Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 28 2009, 18:24

DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Wednesday, 28 October 2009
Saint Simon and Saint Jude, apostles - Feast

Today the Church celebrates : Sts. Simon and Jude, apostles (Feast)

Vatican Council II: "A great crowd of his disciples and a large number of the people from all Judea and Jerusalem and the coastal region of Tyre and Sidon came to hear him"

Letter to the Ephesians 2:19-22.

So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone. Through him the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord; in him you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Psalms 19(18):2-3.4-5.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder's craft.
One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge.
There is no word or sound; no voice is heard;
Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world. God has pitched there a tent for the sun;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:12-19.

In those days he departed to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God. When day came, he called his disciples to himself, and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named apostles: Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called a Zealot, and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor. And he came down with them and stood on a stretch of level ground. A great crowd of his disciples and a large number of the people from all Judea and Jerusalem and the coastal region of Tyre and Sidon came to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and even those who were tormented by unclean spirits were cured. Everyone in the crowd sought to touch him because power came forth from him and healed them all.

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Dogmatic Constitution on the Church «Lumen gentium », § 24-25

"A great crowd of his disciples and a large number of the people from all Judea and Jerusalem and the coastal region of Tyre and Sidon came to hear him"

Bishops, as successors of the apostles, receive from the Lord, to whom was given all power in heaven and on earth, the mission to teach all nations and to preach the Gospel to every creature, so that all men may attain to salvation by faith, baptism and the fulfillment of the commandments. To fulfill this mission, Christ the Lord promised the Holy Spirit to the Apostles, and on Pentecost day sent the Spirit from heaven, by whose power they would be witnesses to Him before the nations and peoples and kings even to the ends of the earth. And that duty, which the Lord committed to the shepherds of His people, is a true service, which in sacred literature is significantly called "diakonia" or ministry...

Among the principal duties of bishops the preaching of the Gospel occupies an eminent place. For bishops are preachers of the faith, who lead new disciples to Christ, and they are authentic teachers, that is, teachers endowed with the authority of Christ, who preach to the people committed to them the faith they must believe and put into practice, and by the light of the Holy Spirit illustrate that faith. They bring forth from the treasury of Revelation new things and old, making it bear fruit and vigilantly warding off any errors that threaten their flock. Bishops, teaching in communion with the Roman Pontiff, are to be respected by all as witnesses to divine and Catholic truth. In matters of faith and morals, the bishops speak in the name of Christ and the faithful are to accept their teaching and adhere to it with a religious assent.
(Biblical references: Mt 28,18-20; Mc 16,15-16; Ac 1,8; 2,1s; 9,15; 1,17.25; Mt 13,52)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Oct 29 2009, 14:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 29 October 2009
Thursday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Narcissus, Bishop (2nd century)

Saint Jerome : « The Jerusalem above is freeborn, and she is our mother» (Gal 4,26)

Letter to the Romans 8:31-39.

What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but handed him over for us all, how will he not also give us everything else along with him? Who will bring a charge against God's chosen ones? It is God who acquits us. Who will condemn? It is Christ (Jesus) who died, rather, was raised, who also is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. What will separate us from the love of Christ? Will anguish, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or the sword? As it is written: "For your sake we are being slain all the day; we are looked upon as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalms 109(108):21-22.26-27.30-31.

But you, LORD, my God, deal kindly with me for your name's sake; in your great mercy rescue me.
For I am sorely in need; my heart is pierced within me.
Help me, LORD, my God; save me in your kindness.
Make them know this is your hand, that you, LORD, have acted.
I will give fervent thanks to the LORD; before all I will praise my God.
For God stands at the right hand of the poor to defend them against unjust accusers.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:31-35.

At that time some Pharisees came to him and said, "Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you." He replied, "Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I accomplish my purpose. Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day, for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem.' Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were unwilling! Behold, your house will be abandoned. (But) I tell you, you will not see me until (the time comes when) you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

Commentary of the day :

Saint Jerome (347-420), priest, translator of the Bible, Doctor of the Church
Letter 58, 2-4 ; PL 22, 580-582

« The Jerusalem above is freeborn, and she is our mother» (Gal 4,26)

What we should congratulate ourselves about is not our having been to Jerusalem but our having lived uprightly there. The city we should be seeking is not the one that killed the prophets and shed the blood of Christ but the one made glad by the torrents of its river; the one that, built on a hilltop, cannot be hidden; that the apostle Paul declares to be the mother of the saints and in which he rejoices to dwell with the righteous (Ps 46[45], 5; Mt 5,14; Gal 4,26)... I should not dream of restricting God's almighty power to a single region or confine within a tiny parcel of land him whom heaven itself cannot contain. Believers are valued according to the merits of their faith and not the place they live in. And God's true worshippers have no need of Jerusalem or Mount Gerizim to worship the Father because «God is spirit» and his worshippers should «worship him in spirit and truth» (Jn 4,21-23). Now, «the Spirit breathes where he will» (Jn 3,8) and «the Lord's is the earth and its fullness» (Ps 24[23],1)...

The holy places of the cross and resurrection are only of use to those who carry their cross, rise with Christ daily and prove themselves worthy of living in such localities. As for those who say: «The Temple of the Lord, the Temple of the Lord, the Temple of the Lord» (Jer 3,8), let them listen to the apostle's words: «Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells within you?» (1Cor 3,16)...

So don't think that your faith lacks something if you have not seen Jerusalem nor think me to be the better for living there. But whether here or elsewhere, you will receive your reward equally according to your works in God's sight.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 01 2009, 10:04

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 30 October 2009
Friday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Marcellus, Martyr (3rd century), St. Alphonsus Rodriguez

Catechism of the Catholic Church: The meaning of the Sabbath

Letter to the Romans 9:1-5.

I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie; my conscience joins with the holy Spirit in bearing me witness that I have great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and separated from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kin according to the flesh. They are Israelites; theirs the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; theirs the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, is the Messiah. God who is over all be blessed forever. Amen.

Psalms 147:12-13.14-15.19-20.

Glorify the LORD, Jerusalem; Zion, offer praise to your God,
Who has strengthened the bars of your gates, blessed your children within you,
Brought peace to your borders, and filled you with finest wheat.
The LORD sends a command to earth; his word runs swiftly!
The LORD also proclaims his word to Jacob, decrees and laws to Israel.
God has not done this for other nations; of such laws they know nothing. Hallelujah!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 14:1-6.

On a sabbath he went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees, and the people there were observing him carefully. In front of him there was a man suffering from dropsy. Jesus spoke to the scholars of the law and Pharisees in reply, asking, "Is it lawful to cure on the sabbath or not?" But they kept silent; so he took the man and, after he had healed him, dismissed him. Then he said to them, "Who among you, if your son or ox falls into a cistern, would not immediately pull him out on the sabbath day?" But they were unable to answer his question.

Commentary of the day :

Catechism of the Catholic Church
§345-349

The meaning of the Sabbath

The sabbath - the end of the work of the six days:
The sacred text says that "on the seventh day God finished his work which he had done", that the "heavens and the earth were finished", and that God "rested" on this day and sanctified and blessed it (Gn 2,13). These inspired words are rich in profitable instruction:
In creation God laid a foundation and established laws that remain firm, on which the believer can rely with confidence, for they are the sign and pledge of the unshakeable faithfulness of God's covenant. For his part man must remain faithful to this foundation, and respect the laws which the Creator has written into it.
Creation was fashioned with a view to the sabbath and therefore for the worship and adoration of God. Worship is inscribed in the order of creation. As the rule of St. Benedict says, nothing should take precedence over "the work of God", that is, solemn worship. This indicates the right order of human concerns.
The sabbath is at the heart of Israel's law. To keep the commandments is to correspond to the wisdom and the will of God as expressed in his work of creation.
The eighth day. But for us a new day has dawned: the day of Christ's Resurrection. The seventh day completes the first creation. The eighth day begins the new creation. Thus, the work of creation culminates in the greater work of redemption. The first creation finds its meaning and its summit in the new creation in Christ, the splendour of which surpasses that of the first creation.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 01 2009, 10:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 31 October 2009
Saturday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Quentin, St. Wolfgang

Saint Francis de Sales : "The one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Letter to the Romans 11:1-2.11-12.25-29.

I ask, then, has God rejected his people? Of course not! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? Hence I ask, did they stumble so as to fall? Of course not! But through their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make them jealous. Now if their transgression is enrichment for the world, and if their diminished number is enrichment for the Gentiles, how much more their full number. I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers, so that you will not become wise (in) your own estimation: a hardening has come upon Israel in part, until the full number of the Gentiles comes in, and thus all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The deliverer will come out of Zion, he will turn away godlessness from Jacob; and this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins." In respect to the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.

