Haligi ng Konek

Date Joined : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Aug 15 2009, 15:29

Stand Firm

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE
"Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith"
(I Peter 5:9, NLT)

TODAY'S WORD from Joel and Victoria
Are you standing firm against the enemy today? In other words, when fear comes against you, do you dwell on those defeating thoughts or do you rise up and start confessing the promises of God over your life? If you choose to dwell on your fears and think about all the reasons why you can't do what God is telling you to, then before long you're going to develop a negative mindset that will hold you back. It's much more difficult to overcome.
Don't just sit on the sidelines of life when there is so much potential on the inside of you! Don't allow the enemy to hold you back with fear any longer. Focus on that vision of victory. Be bold and step out in faith! Today is a new day! It's your new beginning. Just because you feel fear, doesn't mean you have to follow fear. Every person feels fear at some point. The greatest men and women of the Bible all felt fear. But when fear comes, don't give in! Stay the course of faith and follow God's Word. Break that negative power over your life and move forward into the freedom and joy He has in store for you!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY
"Father in heaven, thank You for giving me strength to stand strong against fear in my life. I choose to have an attitude of faith and expectancy by focusing on Your promises. Today I am rising up and pressing forward into the life of victory You have for me. In Jesus' Name. Amen."
Back to top Go down
http://www.heartlight.org
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Aug 18 2009, 23:24

DAILY GOSPEL

«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Friday, 14 August 2009
Friday of the Nineteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St Maximilian Kolbe, Priest and Martyr (1894-1941

Roman Missal : "The two shall become one flesh"

Book of Joshua 24:1-13.

Joshua gathered together all the tribes of Israel at Shechem, summoning their elders, their leaders, their judges and their officers. When they stood in ranks before God, Joshua addressed all the people: "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: In times past your fathers, down to Terah, father of Abraham and Nahor, dwelt beyond the River and served other gods. But I brought your father Abraham from the region beyond the River and led him through the entire land of Canaan. I made his descendants numerous, and gave him Isaac. To Isaac I gave Jacob and Esau. To Esau I assigned the mountain region of Seir in which to settle, while Jacob and his children went down to Egypt. "Then I sent Moses and Aaron, and smote Egypt with the prodigies which I wrought in her midst. Afterward I led you out of Egypt, and when you reached the sea, the Egyptians pursued your fathers to the Red Sea with chariots and horsemen. Because they cried out to the LORD, he put darkness between your people and the Egyptians, upon whom he brought the sea so that it engulfed them. After you witnessed what I did to Egypt, and dwelt a long time in the desert, I brought you into the land of the Amorites who lived east of the Jordan. They fought against you, but I delivered them into your power. You took possession of their land, and I destroyed them (the two kings of the Amorites) before you. Then Balak, son of Zippor, king of Moab, prepared to war against Israel. He summoned Balaam, son of Beor, to curse you; but I would not listen to Balaam. On the contrary, he had to bless you, and I saved you from him. Once you crossed the Jordan and came to Jericho, the men of Jericho fought against you, but I delivered them also into your power. And I sent the hornets ahead of you which drove them (the Amorites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hittites, Girgashites, Hivites and Jebusites) out of your way; it was not your sword or your bow. "I gave you a land which you had not tilled and cities which you had not built, to dwell in; you have eaten of vineyards and olive groves which you did not plant.

Psalms 136(135):1-3.16-18.21-22.24.

Praise the LORD, who is so good; God's love endures forever;
Praise the God of gods; God's love endures forever;
Praise the Lord of lords; God's love endures forever;
Who led the people through the desert, God's love endures forever;
Who struck down great kings, God's love endures forever;
Slew powerful kings, God's love endures forever;
And made their lands a heritage, God's love endures forever;
A heritage for Israel, God's servant, God's love endures forever.
Freed us from our foes, God's love endures forever;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 19:3-12.

Some Pharisees approached him, and tested him, saying, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any cause whatever?" He said in reply, "Have you not read that from the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female' and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, no human being must separate." They said to him, "Then why did Moses command that the man give the woman a bill of divorce and dismiss (her)?" He said to them, "Because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. I say to you, whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) and marries another commits adultery." (His) disciples said to him, "If that is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry." He answered, "Not all can accept (this) word, but only those to whom that is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it."

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Roman Missal
Nuptial blessing

"The two shall become one flesh"

Father,
to reveal the plan of your love,
you made the union of husband and wife
an image of the covenant between you and your people.
In fulfilment of this sacrament,
the marriage of Christian man and woman
is a sign of the marriage between Christ and the Church (Eph 5,32).
Father, stretch out your hand, and bless N. and N.
And take them under your protection.

Lord,
grant that as they begin to live this sacrament
they may share with each other the gifts of your love
and become one in heart and mind
as witnesses to your presence in their marriage.
Help them to create a home together
and give them children to be formed by the gospel
and to have a place in your family.

Give your blessings to N., your daughter,
so that she may be a good wife and mother, caring for the home,
faithful in love for her husband, generous and kind.
Give your blessings to N., your son,
so that he may be a faithful husband and a good father.
Father,
grant that as they come together to your table on earth,
so they may one day have the joy of sharing your feast in heaven.
Through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Aug 18 2009, 23:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 15 August 2009

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Solemnity

THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY - Solemnity
Today the Church celebrates : St. Tarsicius, Martyr (3rd century)

Saint Germanus of Constantinople : "Raised body and soul to the glory of heaven" (Collect of the Feast)

Book of Revelation 11:19.12:1-6. 10.

Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant could be seen in the temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, and peals of thunder, an earthquake, and a violent hailstorm. A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was with child and wailed aloud in pain as she labored to give birth. Then another sign appeared in the sky; it was a huge red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on its heads were seven diadems. Its tail swept away a third of the stars in the sky and hurled them down to the earth. Then the dragon stood before the woman about to give birth, to devour her child when she gave birth. She gave birth to a son, a male child, destined to rule all the nations with an iron rod. Her child was caught up to God and his throne. The woman herself fled into the desert where she had a place prepared by God, that there she might be taken care of for twelve hundred and sixty days. Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have salvation and power come, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Anointed. For the accuser of our brothers is cast out, who accuses them before our God day and night.

Psalms 45:10.11.12. 16.

Daughters of kings are your lovely wives; a princess arrayed in Ophir's gold comes to stand at your right hand.
Listen, my daughter, and understand; pay me careful heed. Forget your people and your father's house,
that the king might desire your beauty. He is your lord;
They are led in with glad and joyous acclaim; they enter the palace of the king.

First Letter to the Corinthians 15:20-26.

But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead came also through a human being. For just as in Adam all die, so too in Christ shall all be brought to life, but each one in proper order: Christ the firstfruits; then, at his coming, those who belong to Christ; then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father, when he has destroyed every sovereignty and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death,

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 1:39-56.

During those days Mary set out and traveled to the hill country in haste to a town of Judah, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled." And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed. The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him. He has shown might with his arm, dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart. He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones but lifted up the lowly. The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty. He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever." Mary remained with her about three months and then returned to her home.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Germanus of Constantinople (?-733), Bishop
Homily 1 for the Dormition of the Mother of God (PG 98, 346)

"Raised body and soul to the glory of heaven" (Collect of the Feast)

Living Temple of the most holy divinity of the Only-begotten Son, Mother of God, with thanksgiving I say over and over again that your assumption has in no way set you apart from ordinary christians. You live on without decay yet do not dwell far from this decaying world. Instead, you are close to those who call on you and those who seek you in faith will find you. It was indeed fitting that your soul should always remain strong and alive and your body be immortal. For indeed, how could the dissolution of the flesh reduce you to dust and ashes when it was you who delivered mankind from the destruction of death through the incarnation of your Son?...

Children watch out and long for their mothers, and mothers love to live with their children. In the same way, since you possessed a maternal love for your Son and your God in your heart, so you should naturally be able to return to his side and God, in his filial love for you, should very rightly allow you to share in his condition. Thus, dead to what has an end, you have transferred to the imperishable dwelling places of eternity where the God, whose life you will share from henceforth, has his home...

You were his bodily home and now it is he who has become, in return, the place of your rest. «Here is my resting place for ever», he said (Ps 132[131],14) . The resting place of which he speaks is the flesh with which he clothed himself when he had taken it from you, O Mother of God; the flesh in which (as we believe) he revealed himself in the present world and will reveal himself again in the world to come when he comes to judge the living and the dead. Since you are the dwelling of his eternal repose, he removed all corruption from you and took you along with himself since he wished to keep you in his presence and his love. That is why he grants you all you ask of him as to a mother anxious about her children. And everything you wish for, he carries out by his divine power, he who is blessed for ever and ever.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Aug 18 2009, 23:28

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 16 August 2009
Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Stephen of Hungary (977-1038)

Saint Gaudentius of Brescia : "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him"

Book of Proverbs 9:1-6.

