Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Jun 30 2010, 12:39

DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Wednesday, 30 June 2010
Wednesday of the Thirteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : 1st Martyrs of Rome (+ 1st century)

Vatican Council II: "The people begged him to leave their district"

Book of Amos 5:14-15.21-24.

Seek good and not evil, that you may live; Then truly will the LORD, the God of hosts, be with you as you claim! Hate evil and love good, and let justice prevail at the gate; Then it may be that the LORD, the God of hosts, will have pity on the remnant of Joseph. I hate, I spurn your feasts, I take no pleasure in your solemnities; Your cereal offerings I will not accept, nor consider your stall-fed peace offerings. Away with your noisy songs! I will not listen to the melodies of your harps. But if you would offer me holocausts, then let justice surge like water, and goodness like an unfailing stream.

Psalms 50:7.8-9.10-11.12-13.16-17.

"Listen, my people, I will speak; Israel, I will testify against you; God, your God, am I.
Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, nor for your holocausts, set before me daily.
I need no bullock from your house, no goats from your fold.
For every animal of the forest is mine, beasts by the thousands on my mountains.
I know every bird of the heavens; the creatures of the field belong to me.
Were I hungry, I would not tell you, for mine is the world and all that fills it.
Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?
But to the wicked God says: "Why do you recite my commandments and profess my covenant with your lips?
You hate discipline; you cast my words behind you!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:28-34.

When he came to the other side, to the territory of the Gadarenes, two demoniacs who were coming from the tombs met him. They were so savage that no one could travel by that road. They cried out, "What have you to do with us, Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the appointed time?" Some distance away a herd of many swine was feeding. The demons pleaded with him, "If you drive us out, send us into the herd of swine." And he said to them, "Go then!" They came out and entered the swine, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea where they drowned. The swineherds ran away, and when they came to the town they reported everything, including what had happened to the demoniacs. Thereupon the whole town came out to meet Jesus, and when they saw him they begged him to leave their district.

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Constitution on the Church in the modern world (Gaudium et spes), 9-10

"The people begged him to leave their district"

The modern world shows itself at once powerful and weak, capable of the noblest deeds or the foulest; before it lies the path to freedom or to slavery, to progress or retreat, to brotherhood or hatred. Moreover, man is becoming aware that it is his responsibility to guide aright the forces which he has unleashed and which can enslave him or minister to him. That is why he is putting questions to himself.

The truth is that the imbalances under which the modern world labors are linked with that more basic imbalance which is rooted in the heart of man. For in man himself many elements wrestle with one another. Thus, on the one hand, as a creature he experiences his limitations in a multitude of ways; on the other he feels himself to be boundless in his desires and summoned to a higher life. Pulled by manifold attractions he is constantly forced to choose among them and renounce some. Indeed, as a weak and sinful being, he often does what he would not, and fails to do what he would (Rm 7,15) Hence he suffers from internal divisions, and from these flow so many and such great discords in society...

Nevertheless, in the face of the modern development of the world, the number constantly swells of the people who raise the most basic questions or recognize them with a new sharpness: what is man? What is this sense of sorrow, of evil, of death, which continues to exist despite so much progress? What purpose have these victories purchased at so high a cost? What can man offer to society, what can he expect from it? What follows this earthly life?

The Church firmly believes that Christ, who died and was raised up for all, can through His Spirit offer man the light and the strength to measure up to his supreme destiny. Nor has any other name under the heaven been given to man by which it is fitting for him to be saved. (Ac 4,12) She likewise holds that in her most benign Lord and Master can be found the key, the focal point and the goal of man, as well as of all human history. The Church also maintains that beneath all changes there are many realities which do not change and which have their ultimate foundation in Christ, Who is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever.(Heb 13,8).

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Oct 16 2011, 13:40

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 16 October 2011

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Hedwig, Religious (1174-1243), Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, Virgin (1647-1690)

Laurence of Brindisi : Becoming a true image of God

Book of Isaiah 45:1.4-6.
Thus says the LORD to his anointed, Cyrus, whose right hand I grasp, Subduing nations before him, and making kings run in his service, Opening doors before him and leaving the gates unbarred:
For the sake of Jacob, my servant, of Israel my chosen one, I have called you by your name, giving you a title, though you knew me not.
I am the LORD and there is no other, there is no God besides me. It is I who arm you, though you know me not,
so that toward the rising and the setting of the sun men may know that there is none besides me. I am the LORD, there is no other;

Psalms 96(95):1.3.4-5.7-8.9-10a.10c.
Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
Tell God's glory among the nations; among all peoples, God's marvelous deeds.
For great is the LORD and highly to be praised, to be feared above all gods.
For the gods of the nations all do nothing, but the LORD made the heavens.

Give to the LORD, you families of nations, give to the LORD glory and might;
give to the LORD the glory due his name! Bring gifts and enter his courts;
bow down to the LORD, splendid in holiness. Tremble before God, all the earth;
say among the nations: The LORD is king. The world will surely stand fast, never to be moved. God rules the peoples with fairness.

First Letter to the Thessalonians 1:1-5b.
Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy to the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: grace to you and peace.
We give thanks to God always for all of you, remembering you in our prayers, unceasingly
calling to mind your work of faith and labor of love and endurance in hope of our Lord Jesus Christ, before our God and Father,
knowing, brothers loved by God, how you were chosen.
For our gospel did not come to you in word alone, but also in power and in the holy Spirit and (with) much conviction. You know what sort of people we were (among) you for your sake.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 22:15-21.
Then the Pharisees went off and plotted how they might entrap him in speech.
They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion, for you do not regard a person's status.
Tell us, then, what is your opinion: Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"
Knowing their malice, Jesus said, "Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?
Show me the coin that pays the census tax." Then they handed him the Roman coin.
He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"
They replied, "Caesar's." At that he said to them, "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."

Commentary of the day :

Laurence of Brindisi (1559-1619), Capucin, Doctor of the Church
Sermon for the 22nd Sunday after Pentecost, 2-5 ; Opera omnia 8, 335

Becoming a true image of God
“Therefore give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.” We are to give back to each their due. Now this is a saying that is truly full of wisdom and heavenly understanding because it teaches us that there are two sorts of power, one earthly and human, the other heavenly and divine... It teaches us that we are bound in this way to a twofold form of obedience, one to human laws and the other to divine... We are to pay Caesar with the coin bearing the image and inscription of Caesar and God with what has received the seal and image of the divine likeness: “The light of your countenance, O Lord, is signed upon us” (Ps 4,7 Vg.).

We have been created in the image and likeness of God (Gn 1,26). You are a man, O Christian. So you are the money in the divine treasure-chest, a coin bearing the image and inscription of the divine emperor. From now on if I ask with Christ: “Whose image and inscription are these?”, you reply: “God's”. And I answer: “So why do you not give back to God what is his?”

If we truly want to be God's image then we must resemble Christ, since he is the image of God's goodness and “the very imprint of his being” (Heb 1,3). And God “predestined those he foreknew to be conformed to the image of his Son” (Rm 8,29). Christ truly gave back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God. He observed in the most perfect way possible the precepts contained in the two tablets of the divine law “becoming obedient unto death, even death on a cross” (Phil 2,8). Thus he was adorned in the highest degree with all virtues, both manifest and concealed.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 17 2011, 18:26

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 17 October 2011

Monday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop & Martyr († c. 107)

Saint Basil : Store up treasure for yourself or make yourself rich in the sight of God?

Letter to the Romans 4:20-25.
He did not doubt God's promise in unbelief; rather, he was empowered by faith and gave glory to God
and was fully convinced that what he had promised he was also able to do.
That is why "it was credited to him as righteousness."
But it was not for him alone that it was written that "it was credited to him";
it was also for us, to whom it will be credited, who believe in the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead,
who was handed over for our transgressions and was raised for our justification.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 1:69-70.71-72.73-75.
He has raised up a horn for our salvation within the house of David his servant,
even as he promised through the mouth of his holy prophets from of old:
salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us,
to show mercy to our fathers and to be mindful of his holy covenant
and of the oath he swore to Abraham our father, and to grant us that,
rescued from the hand of enemies, without fear we might worship him
in holiness and righteousness before him all our days.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:13-21.
Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me."
He replied to him, "Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?"
Then he said to the crowd, "Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions."
Then he told them a parable. "There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?'
And he said, 'This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods
and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!"
But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?'
Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Basil (c.330-379), monk and Bishop of Caesarea in Cappadocia, Doctor of the Church
Homily 31; PG 31, 261 (©Friends of Henry Ashworth)

Store up treasure for yourself or make yourself rich in the sight of God?
"What am I to do? I will pull down my barns, and build larger ones." Now why did that land bear so well when it belonged to a man who would make no good use of its fertility? It was to show more clearly the forbearance of God, whose kindness extends even to such people as this. He “sends rain on both the just and the unjust, and makes the sun rise on the wicked and the good alike” (Mt 5,45)... These were God's blessings towards this rich man: fruitful fields, a temperate climate, abundant sowing, oxen to do the work and everything needful to assure his prosperity. But what do we find in this man? A bitter disposition, hatred of other people, unwillingness to give. This is the return he made to his Benefactor.

