Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Nov 10 2011, 12:48

DAILY GOSPEL

«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Thursday, 10 November 2011

Thursday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church († 461) - Memorial, St. Andrew Avellino, Priest (1561-1608)

Imitation of Christ: Dwelling in the Kingdom of God

Book of Wisdom 7:22-30.8:1.

for Wisdom, the artificer of all, taught me. For in her is a spirit intelligent, holy, unique, Manifold, subtle, agile, clear, unstained, certain, Not baneful, loving the good, keen, unhampered, beneficent,
kindly, Firm, secure, tranquil, all-powerful, all-seeing, And pervading all spirits, though they be intelligent, pure and very subtle.
For Wisdom is mobile beyond all motion, and she penetrates and pervades all things by reason of her purity.
For she is an aura of the might of God and a pure effusion of the glory of the Almighty; therefore nought that is sullied enters into her.
For she is the refulgence of eternal light, the spotless mirror of the power of God, the image of his goodness.
And she, who is one, can do all things, and renews everything while herself perduring; And passing into holy souls from age to age, she produces friends of God and prophets.
For there is nought God loves, be it not one who dwells with Wisdom.
For she is fairer than the sun and surpasses every constellation of the stars. Compared to light, she takes precedence;
for that, indeed, night supplants, but wickedness prevails not over Wisdom.
Indeed, she reaches from end to end mightily and governs all things well.

Psalms 119(118):89.90.91.130.135.175.
Your word, LORD, stands forever; it is firm as the heavens.
Through all generations your truth endures; fixed to stand firm like the earth.
By your edicts they stand firm to this day, for all things are your servants.
The revelation of your words sheds light, gives understanding to the simple.

Let your face shine upon your servant; teach me your laws.
Let me live to praise you; may your edicts give me help.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 17:20-25.
Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he said in reply, "The coming of the kingdom of God cannot be observed,
and no one will announce, 'Look, here it is,' or, 'There it is.' For behold, the kingdom of God is among you."
Then he said to his disciples, "The days will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.
There will be those who will say to you, 'Look, there he is,' (or) 'Look, here he is.' Do not go off, do not run in pursuit.
For just as lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be (in his day).
But first he must suffer greatly and be rejected by this generation.

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Imitation of Christ, spiritual treatise of the 15th century
Book II, ch.1, 2-3 (trans. ©Robert Dudley)

Dwelling in the Kingdom of God
“The Kingdom of God is within you,” says the Lord… Up, faithful soul, prepare your heart for this bridegroom; that he may deign to come and dwell within you. For so he proclaimed: “Whoever loves me will keep my word; and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him,” (Jn 14,23). Make room for Christ, and then bar the door against all comers. When you have Christ, you have all the riches you need. He will be your purveyor and your faithful manager in all things; you will have no need to hope in men. For men are quick to change and speedily die; but Christ “remains forever” (Jn 12,34), standing firm to the very end.

Not much reliance should be placed upon man, be he never so beloved or so useful; for he goes to pieces and he dies. And not much sadness should be felt if he sometimes turns against you: with you to-day, against you to-morrow; and fickle as the breeze to return to you again. Put all your trust in God; let him be your fear and him your love. He will answer for you, and do that good thing that is best for you.

“Here we have no lasting city” (Heb 13,14); wherever you are, you are “a stranger and an alien” (Heb 11,13); you will never at any time have peace until you are intimately one with Christ.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Nov 12 2011, 16:50

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 12 November 2011
Saturday of the Thirty-second week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Josaphat, Bishop and Martyr (c.1580-1623) - Memorial

Isaac the Syrian : "Pray always without becoming weary"

Book of Wisdom 18:14-16.19:6-9.

For when peaceful stillness compassed everything and the night in its swift course was half spent,
Your all-powerful word from heaven's royal throne bounded, a fierce warrior, into the doomed land,
bearing the sharp sword of your inexorable decree. And as he alighted, he filled every place with death; he still reached to heaven, while he stood upon the earth.
For all creation, in its several kinds, was being made over anew, serving its natural laws, that your children might be preserved unharmed.
The cloud overshadowed their camp; and out of what had before been water, dry land was seen emerging: Out of the Red Sea an unimpeded road, and a grassy plain out of the mighty flood.
Over this crossed the whole nation sheltered by your hand, after they beheld stupendous wonders.
For they ranged about like horses, and bounded about like lambs, praising you, O LORD! their deliverer.