Psalms 94(93):12-13.14-15.17-18.

Happy those whom you guide, LORD, whom you teach by your instruction.
You give them rest from evil days, while a pit is being dug for the wicked.
You, LORD, will not forsake your people, nor abandon your very own.
Judgment shall again be just, and all the upright of heart will follow it.
If the LORD were not my help, I would long have been silent in the grave.
When I say, "My foot is slipping," your love, LORD, holds me up.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 14:1.7-11.

On a sabbath he went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees, and the people there were observing him carefully. He told a parable to those who had been invited, noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table. When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not recline at table in the place of honor. A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him, and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say, 'Give your place to this man,' and then you would proceed with embarrassment to take the lowest place. Rather, when you are invited, go and take the lowest place so that when the host comes to you he may say, 'My friend, move up to a higher position.' Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Francis de Sales (1567-1622), Bishop of Geneva and Doctor of the Church
Conversations 5

"The one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Humility is not just about self-mistrust but about the entrusting of ourselves to God. Distrusting ourselves and our own strength produces trust in God and, from that trust, generosity of soul is born. The most holy Virgin, Our Lady, gave us an outstanding example of this when she spoke these words: «Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord, let it be done to me according to your word» (Lk 1,38). When she said she was the handmaid of the Lord she was performing the greatest act of humility it is possible to do, and all the more so in that she was contradicting the praise given her by the angel – that she would be mother of God, that the child to be born from her womb would be called Son of the Most High, a greater dignity than any we might imagine – I say, she opposed her lowliness and unworthiness to all these praises and greatness by saying that she was the handmaid of the Lord. Yet note how, no sooner had she rendered her duty to humility, than she practised notable generosity by saying: «May it be to me according to your word».

What she wanted to say was that, it is true I am in no way capable of this grace if one is to consider what I am of myself, but insofar as what is good in me comes from God and what you say to me is his own most holy will, I believe it may happen and will happen. And so, without the least hesitation, she said: «Let it be done to me according to your word».
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 01 2009, 10:37

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 01 November 2009
All Saints - Solemnity

Today the Church celebrates : Solemnity of All Saints

Blessed Jan van Ruusbroec : With all the saints

Book of Revelation 7:2-4.9-14.

Then I saw another angel come up from the East, holding the seal of the living God. He cried out in a loud voice to the four angels who were given power to damage the land and the sea, "Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees until we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God." I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal, one hundred and forty-four thousand marked from every tribe of the Israelites: After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands. They cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation comes from our God, who is seated on the throne, and from the Lamb." All the angels stood around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They prostrated themselves before the throne, worshiped God, and exclaimed: "Amen. Blessing and glory, wisdom and thanksgiving, honor, power, and might be to our God forever and ever. Amen." Then one of the elders spoke up and said to me, "Who are these wearing white robes, and where did they come from?" I said to him, "My lord, you are the one who knows." He said to me, "These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Psalms 24(23):1-2.3-4.5-6.

A psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S and all it holds, the world and those who live there.
For God founded it on the seas, established it over the rivers.
Who may go up the mountain of the LORD? Who can stand in his holy place?
"The clean of hand and pure of heart, who are not devoted to idols, who have not sworn falsely.
They will receive blessings from the LORD, and justice from their saving God.
Such are the people that love the LORD, that seek the face of the God of Jacob." Selah

First Letter of John 3:1-3.

See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God. Yet so we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God's children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope based on him makes himself pure, as he is pure.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:1-12.

When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him. He began to teach them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Jan van Ruusbroec (1293-1381), Canon Regular
The seven steps of the ladder of spiritual love (trans. F. Sherwood Taylor)

With all the saints

But in the last day of the judgement of God, after we shall have risen again with our glorified bodies through the power of the Lord, these same shall be white and gleaming as snow shining clear in the sun, transparent as crystal... And Christ our cantor and precentor shall sing with His glorious sweet voice an endless canticle of the praise and honour of His heavenly Father; and we shall all sing the same With glad heart and clear voice, eternally and without end. The joy and glory of our souls shall flow into our senses and through all our members; and we shall look upon ourselves with eyes of glory, hearing and declaring and singing the praise of the Lord with unfailing voices.

Christ shall minister to us and show us His radiant Face and His glorious Body with all the marks of faithfulness and love therein impressed. And we shall see all the glorious bodies clothed with all the many tokens of love won in the service of God since the beginning of the world... And our living hearts shall flame with burning love for God and all His saints...

Christ in His human nature shall rule the right-hand choir, for He is the loftiest and noblest being of all that has been made by God; and to this choir belong all in whom He lives and who live in Him. The other choir is that of the angels: for although they are of a more excellent nature, we have a higher gift in Jesus Christ, with Whom we are one. And on that account Christ Jesus will be the High Priest between the choirs of angels and of men before the throne of the sovereign majesty of God. And before His heavenly Father, God Almighty, He will offer and renew all sacrifices which have ever been offered by angels and by men: and these same shall be ceaselessly renewed and remain established in the glory of God.
Back to top Go down
RINGO STARR
Haligi ng Konek
 Haligi ng Konek

Date Joined : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 01 2009, 12:05

Thanks ely...
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:36

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 02 November 2009
The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)

Today the Church celebrates : The Commemoration of all of the Faithful Departed

Saint Irenaeus of Lyons : Like a grain of wheat

Book of Wisdom 3:1-9.

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them. They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace. For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality; Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself. As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself. In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble; They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever. Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love: Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with the elect.

Psalms 27:1.4.7.8.9.13-14.

Of David The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? The LORD is my life's refuge; of whom am I afraid?
One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, To gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.
I Hear my voice, LORD, when I call; have mercy on me and answer me.
"Come," says my heart, "seek God's face"; your face, LORD, do I seek!
Do not hide your face from me; do not repel your servant in anger. You are my help; do not cast me off; do not forsake me, God my savior!
But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!

Letter to the Romans 6:3-9.

Or are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life. For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection. We know that our old self was crucified with him, so that our sinful body might be done away with, that we might no longer be in slavery to sin. For a dead person has been absolved from sin. If, then, we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him. We know that Christ, raised from the dead, dies no more; death no longer has power over him.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:31-46.

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?' And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Irenaeus of Lyons (c.130-c.208), Bishop, theologian and martyr
Against the Heresies V, 2,3 (SC 153, p. 37s rev.)

Like a grain of wheat

The stem of the vine, originally planted in the earth, bears fruit when the time comes. So, too, the grain of wheat, after falling into the earth and decaying there (cf. Jn 12,24), rises up again more numerous through the Spirit of God who upholds all things. Then, thanks to those who have the skill, they are made ready for our use and finally, receiving the Word of God, become eucharist – that is to say, the Body and Blood of Christ.

In the same way, our bodies, nourished by this eucharist, having lain in the earth and corrupted, will rise again when the time comes, when God's Word will repay them with resurrection «to the glory of God the Father» (Phil 2,11). For he will gain immortality for what is mortal and incorruptibility for what is corruptible (cf. 1Cor 15,53) since God's power makes use of weakness (cf. 2Cor 12,9).

Under these conditions let us keep good watch over ourselves from becoming puffed up with pride as though it were from ourselves that life comes to us, and from vaunting ourselves against God by allowing thoughts of ingratitude. To the contrary, knowing from experience that it is from his greatness... that we have power to live for ever we shall never turn aside from right thinking about God and ourselves. We shall know what power God possessed and what blessings humanity has received from him. We shall make no mistake concerning the real idea we should have about God and man. Besides..., if God allows our dissolution in the earth, isn't it precisely so that, being taught by these things, we might be watchful in everything from henceforward, misjudging neither God nor ourselves?... If the chalice and the bread become eucharist through the Word of God, how can we argue that our flesh is incapable of eternal life?
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:37

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 03 November 2009
Tuesday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Winifred, St. Martin de Porres, St. Hubert, Bishop (657-727)

Baldwin of Ford : "Blessed is the one who will dine in the kingdom of God."

Letter to the Romans 12:5-16.

so we, though many, are one body in Christ and individually parts of one another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us exercise them: if prophecy, in proportion to the faith; if ministry, in ministering; if one is a teacher, in teaching; if one exhorts, in exhortation; if one contributes, in generosity; if one is over others, with diligence; if one does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor. Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the holy ones, exercise hospitality. Bless those who persecute (you), bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Have the same regard for one another; do not be haughty but associate with the lowly; do not be wise in your own estimation.

Psalms 131:1.2.3.

A song of ascents. Of David. LORD, my heart is not proud; nor are my eyes haughty. I do not busy myself with great matters, with things too sublime for me.
Rather, I have stilled my soul, hushed it like a weaned child. Like a weaned child on its mother's lap, so is my soul within me.
Israel, hope in the LORD, now and forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 14:15-24.