He forgot that we all share the same nature; he felt no obligation to distribute his surplus to the needy; he paid no heed to those divine precepts: “Refuse no one the good on which he has a claim” (Prv 3,27), “Let not kindness and fidelity leave you” (3,3), “Share your bread with the hungry” (Is 58,7). Every prophet, every wise man cried out to him these precepts yet he turned a deaf ear. His barns were full to bursting point, but still his miserly heart was not satisfied... Greed would not permit him to part with anything he possessed, and yet because he had so much there was no place to store his latest harvest And so he was incapable of making a decision and could find no escape from his anxiety. “What am I to do?” he went on saying. Who would not pity a man so oppressed? His land yields him no profit but only sighs...; he laments in the same way as the poor do. What am I to do? How can I find food and clothing?...

You who have wealth, recognize who has given you the gifts you have received. Consider yourself, who you are, what has been committed to your charge, from whom you have received it, why you have been preferred to most other people. You are the servant of the good God, a steward on behalf of your fellow servants... “What am I to do?” It would have been so easy to say: "I will feed the hungry, I will open my barns and call in all the poor... Let anyone who lacks bread come to me. You shall share, each according to need, in the good things God has given me, just as though you were drawing from a common well”.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Oct 18 2011, 10:59

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Saint Luke, evangelist - Feast

Saint(s) of the day : St. Luke, Evangelist - Feast, St. Peter of Alcantara, Priest (1499-1562)

Vatican Council II: Saint Luke's testimony : “I too have decided, after investigating everything accurately to write it down in an orderly sequence” (Lk 1,3)

Second Letter to Timothy 4:9-17b.

Try to join me soon,
for Demas, enamored of the present world, deserted me and went to Thessalonica, Crescens to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia.
Luke is the only one with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is helpful to me in the ministry.
I have sent Tychicus to Ephesus.
When you come, bring the cloak I left with Carpus in Troas, the papyrus rolls, and especially the parchments.
Alexander the coppersmith did me a great deal of harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds.
You too be on guard against him, for he has strongly resisted our preaching.
At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them!
But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was rescued from the lion's mouth.

Psalms 145(144):10-11.12-13ab.17-18.
All your works give you thanks, O LORD and your faithful bless you.
They speak of the glory of your reign and tell of your great works,
Making known to all your power, the glorious splendor of your rule.
Your reign is a reign for all ages, your dominion for all generations. The LORD is trustworthy in every word, and faithful in every work.

You, LORD, are just in all your ways, faithful in all your works.
You, LORD, are near to all who call upon you, to all who call upon you in truth.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 10:1-9.
Jesus appointed seventy-two other disciples whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit.
He said to them, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest.
Go on your way; behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves.
Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals; and greet no one along the way.
Into whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace to this household.'
If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you.
Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. Do not move about from one house to another.
Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you,
cure the sick in it and say to them, 'The kingdom of God is at hand for you.'

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Dogmatic Constitution on Revelation “ Dei Verbum ”, § 18-19

Saint Luke's testimony : “I too have decided, after investigating everything accurately to write it down in an orderly sequence” (Lk 1,3)
Among all the Scriptures, even those of the New Testament, the Gospels have a special pre-eminence, and rightly so, for they are the principal witness for the life and teaching of the incarnate Word, our savior. The Church has always and everywhere held and continues to hold that the four Gospels are of apostolic origin. For what the Apostles preached in fulfillment of the commission of Christ, afterwards they themselves and apostolic men, under the inspiration of the divine Spirit, handed on to us in writing: the foundation of faith, namely, the fourfold Gospel, according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Holy Mother Church has firmly and with absolute constancy held, and continues to hold, that the four Gospels just named, whose historical character the Church unhesitatingly asserts, faithfully hand on what Jesus Christ, while living among men, really did and taught for their eternal salvation until the day He was taken up into heaven (Acts 1,1-2). Indeed, after the Ascension of the Lord the Apostles handed on to their hearers what He had said and done. This they did with that clearer understanding which they enjoyed after they had been instructed by the glorious events of Christ's life and taught by the light of the Spirit of truth (Jn 14,26).

The sacred authors wrote the four Gospels, selecting some things from the many which had been handed on by word of mouth or in writing, reducing some of them to a synthesis, explaining some things in view of the situation of their churches and preserving the form of proclamation but always in such fashion that they told us the honest truth about Jesus. For their intention in writing was that either from their own memory and recollections, or from the witness of those who "themselves from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word" we might know "the truth concerning those matters about which we have been instructed” (Lk 1, 1-4).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Oct 20 2011, 01:54

.DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Wednesday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : Sts. Isaac Jogues, John de Brébeuf and Companions - Memorial

Blessed John Henry Newman : "Watch!"

Letter to the Romans 6:12-18

Therefore, sin must not reign over your mortal bodies so that you obey their desires.
And do not present the parts of your bodies to sin as weapons for wickedness, but present yourselves to God as raised from the dead to life and the parts of your bodies to God as weapons for righteousness.
For sin is not to have any power over you, since you are not under the law but under grace.
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? Of course not!
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?
But thanks be to God that, although you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient from the heart to the pattern of teaching to which you were entrusted.
Freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.

Psalms 124(123):1-3.4-6.7-8.
A song of ascents. Of David. I Had not the LORD been with us, let Israel say,
Had not the LORD been with us, when people rose against us,
They would have swallowed us alive, for their fury blazed against us.
The waters would have engulfed us, the torrent overwhelmed us;

seething waters would have drowned us.
Blessed be the LORD, who did not leave us to be torn by their fangs.
We escaped with our lives like a bird from the fowler's snare; the snare was broken and we escaped.
Our help is the name of the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:39-48.
Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour when the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into.
You also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come."
Then Peter said, "Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?"
And the Lord replied, "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute (the) food allowance at the proper time?
Blessed is that servant whom his master on arrival finds doing so.
Truly, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property.
But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, to eat and drink and get drunk,
then that servant's master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the unfaithful.
That servant who knew his master's will but did not make preparations nor act in accord with his will shall be beaten severely;
and the servant who was ignorant of his master's will but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating shall be beaten only lightly. Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed John Henry Newman (1801-1890), priest, founder of a religious community, theologian
Sermon “ Watching ” ; PPS, t. 4, n° 22

"Watch!"
Our Savior gave this warning when He was leaving this world,—leaving it, that is, as far as His visible presence is concerned. He looked forward to the many hundred years which were to pass before He came again. He knew His own purpose and His Father's purpose gradually to leave the world to itself, gradually to withdraw from it the tokens of His gracious presence. He contemplated, as contemplating all things, the neglect of Him which would spread even among his professed followers... He foresaw the state of the world and the Church, as we see it this day, when His prolonged absence has made it practically thought, that He never will come back in visible presence.

Today, He mercifully whispers into our ears, not to trust in what we see, not to share in that general unbelief, not to be carried away by the world, but to "take heed, watch and pray," (Lk 21,34.36) and look out for His coming. Surely this gracious warning should be ever in our thoughts, being so precise, so solemn, so earnest.

Our Savior foretold His first coming, yet He took His Church by surprise when He came; much more will He come suddenly the second time, and overtake men, now that He has not measured out the interval before it, as then He did, but left our watchfulness to the keeping of faith and love... We are not simply to believe, but to watch; not simply to love, but to watch; not simply to obey, but to watch; to watch for what? for that great event, Christ's coming... we seem to see a special duty enjoined on us...: most of us have a general idea what is meant by believing, fearing, loving, and obeying; but perhaps we do not contemplate or apprehend what is meant by “watching”.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Oct 20 2011, 11:02

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Thursday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Paul of the Cross, Priest (1693-1775), St. Maria Bertilla Boscardin, Virgin (1888-1922)

Saint Faustina Kowalska : “To light a fire on the earth”: the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:3)

Letter to the Romans 6:19-23.
I am speaking in human terms bec
ause of the weakness of your nature. For just as you presented the parts of your bodies as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness for lawless ness, so now present them as slaves to righteousness for sanctification.
For when you were slaves of sin, you were free from righteousness.
But what profit did you get then from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death.