Psalms 105(104):2-3.36-37.42-43.

Sing praise, play music; proclaim all his wondrous deeds!
Glory in his holy name; rejoice, O hearts that seek the LORD!
He struck down every firstborn in the land, the first fruits of all their vigor.
He brought his people out, laden with silver and gold; no stragglers among the tribes.

For he remembered his sacred word to Abraham his servant.
He brought his people out with joy, his chosen ones with shouts of triumph.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 18:1-8.

Then he told them a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary. He said,
There was a judge in a certain town who neither feared God nor respected any human being.
And a widow in that town used to come to him and say, 'Render a just decision for me against my adversary.'
For a long time the judge was unwilling, but eventually he thought, 'While it is true that I neither fear God nor respect any human being,
because this widow keeps bothering me I shall deliver a just decision for her lest she finally come and strike me.'"
The Lord said, "Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says.
Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them?
I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily. But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"

Commentary of the day :

Isaac the Syrian (7th century), monk near Mosul, saint of the Orthodox churches
Ascetical discourses, 1st series, §21

"Pray always without becoming weary"

Blessed is the man who understands his own weakness, for such knowledge is the foundation, root and principal of all his good... When people know themselves to be deprived of divine succor then they pray all the more. And the more they pray, the more humble their heart becomes... When they understand this, they hold on to prayer like a treasure within their soul. And the greater their joy, the more their prayer is turned to thanksgiving... Carried away like this by such knowledge and wondering at God's grace, they cry out, praising and glorifying God, telling him of their gratitude and declaring their amazement to the full.

Those who, in truth and not just in imagination, have come to bear such signs as these and to know such an experience, know what I am talking about and that nothing can go against them. However, let them cease from henceforth to desire empty things; let them persevere in God in continuous prayer and in the fear of being deprived of the fullness of divine help.

All these good things are granted them as soon as they are aware of their own weakness. By their great desire for God's help they draw close to God, remaining in prayer. And the closer they draw to God by their determination, the closer God draws to them with his gifts, nor withdraws his grace on account of their great humility. For such as these are like the widow who cried out unceasingly to the judge for justice against her adversary. Our compassionate God withholds his graces so that this holding back may prompt them to draw near and remain close to him from whom flows all their good, so great is their need of him.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 13 2011, 10:46

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 13 November 2011

Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, Virgin and Foundress (1850-1917) - Memorial, St. Agostina Livia Pietrantoni, Virgin (1864-1894)

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta : "You were faithful in small matters... Come, share your master's joy"

Book of Proverbs 31:10-13.19-20.30-31.

When one finds a worthy wife, her value is far beyond pearls.
Her husband, entrusting his heart to her, has an unfailing prize.
She brings him good, and not evil, all the days of her life.
She obtains wool and flax and makes cloth with skillful hands.
She puts her hands to the distaff, and her fingers ply the spindle.
She reaches out her hands to the poor, and extends her arms to the needy.
Charm is deceptive and beauty fleeting; the woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her a reward of her labors, and let her works praise her at the city gates.

Psalms 128(127):1-2.3.4-5.
A song of ascents. Happy are all who fear the LORD, who walk in the ways of God.
What your hands provide you will enjoy; you will be happy and prosper:
Like a fruitful vine your wife within your home, Like olive plants your children around your table.
Just so will they be blessed who fear the LORD.

May the LORD bless you from Zion, all the days of your life That you may share Jerusalem's joy