One of his fellow guests on hearing this said to him, "Blessed is the one who will dine in the kingdom of God." He replied to him, "A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many. When the time for the dinner came, he dispatched his servant to say to those invited, 'Come, everything is now ready.' But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, 'I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; I ask you, consider me excused.' And another said, 'I have purchased five yoke of oxen and am on my way to evaluate them; I ask you, consider me excused.' And another said, 'I have just married a woman, and therefore I cannot come.' The servant went and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame.' The servant reported, 'Sir, your orders have been carried out and still there is room.' The master then ordered the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedgerows and make people come in that my home may be filled. For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.'"

Commentary of the day :

Baldwin of Ford (?-c.1190), Cistercian abbot
The Sacrament of the altar, II, 3 ; PL 204, 691

"Blessed is the one who will dine in the kingdom of God."

The psalmist says: «Bread fortifies the heart of man and wine rejoices his heart» (Ps 104[103],15). For those who believe in him Christ is food and drink, bread and wine. He is bread when he strengthens and establishes us according to Peter's words: «After you have suffered a little, the God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory in Christ will restore, strengthen and establish you» (1Pt 5,10). He is drink and wine when he makes us glad according to the words of the Psalmist: «Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul» (Ps 86[85],4).

Everything in us that is strong, steadfast, firm, happy and joyful to carry out God's commands, bear with misfortune, act obediently, stand up for justice: all these things come from this bread's strength, this wine's gladness. Happy are they whose deeds are strong and joyful! And since no one can do it of themselves: happy are they who have an eager desire to cleave to what is just and right and to be strengthened in everything and rejoice through him who said: «Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness» (Mt 5,6). If Christ is food and drink even now for the strength and joy of the righteous, how much more so will he be in the life to come when he will give to the righteous without measure?
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:37

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 04 November 2009
Wednesday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Charles Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan (1538-1584)

Saint Bonaventure : Saint Francis renounces everything to follow Christ

Letter to the Romans 13:8-10.

Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying, (namely) "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no evil to the neighbor; hence, love is the fulfillment of the law.

Psalms 112(111):1-2.4-5.9.

Hallelujah! Happy are those who fear the LORD, who greatly delight in God's commands.
Their descendants shall be mighty in the land, generation upright and blessed.
They shine through the darkness, a light for the upright; they are gracious, merciful, and just.
All goes well for those gracious in lending, who conduct their affairs with justice.
Lavishly they give to the poor; their prosperity shall endure forever; their horn shall be exalted in honor.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 14:25-33.

Great crowds were traveling with him, and he turned and addressed them, If any one comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. Which of you wishing to construct a tower does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion? Otherwise, after laying the foundation and finding himself unable to finish the work the onlookers should laugh at him and say, 'This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.' Or what king marching into battle would not first sit down and decide whether with ten thousand troops he can successfully oppose another king advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops? But if not, while he is still far away, he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms. In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bonaventure (1221-1274), Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
The Life of Saint Francis, Legenda major, ch. 2 (©Classics of Western Spirituality)

Saint Francis renounces everything to follow Christ

Francis' father led this child of his before the bishop. He wanted to have Francis renounce into his hands his family possessions and return everything he had. A true lover of poverty, Francis showed himself eager to comply; he went before the bishop without delaying or hesitating. He did not wait for any words nor did he speak any, but immediately took his clothes and gave them back to his father... Drunk with remarkable fervor, he even took off his underwear, stripping himself completely naked before all. He said to his father: "Until now I have called you father here on earth, but now I can say without reservation, 'Our Father who art in heaven' (Matt. 6:9), since I have placed all my treasure and all my hope in him."

When the bishop saw this, he was amazed at such intense fervor in the man of God. He immediately stood up and in tears drew Francis into his arms, covering him with the mantle he was wearing, like the pious and good man that he was. He bade servants give Francis something to cover his body. They brought him a poor, cheap cloak of a farmer who worked for the bishop. Francis accepted it gratefully and with his hand marked a cross on it with a piece of chalk, thus de signifying it as the covering of a crucified man and a half-naked beggar. Thus the servant of the Most High King was left naked so that he might follow his naked crucified Lord, whom he loved.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:38

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 05 November 2009
Thursday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Bertilla, Abbess (7th century)

Ludolph of Saxony : Come, seek your lost sheep

Letter to the Romans 14:7-12.

None of us lives for oneself, and no one dies for oneself. For if we live, we live for the Lord, and if we die, we die for the Lord; so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For this is why Christ died and came to life, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living. Why then do you judge your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written: "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bend before me, and every tongue shall give praise to God." So (then) each of us shall give an account of himself (to God).

Psalms 27:1.4.13-14.

Of David The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? The LORD is my life's refuge; of whom am I afraid?
One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, To gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.
But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 15:1-10.

The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to him, but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." So to them he addressed this parable. What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance. Or what woman having ten coins and losing one would not light a lamp and sweep the house, searching carefully until she finds it? And when she does find it, she calls together her friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.' In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Commentary of the day :

Ludolph of Saxony (c.1300-1378), Dominican then Carthusian at Strasbourg
Prayers to Jésus Christ, CLD

Come, seek your lost sheep

Lord Jesus Christ, to teach us the summit of virtue you ascended the mountain with your disciples and taught them the Beatitudes and highest virtues, promising them the rewards applicable to each. Grant that my weakness may hear your voice, that I may apply myself through their practice to acquire the merit of the virtues so that by your mercy I may receive the promised reward. As I consider the payment do not let me refuse the effort of the labor. Make my hope of eternal salvation sweeten the bitterness of the cure, inflaming my soul with the splendor of your work. Out of the wretched person I am, create one of the blessed; from the blessedness here below lead me through your grace to the blessedness of the homeland.

Come, Lord Jesus Christ, in search of your servant, seeking your erring and exhausted sheep. Come, Spouse of the Church, in search of your lost coin. Come, Father of mercies, welcome the prodigal son returning to you. Come, then, Lord, for you are the only one able to call back the sheep that has strayed, to find the lost drachma, to reconcile the runaway son. Cone, that there may be salvation on earth and joy in heaven! Turn me towards you and grant that I may carry out a true and perfect repentance so that I may become an occasion for joy among the angels. Sweetest Jesus, I pray you, by the immensity of your love for me, a sinner, grant that I may love you alone above all things, that I may be consoled by none but you, my sweetest God!
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:38

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 06 November 2009
Friday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Leonard (+ c. 550)

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus : The good use of riches

Letter to the Romans 15:14-21.

I myself am convinced about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and able to admonish one another. But I have written to you rather boldly in some respects to remind you, because of the grace given me by God to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in performing the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering up of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the holy Spirit. In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to boast in what pertains to God. For I will not dare to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to lead the Gentiles to obedience by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit (of God), so that from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum I have finished preaching the gospel of Christ. Thus I aspire to proclaim the gospel not where Christ has already been named, so that I do not build on another's foundation, but as it is written: "Those who have never been told of him shall see, and those who have never heard of him shall understand."

Psalms 98:1.2-4.

Sing a new song to the LORD, who has done marvelous deeds, Whose right hand and holy arm have won the victory.
The LORD has made his victory known; has revealed his triumph for the nations to see,
Has remembered faithful love toward the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the LORD, all the earth; break into song; sing praise.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 16:1-8.

Then he also said to his disciples, "A rich man had a steward who was reported to him for squandering his property. He summoned him and said, 'What is this I hear about you? Prepare a full account of your stewardship, because you can no longer be my steward.' The steward said to himself, 'What shall I do, now that my master is taking the position of steward away from me? I am not strong enough to dig and I am ashamed to beg. I know what I shall do so that, when I am removed from the stewardship, they may welcome me into their homes.' He called in his master's debtors one by one. To the first he said, 'How much do you owe my master?' He replied, 'One hundred measures of olive oil.' He said to him, 'Here is your promissory note. Sit down and quickly write one for fifty.' Then to another he said, 'And you, how much do you owe?' He replied, 'One hundred kors of wheat.' He said to him, 'Here is your promissory note; write one for eighty.' And the master commended that dishonest steward for acting prudently. "For the children of this world are more prudent in dealing with their own generation than are the children of light.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus (1873-1897), Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Autobiographical Manuscript B, 4r°

The good use of riches

Oh Jesus, I know that love is repaid with love alone, and I have searched and found the way to soothe my heart by returning to you Love for Love. «Make friends for yourselves through your use of this world's goods, so that when they fail you, a lasting reception will be yours.» (Lk 16:9) That is the advice you gave your disciples, Lord, after telling them that «the children of darkness are more capable of looking after their affairs than the children of light.» As a child of light, I understood that my desire to be everything, to embrace every vocation, was a wealth that could easily make me unrighteous, so I used it to make friends for myself. I remembered Elisha's request of his father Elijah when he dared to ask him for a «double portion of his spirit» (2 Kings 2:9), and I came before the angels and saints and told them: «I am the smallest of creatures, I know my poverty and weakness, but I also know how much noble and generous hearts love to do good. So I beg you, Oh blessed inhabitants of Heaven, I beg you to adopt me as your child. To you alone will be the glory that you let me acquire, but deign to hear my prayer. It is foolhardy, I know, however I dare to ask you to obtain for me a double portion of your Love.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:39

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 07 November 2009
Saturday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Willibrord, Bishop (657-739)

Saint Clement of Alexandria : "You cannot serve God and mammon"

Letter to the Romans 16:3-9.16.22-27.