Wisdom has built her house, she has set up her seven columns; She has dressed her meat, mixed her wine, yes, she has spread her table. She has sent out her maidens; she calls from the heights out over the city: "Let whoever is simple turn in here; to him who lacks understanding, I say, Come, eat of my food, and drink of the wine I have mixed! Forsake foolishness that you may live; advance in the way of understanding.

Psalms 34(33):2-3.4-5.6-7.

I will bless the LORD at all times; praise shall be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the LORD that the poor may hear and be glad.
Magnify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, who answered me, delivered me from all my fears.
Look to God that you may be radiant with joy and your faces may not blush for shame.
In my misfortune I called, the LORD heard and saved me from all distress.

Letter to the Ephesians 5:15-20.

Watch carefully then how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord. And do not get drunk on wine, in which lies debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another (in) psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and playing to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks always and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 6:51-58.

I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us (his) flesh to eat?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gaudentius of Brescia (?-after 406), Bishop
Paschal Homily ; CSEL 68, 30

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him"

The heavenly sacrifice that Christ instituted is indeed the inheritance bequeathed to us through his new covenant. He left it to us on the night he was delivered up to be crucified as a token of his presence. It is viaticum for our journey, food on our life's path until we come to it on quitting this world. That is why our Lord said: «Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you do not have life within you.»

He wished his deeds of kindness to remain among us and the souls he redeemed by his precious blood always to be made holy in the image of his own Passion. This is why he commanded his faithful disciples, instituted as the first priests of his Church, to celebrate these mysteries of eternal life in perpetuity... Thus all the faithful would have before their eyes day by day a representation of Christ's Passion. Taking him in our hands, receiving him in our mouths and hearts, we will hold fast to an indelible remembrance of our redemption.

The bread should be made with the flour of innumerable grains of wheat mixed with water and finished off in the fire. Thus we shall find a close likeness of the body of Christ in it for, as we know, he forms a single body with the multitude of humankind brought to completion by the fire of the Holy Spirit... In the same way, the wine of his blood is taken from many grapes - that is to say the fruit of vine he planted - is crushed beneath the press of his cross, poured into the hearts of the faithful and ferments within them by means of his own power.

This is the Passover sacrifice bringing salvation to all those set free from bondage of Egypt and Pharaoh, that is to say the devil. Receive it in union with us with all the eagerness of a pious heart.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Aug 18 2009, 23:29

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 17 August 2009
Monday of the Twentieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Hyacinth, Dominican Missionary (1185-1257)

Saint Athanasius : "You will have treasure in heaven"

Book of Judges 2:11-19.

the Israelites offended the LORD by serving the Baals. Abandoning the LORD, the God of their fathers, who had led them out of the land of Egypt, they followed the other gods of the various nations around them, and by their worship of these gods provoked the LORD. Because they had thus abandoned him and served Baal and the Ashtaroth, the anger of the LORD flared up against Israel, and he delivered them over to plunderers who despoiled them. He allowed them to fall into the power of their enemies round about whom they were no longer able to withstand. Whatever they undertook, the LORD turned into disaster for them, as in his warning he had sworn he would do, till they were in great distress. Even when the LORD raised up judges to deliver them from the power of their despoilers, they did not listen to their judges, but abandoned themselves to the worship of other gods. They were quick to stray from the way their fathers had taken, and did not follow their example of obedience to the commandments of the LORD. Whenever the LORD raised up judges for them, he would be with the judge and save them from the power of their enemies as long as the judge lived; it was thus the LORD took pity on their distressful cries of affliction under their oppressors. But when the judge died, they would relapse and do worse than their fathers, following other gods in service and worship, relinquishing none of their evil practices or stubborn conduct.

Psalms 106(105):34-35.36-37.39-40.43.44.

They did not destroy the peoples as the LORD had commanded them,
But mingled with the nations and imitated their ways.
They worshiped their idols and were ensnared by them.
They sacrificed to the gods their own sons and daughters,
They defiled themselves by their actions, became adulterers by their conduct.
So the LORD grew angry with his people, abhorred his own heritage.
Many times did he rescue them, but they kept rebelling and scheming and were brought low by their own guilt.
Still God had regard for their affliction when he heard their wailing.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 19:16-22.

Now someone approached him and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?" He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, " 'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother'; and 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to (the) poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Athanasius (295-373), Bishop of Alexandria, Doctor of the Church
Life of Saint Antony, the Father of monks, 2-4

"You will have treasure in heaven"

After his parents' death... when Antony was about eighteen or even twenty years old..., he went into the church when it happened that the Gospel was being read, and he heard the Lord saying to the rich man: «If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.» It was as if the passage were read on his account. Immediately Antony went out from the Lord's house and gave to the townspeople the possessions he had from his forebears. And selling all the rest that was portable, when he collected sufficient money, he donated it to the poor, keeping a few things for his sister.

But when, entering the Lord's house once more, he heard in the Gospel the Lord saying, «Do not be anxious about tomorrow» (Mt 6,34), he could not remain any longer, but going out he gave those remaining possessions also to the needy. Placing his sister in the charge of respected and trusted virgins, and giving her over to the convent for rearing, he devoted himself from then on to the discipline rather than the household, giving heed to himself and patiently training himself...

He worked with his hands, though, having heard that «he who is idle, let him not eat» (2Thes 3,10). And he spent what he made partly for bread, and partly on those in need. He prayed constantly, since he learned that it is necessary to «pray unceasingly» (Lk 21,36) in private. For he paid such close attention to what was read that nothing from Scripture did he fail to take in; rather, he grasped everything, and in him the memory took the place of books... All those, then, who were from his village and those good people with whom he associated, seeing him living thus, used to call him 'God-loved', and some hailed him as 'son', some as 'brother'.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Aug 18 2009, 23:29

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 18 August 2009
Tuesday of the Twentieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Alberto Hurtado Cruchaga, Priest (1901-1952)

Saint Peter Damian : « Receive a hundred times more now in this present age » (Mc 10,30)

Book of Judges 6:11-24.

Then the angel of the LORD came and sat under the terebinth in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite. While his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the wine press to save it from the Midianites, the angel of the LORD appeared to him and said, "The LORD is with you, O champion!" "My Lord," Gideon said to him, "if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are his wondrous deeds of which our fathers told us when they said, 'Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt?' For now the LORD has abandoned us and has delivered us into the power of Midian." The LORD turned to him and said, "Go with the strength you have and save Israel from the power of Midian. It is I who send you." But he answered him, "Please, my lord, how can I save Israel? My family is the meanest in Manasseh, and I am the most insignificant in my father's house." "I shall be with you," the LORD said to him, "and you will cut down Midian to the last man." He answered him, "If I find favor with you, give me a sign that you are speaking with me. Do not depart from here, I pray you, until I come back to you and bring out my offering and set it before you." He answered, "I will await your return." So Gideon went off and prepared a kid and an ephah of flour in the form of unleavened cakes. Putting the meat in a basket and the broth in a pot, he brought them out to him under the terebinth and presented them. The angel of God said to him, "Take the meat and unleavened cakes and lay them on this rock; then pour out the broth." When he had done so, the angel of the LORD stretched out the tip of the staff he held, and touched the meat and unleavened cakes. Thereupon a fire came up from the rock which consumed the meat and unleavened cakes, and the angel of the LORD disappeared from sight. Gideon, now aware that it had been the angel of the LORD, said, "Alas, Lord GOD, that I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face!" The LORD answered him, "Be calm, do not fear. You shall not die." So Gideon built there an altar to the LORD and called it Yahweh-shalom. To this day it is still in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

Psalms 85:9.11-12.13-14.

I will listen for the word of God; surely the LORD will proclaim peace To his people, to the faithful, to those who trust in him.
Love and truth will meet; justice and peace will kiss.
Truth will spring from the earth; justice will look down from heaven.
The LORD will surely grant abundance; our land will yield its increase.
Prosperity will march before the Lord, and good fortune will follow behind.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 19:23-30.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible." Then Peter said to him in reply, "We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you that you who have followed me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Peter Damian (1007-1072), hermit then Bishop, Doctor of the Church
Sermon 9 ; PL 144, 549-553

« Receive a hundred times more now in this present age » (Mc 10,30)

We should live detached from our possessions and our own will if we would be followers of him who had «nowhere to rest his head» (Lk 9,58) and who came «not to do his own will but he will of the one who sent him» (Jn 6,38)... We already know by experience what the Truth promised to whoever forsakes everything and follows him: «he will receive a hundred times more now... and eternal life in the age to come» (Mk 10,30). Indeed, the gift of a hundred times more sustains us on the journey and possession of eternal life will be our joy for ever in our heavenly homeland.