First Letter to the Thessalonians 5:1-6.
Concerning times and seasons, brothers, you have no need for anything to be written to you.
For you yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief at night.
When people are saying, "Peace and security," then sudden disaster comes upon them, like labor pains upon a pregnant woman,and they will not escape.
But you, brothers, are not in darkness, for that day to overtake you like a thief.
For all of you are children of the light and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness.
Therefore, let us not sleep as the rest do, but let us stay alert and sober.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:14-30.
It will be as when a man who was going on a journey called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them.
To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one--to each according to his ability. Then he went away. Immediately
the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five.
Likewise, the one who received two made another two.
But the man who received one went off and dug a hole in the ground and buried his master's money.
After a long time the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them.
The one who had received five talents came forward bringing the additional five. He said, 'Master, you gave me five talents. See, I have made five more.'
His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master's joy.'
(Then) the one who had received two talents also came forward and said, 'Master, you gave me two talents. See, I have made two more.'
His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master's joy.'
Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said, 'Master, I knew you were a demanding person, harvesting where you did not plant and gathering where you did not scatter;
so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground. Here it is back.'
His master said to him in reply, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant and gather where I did not scatter?
Should you not then have put my money in the bank so that I could have got it back with interest on my return?
Now then! Take the talent from him and give it to the one with ten.
For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
And throw this useless servant into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.'

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997), founder of the Missionary Sisters of Charity
Prayer : Seeking the Heart of God, with Bro. Roger

"You were faithful in small matters... Come, share your master's joy"
«I have kept the Lord always before me; since he is at my right hand, I shall not slip» (Ps 16[15],8). For if there is one thing that Jesus asks of me, it is to lean on him, entrust myself to him alone, abandon myself to him without reserve... We should not try to control God's actions. We must not count the stages in the journey he asks us to undertake. Even if I feel like a boat adrift, yet I must give myself wholly to him.

If this seems difficult, remember that we are not called upon to succeed but to be faithful. Fidelity, even in small things, is important – not for the sake of the thing itself, which would be the concern of a small-minded soul, but for the sake of the great thing which is the will of God. Saint Augustine said: «Small things remain small, but to be faithful in small things is a great thing. Isn't our Lord just the same in a poor guest as in a great one?» (cf. Mt 25,40).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Nov 14 2011, 10:42

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 14 November 2011

Monday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Lawrence O'Toole, Archbishop of Dublin (c. 1125-1180)

Saint Gregory the Great : "Have sight; your faith has saved you"

2nd book of Maccabees 1:10-15.41-43.54-57.62-63.

There sprang from these a sinful offshoot, Antiochus Epiphanes, son of King Antiochus, once a hostage at Rome. He became king in the year one hundred and thirty-seven of the kingdom of the Greeks.
In those days there appeared in Israel men who were breakers of the law, and they seduced many people, saying: "Let us go and make an alliance with the Gentiles all around us; since we separated from them, many evils have come upon us."
The proposal was agreeable;
some from among the people promptly went to the king, and he authorized them to introduce the way of living of the Gentiles.
Thereupon they built a gymnasium in Jerusalem according to the Gentile custom.
They covered over the mark of their circumcision and abandoned the holy covenant; they allied themselves with the Gentiles and sold themselves to wrongdoing.
Then the king wrote to his whole kingdom that all should be one people,
each abandoning his particular customs. All the Gentiles conformed to the command of the king,
and many Israelites were in favor of his religion; they sacrificed to idols and profaned the sabbath.
On the fifteenth day of the month Chislev, in the year one hundred and forty-five, the king erected the horrible abomination upon the altar of holocausts, and in the surrounding cities of Judah they built pagan altars.
They also burnt incense at the doors of houses and in the streets.
Any scrolls of the law which they found they tore up and burnt.
Whoever was found with a scroll of the covenant, and whoever observed the law, was condemned to death by royal decree.
But many in Israel were determined and resolved in their hearts not to eat anything unclean;
they preferred to die rather than to be defiled with unclean food or to profane the holy covenant; and they did die. Terrible affliction was upon Israel.ä»…

Psalms 119(118):53.61.134.150.155.158.
Rage seizes me because of the wicked; they forsake your teaching.
Though the snares of the wicked surround me, your teaching I do not forget.
Free me from human oppression, that I may keep your precepts.
Malicious persecutors draw near me; they are far from your teaching.