But now that you have been freed from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit that you have leads to sanctification, and its end is eternal life.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalms 1:1-2.3.4.6.
Happy those who do not follow the counsel of the wicked, Nor go the way of sinners, nor sit in company with scoffers.
Rather, the law of the LORD is their joy; God's law they study day and night.
They are like a tree planted near streams of water, that yields its fruit in season; Its leaves never wither; whatever they do prospers.
But not the wicked! They are like chaff driven by the wind.

The LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:49-53.
I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!
There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!

Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.
From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three;
a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938), Religious Sister
Journal, V, 42

“To light a fire on the earth”: the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:3)
O Spirit of God, Spirit of love and of mercy,
Who pours into my heart the balm of trust,
Your grace confirms my soul in what is good,
Giving it an invincible strength: constancy!

O Spirit of God, Spirit of peace and of joy,
Who comforts my thirsting heart,
Pour into it the living spring of divine love
And make it dauntless in battle.

O Spirit of God, my soul’s most lovable guest,
I for my part desire to be faithful to you
In days of joy as much as in days of suffering;
Spirit of God, I desire to live always in your presence.

O Spirit of God who penetrates my being
And lets me know your divine and Trinitarian life,
You initiate me to your divine Being;
Thus united with you, I have eternal life.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Oct 22 2011, 02:22

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 21 October 2011

Friday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Hilarion, Abbot and Hermit (291-371), St. Ursula, Virgin and Martyr († 453)

Blessed John-Paul II: The signs of the times in today's world

Letter to the Romans 7:18-25a.

For I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh. The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not.
For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want.
Now if (I) do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand.
For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self,
but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Therefore, I myself, with my mind, serve the law of God but, with my flesh, the law of sin.

Psalms 119(118):66.68.76.77.93.94.
Teach me wisdom and knowledge, for in your commands I trust.
You are good and do what is good; teach me your laws.
May your love comfort me in accord with your promise to your servant.
Show me compassion that I may live, for your teaching is my delight.

I will never forget your precepts; through them you give me life.
I am yours; save me, for I cherish your precepts.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:54-59.
He also said to the crowds, "When you see (a) cloud rising in the west you say immediately that it is going to rain--and so it does;
and when you notice that the wind is blowing from the south you say that it is going to be hot--and so it is.
You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky; why do you not know how to interpret the present time?
Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?
If you are to go with your opponent before a magistrate, make an effort to settle the matter on the way; otherwise your opponent will turn you over to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the constable, and the constable throw you into prison.
I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny."

Commentary of the day :

Blessed John-Paul II, Pope from 1978 to 2005
Apostolic Letter “ Novo millennio innuente ” § 33 (trans. © Libreria Editrice Vaticana)

The signs of the times in today's world
Is it not one of the "signs of the times" that in today's world, despite widespread secularization, there is a widespread demand for spirituality, a demand which expresses itself in large part as a renewed need for prayer? Other religions, which are now widely present in ancient Christian lands, offer their own responses to this need, and sometimes they do so in appealing ways. But we who have received the grace of believing in Christ, the revealer of the Father and the Saviour of the world, have a duty to show to what depths the relationship with Christ can lead.

The great mystical tradition of the Church of both East and West has much to say in this regard. It shows how prayer can progress, as a genuine dialogue of love, to the point of rendering the person wholly possessed by the divine Beloved, vibrating at the Spirit's touch, resting filially within the Father's heart. This is the lived experience of Christ's promise: "He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him" (Jn 14:21)...

Yes, dear brothers and sisters, our Christian communities must become genuine "schools" of prayer, where the meeting with Christ is expressed not just in imploring help but also in thanksgiving, praise, adoration, contemplation, listening and ardent devotion, until the heart truly "falls in love". Intense prayer, yes, but it does not distract us from our commitment to history: by opening our heart to the love of God it also opens it to the love of our brothers and sisters, and makes us capable of shaping history according to God's plan.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Oct 23 2011, 02:46

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 22 October 2011

Saturday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : Bl. John Paul II, pope from 1920 to 2005, St. Mary Salome

Saint Nerses Chnorhali : "It may bear fruit in the future"

Letter to the Romans 8:1-11.

Hence, now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has freed you from the law of sin and death.
For what the law, weakened by the flesh, was powerless to do, this God has done: by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for the sake of sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,
so that the righteous decree of the law might be fulfilled in us, who live not according to the flesh but according to the spirit.
For those who live according to the flesh are concerned with the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit with the things of the spirit.
The concern of the flesh is death, but the concern of the spirit is life and peace.
For the concern of the flesh is hostility toward God; it does not submit to the law of God, nor can it;
and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
But you are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you. Whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
If the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also, through his Spirit that dwells in you.

Psalms 24(23):1-2.3-4ab.5-6.
A psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S and all it holds, the world and those who live there.
For God founded it on the seas, established it over the rivers.
Who may go up the mountain of the LORD? Who can stand in his holy place?
"The clean of hand and pure of heart, who are not devoted to idols, who have not sworn falsely.

They will receive blessings from the LORD, and justice from their saving God.
Such are the people that love the LORD, that seek the face of the God of Jacob." Selah

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:1-9.
Some people told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the blood of their sacrifices.
He said to them in reply, "Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were greater sinners than all other Galileans?
By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!
Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them --do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem?
By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!"
And he told them this parable: "There once was a person who had a fig tree planted in his orchard, and when he came in search of fruit on it but found none,
he said to the gardener, 'For three years now I have come in search of fruit on this fig tree but have found none. (So) cut it down. Why should it exhaust the soil?'
He said to him in reply, 'Sir, leave it for this year also, and I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it;
it may bear fruit in the future. If not you can cut it down.'"

Commentary of the day :

Saint Nerses Chnorhali (1102-1173), Armenian patriarch
Jesus, Only Son of the Father, §677-679 ; SC 203

"It may bear fruit in the future"
Curse me not as you cursed the fig tree (cf. Mt 21,19)
Though I be like a barren tree,
Lest the green leaves of my faith
Are withered with the fruit of my works.

But set me fast in what is good
Like the branch on the holy Vine
That your heavenly Father tends (Jn 15,2)
And the Spirit brings to fruit through its growth.

As for the tree that I am, barren in tasty fruit
But fruitful in bitter:
Do not cut it out of your vineyard
But transform it, hollowing it out in the fire.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 24 2011, 11:08

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 24 October 2011

Monday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Anthony Mary Claret, Archbishop (1807-1870)

Saint Gregory the Great : "Woman, you are set free of your infirmity"

Letter to the Romans 8:12-17.

Consequently, brothers, we are not debtors to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received a spirit of adoption, through which we cry, "Abba, Father!"
The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if only we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.

Psalms 68(67):2.4.6-7ab.20-21.
God will arise for battle; the enemy will be scattered; those who hate God will flee.
Then the just will be glad; they will rejoice before God; they will celebrate with great joy.
Father of the fatherless, defender of widows-- this is the God whose abode is holy,
Who gives a home to the forsaken, who leads prisoners out to prosperity, while rebels live in the desert.

Blessed be the Lord day by day, God, our salvation, who carries us. Selah
Our God is a God who saves; escape from death is in the LORD God's hands.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:10-17.
He was teaching in a synagogue on the sabbath.
And a woman was there who for eighteen years had been crippled by a spirit; she was bent over, completely incapable of standing erect.
When Jesus saw her, he called to her and said, "Woman, you are set free of your infirmity."
He laid his hands on her, and she at once stood up straight and glorified God.
But the leader of the synagogue, indignant that Jesus had cured on the sabbath, said to the crowd in reply, "There are six days when work should be done. Come on those days to be cured, not on the sabbath day."
The Lord said to him in reply, "Hypocrites! Does not each one of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his ass from the manger and lead it out for watering?
This daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound for eighteen years now, ought she not to have been set free on the sabbath day from this bondage?"
When he said this, all his adversaries were humiliated; and the whole crowd rejoiced at all the splendid deeds done by him.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory the Great (c.540-604), Pope, Doctor of the Church
Homilies on the Gospel, no.31 (©Cistercian Fathers series)

"Woman, you are set free of your infirmity"
“Jesus was teaching in a synagogue on the sabbath. And a woman was there who for eighteen years had been crippled by a spiri” ... “She was bent over and was quite unable to look upwards.” Ev­ery sinner who thinks about the things of earth and fails to seek those of heavenly things is unable to look upwards. When he follows his lower desires his heart is bent double and he is always looking at what he is continually thinking about. Turn into your hearts, dearly beloved. Look at what you are turning over in your thoughts at all hours. One per­son thinks about public honors, another about money, an­other about the acquisition of property. All these are inferior things. When your heart is involved with such things it is bent out of its upright condition. Since it is not rising toward heavenly desires, it resembles the woman who was bent over and unable to look upwards...