But what does this hundred times more mean? Briefly, the consolations of the Spirit, sweet as honey, his visits and his firstfruits. It is the witness of our conscience, the happy and joyful expectation of the righteous; it is the remembrance of God's overwhelming goodness and, in truth, the greatness of his sweetness. Those who have had experience of these gifts have no need for anyone to tell them about them. And as for those who do not have it, who could describe it in plain words?
Back to top Go down
jgwapito
Haligi ng Konek
 Haligi ng Konek

Date Joined : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Aug 19 2009, 15:26

Live in Integrity

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE
"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches……"
(Proverbs 22:1, KJV)

TODAY'S WORD from Joel and Victoria
What do people think when they hear your name? Do they think, "Oh, that person is always so trustworthy and faithful; they always do the right thing?" Or do they think, "Watch out for that person. You never know what they're going to do?"
You might say, "Oh, I'm a pretty good person. I do the right thing most of the time." But understand it's the little foxes that spoil the vine. You can veer off course just a little bit, and before you know it, you're miles away from your destination. Don't allow the little things to keep you from your destiny; choose integrity–even when no one is looking. For instance, you might need some paper at home, but you shouldn't take supplies from the office. Or, you might be running into a store for just a minute, but don't park in the handicap parking spot unless you're supposed to. Sure, you might need a few extra bucks this week, but if the checkout clerk makes a mistake and gives you back too much money, that's not God's provision; that's a test of integrity. If you'll be faithful and choose integrity in the little things, it will be a great treasure in your life. God will pour out His blessing on you as you honor Him all the days of your life.

A PRAYER FOR TODAY
"Father God, today I commit to live a life of integrity. I choose a life of excellence and ask for Your hand of favor. Show me any area that is not pleasing to You so that I can continue to grow and increase in You. In Jesus' Name. Amen. "
Back to top Go down
http://www.heartlight.org
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Aug 20 2009, 11:42

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 20 August 2009
Thursday of the Twentieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Bernard of Clairvaux, Abbot and Doctor of the Church (1091-1153)

Saint Augustine : The wedding garment

Book of Judges 11:29-39.

The spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah. He passed through Gilead and Manasseh, and through Mizpah-Gilead as well, and from there he went on to the Ammonites. Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. "If you deliver the Ammonites into my power," he said, "whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites shall belong to the LORD. I shall offer him up as a holocaust." Jephthah then went on to the Ammonites to fight against them, and the LORD delivered them into his power, so that he inflicted a severe defeat on them, from Aroer to the approach of Minnith (twenty cities in all) and as far as Abel-keramin. Thus were the Ammonites brought into subjection by the Israelites. When Jephthah returned to his house in Mizpah, it was his daughter who came forth, playing the tambourines and dancing. She was an only child: he had neither son nor daughter besides her. When he saw her, he rent his garments and said, "Alas, daughter, you have struck me down and brought calamity upon me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and I cannot retract." "Father," she replied, "you have made a vow to the LORD. Do with me as you have vowed, because the LORD has wrought vengeance for you on your enemies the Ammonites." Then she said to her father, "Let me have this favor. Spare me for two months, that I may go off down the mountains to mourn my virginity with my companions." "Go," he replied, and sent her away for two months. So she departed with her companions and mourned her virginity on the mountains. At the end of the two months she returned to her father, who did to her as he had vowed. She had not been intimate with man. It then became a custom in Israel

Psalms 40:5.7-8.9.10.

Happy those whose trust is the LORD, who turn not to idolatry or to those who stray after falsehood.
sacrifice and offering you do not want; but ears open to obedience you gave me. Holocausts and sin-offerings you do not require;
so I said, "Here I am; your commands for me are written in the scroll.
To do your will is my delight; my God, your law is in my heart!"
I announced your deed to a great assembly; I did not restrain my lips; you, LORD, are my witness.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 22:1-14.

Jesus again in reply spoke to them in parables, saying, The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast, but they refused to come. A second time he sent other servants, saying, 'Tell those invited: "Behold, I have prepared my banquet, my calves and fattened cattle are killed, and everything is ready; come to the feast."' Some ignored the invitation and went away, one to his farm, another to his business. The rest laid hold of his servants, mistreated them, and killed them. The king was enraged and sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city. Then he said to his servants, 'The feast is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy to come. Go out, therefore, into the main roads and invite to the feast whomever you find.' The servants went out into the streets and gathered all they found, bad and good alike, and the hall was filled with guests. But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. He said to him, 'My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?' But he was reduced to silence. Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.' Many are invited, but few are chosen."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) et Doctor of the Church
Sermon 90, 5-6 ; PL 38-39, 561-563

The wedding garment

What is this wedding garment or nuptial robe? The apostle Paul says: «The aim of this instruction is love from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith» (1Tm 1,5). Here is the nuptial robe! It's not a question of any kind of love since we often see people with a bad conscience loving one another. People who abandon themselves to robbery and evil, who attract to themselves the love of actors, charioteers and gladiators, generally love amongst themselves but not with the charity that arises from a pure heart, a good conscience and unfeigned faith. Now it is this latter kind of charity that represents the nuptial robe.

So, you who haven't yet done so, put your wedding garment on. You have already entered the banqueting hall, you are about to approach the Lord's table, but as yet you do not have a wedding garment in the bridegroom's honor: you are still looking for your own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. The wedding garment is worn in honor of the nuptial union, that is to say, of the Bridegroom and the Bride. The Bridegroom, you know: he is Jesus Christ; the Bride, you know: she is the Church (Eph 5,32). Show respect to the one who is wed and also to him who weds her.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Aug 23 2009, 11:00

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 21 August 2009
Friday of the Twentieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Pius X, Pope (1835-1914)

Clement of Alexandria : The two commandments

Book of Ruth 1:1.3-6.14-16.22.

Once in the time of the judges there was a famine in the land; so a man from Bethlehem of Judah departed with his wife and two sons to reside on the plateau of Moab. Elimelech, the husband of Naomi, died, and she was left with her two sons, who married Moabite women, one named Orpah, the other Ruth. When they had lived there about ten years, both Mahlon and Chilion died also, and the woman was left with neither her two sons nor her husband. She then made ready to go back from the plateau of Moab because word reached her there that the LORD had visited his people and given them food. Again they sobbed aloud and wept; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye, but Ruth stayed with her. "See now!" she said, "your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and her god. Go back after your sister-in-law!" But Ruth said, "Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you! for wherever you go I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge, your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Thus it was that Naomi returned with the Moabite daughter-in-law, Ruth, who accompanied her back from the plateau of Moab. They arrived in Bethlehem at the beginning of the barley harvest.

Psalms 146(145):5-6.7.8-9.10.

Happy those whose help is Jacob's God, whose hope is in the LORD, their God,
The maker of heaven and earth, the seas and all that is in them, Who keeps faith forever,
secures justice for the oppressed, gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free;
the LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
The LORD protects the stranger, sustains the orphan and the widow, but thwarts the way of the wicked.
The LORD shall reign forever, your God, Zion, through all generations! Hallelujah!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 22:34-40.

When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them (a scholar of the law) tested him by asking, Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest? He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Commentary of the day :

Clement of Alexandria (150-c.215), theologian
Homily « Can the rich be saved?»

The two commandments

When our Master was asked which was the greatest of the commandments, he replied: «You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your strength. There is no other commandment greater than this» (Mk 12,30-31). I think so, too, since it concerns primary and essential Being, God our Father, through whom all things were made, all things remain in being, and to whom all who are saved will return. He it is who loved us the first, who gave birth to us. It would be sacrilege to think there exists any being more ancient or more wise. Our thanksgiving may be insignificant compared to his great gifts, yet we cannot offer him any other recognition, he who is perfection itself and has no need of anything. Let us love our Father with all our strength and ardor of soul and we shall win immortality. The more we love God, the more is our nature incorporated and mingled with his own.

The second commandment, Jesus says, yields in nothing to the first: «You shall love your neighbor as yourself»... When the scholar of the Law asks Jesus: «And who is my neighbor?» (Lk 10,29), he does not reply by giving the Jewish definition of neighbor – family, fellow Jews, proselytes, those who live according to the same Law – but tells the story of a traveler who was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho. Wounded by robbers..., the man was cared for by a Samaritan who «showed himself a neighbor» (v.36).

And who is even more of a neighbor to me than our Savior? Who showed more compassion to us when the powers of darkness had left us battered by blows?... Jesus alone knew how to heal our wounds and root out the evils planted in our hearts... That is why we should love him just as much as God. And loving Christ Jesus is to carry out his will and keep his commandments.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Aug 23 2009, 11:00

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 22 August 2009
Saturday of the Twentieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : The Queenship of Mary - Memorial

Saint Isaac the Syrian : "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted"

Book of Ruth 2:1-3.8-11.4:13-17.