Salvation is far from sinners because they do not cherish your laws.
I view the faithless with loathing, because they do not heed your promise.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 18:35-43.
Now as he approached Jericho a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging,
and hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what was happening.
They told him, "Jesus of Nazareth is passing by."
He shouted, "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!"
The people walking in front rebuked him, telling him to be silent, but he kept calling out all the more, "Son of David, have pity on me!"
Then Jesus stopped and ordered that he be brought to him; and when he came near, Jesus asked him,
What do you want me to do for you? He replied, "Lord, please let me see."
Jesus told him, "Have sight; your faith has saved you."
He immediately received his sight and followed him, giving glory to God. When they saw this, all the people gave praise to God.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory the Great (c.540-604), Pope, Doctor of the Church
Homilies on the Gospel, no 2 (Migne) ; PL 76, 1081 (©Cistercian Fathers series)

"Have sight; your faith has saved you"
We must now look at what he said to the blind man as he came near: «What do you want me to do for you?» Was one who could restore light ignorant of what the blind man wanted? But he wants to be asked for what he already knows; we shall request and he will grant. He counsels us to be untiring in our prayers, and yet he says: For «Your Father knows what you need before you request it of him» (Mt 6,8). And so he questions that we may ask him, he questions to rouse our hearts to prayer...

The blind man does not ask the Lord for gold, but for light. He sets little store by asking anything but light... Let us imitate him, dearly beloved... Let us not ask the Lord for deceptive riches, or earthly gifts, or passing honors, but for light. And let us not ask for light shut up in one place, or limited by time, or ending with the coming of night. The beasts behold such light just as we do. Let us ask for the light which we can see with an­gels alone, light without beginning or end. The way to this light is faith. Hence Jesus immediately says to the blind man who is to be enlightened: «Look up, your faith has saved you.»

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Nov 15 2011, 10:47

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Tuesday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Albert the Great, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (c. 1200-1280), St. Raphael Kalinowski, O.C.D. († 1907)

Saint Thomas More : "Today salvation has come to this house"

2nd book of Maccabees 6:18-31.

Eleazar, one of the foremost scribes, a man of advanced age and noble appearance, was being forced to open his mouth to eat pork.
But preferring a glorious death to a life of defilement, he spat out the meat, and went forward of his own accord to the instrument of torture,
as men ought to do who have the courage to reject the food which it is unlawful to taste even for love of life.
Those in charge of that unlawful ritual meal took the man aside privately, because of their long acquaintance with him, and urged him to bring meat of his own providing, such as he could legitimately eat, and to pretend to be eating some of the meat of the sacrifice prescribed by the king;
in this way he would escape the death penalty, and be treated kindly because of their old friendship with him.
But he made up his mind in a noble manner, worthy of his years, the dignity of his advanced age, the merited distinction of his gray hair, and of the admirable life he had lived from childhood; and so he declared that above all he would be loyal to the holy laws given by God. He told them to send him at once to the abode of the dead, explaining:
"At our age it would be unbecoming to make such a pretense; many young men would think the ninety-year-old Eleazar had gone over to an alien religion.
Should I thus dissimulate for the sake of a brief moment of life, they would be led astray by me, while I would bring shame and dishonor on my old age.
Even if, for the time being, I avoid the punishment of men, I shall never, whether alive or dead, escape the hands of the Almighty.
Therefore, by manfully giving up my life now, I will prove myself worthy of my old age,
and I will leave to the young a noble example of how to die willingly and generously for the revered and holy laws." He spoke thus, and went immediately to the instrument of torture.
Those who shortly before had been kindly disposed, now became hostile toward him because what he had said seemed to them utter madness.
When he was about to die under the blows, he groaned and said: "The Lord in his holy knowledge knows full well that, although I could have escaped death, I am not only enduring terrible pain in my body from this scourging, but also suffering it with joy in my soul because of my devotion to him."
This is how he died, leaving in his death a model of courage and an unforgettable example of virtue not only for the young but for the whole nation.

Psalms 3:2-3.4-5.6-7.
How many are my foes, LORD! How many rise against me!
How many say of me, "God will not save that one." Selah
But you, LORD, are a shield around me; my glory, you keep my head high.
Whenever I cried out to the LORD, I was answered from the holy mountain. Selah

Whenever I lay down and slept, the LORD preserved me to rise again.
I do not fear, then, thousands of people arrayed against me on every side.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:1-10.
He came to Jericho and intended to pass through the town.
Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man,
was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature.
So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way.
When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house."
And he came down quickly and received him with joy.
When they all saw this, they began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to stay at the house of a sinner."
But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over."
And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house because this man too is a descendant of Abraham.
For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thomas More (1478-1535), English statesman, martyr
Treatise To Receive the Blessed Body of our Lord