Greet Prisca and Aquila, my co-workers in Christ Jesus, who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I am grateful but also all the churches of the Gentiles; greet also the church at their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the firstfruits in Asia for Christ. Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you. Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives and my fellow prisoners; they are prominent among the apostles and they were in Christ before me. Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our co-worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you. I, Tertius, the writer of this letter, greet you in the Lord. Gaius, who is host to me and to the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the city treasurer, and our brother Quartus greet you. ) ( Now to him who can strengthen you, according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret for long ages but now manifested through the prophetic writings and, according to the command of the eternal God, made known to all nations to bring about the obedience of faith, to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ be glory forever and ever. Amen.)

Psalms 145(144):2-3.4-5.10-11.

Every day I will bless you; I will praise your name forever.
Great is the LORD and worthy of high praise; God's grandeur is beyond understanding.
One generation praises your deeds to the next and proclaims your mighty works.
They speak of the splendor of your majestic glory, tell of your wonderful deeds.
All your works give you thanks, O LORD and your faithful bless you.
They speak of the glory of your reign and tell of your great works,

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 16:9-15.

I tell you, make friends for yourselves with dishonest wealth, so that when it fails, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings. The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones. If, therefore, you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth, who will trust you with true wealth? If you are not trustworthy with what belongs to another, who will give you what is yours? No servant can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all these things and sneered at him. And he said to them, "You justify yourselves in the sight of others, but God knows your hearts; for what is of human esteem is an abomination in the sight of God.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Clement of Alexandria (150- around 215), theologian
Who is the rich man that can be saved?

"You cannot serve God and mammon"

There is a kind of riches that sows death wherever it holds sway: free yourselves from it and you will be saved. Purify your soul; make it poor so that you may be able to hear the Savior's call repeating: «Come, follow me» (Mk 10,21). He is the way on which the pure in heart walk; God's grace doesn't penetrate the soul that is burdened and pulled apart by a great number of possessions.

People who look upon their fortune, their gold and silver and houses, as God's gifts, witness to their gratitude to God by assisting the poor with their goods. They know they possess them more on their brethrens' account than on their own. They remain in control of their riches rather than becoming its slave. Such as these do not shut them up within their soul any more than they keep their life in them but untiringly follow after a wholly divine life. And if it should happen that their fortune vanishes they accept their ruin with a free heart. God calls «blessed» such as these and calls them «poor in spirit», certain heirs to the Kingdom of heaven (Mt 5,3)...

On the other hand, there are those who hug their wealth, rather than the Holy Spirit, to their heart. Such as these keep all their lands for themselves, endlessly add to their fortune and have no worries about anything except to be amassing more all the time. They never lift their eyes to heaven but wallow in material things. Indeed, these are no more than dust and will return to dust (Gen 3,19). How can anyone experience a desire for the Kingdom who carries a field or a mine instead of a heart within? Death will inevitably surprise this person in the midst of their uncontrollable desires. For «where your treasure is, there also will your heart be» (Mt 6,21).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:40

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 08 November 2009
Thirty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Godfrey, Bishop (1066-1115), Blessed John Duns Scotus, O.F.M. (c.1266-1308)

Saint Anselm : "She has contributed all she had"

1st book of Kings 17:10-16.

He left and went to Zarephath. As he arrived at the entrance of the city, a widow was gathering sticks there; he called out to her, "Please bring me a small cupful of water to drink." She left to get it, and he called out after her, "Please bring along a bit of bread." "As the LORD, your God, lives," she answered, "I have nothing baked; there is only a handful of flour in my jar and a little oil in my jug. Just now I was collecting a couple of sticks, to go in and prepare something for myself and my son; when we have eaten it, we shall die." "Do not be afraid," Elijah said to her. "Go and do as you propose. But first make me a little cake and bring it to me. Then you can prepare something for yourself and your son. For the LORD, the God of Israel, says, 'The jar of flour shall not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, until the day when the LORD sends rain upon the earth.'" She left and did as Elijah had said. She was able to eat for a year, and he and her son as well; The jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, as the LORD had foretold through Elijah.

Psalms 146:7.8-9.10.

secures justice for the oppressed, gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free;
the LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
The LORD protects the stranger, sustains the orphan and the widow, but thwarts the way of the wicked.
The LORD shall reign forever, your God, Zion, through all generations! Hallelujah!

Letter to the Hebrews 9:24-28.

For Christ did not enter into a sanctuary made by hands, a copy of the true one, but heaven itself, that he might now appear before God on our behalf. Not that he might offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters each year into the sanctuary with blood that is not his own; if that were so, he would have had to suffer repeatedly from the foundation of the world. But now once for all he has appeared at the end of the ages to take away sin by his sacrifice. Just as it is appointed that human beings die once, and after this the judgment, so also Christ, offered once to take away the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to take away sin but to bring salvation to those who eagerly await him.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 12:38-44.

In the course of his teaching he said, "Beware of the scribes, who like to go around in long robes and accept greetings in the marketplaces, seats of honor in synagogues, and places of honor at banquets. They devour the houses of widows and, as a pretext, recite lengthy prayers. They will receive a very severe condemnation." He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, "Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Anselm (1033-1109), monk, bishop, doctor of the Church
Letter 112, to Hugh the recluse

"She has contributed all she had"

In the Kingdom of heaven absolutely everyone, as one person, will become one king alongside God, because all will desire one thing alone and their wish will be fulfilled. This is the good thing that, from heaven's heights, God puts up for sale.

Now if someone is wondering what the cost is, here is their answer: he who offers a Kingdom in heaven has no need of earthly coin. No one can offer God anything except what already belongs to him since all that exists is his. And yet God does not give away so great a thing without a price being placed on it: he does not give it to someone who doesn't value it. For indeed, nobody gives away something they hold dear without placing some kind of value on it. From now on, then, if God has no need of your goods neither does he have to give you this great thing if you refuse to love him: all he requires is love, without which nothing constrains his giving. Love, then, and you will receive the Kingdom; love, and you will possess it... Love God more than yourself and already you begin to have what it is you desire to possess fully in heaven.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:41

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 09 November 2009
The Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome - Feast

Today the Church celebrates : Dedication of St. John Lateran (Feast)

Saint Augustine : The holy Temple, the Body of Christ

Book of Ezekiel 47:1-2.8-9.12.

Then he brought me back to the entrance of the temple, and I saw water flowing out from beneath the threshold of the temple toward the east, for the facade of the temple was toward the east; the water flowed down from the southern side of the temple, south of the altar. He led me outside by the north gate, and around to the outer gate facing the east, where I saw water trickling from the southern side. He said to me, "This water flows into the eastern district down upon the Arabah, and empties into the sea, the salt waters, which it makes fresh. Wherever the river flows, every sort of living creature that can multiply shall live, and there shall be abundant fish, for wherever this water comes the sea shall be made fresh. Along both banks of the river, fruit trees of every kind shall grow; their leaves shall not fade, nor their fruit fail. Every month they shall bear fresh fruit, for they shall be watered by the flow from the sanctuary. Their fruit shall serve for food, and their leaves for medicine."

Psalms 46(45):2-3.5-6.8-9.

God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in distress.
Thus we do not fear, though earth be shaken and mountains quake to the depths of the sea,
Streams of the river gladden the city of God, the holy dwelling of the Most High.
God is in its midst; it shall not be shaken; God will help it at break of day.
The LORD of hosts is with us; our stronghold is the God of Jacob. Selah
Come and see the works of the LORD, who has done fearsome deeds on earth;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 2:13-22.