The psalmist spoke figuratively of the human race m re­gard to our bent condition: “I was bent over and humbled all sides” (Ps 38[37],7. Contemplative man was indeed created to behold the heavenly light. Because his sins deserved it, he was cast out to endure the darkness of his heart. Because he had no desire for things on high, he stretched out to things below... If a human being who had lost his heavenly contemplation were to think only of his phys­ical necessities he would be bent over and humbled, but not on all sides. When it is not only necessity that casts him down... but forbidden pleasures bring him low as well, he is not just bent over but “bent over on all sides”.

Back to top Go down
raven
Konek Thread Setter
  Konek Thread Setter

Date Joined : 2011-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Oct 25 2011, 00:22

nakakaaliw naman ito ilan sa mga bagay na masarap basahin at iapply sa buhay natin hehe salamat po..

elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Oct 25 2011, 12:54

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Tuesday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : Sts. Crispin & Crispinian, Martyrs († c. 287)

Saint Ambrose : The mustard seed

Letter to the Romans 8:18-25.

I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us.

For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God;
for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it, in hope

that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God.

We know that all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now;
and not only that, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, we also groan within ourselves as we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies.
For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees?
But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance.

Psalms 126(125):1-2ab.2cd-3.4-5.6.
A song of ascents. When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, then we thought we were dreaming.

Our mouths were filled with laughter; our tongues sang for joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD had done great things for them."
The LORD has done great things for us; Oh, how happy we were!
Restore again our fortunes, LORD, like the dry stream beds of the Negeb.

Those who sow in tears will reap with cries of joy.
Those who go forth weeping, carrying sacks of seed, Will return with cries of joy, carrying their bundled sheaves.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:18-21.

Then he said, "What is the kingdom of God like? To what can I compare it?
It is like a mustard seed that a person took and planted in the garden. When it was fully grown, it became a large bush and 'the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches.'"
Again he said, "To what shall I compare the kingdom of God?

It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed (in) with three measures of wheat flour until the whole batch of dough was leavened."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Saint Luke's gospel, VII, 176-180 ; SC 52

The mustard seed
Now let us see why the Kingdom of Heaven is compared to a mustard seed. Another passage that refers to a mustard seed comes to mind where it is compared to faith, when the Lord says: «If you had faith like a mustard seed you would say to this mountain: «Cast yourself into the sea» ((cf. Mt 17,20; Mk 11,23)... So if the Kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed and faith is like a mustard seed, then it goes without saying that faith is the Kingdom of heaven and the Kingdom of heaven is faith. To possess faith is to possess the Kingdom... That is why Peter, whose faith was genuine, was given the keys of the Kingdom of heaven that he might likewise open it up to others (Mt 16,19).

Next, let us appreciate what the gist of this comparison is. Without any doubt this seed is something perfectly ordinary and uncomplicated. But only cook it and it exudes its strength. In the same way, faith seems something simple at first glance, but when crushed by adversity, its strength increases... Our martyrs Felix, Nabor and Victor were like mustard seeds: although they bore the odor of faith, yet they were passed over. But when persecution came, they laid down their weapons, extended their necks and, struck by the sword, shed abroad the beauty of their martyrdom «even to the ends of the earth» (Ps 19[18],5)...

But our Lord himself is a mustard seed: so long as he had undergone no attack, the people did not recognise him. He chose to be hustled...; he chose to be pressed in such a way that Peter said: «The crowds are pressing in upon you» (Lk 8,45); he chose to be sown like a seed «that a man takes and throws on his garden», for it was in a garden that Christ was both arrested and buried. He grew up in this garden and was even raised up again in it... You, too, sow Christ in your gardens, then... Sow the Lord Jesus: he was seed when he was arrested, tree when he rose again – a tree overshadowing the world. He was seed when buried in the earth, tree when he rose up to heaven.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 26 2011, 11:15

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Wednesday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Evaristus, Pope and Martyr († 112)

Saint Prosper of Aquitaine : "People will come from the east and the west and from the north and the south"

Letter to the Romans 8:26-30.

In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.
And the one who searches hearts knows what is the intention of the Spirit, because it intercedes for the holy ones according to God's will.
We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.

For those he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, so that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
And those he predestined he also called; and those he called he also justified; and those he justified he also glorified.

Psalms 13(12):4-5.6.
Look upon me, answer me, LORD, my God! Give light to my eyes lest I sleep in death,
Lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed," lest my foes rejoice at my downfall.
I trust in your faithfulness. Grant my heart joy in your help, That I may sing of the LORD, "How good our God has been to me!"

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:22-30.
He passed through towns and villages, teaching as he went and making his way to Jerusalem.
Someone asked him, "Lord, will only a few people be saved?" He answered them,
Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough.
After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, 'Lord, open the door for us.' He will say to you in reply, 'I do not know where you are from.'

And you will say, 'We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.'
Then he will say to you, 'I do not know where (you) are from. Depart from me, all you evildoers!'
And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves cast out.
And people will come from the east and the west and from the north and the south and will recline at table in the kingdom of God.
For behold, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Prosper of Aquitaine (?-c.460), lay theologian
The summons to all people, 9

"People will come from the east and the west and from the north and the south"
Those who approach God, leaning on him with a desire to be saved, are saved indeed. For it is divine inspiration that enables them to conceive this desire for salvation and they come to knowledge of truth enlightened by him who calls them. They are indeed children of promise, the reward of faith, the spiritual descendants of Abraham, “a chosen race, a holy priesthood” (1Pt 2,9), foreknown from long ago and predestined for eternal life... Through the mediation of Isaiah, our Lord makes known his grace to us, to make new creatures of us all: “See, I am doing something new! Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? In the desert I make a way, in the wasteland, rivers... for my chosen people to drink, the people whom I formed for myself that they might announce my praise” And elsewhere:... “To me every knee shall bend, by me every tongue shall swear” (Is 43,19f.; 45,23).

There is no question but that all this will come to pass, because God's foreknowledge never fails nor do his plans alter, his will is ever active and his promises cannot be mistaken. Therefore all those to whom these words refer shall be saved. For he sets his laws in their consciences and with his finger he writes them in their hearts (Rom 2,15). They gain access to knowledge of God, not under the influence of human teaching but the guidance of the best of masters: “Therefore, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who causes the growth” (1Cor 3,7)... It is given to them all to have a changed heart and just judgement together with an upright will. God brings fear to birth in these people so that they may be instructed in his commandments... They rejoice in the power of his mercy and all the miracles he has done, for God has chosen them and made them his children, heirs of the new covenant (Jr 31,31).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Oct 27 2011, 12:09

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 27 October 2011

Thursday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Frumentius, Bishop (4th century)

Julian of Norwich : "How many times I yearned to gather your children together"

Letter to the Romans 8:31b-39.

What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
He who did not spare his own Son but handed him over for us all, how will he not also give us everything else along with him?
Who will bring a charge against God's chosen ones? It is God who acquits us.
Who will condemn? It is Christ (Jesus) who died, rather, was raised, who also is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us.
What will separate us from the love of Christ? Will anguish, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or the sword?
As it is written: "For your sake we are being slain all the day; we are looked upon as sheep to be slaughtered."
No, in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly through him who loved us.
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers,
nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalms 109(108):21-22.26-27.30-31.
But you, LORD, my God, deal kindly with me for your name's sake; in your great mercy rescue me.
For I am sorely in need; my heart is pierced within me.
Help me, LORD, my God; save me in your kindness.
Make them know this is your hand, that you, LORD, have acted.

I will give fervent thanks to the LORD; before all I will praise my God.
For God stands at the right hand of the poor to defend them against unjust accusers.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:31-35.
At that time some Pharisees came to him and said, "Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you."
He replied, "Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I accomplish my purpose.
Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day, for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem.'
Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were unwilling!
Behold, your house will be abandoned. (But) I tell you, you will not see me until (the time comes when) you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

Commentary of the day :

Julian of Norwich (1342-after 1416), recluse
Revelations of divine love, ch. 31 (trans. Clifton Wolters)

"How many times I yearned to gather your children together"
Thus shall the spiritual thirst of Christ be quenched. This is his thirst: his love and longing for us that goes on enduring until we see the Day of Judgement. For of us who are to be saved and be Christ's joy and bliss some are alive now, while others- are 'yet unborn; and so it will go on until that Day. His thirst and loving longing is to have us all, integrated in him, to his great enjoyment. At least, so I see it...