Naomi had a prominent kinsman named Boaz, of the clan of her husband Elimelech. Ruth the Moabite said to Naomi, "Let me go and glean ears of grain in the field of anyone who will allow me that favor." Naomi said to her, "Go, my daughter," and she went. The field she entered to glean after the harvesters happened to be the section belonging to Boaz of the clan of Elimelech. Boaz said to Ruth, "Listen, my daughter! Do not go to glean in anyone else's field; you are not to leave here. Stay here with my women servants. Watch to see which field is to be harvested, and follow them; I have commanded the young men to do you no harm. When you are thirsty, you may go and drink from the vessels the young men have filled." Casting herself prostrate upon the ground, she said to him, "Why should I, a foreigner, be favored with your notice?" Boaz answered her: "I have had a complete account of what you have done for your mother-in-law after your husband's death; you have left your father and your mother and the land of your birth, and have come to a people whom you did not know previously. Boaz took Ruth. When they came together as man and wife, the LORD enabled her to conceive and she bore a son. Then the women said to Naomi, "Blessed is the LORD who has not failed to provide you today with an heir! May he become famous in Israel! He will be your comfort and the support of your old age, for his mother is the daughter-in-law who loves you. She is worth more to you than seven sons!" Naomi took the child, placed him on her lap, and became his nurse. And the neighbor women gave him his name, at the news that a grandson had been born to Naomi. They called him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.

Psalms 128(127):1-2.3.4.5.

A song of ascents. Happy are all who fear the LORD, who walk in the ways of God.
What your hands provide you will enjoy; you will be happy and prosper:
Like a fruitful vine your wife within your home, Like olive plants your children around your table.
Just so will they be blessed who fear the LORD.
May the LORD bless you from Zion, all the days of your life That you may share Jerusalem's joy

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 23:1-12.

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens (hard to carry) and lay them on people's shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them. All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.' As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.' You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven. Do not be called 'Master'; you have but one master, the Messiah. The greatest among you must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Isaac the Syrian (7th century), monk near Mosul
Ascetical discourses, 1st series, no.20

"Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted"

Humility is a secret power the saints receive when they bring all their life's ascetical practices to a successful conclusion. For indeed, this power is only bestowed on those who attain to the perfection of virtue through the strength of grace... It is the same power the blessed apostles received in the form of fire. Our Savior commanded them, in fact, not to leave Jerusalem until they had received the power from on high (Acts 2,3; 1,4). Here Jerusalem stands for virtue; the power is humility; and the power from on high is the Paraclete, in other words the Consoler Spirit.

Now this is exactly what Sacred Scripture had said: these mysteries are revealed to the humble (Lk 10,21). To the humble it is given to receive within themselves that Spirit of revelation that uncovers mysteries. That is why certain saints have said that humility is what brings the soul to fulfilment in divine contemplation. So let no one start thinking they have attained complete humility because at some moment a thought of compunction came to them or because they shed a few tears... But if someone has overcome every contrary spirit..., if he has overturned and subjected all the strongholds of the enemy, and if he then feels that he has received that grace in which «the Spirit bears witness to our spirit» (Rom 8,16), in the apostle Paul's words, then there is the perfection of humility. Blessed are they who possess it. For they continually embrace Jesus' breast (cf. Jn 13,25).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Aug 23 2009, 11:01

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 23 August 2009
Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Rose of Lima, Virgin (1586-1617)

Saint [Padre] Pio de Pietrelcina : "You have the words of eternal life"

Book of Joshua 24:1-2.15-17.18.

Joshua gathered together all the tribes of Israel at Shechem, summoning their elders, their leaders, their judges and their officers. When they stood in ranks before God, Joshua addressed all the people: "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: In times past your fathers, down to Terah, father of Abraham and Nahor, dwelt beyond the River and served other gods. If it does not please you to serve the LORD, decide today whom you will serve, the gods your fathers served beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites in whose country you are dwelling. As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." But the people answered, "Far be it from us to forsake the LORD for the service of other gods. For it was the LORD, our God, who brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, out of a state of slavery. He performed those great miracles before our very eyes and protected us along our entire journey and among all the peoples through whom we passed. At our approach the LORD drove out (all the peoples, including) the Amorites who dwelt in the land. Therefore we also will serve the LORD, for he is our God."

Psalms 34(33):2-3.16-21.

I will bless the LORD at all times; praise shall be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the LORD that the poor may hear and be glad.
The LORD has eyes for the just and ears for their cry.
The LORD'S face is against evildoers to wipe out their memory from the earth.
When the just cry out, the LORD hears and rescues them from all distress.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted, saves those whose spirit is crushed.
Many are the troubles of the just, but the LORD delivers from them all.
God watches over all their bones; not a one shall be broken.

Letter to the Ephesians 5:21-32.

Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church, he himself the savior of the body. As the church is subordinate to Christ, so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her, cleansing her by the bath of water with the word, that he might present to himself the church in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. So (also) husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 6:60-69.

Then many of his disciples who were listening said, "This saying is hard; who can accept it?" Since Jesus knew that his disciples were murmuring about this, he said to them, "Does this shock you? What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe." Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him. And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father." As a result of this, many (of) his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him. Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?" Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God."

Commentary of the day :

Saint [Padre] Pio de Pietrelcina (1887-1968), Capuchin friar
Ep 3, 980 ; GF, 196f.

"You have the words of eternal life"

Be patient and persevere in the practice of meditation. Be content, to start with, to make progress only by degrees. Later on you will have legs that will ask for nothing but to run or, better, wings for flying with.

Be happy to obey. It's never easy but it is God we have chosen as our portion. Accept that, as yet, you are only a little bee in its nest but, very quickly, it will become one of those wonderful workers so skilful in making honey. Always remain humble before God and men, in love. Then our Lord will speak to you in truth and enrich you with his gifts.

It can happen that bees will cover great distances over the meadows before they find the flowers they want. Afterwards, worn out but satisfied and laden with pollen, they go back to the hive to carry out the silent but fruitful transformation of the flowers' nectar into the nectar of life. You, do likewise: when you have listened to the Word, meditate on it attentively, study its different aspects, seek out the depths of its meaning. Then it will become clear and luminous to you; it will have power to transform your natural inclinations into a pure uplifting of the spirit, and your heart will be always more closely united to the heart of Christ.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Aug 26 2009, 11:25

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 24 August 2009
Saint Bartholomew, apostle - Feast

Today the Church celebrates : St. Bartholomew, Apostle - Feast

Philoxenes of Mabbug : "Come and see"

Book of Revelation 21:9-14.

One of the seven angels who held the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come here. I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." He took me in spirit to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. It gleamed with the splendor of God. Its radiance was like that of a precious stone, like jasper, clear as crystal. It had a massive, high wall, with twelve gates where twelve angels were stationed and on which names were inscribed, (the names) of the twelve tribes of the Israelites. There were three gates facing east, three north, three south, and three west. The wall of the city had twelve courses of stones as its foundation, on which were inscribed the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Psalms 145(144):10-11.12-13.17-18.

All your works give you thanks, O LORD and your faithful bless you.
They speak of the glory of your reign and tell of your great works,
Making known to all your power, the glorious splendor of your rule.
Your reign is a reign for all ages, your dominion for all generations. The LORD is trustworthy in every word, and faithful in every work.
You, LORD, are just in all your ways, faithful in all your works.
You, LORD, are near to all who call upon you, to all who call upon you in truth.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 1:45-51.

Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one about whom Moses wrote in the law, and also the prophets, Jesus, son of Joseph, from Nazareth." But Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, "Here is a true Israelite. There is no duplicity in him." Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, I saw you under the fig tree." Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel." Jesus answered and said to him, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this." And he said to him, "Amen, amen, I say to you, you will see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

Commentary of the day :

Philoxenes of Mabbug (?-c.523), Bishop in Syria
Homily no. 4, 76-79 (SC 44, p. 95 rev.)

"Come and see"

Jesus renewed the call made to Abraham to the holy apostles. And their faith was like Abraham's in that, just as Abraham obeyed as soon as he was called (Gen 12), so the apostles set out after Jesus as soon as he called them and they heard his voice... Not a long process of instruction made disciples of them but the simple fact of their having heard the word of faith. Because their faith was alive, no sooner had they heard the living voice than they obeyed life. Without delay they immediately ran after him, from which we see that they were disciples in their hearts even before being called.

This is how a faith acts that has kept its simplicity. It's not by force of argument that it accepts instruction but, just as an eye that is sound receives the rays of the sun transmitted to it, without either reasoning it out or working at it, and sees the light as soon as it opens... so those with a natural faith recognise God's voice as soon as they hear it. The light of his word arises in them; they throw themselves joyfully before it and take it to themselves, as our Lord said in the Gospel: «My sheep hear my voice and they follow me» (Jn 10,27).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Aug 26 2009, 11:26

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 25 August 2009
Tuesday of the Twenty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Louis, King of France (1215-1270)

Origen : "Cleanse first the inside of the cup"

First Letter to the Thessalonians 2:1-8.

For you yourselves know, brothers, that our reception among you was not without effect. Rather, after we had suffered and been insolently treated, as you know, in Philippi, we drew courage through our God to speak to you the gospel of God with much struggle. Our exhortation was not from delusion or impure motives, nor did it work through deception. But as we were judged worthy by God to be entrusted with the gospel, that is how we speak, not as trying to please human beings,but rather God, who judges our hearts. Nor, indeed, did we ever appear with flattering speech, as you know, or with a pretext for greed--God is witness-- nor did we seek praise from human beings, either from you or from others, although we were able to impose our weight as apostles of Christ. Rather, we were gentle among you, as a nursing mother cares for her children. With such affection for you, we were determined to share with you not only the gospel of God, but our very selves as well, so dearly beloved had you become to us.