Since the Passover of the Jews was near, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. He found in the temple area those who sold oxen, sheep, and doves, as well as the money-changers seated there. He made a whip out of cords and drove them all out of the temple area, with the sheep and oxen, and spilled the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables, and to those who sold doves he said, "Take these out of here, and stop making my Father's house a marketplace." His disciples recalled the words of scripture, "Zeal for your house will consume me." At this the Jews answered and said to him, "What sign can you show us for doing this?" Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews said, "This temple has been under construction for forty-six years, and you will raise it up in three days?" But he was speaking about the temple of his body. Therefore, when he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they came to believe the scripture and the word Jesus had spoken.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Sermon on Psalm 130, § 1-2

The holy Temple, the Body of Christ

The apostle Paul says: «The Temple of God, which you are, is holy» (1Cor 3,17), that is to say: all you who believe in Christ, believing even to loving... All who thus believe are the living stones of which God's temple is built (1Pt 2,5); they are like the imperishable wood of which the ark was built that the flood could not overwhelm (Gn 6,14). This temple - the people of God, human persons themselves – is the place where God answers those who pray. People who pray to God outside this temple cannot have their prayers for the peace of the Jerusalem above answered even though they are answered regarding particular material things that God grants even to pagans... But it is an altogether different thing to have one's prayers answered in the matter of eternal life. This is only granted to those who pray inside God's temple.

For someone who prays within God's temple prays within the peace of the Church, in the unity of Christ's body, since the Body of Christ is built up of the multitude of believers spread over all the world... And someone who prays in the peace of the Church prays «in spirit and in truth» (Jn 4,23) of which the former Temple was only a symbol. In fact it was for our instruction that our Lord cast out of the Temple those men who were only seeking their own interest and who only went there to buy and sell. If that first Temple had to undergo this purification then it is clear that the Body of Christ too, the true temple, also contains buyers and sellers among those who pray there, that is to say, people only seeking «their own interests and not those of Jesus Christ» (Phil 2,21)... But the time will come when the Lord will cast out all those sins.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:41

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 10 November 2009
Tuesday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church (+ 461) - Memorial, St. Andrew Avellino, Priest (1561-1608)

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta : "We are unprofitable servants"

Book of Wisdom 2:23-25.3:1-9.

For God formed man to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made him. But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world, and they who are in his possession experience it. But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them. They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace. For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality; Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself. As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself. In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble; They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever. Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love: Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with the elect.

Psalms 34(33):2-3.16-17.18-19.

I will bless the LORD at all times; praise shall be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the LORD that the poor may hear and be glad.
The LORD has eyes for the just and ears for their cry.
The LORD'S face is against evildoers to wipe out their memory from the earth.
When the just cry out, the LORD hears and rescues them from all distress.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted, saves those whose spirit is crushed.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:7-10.

Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, 'Come here immediately and take your place at table'? Would he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat. Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished'? Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded? So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'"

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997), founder of the Missionary Sisters of Charity
A Simple Path

"We are unprofitable servants"

Do not worry about why problems exist in the world – just respond to people's needs. Some say to me that if we give charity to others it'll diminish the responsibility of government towards the needy and the poor. I don't concern myself with this, because governments do not usually offer love. I just do what I can do: the rest is not my business.

God has been so good to us: works of love are always a means of becoming closer to God. Look at what Jesus did in His life on earth! He spent it just doing good (Acts 10,38). I remind the sisters that three years of Jesus's life were spent healing the sick and the lepers, children and other people; and that's exactly what we're doing, preaching the Gospel through our actions.

It is a privilege for us to serve, and it's a real, wholehearted service that we try and give. We feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but that ocean would be less without that drop.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 11 2009, 10:42

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 11 November 2009
Wednesday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Martin of Tours, Bishop (+ 397) - Memorial

Saint Bernard : "Is there none but this foreigner?"

Book of Wisdom 6:2-11.

Hearken, you who are in power over the multitude and lord it over throngs of peoples! Because authority was given you by the LORD and sovereignty by the Most High, who shall probe your works and scrutinize your counsels! Because, though you were ministers of his kingdom, you judged not rightly, and did not keep the law, nor walk according to the will of God, Terribly and swiftly shall he come against you, because judgment is stern for the exalted- For the lowly may be pardoned out of mercy but the mighty shall be mightily put to the test. For the Lord of all shows no partiality, nor does he fear greatness, Because he himself made the great as well as the small, and he provides for all alike; but for those in power a rigorous scrutiny impends. To you, therefore, O princes, are my words addressed that you may learn wisdom and that you may not sin. For those who keep the holy precepts hallowed shall be found holy, and those learned in them will have ready a response. Desire therefore my words; long for them and you shall be instructed.

Psalms 82(81):3-4.6-7.

Defend the lowly and fatherless; render justice to the afflicted and needy.
Rescue the lowly and poor; deliver them from the hand of the wicked."
I declare: "Gods though you be, offspring of the Most High all of you,
Yet like any mortal you shall die; like any prince you shall fall."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:11-19.

As he continued his journey to Jerusalem, he traveled through Samaria and Galilee. As he was entering a village, ten lepers met (him). They stood at a distance from him and raised their voice, saying, "Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!" And when he saw them, he said, "Go show yourselves to the priests." As they were going they were cleansed. And one of them, realizing he had been healed, returned, glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him. He was a Samaritan. Jesus said in reply, "Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?" Then he said to him, "Stand up and go; your faith has saved you."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bernard (1091-1153), Cistercian monk and doctor of the Church
Sermon 27

"Is there none but this foreigner?"

How happy was that Samaritan leper who recognised that «he possessed nothing that he had not received» (1Cor 4,7). «He guarded what had been entrusted to him» (2Tm 1,12) and turned back to the Lord to thank him. Blessed are they who, after each gift of grace, turn back to him in whom is the fullness of all the graces, for if we show ourselves thankful in regard to him for all we have received then we make ready a place for grace within ourselves... in even greater abundance. In fact our ingratitude is the only thing that prevents us making progress following our conversion...

Happy, then, are they who think of themselves as strangers and who give great thanks for even the least blessing, thinking that everything given to a stranger and foreigner is a wholly free gift. How unfortunate and wretched we are, on the other hand, if after first of all appearing timid, humble and pious we then forget just how freely given is what we have received...

I beg you then, brethren, let us remain ever more humbly under the mighty hand of God (1Pt 5,6)... Let us continue in thanksgiving with great devotion and he will grant us the grace that alone can save our souls. Let us show our gratitude, not just in our words and on our lips but in deed and in truth.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:07

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 12 November 2009
Thursday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Josaphat, Bishop and Martyr (c.1580-1623) - Memorial

Saint Isaac the Syrian : "The kingdom of God is among you."

Book of Wisdom 7:22-30.8:1.

for Wisdom, the artificer of all, taught me. For in her is a spirit intelligent, holy, unique, Manifold, subtle, agile, clear, unstained, certain, Not baneful, loving the good, keen, unhampered, beneficent, kindly, Firm, secure, tranquil, all-powerful, all-seeing, And pervading all spirits, though they be intelligent, pure and very subtle. For Wisdom is mobile beyond all motion, and she penetrates and pervades all things by reason of her purity. For she is an aura of the might of God and a pure effusion of the glory of the Almighty; therefore nought that is sullied enters into her. For she is the refulgence of eternal light, the spotless mirror of the power of God, the image of his goodness. And she, who is one, can do all things, and renews everything while herself perduring; And passing into holy souls from age to age, she produces friends of God and prophets. For there is nought God loves, be it not one who dwells with Wisdom. For she is fairer than the sun and surpasses every constellation of the stars. Compared to light, she takes precedence; for that, indeed, night supplants, but wickedness prevails not over Wisdom. Indeed, she reaches from end to end mightily and governs all things well.

Psalms 119:89.90.91.130.135.175.

Your word, LORD, stands forever; it is firm as the heavens.
Through all generations your truth endures; fixed to stand firm like the earth.
By your edicts they stand firm to this day, for all things are your servants.
The revelation of your words sheds light, gives understanding to the simple.
Let your face shine upon your servant; teach me your laws.
Let me live to praise you; may your edicts give me help.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:20-25.

Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he said in reply, "The coming of the kingdom of God cannot be observed, and no one will announce, 'Look, here it is,' or, 'There it is.' For behold, the kingdom of God is among you." Then he said to his disciples, "The days will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. There will be those who will say to you, 'Look, there he is,' (or) 'Look, here he is.' Do not go off, do not run in pursuit. For just as lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be (in his day). But first he must suffer greatly and be rejected by this generation.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Isaac the Syrian (7th Century), monk near Mosul
Ascetical Discourses, 1st part

"The kingdom of God is among you."

The demons dread, but God and his angels desire the one who fervently seeks God day and night in his heart and repels far away the enemy's attacks. The spiritual country of this person who is pure in soul is within himself: the sun that shines within him is the light of the Holy Trinity; the air breathed by the thoughts within him is the holy Spirit, the Comforter; and the holy angels abide with him. Their life, their joy, their gladness is Christ, light of the Father's light. Such a one continually enjoys the contemplation of his soul, marvelling at the beauty he sees there, shining a hundred times more powerfully than the brightness of the sun.