Because he is God he is 'supreme blessedness, and'never has been nor ever shall be other. His eternal blessedness can neither be increased nor diminished... Because he is human - this too is known by the creed, and by the revelations - it was shown that he, though God, suffered pain, passion, and death, for love of us and to bring us to blessedness... Since Christ is our Head, he must be both glorious and impassible. But since he is also the Body in which all his members are joined (Eph 1,23), he is not yet fully either of these. Therefore the same desire and thirst that he had upon the cross (Jn 19,28) - and this desire, longing, and thirst was with him from the very first, I fancy - he has still, and shall continue to have until the last soul to be saved has arrived at its blessedness.

For just as there is in God the quality of sympathy and pity, so too in him is there that of thirst and longing. And in virtue of this longing which is in Christ we in turn long for him too. No soul comes to heaven without it. This quality of longing and thirst springs from God's eternal goodness just as pity does...; and this thirst will per­sist in him as long as we are in need, drawing us up to his blessedness.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Fri Oct 28 2011, 09:16

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 28 October 2011

Saint Simon and Saint Jude, apostles - Feast

Saint(s) of the day : Sts. Simon and Jude, apostles - Feast

Saint Clement of Rome: The apostolic succession

Letter to the Ephesians 2:19-22.

So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God,
built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone.
Through him the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord;
in him you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Psalms 19(18):2-3.4-5.
The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder's craft.
One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge.
There is no word or sound; no voice is heard;
Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world. God has pitched there a tent for the sun;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:12-16.
Jesus departed to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God.
When day came, he called his disciples to himself, and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named apostles:
Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew,
Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called a Zealot,
and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Clement of Rome, Pope from 90 to about 100
Letter to the Corinthians, 42-44 (trans. Goodspeed, 1950)

The apostolic succession
The apostles received the gospel for us from the Lord Jesus Christ; Jesus the Christ was sent from God. So Christ is from God, and the apostles from Christ. Both came to pass regularly by the will of God. So having received their instructions, and having been reassured by the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, trusting in the word of God they set forth in the convic­tion of the holy Spirit, preaching that the kingdom of God was about to come. So as they preached from country to country and from town to town, they appointed their first converts, after testing them by the Spirit, as Pastors and Deacons of those who were to believe... And what wonder, if those who in Christ were entrusted with such a task appointed those just mentioned?...

Our apostles also knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be contention for the title of overseer. On this account, as they had received full foreknowledge, they appointed those already mentioned in order that, if they should fall asleep, other approved men should succeed to their duties.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Oct 29 2011, 12:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 29 October 2011

Saturday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Narcissus, Bishop (2nd century)

Saint Francis of Assisi : "Go and take the lowest place"

Letter to the Romans 11:1-2a.11-12.25-29.

I ask, then, has God rejected his people? Of course not! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?

Hence I ask, did they stumble so as to fall? Of course not! But through their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make them jealous. Now if their transgression is enrichment for the world, and if their diminished number is enrichment for the Gentiles, how much more their full number.

I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers, so that you will not become wise (in) your own estimation: a hardening has come upon Israel in part, until the full number of the Gentiles comes in,
and thus all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The deliverer will come out of Zion, he will turn away godlessness from Jacob; and this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins."
In respect to the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.

Psalms 94(93):12-13a.14-15.17-18.
Happy those whom you guide, LORD, whom you teach by your instruction.
You give them rest from evil days, while a pit is being dug for the wicked.
You, LORD, will not forsake your people, nor abandon your very own.
Judgment shall again be just, and all the upright of heart will follow it.

If the LORD were not my help, I would long have been silent in the grave.
When I say, "My foot is slipping," your love, LORD, holds me up.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 14:1.7-11.
On a sabbath he went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees, and the people there were observing him carefully.

He told a parable to those who had been invited, noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table.
When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not recline at table in the place of honor. A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him, and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say, 'Give your place to this man,' and then you would proceed with embarrassment to take the lowest place.

Rather, when you are invited, go and take the lowest place so that when the host comes to you he may say, 'My friend, move up to a higher position.' Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table.
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Francis of Assisi (1182-1226), Founder of the Friars Minor
The Earlier Rule, ch.17, § 9-18 (©Classics of Western spirituality)

"Go and take the lowest place"
Therefore, all of us, brothers, must beware of all pride and vainglory. And let us keep ourselves from the wisdom of this world and the prudence of the flesh. For the spirit of the flesh desires and is most eager to have words, but cares little to car­ry them out. And it does not seek a religion and holiness in the interi­or spirit, but it wishes and desires to have a religion and holiness outwardly apparent to people. And these are the ones of whom the Lord says: Truly I say to you: They have received their reward (Mt 6,2). But the Spirit of the Lord wishes the flesh to be mortified and despised, worthless and rejected. And it strives for humility and patience, and the pure and simple and true peace of the spiritual per­son. And above all things it always longs for the divine fear and the divine wisdom and the divine love of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

And let us refer all good to the most high and supreme lord God, and acknowledge that every good is His, and thank Him for everything, He from Whom all good things come. And may He, the Highest and Supreme, Who alone is true God, have and be given and receive every honor and reverence, every praise and blessing, every thanks and glory, for every good is His, He Who alone is good.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Oct 30 2011, 13:08

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Marcellus, Martyr (3rd century)

Saint Paschasius Radbertus : “If I washed your feet – I who am Teacher and Lord – then you must wash each other’s feet.” (Jn 13:14)

Book of Malachi 1:14b.2:1-2b.8-10.

Cursed is the deceiver, who has in his flock a male, but under his vow sacrifices to the LORD a gelding; For a great King am I, says the LORD of hosts, and my name will be feared among the nations.
And now, O priests, this commandment is for you: If you do not listen,
And if you do not lay it to heart, to give glory to my name, says the LORD of hosts, I will send a curse upon you and of your blessing I will make a curse. Yes, I have already cursed it, because you do not lay it to heart.
But you have turned aside from the way, and have caused many to falter by your instruction; You have made void the covenant of Levi, says the LORD of hosts.
I, therefore, have made you contemptible and base before all the people, Since you do not keep my ways, but show partiality in your decisions.
Have we not all the one Father? Has not the one God created us? Why then do we break faith with each other, violating the covenant of our fathers?

Psalms 131(130):1.2.3.
A song of ascents. Of David. LORD, my heart is not proud; nor are my eyes haughty. I do not busy myself with great matters, with things too sublime for me.
Rather, I have stilled my soul, hushed it like a weaned child. Like a weaned child on its mother's lap, so is my soul within me.
Israel, hope in the LORD, now and forever.

First Letter to the Thessalonians 2:7b-9.13.
although we were able to impose our weight as apostles of Christ. Rather, we were gentle among you, as a nursing mother cares for her children.
With such affection for you, we were determined to share with you not only the gospel of God, but our very selves as well, so dearly beloved had you become to us.
You recall, brothers, our toil and drudgery. Working night and day in order not to burden any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.
And for this reason we too give thanks to God unceasingly, that,in receiving the word of God from hearing us, you received not a human word but, as it truly is, the word of God, which is now atwork in you who believe.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 23:1-12.
Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples,
saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.
They tie up heavy burdens (hard to carry) and lay them on people's shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.'
As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.' You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called 'Master'; you have but one master, the Messiah.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Paschasius Radbertus (?-c.849), Benedictine monk
Commentary on the Gospel according to Matthew, 10:23

“If I washed your feet – I who am Teacher and Lord – then you must wash each other’s feet.” (Jn 13:14)
“Who humbles himself shall be exalted.” Christ not only told his disciples not to let themselves be called masters and not to love the places of honor at table or any other honor, but in his person, he himself gave the example and model of humility. Whereas the name of master is given him not through kindness but by his natural right, for “in him everything continues in being” (Col 1:17), by taking on flesh, he communicated a teaching to us, which leads us all to true life, and because he is greater than we, he “reconciled us with God.” (Rom 5:10) As if he were telling us: Do not love the highest honors, do not desire to be called masters, just as “I seek no glory for myself; there is one who seeks it.” (Jn 8:50) Keep your eyes fixed on me, “for the Son of Man has come, not to be served by others, but to serve, to give his own life as a ransom for the many.” (Mt 20:28)

Most certainly, in this passage of the gospel, the Lord is not only teaching his disciples, but also the heads of the Churches, commanding everyone not to allow themselves to be driven by greed in seeking honors. On the contrary, may “anyone who aspires to greatness” be the first to become like him, “serving the needs of all.” (Mt 20:26-27)

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 31 2011, 11:00

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 31 October 2011

Monday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Quintin, Martyr (3rd century)

Saint Vincent de Paul : "Invite the poor"

Letter to the Romans 11:29-36.