Psalms 139(138):1-3.4-6.

For the leader. A psalm of David. I LORD, you have probed me, you know me:
you know when I sit and stand; you understand my thoughts from afar.
My travels and my rest you mark; with all my ways you are familiar.
Even before a word is on my tongue, LORD, you know it all.
Behind and before you encircle me and rest your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is beyond me, far too lofty for me to reach.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 23:23-26.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You pay tithes of mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier things of the law: judgment and mercy and fidelity. (But) these you should have done, without neglecting the others. Blind guides, who strain out the gnat and swallow the camel! Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You cleanse the outside of cup and dish, but inside they are full of plunder and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may be clean.

Commentary of the day :

Origen (c.185-253), priest and theologian
Homilies on Joshua, no.5, 2 (SC 71, p.167)

"Cleanse first the inside of the cup"

Let us set out for war, as Joshua did; let us take by assault the greatest city in the world – malice –and destroy the proud walls of sin. Would you be looking all around you for the road you must take, the battlefield you must choose? No doubt you're going to find my words surprising, and yet they are true: restrict your quest to your own self. The battle you are to give lies within you, within your inmost self lays the malice you must undermine; your enemy comes from the depths of your own heart.

Nor is it I who say this, but Christ. Listen to him: «From the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, unchastity, theft, false witness, blasphemy» (Mt 15,19). Are you aware of the might of the enemy army advancing against you from the depths of your heart? Here our enemies are, massacre them at the first encounter, lay them low at first sight! If we are able to overturn their ramparts and exterminate them until not one remains to tell the tale, not one to draw breath (Jos 11,14), if not a single one remains to regain its life and rise up again in our thoughts, then Jesus will grant us great rest.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Aug 26 2009, 11:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 26 August 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Zephyrinus, Pope and Martyr (+219)

Saint Bernard : «A clean heart create for me, O God» (Ps 50,12)

First Letter to the Thessalonians 2:9-13.

You recall, brothers, our toil and drudgery. Working night and day in order not to burden any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God. You are witnesses, and so is God, how devoutly and justly and blamelessly we behaved toward you believers. As you know, we treated each one of you as a father treats his children, exhorting and encouraging you and insisting that you conduct yourselves as worthy of the God who calls you into his kingdom and glory. And for this reason we too give thanks to God unceasingly, that,in receiving the word of God from hearing us, you received not a human word but, as it truly is, the word of God, which is now atwork in you who believe.

Psalms 139(138):7-8.9-10.11-12.

Where can I hide from your spirit? From your presence, where can I flee?
If I ascend to the heavens, you are there; if I lie down in Sheol, you are there too.
If I fly with the wings of dawn and alight beyond the sea,
Even there your hand will guide me, your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely darkness shall hide me, and night shall be my light" --
Darkness is not dark for you, and night shines as the day. Darkness and light are but one.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 23:27-32.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men's bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the memorials of the righteous, and you say, 'If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have joined them in shedding the prophets' blood.' Thus you bear witness against yourselves that you are the children of those who murdered the prophets; now fill up what your ancestors measured out!

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bernard (1091-1153), Cistercian monk and Doctor of the Church
2nd sermon for the 1st. day of Lent, 5 ; PL 183, 172-174

«A clean heart create for me, O God» (Ps 50,12)

«Rend your hearts and not your garments,» the prophet says (Jl 2,14). Who is there among you whose will is particularly subject to obstinacy? Let him rend his heart with the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Eph 6,17). Let him rend it and reduce it to dust for we can only be converted to the Lord if we have a contrite heart (Ps 51[50],19)... Listen to someone whom God has found according to his heart: «My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready» (Ps 57[56],8). It is ready for adversity, ready for prosperity; it is ready for humble things, ready for those that are lifted high, ready for whatever you command... «My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready.» Who, like David, is ready to go out and come back and walk according to the King's will? (2Sm 5,2).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 27 August 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Monica (332-387)

Saint Bernard : At midnight

First Letter to the Thessalonians 3:7-13.

Because of this, we have been reassured about you, brothers, in our every distress and affliction, through your faith. For we now live, if you stand firm in the Lord. What thanksgiving, then, can we render to God for you, for all the joy we feel on your account before our God? Night and day we pray beyond measure to see you in person and to remedy the deficiencies of your faith. Now may God himself, our Father, and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you, and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we have for you, so as to strengthen your hearts, to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones. (Amen.)

Psalms 90(89):3-4.12-13.14.17.

But humans you return to dust, saying, "Return, you mortals!"
A thousand years in your eyes are merely a yesterday. Before a watch passes in the night,
Teach us to count our days aright, that we may gain wisdom of heart.
Relent, O LORD! How long? Have pity on your servants!
Fill us at daybreak with your love, that all our days we may sing for joy.
May the favor of the Lord our God be ours. Prosper the work of our hands! Prosper the work of our hands!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 24:42-51.

Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come. Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into. So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come. Who, then, is the faithful and prudent servant, whom the master has put in charge of his household to distribute to them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so. Amen, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property. But if that wicked servant says to himself, 'My master is long delayed,' and begins to beat his fellow servants, and eat and drink with drunkards, the servant's master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bernard (1091-1153), Cistercian monk and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 1 of Advent (trans. J.C. Hedley)

At midnight

It is now fitting we should consider the time of our Lord's coming. He came, as you know, not in the beginning, nor in the midst of time, but in the end of it. This was no unsuitable choice but a truly wise dispensation of infinite Wisdom who, aware that the sons of Adam are inclined to ingratitude, ordained that she would not come to their help until they were in the greatest need.

Truly, «it was evening and the day was far spent», and the «Sun of justice» had almost set (Lk 24,29; Mal 3,20); only a faint ray of its light and heat remained on earth. The light of divine knowledge was very small, and as iniquity abounded so the fervor of charity grew cold (Mt 24,12). No angel appeared; no prophet spoke. The angelic vision and the prophetic spirit alike had passed away, both hopelessly baffled by the obduracy and obstinacy of humankind. Then it was the Son of God said: «Behold, I come» (Ps 40[39},8; Heb 10,7). And «while all things were in quiet silence and the night was in the midst of her swift course, your almighty Word leaped down from heaven, from your royal throne» (Wis 18,14-15). As the apostle Paul says: «When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son» (Gal 4,4).

Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

----------------------------------------
The DGO is sent every day to more than 420.000 subscribers !
Do you want to help us maintain this free service? The Daily Gospel is free of charge, but it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope RD, New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:30

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 28 August 2009
Friday of the Twenty-first week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Augustine, bishop and doctor of the Church

Saint Gregory of Nazianzen : "Behold, the bridegroom!"

First Letter to the Thessalonians 4:1-8.

Finally, brothers, we earnestly ask and exhort you in the Lord Jesus that, as you received from us how you should conduct yourselves to please God--and as you are conducting yourselves--you do so even more. For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. This is the will of God, your holiness: that you refrain from immorality, that each of you know how to acquire a wife for himself in holiness and honor, not in lustful passion as do the Gentiles who do not know God; not to take advantage of or exploit a brother in this matter, for the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you before and solemnly affirmed. For God did not call us to impurity but to holiness. Therefore, whoever disregards this, disregards not a human being but God, who (also) gives his holy Spirit to you.

Psalms 97:1.2.5-6.10.11-12.

The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many islands be glad.
Cloud and darkness surround the Lord; justice and right are the foundation of his throne.
The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
The heavens proclaim God's justice; all peoples see his glory.
The LORD loves those who hate evil, protects the lives of the faithful, rescues them from the hand of the wicked.
Light dawns for the just; gladness, for the honest of heart.
Rejoice in the LORD, you just, and praise his holy name.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:1-13.

Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones, when taking their lamps, brought no oil with them, but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps. Since the bridegroom was long delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. At midnight, there was a cry, 'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!' Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' But the wise ones replied, 'No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.' While they went off to buy it, the bridegroom came and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him. Then the door was locked. Afterwards the other virgins came and said, 'Lord, Lord, open the door for us!' But he said in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.' Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory of Nazianzen (330-390), Bishop and Doctor of the Church
On holy baptism, Oratio 40, 46 ; PG 36, 425 (©Friends of Henry Ashworth)

"Behold, the bridegroom!"

The place before the great sanctuary in which you will stand immediatelly after your baptism symbolizes the glory of the world to come. The singing of psalms with which you will be received is a prelude to the hymns of heaven. The lamps you will light prefigure that great procession of lights in which we shall go to meet the Bridegroom with the bright lamps of faith, our souls radiant and pure.