This is Jerusalem. And it is «the Kingdom of God concealed within us», to use the Lord's own words. This country is the cloud of the glory of God into which only pure hearts can enter to behold their Master's face (Mt 5,8). Their understanding will be enlightened by the rays of his light.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:08

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 13 November 2009
Friday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Stanislaus Kostka (1551-1568)

Saint Benedict : « Awake O sleeper» (Ep 5,14)

Book of Wisdom 13:1-9.

For all men were by nature foolish who were in ignorance of God, and who from the good things seen did not succeed in knowing him who is, and from studying the works did not discern the artisan; But either fire, or wind, or the swift air, or the circuit of the stars, or the mighty water, or the luminaries of heaven, the governors of the world, they considered gods. Now if out of joy in their beauty they thought them gods, let them know how far more excellent is the Lord than these; for the original source of beauty fashioned them. Or if they were struck by their might and energy, let them from these things realize how much more powerful is he who made them. For from the greatness and the beauty of created things their original author, by analogy, is seen. But yet, for these the blame is less; For they indeed have gone astray perhaps, though they seek God and wish to find him. For they search busily among his works, but are distracted by what they see, because the things seen are fair. But again, not even these are pardonable. For if they so far succeeded in knowledge that they could speculate about the world, how did they not more quickly find its LORD?

Psalms 19(18):2-3.4-5.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder's craft.
One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge.
There is no word or sound; no voice is heard;
Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world. God has pitched there a tent for the sun;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:26-37.

As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be in the days of the Son of Man; they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage up to the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Similarly, as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating, drinking, buying, selling, planting, building; on the day when Lot left Sodom, fire and brimstone rained from the sky to destroy them all. So it will be on the day the Son of Man is revealed. On that day, a person who is on the housetop and whose belongings are in the house must not go down to get them, and likewise a person in the field must not return to what was left behind. Remember the wife of Lot. Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses it will save it. I tell you, on that night there will be two people in one bed; one will be taken, the other left. And there will be two women grinding meal together; one will be taken, the other left." They said to him in reply, "Where, Lord?" He said to them, "Where the body is, there also the vultures will gather."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Benedict (480-547), monk
Rule, Prologue, 8-22

« Awake O sleeper» (Ep 5,14)

Up with us then at last, for Scripture arouses us saying: «Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep» (Rm 13,11). Let us open our eyes to the divine light, and let us hear with attentive ears the warning that the divine voice cries daily to us : «Today if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts» (Ps 95[94],8). And again: «He who has ears to hear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches» (Rv 2,7). And what does he say? «Come, children, hear me and I will teach you the fear of the Lord» (Ps 34[33],12). «Run while you have the light of life , lest the darkness of death overtake you» (Jn 12,35).

And the Lord, seeking his worker among the multitudes to whom he thus cries, says again: «Which of you desires life and would like to see prosperous days? (Ps 34[33],13) And if hearing him you answer, "I am he," God says to you: if you would have true and everlasting life, «keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Turn away from evil and do good; seek after peace and pursue it» (Ps 34[33],14-15). And when you have done these things, my eyes will be upon you and my ears open unto
your prayers. And before you call me, I shall say to you, "Lo, here I am" (Is 58,9).

What can be sweeter to us, dearest brethren, than this voice of our Lord inviting us? Behold in his loving mercy the Lord show us the way of life. Let us therefore gird our loins with faith and the performance of good deeds, and following the guidance of the gospel, walk in his paths so that we may merit to see him who has called us into his Kingdom (1Thes 2,12). For if we wish to live in the dwellings of his Kingdom, unless we run there with good deeds we shall not arrive.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:08

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 14 November 2009
Saturday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Lawrence O'Toole, Archbishop of Dublin (c. 1125-1180)

Saint José Maria Escriva de Balaguer : "Pray at all times"

Book of Wisdom 18:14-16.19:6-9.

For when peaceful stillness compassed everything and the night in its swift course was half spent, Your all-powerful word from heaven's royal throne bounded, a fierce warrior, into the doomed land, bearing the sharp sword of your inexorable decree. And as he alighted, he filled every place with death; he still reached to heaven, while he stood upon the earth. For all creation, in its several kinds, was being made over anew, serving its natural laws, that your children might be preserved unharmed. The cloud overshadowed their camp; and out of what had before been water, dry land was seen emerging: Out of the Red Sea an unimpeded road, and a grassy plain out of the mighty flood. Over this crossed the whole nation sheltered by your hand, after they beheld stupendous wonders. For they ranged about like horses, and bounded about like lambs, praising you, O LORD! their deliverer.

Psalms 105(104):2-3.36-37.42-43.

Sing praise, play music; proclaim all his wondrous deeds!
Glory in his holy name; rejoice, O hearts that seek the LORD!
He struck down every firstborn in the land, the first fruits of all their vigor.
He brought his people out, laden with silver and gold; no stragglers among the tribes.
For he remembered his sacred word to Abraham his servant.
He brought his people out with joy, his chosen ones with shouts of triumph.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 18:1-8.

Then he told them a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary. He said, There was a judge in a certain town who neither feared God nor respected any human being. And a widow in that town used to come to him and say, 'Render a just decision for me against my adversary.' For a long time the judge was unwilling, but eventually he thought, 'While it is true that I neither fear God nor respect any human being, because this widow keeps bothering me I shall deliver a just decision for her lest she finally come and strike me.'" The Lord said, "Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says. Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily. But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"

Commentary of the day :

Saint José Maria Escriva de Balaguer (1902-1975), priest, founder
Sermon of 26/03/67 in 'Es Cristo que pasa'

"Pray at all times"

« Pray at all times » commands the apostle Paul (1Th 5,17). Calling to mind this precept, Clement of Alexandria writes: « We have been commanded to praise and honor the Word, which we know to be our Savior and King, and through him the Father, not on certain select days as others do, but continually our whole lives long and in every possible way ».

Amidst our daily occupations, at times when we overcome our egoistical tendencies, when we experience the joy of friendship towards others: at all such times christians must discover God. Through Christ and in the Holy Spirit, christians gain intimacy with God the Father and run along the way as they seek that kingdom which, although it is not of this world (Jn 18,36), is prepared for in this world and begins in this world.

We need to go regularly to Christ in the Word and the Bread, in the eucharist and prayer. And stay with him frequently as one stays with a friend, a real, living being – as Christ is, being risen... Christ, the risen Christ is our companion, our Friend. A companion who is only to be seen in the semi-darkness but whose reality fills our lives and makes us want his company permanently. «The Spirit and the Bride say: Come! Let the hearer say: Come! Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water... The one who gives this testimony says: Yes, I am coming soon! Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!» (Rv 22,17.20).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:09

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 15 November 2009
Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Albert the Great, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (c. 1200-1280)

Cardinal John Henry Newman : The example of the fig tree

Book of Daniel 12:1-3.

"At that time there shall arise Michael, the great prince, guardian of your people; It shall be a time unsurpassed in distress since nations began until that time. At that time your people shall escape, everyone who is found written in the book. Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake; some shall live forever, others shall be an everlasting horror and disgrace. But the wise shall shine brightly like the splendor of the firmament, And those who lead the many to justice shall be like the stars forever.

Psalms 16:5.8.9-10.11.

LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you have made my destiny secure.
I keep the LORD always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure,
For you will not abandon me to Sheol, nor let your faithful servant see the pit.
You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.

Letter to the Hebrews 10:11-14.18.

Every priest stands daily at his ministry, offering frequently those same sacrifices that can never take away sins. But this one offered one sacrifice for sins, and took his seat forever at the right hand of God; now he waits until his enemies are made his footstool. For by one offering he has made perfect forever those who are being consecrated. Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer offering for sin.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 13:24-32.

But in those days after that tribulation the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from the sky, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in the clouds' with great power and glory, and then he will send out the angels and gather (his) elect from the four winds, from the end of the earth to the end of the sky. Learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see these things happening, know that he is near, at the gates. Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Commentary of the day :

Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-1890), priest, founder of a religious community, theologian
« The Invisible World » PPS, IV, 13

The example of the fig tree

Once only in the year, yet once, does the world which we see show forth its hidden powers, and in a manner manifest itself. Then the leaves come out, and the blossoms on the fruit trees, and flowers; and the grass and corn spring up. There is a sudden rush and burst outwardly of that hidden life which God has lodged in the material world. Well, that shows you, as by a sample, what it can do at God's command, when He gives the word. This earth... will one day burst forth into a new world of light and glory, in which, we shall see Saints and Angels dwelling. Who would think, except from his experience of former springs all through his life, who could conceive two or three months before, that it was possible that the face of nature, which then seemed so lifeless, should become so splendid and varied?...