For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.
Just as you once disobeyed God but have now received mercy because of their disobedience,
so they have now disobeyed in order that, by virtue of the mercy shown to you, they too may (now) receive mercy.
For God delivered all to disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all.
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How inscrutable are his judgments and how unsearchable his ways!
"For who has known the mind of the Lord or who has been his counselor?"
"Or who has given him anything that he may be repaid?"
For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Psalms 69(68):30-31.33-34.36-37.
But I am afflicted and in pain; let your saving help protect me, God,
That I may praise God's name in song and glorify it with thanksgiving.
"See, you lowly ones, and be glad; you who seek God, take heart!
For the LORD hears the poor, does not spurn those in bondage.

God will rescue Zion, rebuild the cities of Judah. God's servants shall dwell in the land and possess it;
it shall be the heritage of their descendants; those who love God's name shall dwell there.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 14:12-14.
Then he said to the host who invited him, "When you hold a lunch or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors, in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
Rather, when you hold a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind;
blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Vincent de Paul (1581-1660), priest, founder of religious communities
Extract from a report concerning the state of the work, 11/07/1657

"Invite the poor"
It is honoring our Lord when we enter into his sentiments, holding then in esteem, doing what he did and carrying out what he commanded. Now his principal attraction was towards the care of the poor: to heal, console, assist and plead for them. This was what mattered to him. He himself had wanted to be born in poverty, to welcome the poor into his company, to serve the poor and put himself in the place of the poor to the point of saying that the good and the evil we do to the poor will be held by him to have been done to his own divine person (Mt 25,40). What more tender love could he have shown for the poor! And what sort of love could we be showing him, I ask you, if we don't love what he loved? So much so that loving the poor is to love him as he would wish and imitating him is to serve him rightly and honor him as we ought...

Now, if this gallant Lord of ours considers himself honored by this imitation, how much more should we consider ourselves greatly honored to become like him in this! Doesn't it seem to you that here is a most powerful motive for renewing your first fervor in yourselves? For myself, I think we should offer ourselves to His divine Majesty today... in such a way that from now on people will be able to say of you that «the love of Christ impels you» (2Cor 5,14).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Nov 01 2011, 11:30

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 01 November 2011

All Saints - Solemnity

Feast of the Church : Solemnity of All Saints

Baldwin of Ford : "I believe in the communion of saints"

Book of Revelation 7:2-4.9-14.

Then I saw another angel come up from the East, holding the seal of the living God. He cried out in a loud voice to the four angels who were given power to damage the land and the sea,
"Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees until we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God."
I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal, one hundred and forty-four thousand marked from every tribe of the Israelites:
After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands.
They cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation comes from our God, who is seated on the throne, and from the Lamb."
All the angels stood around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They prostrated themselves before the throne, worshiped God,
and exclaimed: "Amen. Blessing and glory, wisdom and thanksgiving, honor, power, and might be to our God forever and ever. Amen."
Then one of the elders spoke up and said to me, "Who are these wearing white robes, and where did they come from?"
I said to him, "My lord, you are the one who knows." He said to me, "These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Psalms 24(23):1-2.3-4ab.5-6.
A psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S and all it holds, the world and those who live there.
For God founded it on the seas, established it over the rivers.
Who may go up the mountain of the LORD? Who can stand in his holy place?
"The clean of hand and pure of heart, who are not devoted to idols, who have not sworn falsely.

They will receive blessings from the LORD, and justice from their saving God.
Such are the people that love the LORD, that seek the face of the God of Jacob." Selah

First Letter of John 3:1-3.
See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God. Yet so we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
Beloved, we are God's children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
Everyone who has this hope based on him makes himself pure, as he is pure.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:1-12a.
When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
He began to teach them, saying:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Commentary of the day :

Baldwin of Ford (?-c.1190), Cistercian abbot
Treatise on the common life; PL 204, 544s (extract from: Henri de Lubac, Catholicism)

"I believe in the communion of saints"
Dearly beloved, let us anxiously attend to all that concerns the profession of our common life, «keeping the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace,» by «the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the imparting of the Holy Spirit» (Ep 4,3; 2Co 13,13). From the love of God comes the unity of the spirit; from the grace of our Lord Jesu Christ comes the bond of peace; from the imparting of the Holy Spirit comes that communion which is necessary to those who live in common...

«I believe, 0 Lord, in the Holy Ghost, the holy Catholic Church, the Communion of Saints» (Credo). This is my hope, this is my trust, this is my confidence, this is the whole of my security in the professing of my faith... If I am allowed, O Lord, to «love thee and love my neighbor» (Mt 22,37-39), though my merits are small and few, yet will my hopes reach beyond them. I am confident that the merits of the saints will help me by the communion of charity, so that the Communion of Saints will make up for my insufficiency and imperfection... Let charity expand our hope as far as the Communion of Saints in the sharing of merits and rewards; but the sharing of the latter belongs to the future, for it is the sharing in the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Since, then, there are three communions - the first of nature, which includes the sharing of guilt...; the second of grace; and the third of glory. By the communion of grace that of nature begins to be remade and the sharing of guilt to be excluded: but by the communion of glory that of nature will be perfectly restored and the communion of anger will be entirely excluded, when «God will wipe away every tear from the eyes» of the saints (Is 25,8; Ap 21,4). Then among all the saints there will be «one heart and one soul» and «all things will be in common», when God will be «all in all» (Ac 4,32; 1Co 15,28). That we may all arrive at this communion and that we all may be one, "the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God, and the imparting of the Holy Spirit be with us all for ever. Amen."

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 02 2011, 11:25

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 02 November 2011

The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)

Saint(s) of the day : The Commemoration of all of the Faithful Departed

Saint Cyprian : Our true home

Book of Wisdom 3:1-9.

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them.
They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction
and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace.
For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality;
Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself.
As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.
In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble;
They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever.
Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love: Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with the elect.

Psalms 27(26):1.4.7.8.9.13-14.
Of David The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? The LORD is my life's refuge; of whom am I afraid?
One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, To gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.
I Hear my voice, LORD, when I call; have mercy on me and answer me.
"Come," says my heart, "seek God's face"; your face, LORD, do I seek!

Do not hide your face from me; do not repel your servant in anger. You are my help; do not cast me off; do not forsake me, God my savior!
But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!

Letter to the Romans 6:3-9.
Brothers and sisters: Are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.
For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection.
We know that our old self was crucified with him, so that our sinful body might be done away with, that we might no longer be in slavery to sin.
For a dead person has been absolved from sin.
If, then, we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.
We know that Christ, raised from the dead, dies no more; death no longer has power over him.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:31-46.
Jesus said to his disciples: «When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne,
and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,
naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'
Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'
And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.'
Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?'
He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.'
And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Cyprian (c.200-258), Bishop of Carthage and martyr
On mortality, ch. 26 ; PL 4, 583f. (©The Fathers of the Church)

Our true home
We should consider, beloved brethren, and we should re­flect constantly that we have renounced the world and as strangers and foreigners we sojourn here for a time (Heb 11,13). Let us embrace the day which assigns each of us to his dwelling, which on our being rescued from here and released from the snares of the world, restores us to paradise and the kingdom. What man, after having been abroad, would not hasten to return to his native land? Who, when hurrying to sail to his family, would not more eagerly long for a favorable wind that he might more quickly embrace his dear ones? We account paradise our country, we have already begun to look upon the patriarchs as our parents.

Why do we not hasten and run, so that we can see our country, so that we can greet our parents? A great number of our dear ones there await us, parents, brothers, children; a dense and copious throng longs for us, already secure in their safety but still anxious for our salvation... There are to be found the glorious choir of apostles, there the throng of exultant prophets, there the innumerable multitude of martyrs wearing crowns on account of the glory and victory of their struggle and passion, there the triumphant virgins..., the merciful enjoying their reward who have performed works of justice by giving food and alms to the poor, who in observing the precepts of the Lord have transferred their earthly patrimony to the treasuries of heaven!

To these, beloved brethren, let us hasten with eager longing! let us pray that it may befall us speedily to be with them, speedily to come to Christ. May God see this our purpose... who will give more ample rewards of His charity to those whose longings for Him have been greater.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Nov 03 2011, 11:01

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 03 November 2011

Thursday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Martin de Porres, Religious (1579-1639), St. Hubert, Bishop (657-727)

Saint John-Mary Vianney : "There will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents"

Letter to the Romans 14:7-12.

None of us lives for oneself, and no one dies for oneself.
For if we live, we live for the Lord, and if we die, we die for the Lord; so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
For this is why Christ died and came to life, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Why then do you judge your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God;
for it is written: "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bend before me, and every tongue shall give praise to God."
So (then) each of us shall give an account of himself (to God).