Very careful shall we be not to fall asleep, in case the awaited One should arrive unexpectedly. Nor shall we come without the oil of good works, for fear of being excluded from the bridal chamber... Swiftly the Bridegroom will enter and the wise will go in with him, but the foolish will be shut out because when it was time to enter they were still busy preparing themselves. They will lament bitterly when they learn too late the penalty for their carelessness...

In another way, they resemble the guests who failed to attend the wedding feast a noble father gave for a noble bridegroom. One did not come because he had recently married, another because he had just bought a field, a third because he had bought a yoke of oxen... There is no place in heaven for the arrogant and careless, nor yet for one dressed in rags instead of a wedding garment, even though while on earth such a one may think himself fit for the resplendence of the world to come and, deceived by vain hopes, slip in among the faithful without their knowledge.

What will the next world be like? Once we are within the Bridegroom knows what he will teach the souls that have entered with him, and how he will be united with them. I believe that he will live with them and teach them yet higher and holier mysteries.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:30

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 29 August 2009
The Martyrdom of Saint John the Baptist - Memorial

Today the Church celebrates : The Beheading of John the Baptist,Martyr

Saint Bede the Venerable : Forerunner in death as in life

Book of Jeremiah 1:17-19.

But do you gird your loins; stand up and tell them all that I command you. Be not crushed on their account, as though I would leave you crushed before them; For it is I this day who have made you a fortified city, A pillar of iron, a wall of brass, against the whole land: Against Judah's kings and princes, against its priests and people. They will fight against you, but not prevail over you, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.

Psalms 71(70):1-2.3-4.5-6.15.17.

In you, LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue and deliver me; listen to me and save me!
Be my rock and refuge, my secure stronghold; for you are my rock and fortress.
My God, rescue me from the power of the wicked, from the clutches of the violent.
You are my hope, Lord; my trust, GOD, from my youth.
On you I depend since birth; from my mother's womb you are my strength; my hope in you never wavers.
My mouth shall proclaim your just deeds, day after day your acts of deliverance, though I cannot number them all.
God, you have taught me from my youth; to this day I proclaim your wondrous deeds.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 6:17-29.

Herod was the one who had John arrested and bound in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, whom he had married. John had said to Herod, "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife." Herodias harbored a grudge against him and wanted to kill him but was unable to do so. Herod feared John, knowing him to be a righteous and holy man, and kept him in custody. When he heard him speak he was very much perplexed, yet he liked to listen to him. She had an opportunity one day when Herod, on his birthday, gave a banquet for his courtiers, his military officers, and the leading men of Galilee. Herodias's own daughter came in and performed a dance that delighted Herod and his guests. The king said to the girl, "Ask of me whatever you wish and I will grant it to you." He even swore (many things) to her, "I will grant you whatever you ask of me, even to half of my kingdom." She went out and said to her mother, "What shall I ask for?" She replied, "The head of John the Baptist." The girl hurried back to the king's presence and made her request, "I want you to give me at once on a platter the head of John the Baptist." The king was deeply distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests he did not wish to break his word to her. So he promptly dispatched an executioner with orders to bring back his head. He went off and beheaded him in the prison. He brought in the head on a platter and gave it to the girl. The girl in turn gave it to her mother. When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bede the Venerable (c.673-735), monk, Doctor of the Church
Hymn for the martyrdom of John the Baptist ; PL 94, 630

Forerunner in death as in life

Great forerunner of grace and messenger of the truth,
John the Baptist, burning light for Christ,
became an evangelist of the eternal Light.
The prophetic witness that unceasingly he gave
through his message, life and work,
he stamps today with his blood and martyrdom.
He had always gone before his Lord:
in birth he announced his coming to the world;
in baptising repentant sinners in the Jordan
he prefigured him who came to institute baptism.
And John the Baptist also went beforehand through the death of the Redeemer, his Savior,
who restored life to the world
by shedding his blood through love on his behalf.

A cruel tyrant might well conceal him in prison and in chains,
chains could not bind, in Christ, the one whose heart's freedom opens to the Kingdom.
How might the darkness and torture of a gloomy dungeon
gain mastery over him who beholds Christ's glory,
who receives from Christ the gifts of the Holy Spirit?
Today he rejoices to complete his mission as forerunner
by his departure from this world.

What he witnessed to in his lifetime,
the Christ who comes and even now is here,
he proclaims today by his death.
How could the dwellings of the dead hold back this messenger?
All the righteous, with the prophets and martyrs, rejoice
and go with him to meet the Savior.
They all surround John with their love and praises
and join him in imploring Christ to come at last to all his own.

O great forerunner of the Redeemer, he no longer tarries
who will set you free from death forever.
Guided by your Lord,
enter with all the saints into his glory!
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:31

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 30 August 2009
Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Fiaker, Anchorite

Vatican Council II: Peace comes from the human heart

Book of Deuteronomy 4:1-2.6-8.

"Now, Israel, hear the statutes and decrees which I am teaching you to observe, that you may live, and may enter in and take possession of the land which the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you. In your observance of the commandments of the LORD, your God, which I enjoin upon you, you shall not add to what I command you nor subtract from it. Observe them carefully, for thus will you give evidence of your wisdom and intelligence to the nations, who will hear of all these statutes and say, 'This great nation is truly a wise and intelligent people.' For what great nation is there that has gods so close to it as the LORD, our God, is to us whenever we call upon him? Or what great nation has statutes and decrees that are as just as this whole law which I am setting before you today?

Psalms 15(14):2-3.4.5.

Whoever walks without blame, doing what is right, speaking truth from the heart;
Who does not slander a neighbor, does no harm to another, never defames a friend;
Who disdains the wicked, but honors those who fear the LORD; Who keeps an oath despite the cost,
lends no money at interest, accepts no bribe against the innocent. III Whoever acts like this shall never be shaken.

Letter of James 1:17-18.21-22.27.

all good giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no alteration or shadow caused by change. He willed to give us birth by the word of truth that we may be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. Therefore, put away all filth and evil excess and humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you and is able to save your souls. Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 7:1-8.14-15.21-23.

Now when the Pharisees with some scribes who had come from Jerusalem gathered around him, they observed that some of his disciples ate their meals with unclean, that is, unwashed, hands. (For the Pharisees and, in fact, all Jews, do not eat without carefully washing their hands, keeping the tradition of the elders. And on coming from the marketplace they do not eat without purifying themselves. And there are many other things that they have traditionally observed, the purification of cups and jugs and kettles (and beds).) So the Pharisees and scribes questioned him, "Why do your disciples not follow the tradition of the elders but instead eat a meal with unclean hands?" He responded, "Well did Isaiah prophesy about you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me; In vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines human precepts.' You disregard God's commandment but cling to human tradition." He summoned the crowd again and said to them, "Hear me, all of you, and understand. Nothing that enters one from outside can defile that person; but the things that come out from within are what defile." From within people, from their hearts, come evil thoughts, unchastity, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, licentiousness, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, folly. All these evils come from within and they defile."

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Dogmatic Constitution on the Church in the modern world «Gaudium et spes », § 82 (©Libreria vaticana editrice)

Peace comes from the human heart

The problems of peace and of disarmament have already been the subject of extensive, strenuous and constant examination. Together with international meetings dealing with these problems, such studies should be regarded as the first steps toward solving these serious questions, and should be promoted with even greater urgency by way of yielding concrete results in the future. Nevertheless, men should take heed not to entrust themselves only to the efforts of some, while not caring about their own attitudes...

It does no good to work for peace as long as feelings of hostility, contempt and distrust, as well as racial hatred and unbending ideologies, continue to divide men and place them in opposing camps. Consequently there is above all a pressing need for a renewed education of attitudes and for new inspiration in public opinion. Those who are dedicated to the work of education, particularly of the young, or who mold public opinion, should consider it their most weighty task to instruct all in fresh sentiments of peace. Indeed, we all need a change of heart as we regard the entire world and those tasks which we can perform in unison for the betterment of our race.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:31

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 31 August 2009
Monday of the Twenty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Saint Raymund Nonnatus, (1204-1240)

Saint Bonaventure : "Isn't this the son of Joseph?"

First Letter to the Thessalonians 4:13-18.

We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, about those who have fallen asleep, so that you may not grieve like the rest, who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose, so too will God, through Jesus, bring with him those who have fallen asleep. Indeed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore, console one another with these words.

Psalms 96:1.3.4-5.11-12.13.

Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
Tell God's glory among the nations; among all peoples, God's marvelous deeds.
For great is the LORD and highly to be praised, to be feared above all gods.
For the gods of the nations all do nothing, but the LORD made the heavens.
Let the heavens be glad and the earth rejoice; let the sea and what fills it resound;
let the plains be joyful and all that is in them. Then let all the trees of the forest rejoice
before the LORD who comes, who comes to govern the earth, To govern the world with justice and the peoples with faithfulness.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 4:16-30.