So it is with the coming of that Eternal Spring, for which all Christians are waiting. Come it will, though it delay; yet though it tarry, let us wait for it, "because it will surely come, it will not tarry" (Heb 10,37). Therefore we say day by day, "Thy kingdom come;" which means,- «O Lord, show Thyself; manifest Thyself; Thou that sittest between the cherubim, show Thyself; stir up Thy strength and come and help us» (Ps 80[79],2-3).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:09

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 16 November 2009
Monday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Margaret of Scotland (c. 1046-1093), St. Gertrude the Great, Abbess (+ c. 1302)

Saint Gregory the Great : "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!"

2nd book of Maccabees 1:10-15.41-43.54-57.62-64.

There sprang from these a sinful offshoot, Antiochus Epiphanes, son of King Antiochus, once a hostage at Rome. He became king in the year one hundred and thirty-seven of the kingdom of the Greeks. In those days there appeared in Israel men who were breakers of the law, and they seduced many people, saying: "Let us go and make an alliance with the Gentiles all around us; since we separated from them, many evils have come upon us." The proposal was agreeable; some from among the people promptly went to the king, and he authorized them to introduce the way of living of the Gentiles. Thereupon they built a gymnasium in Jerusalem according to the Gentile custom. They covered over the mark of their circumcision and abandoned the holy covenant; they allied themselves with the Gentiles and sold themselves to wrongdoing. Then the king wrote to his whole kingdom that all should be one people, each abandoning his particular customs. All the Gentiles conformed to the command of the king, and many Israelites were in favor of his religion; they sacrificed to idols and profaned the sabbath. On the fifteenth day of the month Chislev, in the year one hundred and forty-five, the king erected the horrible abomination upon the altar of holocausts, and in the surrounding cities of Judah they built pagan altars. They also burnt incense at the doors of houses and in the streets. Any scrolls of the law which they found they tore up and burnt. Whoever was found with a scroll of the covenant, and whoever observed the law, was condemned to death by royal decree. But many in Israel were determined and resolved in their hearts not to eat anything unclean; they preferred to die rather than to be defiled with unclean food or to profane the holy covenant; and they did die. Terrible affliction was upon Israel.ä»…

Psalms 119:53.61.134.150.155.158.

Rage seizes me because of the wicked; they forsake your teaching.
Though the snares of the wicked surround me, your teaching I do not forget.
Free me from human oppression, that I may keep your precepts.
Malicious persecutors draw near me; they are far from your teaching.
Salvation is far from sinners because they do not cherish your laws.
I view the faithless with loathing, because they do not heed your promise.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 18:35-43.

Now as he approached Jericho a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging, and hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what was happening. They told him, "Jesus of Nazareth is passing by." He shouted, "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!" The people walking in front rebuked him, telling him to be silent, but he kept calling out all the more, "Son of David, have pity on me!" Then Jesus stopped and ordered that he be brought to him; and when he came near, Jesus asked him, What do you want me to do for you? He replied, "Lord, please let me see." Jesus told him, "Have sight; your faith has saved you." He immediately received his sight and followed him, giving glory to God. When they saw this, all the people gave praise to God.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory the Great (c.540-604), Pope, Doctor of the Church
Homily 13 on the Gospel (©Cistercian publications)

"Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!"

We must note that the blind man was enlightened while Jesus is said to be drawing near Jericho. Jericho is interpreted 'moon'. In sacred scripture the moon symbolizes the weakness of our body, since as it wanes in its monthly changes it depicts the weakness of our mortal nature. The blind man came to the light when our Creator drew near Jericho, because when a divine person undertook the weakness of body the human race recovered the light that it had lost. God suffered as a human being, and humans are raised up to divinity.

The humanity represented by this blind man is rightly described as sitting at the wayside and as begging. Truth himself told us: «I am the way» (Jn 14,6). Anyone ignorant of the brightness of eternal light is blind. If he already believes in his Redeemer he is «sitting at the
wayside». If he already believes but only pretends to ask for eternal light, if he refrains from praying, he is indeed a blind man sitting at the wayside... If anyone recognizes the darkness of his blindness, if anyone understands that the light of truth is wanting to him, ket him cry from the bottom of his heart, let him cry also with his whole mind, let him say: «Jesus, son of David, have pity on me!»
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:10

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 17 November 2009
Tuesday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Elizabeth of Hungary (+ 1231) - Memorial

Saint Ephrem : "Today salvation has come to this house"

2nd book of Maccabees 6:18-31.

Eleazar, one of the foremost scribes, a man of advanced age and noble appearance, was being forced to open his mouth to eat pork. But preferring a glorious death to a life of defilement, he spat out the meat, and went forward of his own accord to the instrument of torture, as men ought to do who have the courage to reject the food which it is unlawful to taste even for love of life. Those in charge of that unlawful ritual meal took the man aside privately, because of their long acquaintance with him, and urged him to bring meat of his own providing, such as he could legitimately eat, and to pretend to be eating some of the meat of the sacrifice prescribed by the king; in this way he would escape the death penalty, and be treated kindly because of their old friendship with him. But he made up his mind in a noble manner, worthy of his years, the dignity of his advanced age, the merited distinction of his gray hair, and of the admirable life he had lived from childhood; and so he declared that above all he would be loyal to the holy laws given by God. He told them to send him at once to the abode of the dead, explaining: "At our age it would be unbecoming to make such a pretense; many young men would think the ninety-year-old Eleazar had gone over to an alien religion. Should I thus dissimulate for the sake of a brief moment of life, they would be led astray by me, while I would bring shame and dishonor on my old age. Even if, for the time being, I avoid the punishment of men, I shall never, whether alive or dead, escape the hands of the Almighty. Therefore, by manfully giving up my life now, I will prove myself worthy of my old age, and I will leave to the young a noble example of how to die willingly and generously for the revered and holy laws." He spoke thus, and went immediately to the instrument of torture. Those who shortly before had been kindly disposed, now became hostile toward him because what he had said seemed to them utter madness. When he was about to die under the blows, he groaned and said: "The Lord in his holy knowledge knows full well that, although I could have escaped death, I am not only enduring terrible pain in my body from this scourging, but also suffering it with joy in my soul because of my devotion to him." This is how he died, leaving in his death a model of courage and an unforgettable example of virtue not only for the young but for the whole nation.

Psalms 3:2-3.4-5.6-7.

How many are my foes, LORD! How many rise against me!
How many say of me, "God will not save that one." Selah
But you, LORD, are a shield around me; my glory, you keep my head high.
Whenever I cried out to the LORD, I was answered from the holy mountain. Selah
Whenever I lay down and slept, the LORD preserved me to rise again.
I do not fear, then, thousands of people arrayed against me on every side.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:1-10.

He came to Jericho and intended to pass through the town. Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man, was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way. When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house." And he came down quickly and received him with joy. When they all saw this, they began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to stay at the house of a sinner." But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over." And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house because this man too is a descendant of Abraham. For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ephrem (c.306-373), deacon in Syria, Doctor of the Church
Diatessaron, XV, 20-21 (cf. SC 121, p. 277)

"Today salvation has come to this house"

Zacchaeus prayed thus in his heart: «How blessed is he who is worthy to receive this Just man into his house». Our Savior said to him: «Zacchaeus, come down quickly!» And he, seeing that the Lord knew his thoughts, said: «Since he knows about these he must also know all I have done». That is why he declared: «All I have extorted from anyone, I shall repay it four times over».

«Quick, come down from that fig tree, for I am going to stay with you». Thanks to this second fig tree, that of the chief of publicans, the first fig tree, that of Adam, falls into oblivion and the name of Adam is likewise forgotten thanks to righteous Zacchaeus... «Today, life has come to this house»... Through his prompt obedience, he who was a mere thief yesterday has today become a doer of good deeds; he who yesterday was a tax gatherer today becomes a disciple.

Zacchaeus has left behind the old law and climbed an immobile fig tree, symbol of his spirit's deafness. But this climb is the symbol of his salvation. He has forsaken baseness and climbed up to see divinity in the heights. Our Lord hastened to make him abandon that withered fig tree, his former manner of life, so that he would not remain deaf. While the flame of love for our Lord burned within him it consumed the old man in him to create in him a new man.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:11

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 18 November 2009
Wednesday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, Religious (1769-1852), Dedication of the Basilicas of Sts. Peter & Paul

Saint Gertrude of Helfta : "He had the servants called"

2nd book of Maccabees 7:1.20-31.