Psalms 27(26):1.4.13-14.
Of David The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? The LORD is my life's refuge; of whom am I afraid?
One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, To gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.
But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 15:1-10.
Tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus,
but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them."
So to them he addressed this parable.
What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it?
And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.'
I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.
Or what woman having ten coins and losing one would not light a lamp and sweep the house, searching carefully until she finds it?
And when she does find it, she calls together her friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.'
In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Commentary of the day :

Saint John-Mary Vianney (1786-1859), priest, curé of Ars
A sermon for the 3rd Sunday after Pentecost, the 1st on mercy

"There will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents"
The way Jesus Christ acted during his mortal life shows us how great was his mercy towards sinners. We see how they all come to share his company and how he, far from turning them away or at least keeping his distance from them, to the contrary takes every possible means to draw them to his Father. He goes searching for them through compunction, gathers them together by his grace and wins them by his loving behavior. He deals with them with such kindness that he even stands up for them against the scribes and Pharisees, who wish to accuse them and seem not to want to endure them in Jesus Christ's company.

He goes even further than this: he wants to justify the behavior he adopts towards them with a parable that shows them in an insurpassable way the greatness of his love for sinners, saying to them: «A good shepherd with a hundred sheep, having lost one of them, left all the rest to pursue the one that had strayed, and having found it he placed it on his shoulders to spare it the difficulty of the road. Then, when he had restored it to its fold, he invited all his friends to rejoice with him at having found the sheep he had thought to be lost.» He also adds that parable of the woman who, having ten drachmas and losing one of them, lights her lamp to look for it in every corner of the house, and when she has found it invites all her friends to rejoice with her. «This is how,» he says, «all heaven rejoices at the return of a sinner who is converted and repents. I have not come to call the righteous to repentance, but sinners. Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do» (Lk 5,31-32).

We see how Jesus Christ applies to himself these vivid images of the greatness of his mercy towards sinners. Oh what happiness for us to know that God's mercy is infinite! What impetuous desires we must feel arising within us to go and throw ourselves at the feet of a God who will welcome us with such great joy!

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Nov 05 2011, 10:57

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 05 November 2011

Saturday of the Thirty-first week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Bertilla, Abbess (7th century)

Saint Gregory Nazianzen : "If you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth, who will trust you with true wealth?"

Letter to the Romans 16:3-9.16.22-27.

Greet Prisca and Aquila, my co-workers in Christ Jesus,
who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I am grateful but also all the churches of the Gentiles;
greet also the church at their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the firstfruits in Asia for Christ.
Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you.
Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives and my fellow prisoners; they are prominent among the apostles and they were in Christ before me.
Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord.
Greet Urbanus, our co-worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys.
Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.
I, Tertius, the writer of this letter, greet you in the Lord.
Gaius, who is host to me and to the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the city treasurer, and our brother Quartus greet you.
) (
Now to him who can strengthen you, according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret for long ages
but now manifested through the prophetic writings and, according to the command of the eternal God, made known to all nations to bring about the obedience of faith,
to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ be glory forever and ever. Amen.)

Psalms 145(144):2-3.4-5.10-11.
Every day I will bless you; I will praise your name forever.
Great is the LORD and worthy of high praise; God's grandeur is beyond understanding.
One generation praises your deeds to the next and proclaims your mighty works.
They speak of the splendor of your majestic glory, tell of your wonderful deeds.

All your works give you thanks, O LORD and your faithful bless you.
They speak of the glory of your reign and tell of your great works,

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 16:9-15.
I tell you, make friends for yourselves with dishonest wealth, so that when it fails, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.
The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones.
If, therefore, you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth, who will trust you with true wealth?
If you are not trustworthy with what belongs to another, who will give you what is yours?
No servant can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."
The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all these things and sneered at him.
And he said to them, "You justify yourselves in the sight of others, but God knows your hearts; for what is of human esteem is an abomination in the sight of God.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory Nazianzen (330-390), Bishop and Doctor of the Church
Homily 14, On love for the poor, 24-25 ; PL 35, 887 (trans. Breviary for the 1st Monday in Lent, rev.)

"If you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth, who will trust you with true wealth?"
Brethren and friends, let us by no means be wicked stewards of God's gift to us. If we are, we will have to listen to Saint Peter saying: "Be ashamed, you who hold back what belongs to another, take as an example the justice of God, and no one will be poor." While others suffer poverty, let us not labour to hoard and pile up money, for if we do, holy Amos will threaten us sharply in these words: "Hear this, you who say, When will the new moon be over, that we may sell; and the sabbath, that we may open up our treasures?" (8,5)...

Let us imitate the first and most important law of God who sends his rain on the just and on sinners and makes the sun. shine on all men equally (Mt 5,45). God opens up the earth, the springs, the streams and the woods to all who live in the world. He gives the air to the birds, the water to the fish and the basic needs of life abundantly to all, without restriction or limitation or preference. These basic goods are common to all, provided by God generously and with nothmg lacking. He has done this so that creatures of the same nature may receive equal gifts and that he may show us how rich is his kindness.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Nov 07 2011, 04:05

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 06 November 2011

Thirty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Leonard († c. 550)

Saint Gertrude of Helfta : "Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!"

Book of Wisdom 6:12-16.
Resplendent and unfading is Wisdom, and she is readily perceived by those who love her, and found by those who seek her.
She hastens to make herself known in anticipation of men's desire;
he who watches for her at dawn shall not be disappointed, for he shall find her sitting by his gate.
For taking thought of her is the perfection of prudence, and he who for her sake keeps vigil shall quickly be free from care;
Because she makes her own rounds, seeking those worthy of her, and graciously appears to them in the ways, and meets them with all solicitude.

Psalms 63(62):2.3-4.5-6.7-8.
O God, you are my God-- for you I long! For you my body yearns; for you my soul thirsts, Like a land parched, lifeless, and without water.
So I look to you in the sanctuary to see your power and glory.
For your love is better than life; my lips offer you worship!
I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands, calling on your name.

My soul shall savor the rich banquet of praise, with joyous lips my mouth shall honor you!
When I think of you upon my bed, through the night watches I will recall
That you indeed are my help, and in the shadow of your wings I shout for joy.

First Letter to the Thessalonians 4:13-18.
We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, about those who have fallen asleep, so that you may not grieve like the rest, who have no hope.
For if we believe that Jesus died and rose, so too will God, through Jesus, bring with him those who have fallen asleep.
Indeed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep.
For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord.
Therefore, console one another with these words.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:1-13.
Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Five of them were foolish and five were wise.
The foolish ones, when taking their lamps, brought no oil with them,
but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps.
Since the bridegroom was long delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
At midnight, there was a cry, 'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'
Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps.
The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
But the wise ones replied, 'No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.'
While they went off to buy it, the bridegroom came and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him. Then the door was locked.
Afterwards the other virgins came and said, 'Lord, Lord, open the door for us!'
But he said in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.'
Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gertrude of Helfta (1256-1301), Benedictine nun
Exercises, no 5 ; SC 127 (©Cistercian publications, 1989)

"Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!"
O my very gentle evening, when the evening of this life has arrived for me, make me dulcetly lose consciousness in you and experience that most blessed rest which has been prepared in you for your dear ones. Let the exceedingly calm and agreeable regard of
your beautiful cherishing-love deign to order and arrange my magnificent nuptials. With the riches of your goodness cover... the poverty and impoverishment of my degenerate life. Let my soul dwell in the delights of your charity with exceeding trust.

O love, may you then be for me such an evening that my soul may with gladness and exultation bid a sweet farewell to my body; and may my spirit, returning to the Lord who gave it, already pleasantly at rest in peace beneath your shadow. Then, with your own voice... you will say to me manifestly: «Behold, the bridegroom is coming; now go out to join yourself more closely to him that he may gladden you by the glory of his countenance»...

When, oh when will you show yourself to me so that I may see and with merriment draw from you, God, the living fountain (Is 12,3)? Then I will drink and will become inebriated with the sweet plentifulness of the living fountain, which distills the delights of the melllifluous face of him whom my soul desires (Ps 42[41],3). O sweet face, when will you satisfy me with yourself? Then I will go into the place of the wonderful tabernacle even to the very aspect of God (Ps 42[41],5); at its threshold my heart is made to groan because I am delayed by my sojourn here. Oh, when will you fill me with g1adness by your mellifluous face (Ps 16[15],11)? Then I will contemplate and warmly kiss the true spouse of my soul, my Jesus.... there where I may recognize you just as I am recognized (1Cor 13,12) and love you just as I am loved so that forever I may see you, my God, as you really are (1Jn 3,2) in your blessed vision, fruition, and possession.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Nov 08 2011, 02:04

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 07 November 2011

Monday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Willibrord, Bishop (657-739)

John Tauler : "You should forgive him"

Book of Wisdom 1:1-7.