He came to Nazareth, where he had grown up, and went according to his custom into the synagogue on the sabbath day. He stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord." Rolling up the scroll, he handed it back to the attendant and sat down, and the eyes of all in the synagogue looked intently at him. He said to them, "Today this scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing." And all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They also asked, "Isn't this the son of Joseph?" He said to them, "Surely you will quote me this proverb, 'Physician, cure yourself,' and say, 'Do here in your native place the things that we heard were done in Capernaum.'" And he said, "Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian." When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bonaventure (1221-1274), Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
Meditations on the life of Christ ; Opera omnia, vol. 12,

"Isn't this the son of Joseph?"

It seems to me that they have attained the highest degree of all who, with all their hearts and without duplicity, have sufficient mastery over themselves to seek nothing other than to be despised, accounted for nothing and live in utter abasement... So long as you haven't attained to this, believe yourself to have achieved nothing. For since, indeed, we are all «unprofitable servants», in the Lord's words (Lk 17,10), even were we to carry out everything well, so long as we haven't attained this degree of lowliness we shan't yet be standing in the truth but will be, and will be proceeding in vanity...

You know, too, how the Lord Jesus began to act first of all before he began to teach. Later on he would say: «Learn from me for I am meek and humble in heart» (Mt 11,29). But first of all he wanted to put this truly into practice and without duplicity. He did this with all his heart just as, with all his heart and in very truth, he was humble and meek. There was no «yes» and «no» in him (cf 2Cor 1,19). He immersed himself so deeply in humility, scorn and abjection, annihilated himself so much in the eyes of all, that when he started to preach, proclaim God's wonders and accomplish miracles and wonderful works, no one showed him any regard. He was despised and mocked, saying: «Isn't this the carpenter's son?» and similar words. So the words of the apostle Paul became true: «He humbled himself, taking the form of a slave» (Phil 2,7). Not just an ordinary servant through his incarnation, but a slave of no account according to the manner of a humble and despised life.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:32

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 01 September 2009
Tuesday of the Twenty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Giles of Castaneda, Abbot (640-720)

Diadochus of Photike : "Be quiet! Come out of him!"

First Letter to the Thessalonians 5:1-6.9-11.

Concerning times and seasons, brothers, you have no need for anything to be written to you. For you yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief at night. When people are saying, "Peace and security," then sudden disaster comes upon them, like labor pains upon a pregnant woman,and they will not escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness, for that day to overtake you like a thief. For all of you are children of the light and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness. Therefore, let us not sleep as the rest do, but let us stay alert and sober. For God did not destine us for wrath, but to gain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live together with him. Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, as indeed you do.

Psalms 27:1.4.13-14.

Of David The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? The LORD is my life's refuge; of whom am I afraid?
One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, To gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.
But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 4:31-37.

Jesus then went down to Capernaum, a town of Galilee. He taught them on the sabbath, and they were astonished at his teaching because he spoke with authority. In the synagogue there was a man with the spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out in a loud voice, Ha! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God! Jesus rebuked him and said, "Be quiet! Come out of him!" Then the demon threw the man down in front of them and came out of him without doing him any harm. They were all amazed and said to one another, "What is there about his word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out." And news of him spread everywhere in the surrounding region.

Commentary of the day :

Diadochus of Photike (c.400-?), Bishop
A century on knowledge, 78-80, in the Philocalia

"Be quiet! Come out of him!"

Baptism, which is the bath of holiness, takes away the stain of our sins but does not as yet alter the dividedness of our wills nor prevent the evil spirits from fighting against us or engaging us in delusions.... But God's grace has its dwelling in the depth of our soul, that is in the understanding. For it is said that «all glorious is the king's daughter within» (Ps 45[44],14): she does not show herself to demons. That is why it is from the very depths of our hearts that we seem to feel the divine longing spring up as we fervently call God to mind. But then the evil spirits jump into our bodily senses and conceal themselves there, taking advantage of a relaxation of the flesh... Thus, according to the divine apostle Paul, our understanding always takes delight in the law of the Spirit (Rom 7,22) but our fleshly senses want to be carried away down the steep slopes of pleasure...

«The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not received it» (cf Jn 1,5)...: God's Word, the true light, counted it fitting to make himself known to creation in his own flesh by lighting the light of knowledge within us in his immeasurable love for humankind. The spirit of the world did not accept God's design, that is to say did not know it...; however, that wonderful theologian, John the evangelist, adds: «He is the true light enlightening everyone coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world came to be through him, and the world did not know him. He came to what was his own but his own people did not accept him. But to those who did accept him he gave power to become children of God» (v.9-12). It was not Satan whom the evangelist says did not accept the true light since, from the beginning, the light was a stranger to him since it does not shine in him. But he rightly criticises those people who understand God's power and wonders but, because of their darkened hearts, don't want to approach the light of knowing him.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 02 September 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Bl. Ingrid of Sweden, (+1282)

Saint Eucherius : "Jesus left and went to a deserted place"

Letter to the Colossians 1:1-8.

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the holy ones and faithful brothers in Christ in Colossae: grace to you and peace from God our Father. We always give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love that you have for all the holy ones because of the hope reserved for you in heaven. Of this you have already heard through the word of truth, the gospel, that has come to you. Just as in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing, so also among you, from the day you heard it and came to know the grace of God in truth, as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow slave, who is a trustworthy minister of Christ on your behalf and who also told us of your love in the Spirit.

Psalms 52:10.11.

But I, like an olive tree in the house of God, trust in God's faithful love forever.
I will praise you always for what you have done. I will proclaim before the faithful that your name is good.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 4:38-44.

After he left the synagogue, he entered the house of Simon. Simon's mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with him about her. He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and waited on them. At sunset, all who had people sick with various diseases brought them to him. He laid his hands on each of them and cured them. And demons also came out from many, shouting, "You are the Son of God." But he rebuked them and did not allow them to speak because they knew that he was the Messiah. At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place. The crowds went looking for him, and when they came to him, they tried to prevent him from leaving them. But he said to them, "To the other towns also I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this purpose I have been sent." And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Eucherius (?-c.450), Bishop of Lyons
In praise of the desert

"Jesus left and went to a deserted place"

Might we not reasonably suggest that the desert is a limitless temple for our God? Because undoubtedly, someone living in silence is going to take pleasure in solitary places. It is there that he often makes himself known to his saints; it is under cover of the solitude that he condescends to encounter people.

It was in the desert that Moses saw God, his face bathed in light... It was there that he was permitted to converse familiarly with the Lord; he exchanged speech with him; he conversed with the Lord of heaven just as people habitually converse with their fellows. It was there he received the staff that had power to work wonders and, after entering the desert as a shepherd of sheep, he left the desert as a shepherd of peoples (Ex 3; 33,11; 34).

Similarly, when the people of God were to be set free from Egypt and delivered from their earthly works, did they not make their way into a place apart and take refuge in the solitudes? Yes indeed, it was in the desert that it was to draw near to this God who snatched them out of their bondage... And the Lord made himself the leader of his people, guiding them across the desert. Day and night along the way he set a pillar, a burning flame or a shining cloud, as a sign from heaven... Thus the children of Israel, while living in the solitudes of the desert, attained the vision of God's throne and heard his voice...

Must I add that they did not reach the land they desired until they had sojourned in the desert? That the people might one day enter into possession of a land where milk and honey flowed they had first to pass through dry and uncultivated places. It is always by means of camps in the desert that we make our way towards our true homeland. Let those who wish to see «the bounty of the Lord in the land of the living» (Ps 27[26],13) dwell in an uninhabitable land. Let those who would become citizens of heaven become guests of the desert.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 03 September 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Gregory the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church (c.540-604)

Saint Antony of Padua : "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men"

Letter to the Colossians 1:9-14.

Therefore, from the day we heard this, we do not cease praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding to live in a manner worthy of the Lord, so as to be fully pleasing, in every good work bearing fruit and growing in the knowledge of God, strengthened with every power, in accord with his glorious might, for all endurance and patience, with joy giving thanks to the Father, who has made you fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light. He delivered us from the power of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Psalms 98(97):2-6.

The LORD has made his victory known; has revealed his triumph for the nations to see,
Has remembered faithful love toward the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the LORD, all the earth; break into song; sing praise.
Sing praise to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and melodious song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn shout with joy to the King, the LORD.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 5:1-11.

While the crowd was pressing in on Jesus and listening to the word of God, he was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret. He saw two boats there alongside the lake; the fishermen had disembarked and were washing their nets. Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. After he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch." Simon said in reply, "Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets." When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish and their nets were tearing. They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come to help them. They came and filled both boats so that they were in danger of sinking. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, "Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man." For astonishment at the catch of fish they had made seized him and all those with him, and likewise James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners of Simon. Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men." When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Antony of Padua (c.1195-1231), Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
Sermons for Sundays and Saints' days

"Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men"

«At your word I will lower the nets.» It is at the command of divine grace and supernatural inspiration that the nets of preaching are to be spread out. Otherwise the preacher wastes his time in lowering the lines of his words. People's faith is won, not by carefully composed speeches but the grace of a divine vocation... O fruitful humility! When those who so far haven't caught a thing put their trust in Christ's word, they catch a great number of fish...