It also happened that seven brothers with their mother were arrested and tortured with whips and scourges by the king, to force them to eat pork in violation of God's law. Most admirable and worthy of everlasting remembrance was the mother, who saw her seven sons perish in a single day, yet bore it courageously because of her hope in the Lord. Filled with a noble spirit that stirred her womanly heart with manly courage, she exhorted each of them in the language of their forefathers with these words: "I do not know how you came into existence in my womb; it was not I who gave you the breath of life, nor was it I who set in order the elements of which each of you is composed. Therefore, since it is the Creator of the universe who shapes each man's beginning, as he brings about the origin of everything, he, in his mercy, will give you back both breath and life, because you now disregard yourselves for the sake of his law." Martyrdom of Mother and Sons Antiochus, suspecting insult in her words, thought he was being ridiculed. As the youngest brother was still alive, the king appealed to him, not with mere words, but with promises on oath, to make him rich and happy if he would abandon his ancestral customs: he would make him his Friend and entrust him with high office. When the youth paid no attention to him at all, the king appealed to the mother, urging her to advise her boy to save his life. After he had urged her for a long time, she went through the motions of persuading her son. In derision of the cruel tyrant, she leaned over close to her son and said in their native language: "Son, have pity on me, who carried you in my womb for nine months, nursed you for three years, brought you up, educated and supported you to your present age. I beg you, child, to look at the heavens and the earth and see all that is in them; then you will know that God did not make them out of existing things; and in the same way the human race came into existence. Do not be afraid of this executioner, but be worthy of your brothers and accept death, so that in the time of mercy I may receive you again with them." She had scarcely finished speaking when the youth said: "What are you waiting for? I will not obey the king's command. I obey the command of the law given to our forefathers through Moses. But you, who have contrived every kind of affliction for the Hebrews, will not escape the hands of God.

Psalms 17:1.5-6.8.15.

A prayer of David. Hear, LORD, my plea for justice; pay heed to my cry; Listen to my prayer spoken without guile.
My steps have kept to your paths; my feet have not faltered.
I call upon you; answer me, O God. Turn your ear to me; hear my prayer.
Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings
I am just--let me see your face; when I awake, let me be filled with your presence.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:11-28.

While they were listening to him speak, he proceeded to tell a parable because he was near Jerusalem and they thought that the kingdom of God would appear there immediately. So he said, "A nobleman went off to a distant country to obtain the kingship for himself and then to return. He called ten of his servants and gave them ten gold coins and told them, 'Engage in trade with these until I return.' His fellow citizens, however, despised him and sent a delegation after him to announce, 'We do not want this man to be our king.' But when he returned after obtaining the kingship, he had the servants called, to whom he had given the money, to learn what they had gained by trading. The first came forward and said, 'Sir, your gold coin has earned ten additional ones.' He replied, 'Well done, good servant! You have been faithful in this very small matter; take charge of ten cities.' Then the second came and reported, 'Your gold coin, sir, has earned five more.' And to this servant too he said, 'You, take charge of five cities.' Then the other servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your gold coin; I kept it stored away in a handkerchief, for I was afraid of you, because you are a demanding person; you take up what you did not lay down and you harvest what you did not plant.' He said to him, 'With your own words I shall condemn you, you wicked servant. You knew I was a demanding person, taking up what I did not lay down and harvesting what I did not plant; why did you not put my money in a bank? Then on my return I would have collected it with interest.' And to those standing by he said, 'Take the gold coin from him and give it to the servant who has ten.' But they said to him, 'Sir, he has ten gold coins.' 'I tell you, to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. Now as for those enemies of mine who did not want me as their king, bring them here and slay them before me.'" After he had said this, he proceeded on his journey up to Jerusalem.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gertrude of Helfta (1256-1301), Benedictine nun
Exercises, 7, Prime (trans. cf. Thomas Alder Pope; SC 127, p. 265 rev.)

"He had the servants called"

O beloved Truth, O calmest equity of my God, how shall I dare to appear in your presence, bowed down as I am beneath the load of my iniquity..., the crushing weight of all my negligence? I have not been faithful, nor have I traded with the talent you entrusted me, the priceless treasure of Christian faith and the spiritual life. I ought to have committed your money to the bankers of your charity so that I might draw abundant interest of perfection from it and so give you back what belongs to you with interest. And not only have I spent your precious talent, my time, but I have wasted it, squandered it utterly away. Where shall I go? Who shall I turn to? «From your presence, where shall I flee?» (Ps 139[138],7).

O Truth, you have justice and equity as your inseparable judges... Woe to me if, when I come before you, I lack an advocate to plead my cause. O Love, come forward on my behalf; answer for me; sue for my pardon. If you plead my cause, I know I still have hope of life.

I know what I will do: «The cup of salvation I will take up» (Ps 116[115],13). I will lay it upon the empty scale of Truth's balance. So I shall supply all that is lacking and outweigh all my sins. That cup will raise up again all my ruins; with that cup I shall worthily overbalance all my unworthiness.

O beloved Truth, I could not, dare not stand before you without my Jesus; but with him, my Jesus, I will come with joy and gladness. Then sit on your judgement seat, O Truth...: «I fear no evil» (Ps 23[22],4).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 25 2009, 12:11

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 19 November 2009
Thursday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Barlaam

Paul VI: "But now it is hidden from your eyes"

2nd book of Maccabees 2:15-29.

The officers of the king in charge of enforcing the apostasy came to the city of Modein to organize the sacrifices. Many of Israel joined them, but Mattathias and his sons gathered in a group apart. Then the officers of the king addressed Mattathias: "You are a leader, an honorable and great man in this city, supported by sons and kinsmen. Come now, be the first to obey the king's command, as all the Gentiles and the men of Judah and those who are left in Jerusalem have done. Then you and your sons shall be numbered among the King's Friends, and shall be enriched with silver and gold and many gifts." But Mattathias answered in a loud voice: "Although all the Gentiles in the king's realm obey him, so that each forsakes the religion of his fathers and consents to the king's orders, yet I and my sons and my kinsmen will keep to the covenant of our fathers. God forbid that we should forsake the law and the commandments. We will not obey the words of the king nor depart from our religion in the slightest degree." As he finished saying these words, a certain Jew came forward in the sight of all to offer sacrifice on the altar in Modein according to the king's order. When Mattathias saw him, he was filled with zeal; his heart was moved and his just fury was aroused; he sprang forward and killed him upon the altar. At the same time, he also killed the messenger of the king who was forcing them to sacrifice, and he tore down the altar. Thus he showed his zeal for the law, just as Phinehas did with Zimri, son of Salu. Then Mattathias went through the city shouting, "Let everyone who is zealous for the law and who stands by the covenant follow after me!" Thereupon he fled to the mountains with his sons, leaving behind in the city all their possessions. Many who sought to live according to righteousness and religious custom went out into the desert to settle there,

Psalms 50(49):1-2.5-6.14-15.

A psalm of Asaph. The LORD, the God of gods, has spoken and summoned the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
From Zion God shines forth. perfect in beauty.
"Gather my faithful ones before me, those who made a covenant with me by sacrifice."
The heavens proclaim divine justice, for God alone is the judge. Selah
Offer praise as your sacrifice to God; fulfill your vows to the Most High.
Then call on me in time of distress; I will rescue you, and you shall honor me."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:41-44.

As he drew near, he saw the city and wept over it, saying, "If this day you only knew what makes for peace--but now it is hidden from your eyes. For the days are coming upon you when your enemies will raise a palisade against you; they will encircle you and hem you in on all sides. They will smash you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave one stone upon another within you because you did not recognize the time of your visitation."

Commentary of the day :

Paul VI, Pope from 1963-1978
Apostolic Exhortation on christian joy « Gaudete in Domino » (DC n° 1677, 1/6/1975 ©Libreria Editrice Vaticana)

"But now it is hidden from your eyes"

Obviously no holy city constitutes the goal of our pilgrimage in time. This goal is hidden beyond this world, in the heart of God's mystery which is still invisible to us. For it is in faith that we journey, not in clear vision, and what we shall be has not yet been manifested. The New Jerusalem of which we are already citizens and sons and daughters, comes down from above, from God. Of this only lasting city we have not yet contemplated the splendor, except as in a mirror and in a confused way, by holding fast to the prophetic word. But already we are its citizens, or we are invited to become so; every spiritual pilgrimage receives its interior meaning from this ultimate destination.
And so it was with the Jerusalem praised by the psalmists. Jesus Himself and Mary His Mother sang on earth as they went up to Jerusalem the canticles of Zion: "perfection of beauty," "joy to the whole world." But henceforth it is from Christ that the Jerusalem above receives its attraction, and it is towards Him that we are making our inner journey.
(Biblical References: 1Jn 3,2; Gal 4,26; Rv 21,2; 1Cor 13,12; Ps 50[49],2; Ps 48[47],3)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next