Love justice, you who judge the earth; think of the LORD in goodness, and seek him in integrity of heart;
Because he is found by those who test him not, and he manifests himself to those who do not disbelieve him.
For perverse counsels separate a man from God, and his power, put to the proof, rebukes the foolhardy;
Because into a soul that plots evil wisdom enters not, nor dwells she in a body under debt of sin.
For the holy spirit of discipline flees deceit and withdraws from senseless counsels; and when injustice occurs it is rebuked.
For wisdom is a kindly spirit, yet she acquits not the blasphemer of his guilty lips; Because God is the witness of his inmost self and the sure observer of his heart and the listener to his tongue.
For the spirit of the LORD fills the world, is all-embracing, and knows what man says.

Psalms 139(138):1-3.4-6.7-8.9-10.
For the leader. A psalm of David. I LORD, you have probed me, you know me:
you know when I sit and stand; you understand my thoughts from afar.
My travels and my rest you mark; with all my ways you are familiar.
Even before a word is on my tongue, LORD, you know it all.

Behind and before you encircle me and rest your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is beyond me, far too lofty for me to reach.
Where can I hide from your spirit? From your presence, where can I flee?
If I ascend to the heavens, you are there; if I lie down in Sheol, you are there too.

If I fly with the wings of dawn and alight beyond the sea,
Even there your hand will guide me, your right hand hold me fast.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:1-6.
He said to his disciples, "Things that cause sin will inevitably occur, but woe to the person through whom they occur.
It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck and he be thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.
Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
And if he wrongs you seven times in one day and returns to you seven times saying, 'I am sorry,' you should forgive him."
And the apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith."
The Lord replied, "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you would say to (this) mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

Commentary of the day :

John Tauler (c.1300-1361), Dominican
Sermon 71, for All Saints

"You should forgive him"
«Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy» (Mt 5,7). It is said, concerning mercy, that it surpasses all God's other works. Hence a merciful person is someone truly divine since mercy is born of charity and goodness. For this reason God's true friends are very merciful and more welcoming towards sinners and those who suffer than others who do not have this charity. And as mercy is born of the charity we ought to show each other..., if we don't practise it our Lord will demand an account of it on judgement day...

This kind of mercy doesn't just consist in gifts but is also shown towards all those sufferings that can fall upon your neighbor. Anyone who sees them without manifesting real charity towards the neighbor and a genuine sympathy in all their sufferings and who does not mercifully turn a blind eye to their faults: such a person has reason to fear lest God refuses mercy to him, for «the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you» (Mt 7,2).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Nov 08 2011, 11:15

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 08 November 2011

Tuesday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Godfrey, Bishop (1066-1115), Blessed John Duns Scotus, O.F.M. (c.1266-1308)

Saint Augustine : Being a servant

Book of Wisdom 2:23-24.3:1-9.

For God formed man to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made him.
But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world, and they who are in his possession experience it.
But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them.
They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction
and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace.
For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality;
Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself.
As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.
In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble;
They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever.
Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love: Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with the elect.

Psalms 34(33):2-3.16-17.18-19.
I will bless the LORD at all times; praise shall be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the LORD that the poor may hear and be glad.
The LORD has eyes for the just and ears for their cry.
The LORD'S face is against evildoers to wipe out their memory from the earth.

When the just cry out, the LORD hears and rescues them from all distress.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted, saves those whose spirit is crushed.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:7-10.
Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, 'Come here immediately and take your place at table'?
Would he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat. Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished'?
Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'"

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Sermon for the ordination of a bishop, 3, 9 ; Guelferbytanus no. 32, PLS 2, 637

Being a servant
The bishop at your head is your servant... Therefore may the Lord grant us, with the help of your prayers, to be and to remain all you would want us to be until the end...; may he help us to fulfill what he has commanded. But whoever we may be, do not place your trust in us. I permit myself to say this to you as bishop: what I want is to rejoice in you, not to be inflated with pride... I am speaking now to the People of God in the name of Christ; I am speaking in God's Church; I am speaking as God's poor servant: do not put your trust in us; do not put your trust in men. Are we good? We are servants. Are we evil? We remain servants. But the good, the faithful servants are the true servants.

What is our service? Give your attention to this: if you are hungry and do not wish to be ungrateful, take note of the cellar from which we draw our provisions; but as for the plate in which what you are so eager to eat is served – that is of no consequence to you. «In a large household there are vessels not only of gold and silver but also of clay» (cf. 2Tm 2,20). [Is your bishop like] a silver plate, a gold plate, a clay plate? You, just look and see if that plate holds any bread and who that bread comes from and who gives it out to be served to you. Note of whom I am speaking, who it is who gives the bread served out to you. It is he who is the bread: «I am the living bread come down from heaven» (Jn 6,51). It is Christ we are serving you, then, in the place of Christ..., that he might reach even to you, that he may be the judge of our ministry.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 09 2011, 11:34

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 09 November 2011

The Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome - Feast

Feast of the Church : Dedication of St. John Lateran (Feast)

Lanspergius the Carthusian : «You are the temple of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you» (1Co 3,16)

Book of Ezekiel 47:1-2.8-9.12.

The angel brought me, Ezekiel, back to the entrance of the temple of the LORD, and I saw water flowing out from beneath the threshold of the temple toward the east, for the façade of the temple was toward the east; the water flowed down from the right side of the temple, south of the altar.
He led me outside by the north gate, and around to the outer gate facing the east, where I saw water trickling from the southern side.
He said to me, "This water flows into the eastern district down upon the Arabah, and empties into the sea, the salt waters, which it makes fresh.
Wherever the river flows, every sort of living creature that can multiply shall live, and there shall be abundant fish, for wherever this water comes the sea shall be made fresh.
Along both banks of the river, fruit trees of every kind shall grow; their leaves shall not fade, nor their fruit fail. Every month they shall bear fresh fruit, for they shall be watered by the flow from the sanctuary. Their fruit shall serve for food, and their leaves for medicine."

Psalms 46(45):2-3.5-6.8-9.
God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in distress.
Thus we do not fear, though earth be shaken and mountains quake to the depths of the sea,
Streams of the river gladden the city of God, the holy dwelling of the Most High.
God is in its midst; it shall not be shaken; God will help it at break of day.

The LORD of hosts is with us; our stronghold is the God of Jacob. Selah
Come and see the works of the LORD, who has done fearsome deeds on earth;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 2:13-22.
Since the Passover of the Jews was near, Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
He found in the temple area those who sold oxen, sheep, and doves, as well as the money-changers seated there.
He made a whip out of cords and drove them all out of the temple area, with the sheep and oxen, and spilled the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables,
and to those who sold doves he said, "Take these out of here, and stop making my Father's house a marketplace."
His disciples recalled the words of scripture, "Zeal for your house will consume me."
At this the Jews answered and said to him, "What sign can you show us for doing this?"
Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up."
The Jews said, "This temple has been under construction for forty-six years, and you will raise it up in three days?"
But he was speaking about the temple of his body.
Therefore, when he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they came to believe the scripture and the word Jesus had spoken.

Commentary of the day :

Lanspergius the Carthusian (1489-1539), monk, theologian
Sermon on the dedication of a church; Opera omnia, 1, 702f.

«You are the temple of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you» (1Co 3,16)
The dedication we are celebrating today concerns, in reality, three houses. The first is the material sanctuary... Certainly, we are to pray everywhere and there is nowhere where one cannot pray. Nevertheless it is very fitting to have consecrated a particular place to God where all of us, we christians who make up this community, can meet, praise and pray to God together and thus more readily obtain what we ask for as a result of this common prayer, as it is written: «If two or three of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father» (Mt 18,19)...

The second house of God is the people, the holy community who find their unity in this church, that is to say you who are guided, taught and fed by the one shepherd or bishop. It is God's spiritual dwelling of which our church, this material house of God, is the sign. Christ built this spiritual temple for himself... It is a dwelling formed of God's elect, past, present and to come, gathered through their unity of faith and love in this one church, daughter of the universal Church and, in addition, one thing with the universal Church. When it is considered separately from the other, particular churches, then it is only one unit of the Church, as are all the other churches. Yet, taken altogether, these churches make up the one, universal Church, mother of all the churches... When we celebrate the dedication of our church, we are doing nothing else than reminding ourselves, in the midst of our thanksgiving, hymns and praise, in the goodness God has shown in calling this small group of people to know him...

The third house of God is each holy soul dedicated to God, consecrated to him by baptism, who has become the temple of the Holy Spirit and the God's dwelling place... When you celebrate the dedication of this third house, you are simply recalling the favor you received from God when he chose you so that he might come to live in you by his grace.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next