«At your word I will lower the nets.» Whenever I lowered them on my own I wanted to keep what belongs to you for myself. It was myself I was preaching and not you; my words, not yours. That's why I caught nothing. Or if I did catch something, it wasn't fish but frogs, only good for croaking my own praise...

«At your word I will lower the nets.» Running out the net at the word of Jesus Christ means not attributing anything to oneself but all to him; it means practising what one preaches. Then a great number of fish will be caught.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:47

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 04 September 2009
Friday of the Twenty-second week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Rosalia, Virgin (+1160)

Saint Augustine : "While the bridegroom is with them"

Letter to the Colossians 1:15-20.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For in him were created all things in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things were created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he himself might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile all things for him, making peace by the blood of his cross (through him), whether those on earth or those in heaven.

Psalms 100(99):1-5.

A psalm of thanksgiving. Shout joyfully to the LORD, all you lands;
worship the LORD with cries of gladness; come before him with joyful song.
Know that the LORD is God, our maker to whom we belong, whosepeople we are, God's well-tended flock.
Enter the temple gates with praise, its courts with thanksgiving. Give thanks to God, bless his name;
good indeed is the LORD, Whose love endures forever, whose faithfulness lasts through every age.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 5:33-39.

And they said to him, "The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and the disciples of the Pharisees do the same; but yours eat and drink." Jesus answered them, "Can you make the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, and when the bridegroom is taken away from them, then they will fast in those days." And he also told them a parable. "No one tears a piece from a new cloak to patch an old one. Otherwise, he will tear the new and the piece from it will not match the old cloak. Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be ruined. Rather, new wine must be poured into fresh wineskins. (And) no one who has been drinking old wine desires new, for he says, 'The old is good.'"

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Homilies on the First Epistle of Saint Jean, I, 2 (©Augustinian heritage institute; SC 75, p. 115)

"While the bridegroom is with them"

«We have seen,» he says, «and we are witnesses.» Where did they see? In a manifestation. What does that mean, "in a manifestation"? In the sun -that is, in this light. But how could he who made the sun be seen in the sun if not for the fact that «he pitched his tent in the sun and, like a bridegroom coming forth from his marriage bed, rejoiced like a giant to run his course» (Ps 19,4-5)? He who made the sun was before the sun, he was before the morning star, before all the stars, before all the angels. He is the true creator, because «everything was made through him, and apart from him nothing was made» (Jn 1,3). Thus he would be seen by the fleshly eyes that see the sun. He pitched his tent itself in the sun-that is, he showed his flesh in the manifestation of this light. And the marriage bed of that bridegroom was the Virgin's womb.

For in that virginal womb two things were joined, a bridegroom and a bride, the bridegroom being the Word and the bride being flesh. For it is written, «And they shall be two in one flesh» (Gn 2,24 Vg), and the Lord says in the gospel, «Therefore they are no longer two but one flesh» (Mt 19,6). Isaiah also notes very well that these two are themselves one, for he speaks in the person of Christ and says, «He set a wreath upon me like a bridegroom, and like a bride he adorned me with an ornament» (61,10). One person appears to be speaking, and he has made himself a bridegroom and has made himself a bride, because they aren't two but one flesh, for «the Word was made flesh and dwelled among us,» (Jn 1,14) The Church is joined to that flesh, and Christ becomes the whole, head and body (Eph 1,22).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:48

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 06 September 2009
Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Eleutherius, Abbot (c. 585)

Saint Laurence of Brindisi : "He has done all things well"

Book of Isaiah 35:4-7.

Say to those whose hearts are frightened: Be strong, fear not! Here is your God, he comes with vindication; With divine recompense he comes to save you. Then will the eyes of the blind be opened, the ears of the deaf be cleared; Then will the lame leap like a stag, then the tongue of the dumb will sing. Streams will burst forth in the desert, and rivers in the steppe. The burning sands will become pools, and the thirsty ground, springs of water; The abode where jackals lurk will be a marsh for the reed and papyrus.

Psalms 146(145):7-10.

secures justice for the oppressed, gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free;
the LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
The LORD protects the stranger, sustains the orphan and the widow, but thwarts the way of the wicked.
The LORD shall reign forever, your God, Zion, through all generations! Hallelujah!

Letter of James 2:1-5.

My brothers, show no partiality as you adhere to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. For if a man with gold rings on his fingers and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and a poor person in shabby clothes also comes in, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say, "Sit here, please," while you say to the poor one, "Stand there," or "Sit at my feet," have you not made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil designs? Listen, my beloved brothers. Did not God choose those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom that he promised to those who love him?

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 7:31-37.

Again he left the district of Tyre and went by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, into the district of the Decapolis. And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment and begged him to lay his hand on him. He took him off by himself away from the crowd. He put his finger into the man's ears and, spitting, touched his tongue; then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him, "Ephphatha!" (that is, "Be opened!") And (immediately) the man's ears were opened, his speech impediment was removed, and he spoke plainly. He ordered them not to tell anyone. But the more he ordered them not to, the more they proclaimed it. They were exceedingly astonished and they said, "He has done all things well. He makes the deaf hear and (the) mute speak."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Laurence of Brindisi (1559-1619), Capuchin, Doctor of the Church
11th Sunday after Pentecost, First homily, 1.9.11-12; Opera omnia, 8, 124.134.136-138 (©Friends of Henry Ashworth)

"He has done all things well"

Just as the divine law says that when God created the world «he saw all that he had made and it was very good,» (Gn 1,31) so the gospel speaking of our redemption and re-creation, affirms: «He has done all things well» (Mk 7,37)... As fire can give out nothing but heat and is incapable of giving out cold; and as the sun gives out nothing but light and is incapable of giving out darkness, so God is incapable of doing anything but good, for he is infinite goodness and light He is a sun giving out endless light a fire producing endless warmth. «He has done all things well.»

The law says that all God did was good; the gospel says he has done all things well. Doing a good deed is not quite the same as doing it well. Many do good deeds but fail to do them well. The deeds of hypocrites, for example, are good, but they are done in the wrong spirit, with a perverse and defective intention. Everything God does, however, is not only good but is also done well. «The Lord is just in all his ways and holy in all his deeds. With wisdom you have done them all» (Ps 145[144].17)... Now if God has done all his good works and done them well for our sake, knowing that we take pleasure in goodness, why I ask do we not endeavor to make all our works good and to do them well, knowing that such works are pleasing to God?
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:48

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 07 September 2009
Monday of the Twenty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Cloud, Priest (522-c.560)

Saint Ambrose : "There was a man there whose right hand was withered"

Letter to the Colossians 1:24-29.2:1-3.

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church, of which I am a minister in accordance with God's stewardship given to me to bring to completion for you the word of God, the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past. But now it has been manifested to his holy ones, to whom God chose to make known the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; it is Christ in you, the hope for glory. It is he whom we proclaim, admonishing everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. For this I labor and struggle, in accord with the exercise of his power working within me. For I want you to know how great a struggle I am having for you and for those in Laodicea and all who have not seen me face to face, that their hearts may be encouraged as they are brought together in love, to have all the richness of fully assured understanding, for the knowledge of the mystery of God, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Psalms 62(61):6-7.9.

My soul, be at rest in God alone, from whom comes my hope.
God alone is my rock and my salvation, my secure height; I shall not fall.
Trust God at all times, my people! Pour out your hearts to God our refuge! Selah

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:6-11.

On another sabbath he went into the synagogue and taught, and there was a man there whose right hand was withered. The scribes and the Pharisees watched him closely to see if he would cure on the sabbath so that they might discover a reason to accuse him. But he realized their intentions and said to the man with the withered hand, "Come up and stand before us." And he rose and stood there. Then Jesus said to them, "I ask you, is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?" Looking around at them all, he then said to him, "Stretch out your hand." He did so and his hand was restored. But they became enraged and discussed together what they might do to Jesus.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Saint Luke's Gospel, V, 39 (SC 45, p.197 rev.)

"There was a man there whose right hand was withered"

The same hand that Adam stretched out to pluck the fruit of the forbidden tree was filled by the Lord with the sap of good deeds so that, dried up by sin, it might be healed by its good deeds. On this occasion Christ took to task those enemies of his who, by their false interpretations, violated the commands of the Law. They considered that people should even set aside good deeds on the Sabbath day, whereas the Law was foreshadowing in the present the outlines of the future when, without any doubt at all, it will be evil that will no longer be working, not good...
You heard, then, the Lord's words: «Stretch out your hand.» Here is the cure for us all. And as for you who believe your hands are clean, beware lest avarice and beware lest sacrilege paralyse it. Stretch it out frequently: stretch it out towards the poor man who is begging you; stretch it out to assist a neighbour, to bring help to a widow, to rescue from injustice someone you see to be subjected to undeserved humiliation; stretch it out towards God for your sins. This is how our hands are stretched out; this is how they heal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next