"Today salvation has come to this house"
Let us receive Christ in the sacrament as Zacchaeus, the good publican, did... He hastened to come down from the tree and joyfully did he welcome the Lord Jesus into his house. But he was not satisfied to welcome him with a passing joy, fruit of a slight attachment...; he proved it with works of virtue. Immediately did he set to work to render back again, not sparingly but fourfold, to all those persons unto whom he had done wrong. And immediately did he undertake, besides, to deliver to the poor the half of all he had – immediately (take heed of this!) and at once, without waiting for the morrow...

Let us not lose this time therefore, suffer not this occasion to slip, for we can little tell whether we shall ever get it again or never. Let us receive him in such wise as did the good publican Zaccheus; with such alacrity, with such quickness of spirit, with such gladness and such spiritual rejoicing as this man received our Lord into his house, may our Lord give us the grace to receive his blessed body and blood, his holy soul and his almighty God­head, both into our bodies and into our souls, that the fruit of our good works may bear witness unto our conscience, that we receive him worthily and in such full faith and such a stable purpose of good living as we be bound to do. And then shall God... say upon our soul, as he said upon Zaccheus: «This day is health and salvation come unto this house».

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 16 2011, 11:44

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Wednesday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Margaret of Scotland (c. 1046-1093), St. Gertrude the Great, Abbess († c. 1302)

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta : "Since you have been faithful in this very small matter; take charge of ten cities"

2nd book of Maccabees 7:1.20-31.

It also happened that seven brothers with their mother were arrested and tortured with whips and scourges by the king, to force them to eat pork in violation of God's law.
Most admirable and worthy of everlasting remembrance was the mother, who saw her seven sons perish in a single day, yet bore it courageously because of her hope in the Lord.
Filled with a noble spirit that stirred her womanly heart with manly courage, she exhorted each of them in the language of their forefathers with these words:
"I do not know how you came into existence in my womb; it was not I who gave you the breath of life, nor was it I who set in order the elements of which each of you is composed.
Therefore, since it is the Creator of the universe who shapes each man's beginning, as he brings about the origin of everything, he, in his mercy, will give you back both breath and life, because you now disregard yourselves for the sake of his law." Martyrdom of Mother and Sons
Antiochus, suspecting insult in her words, thought he was being ridiculed. As the youngest brother was still alive, the king appealed to him, not with mere words, but with promises on oath, to make him rich and happy if he would abandon his ancestral customs: he would make him his Friend and entrust him with high office.
When the youth paid no attention to him at all, the king appealed to the mother, urging her to advise her boy to save his life.
After he had urged her for a long time, she went through the motions of persuading her son.
In derision of the cruel tyrant, she leaned over close to her son and said in their native language: "Son, have pity on me, who carried you in my womb for nine months, nursed you for three years, brought you up, educated and supported you to your present age.
I beg you, child, to look at the heavens and the earth and see all that is in them; then you will know that God did not make them out of existing things; and in the same way the human race came into existence.
Do not be afraid of this executioner, but be worthy of your brothers and accept death, so that in the time of mercy I may receive you again with them."
She had scarcely finished speaking when the youth said: "What are you waiting for? I will not obey the king's command. I obey the command of the law given to our forefathers through Moses.
But you, who have contrived every kind of affliction for the Hebrews, will not escape the hands of God.

Psalms 17(16):1.5-6.8b.15.
A prayer of David. Hear, LORD, my plea for justice; pay heed to my cry; Listen to my prayer spoken without guile.
My steps have kept to your paths; my feet have not faltered.
I call upon you; answer me, O God. Turn your ear to me; hear my prayer.
Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings

I am just--let me see your face; when I awake, let me be filled with your presence.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:11-28.
While they were listening to him speak, he proceeded to tell a parable because he was near Jerusalem and they thought that the kingdom of God would appear there immediately.
So he said, "A nobleman went off to a distant country to obtain the kingship for himself and then to return.
He called ten of his servants and gave them ten gold coins and told them, 'Engage in trade with these until I return.'
His fellow citizens, however, despised him and sent a delegation after him to announce, 'We do not want this man to be our king.'
But when he returned after obtaining the kingship, he had the servants called, to whom he had given the money, to learn what they had gained by trading.
The first came forward and said, 'Sir, your gold coin has earned ten additional ones.'
He replied, 'Well done, good servant! You have been faithful in this very small matter; take charge of ten cities.'
Then the second came and reported, 'Your gold coin, sir, has earned five more.'
And to this servant too he said, 'You, take charge of five cities.'
Then the other servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your gold coin; I kept it stored away in a handkerchief,
for I was afraid of you, because you are a demanding person; you take up what you did not lay down and you harvest what you did not plant.'
He said to him, 'With your own words I shall condemn you, you wicked servant. You knew I was a demanding person, taking up what I did not lay down and harvesting what I did not plant;
why did you not put my money in a bank? Then on my return I would have collected it with interest.'
And to those standing by he said, 'Take the gold coin from him and give it to the servant who has ten.'
But they said to him, 'Sir, he has ten gold coins.'
'I tell you, to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
Now as for those enemies of mine who did not want me as their king, bring them here and slay them before me.'"
After he had said this, he proceeded on his journey up to Jerusalem.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997), founder of the Missionary Sisters of Charity
No Greater Love (©1997)

"Since you have been faithful in this very small matter; take charge of ten cities"
Whatever you do, even if you help somebody cross the road, you do it to Jesus. Even giving some­body a glass of water, you do it to Jesus (Mt 25,35). Such a simple little teaching, but it is more and more important. We must not be afraid to proclaim Christ's love and to love as He loved. In the work we have to do it does not matter how small and humble it may be, make it Christ's love in action.

However beautiful the work is, be detached from it, even ready to give it up. The work is not yours. The talents God has given you are not yours; they have been given to you for your use, for the glory of God. Be great and use everything in you for the good Master.

What have we to learn? To be meek and hum­ble (Mt 11,29); if we are meek and humble, we will learn to pray. If we learn to pray, we will belong to Jesus. If we belong to Jesus, we will learn to believe, and if we believe we will learn to love, and if we love we will learn to serve.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Nov 17 2011, 10:55

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 17 November 2011

Thursday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Elizabeth of Hungary († 1231) - Memorial

Saint Augustine : "He saw the city and wept over it"

2nd book of Maccabees 2:15-29.

The officers of the king in charge of enforcing the apostasy came to the city of Modein to organize the sacrifices.
Many of Israel joined them, but Mattathias and his sons gathered in a group apart.
Then the officers of the king addressed Mattathias: "You are a leader, an honorable and great man in this city, supported by sons and kinsmen.
Come now, be the first to obey the king's command, as all the Gentiles and the men of Judah and those who are left in Jerusalem have done. Then you and your sons shall be numbered among the King's Friends, and shall be enriched with silver and gold and many gifts."
But Mattathias answered in a loud voice: "Although all the Gentiles in the king's realm obey him, so that each forsakes the religion of his fathers and consents to the king's orders,
yet I and my sons and my kinsmen will keep to the covenant of our fathers.
God forbid that we should forsake the law and the commandments.
We will not obey the words of the king nor depart from our religion in the slightest degree."
As he finished saying these words, a certain Jew came forward in the sight of all to offer sacrifice on the altar in Modein according to the king's order.
When Mattathias saw him, he was filled with zeal; his heart was moved and his just fury was aroused; he sprang forward and killed him upon the altar.
At the same time, he also killed the messenger of the king who was forcing them to sacrifice, and he tore down the altar.
Thus he showed his zeal for the law, just as Phinehas did with Zimri, son of Salu.
Then Mattathias went through the city shouting, "Let everyone who is zealous for the law and who stands by the covenant follow after me!"
Thereupon he fled to the mountains with his sons, leaving behind in the city all their possessions.
Many who sought to live according to righteousness and religious custom went out into the desert to settle there,

Psalms 50(49):1-2.5-6.14-15.
A psalm of Asaph. The LORD, the God of gods, has spoken and summoned the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
From Zion God shines forth. perfect in beauty.
"Gather my faithful ones before me, those who made a covenant with me by sacrifice."
The heavens proclaim divine justice, for God alone is the judge. Selah

Offer praise as your sacrifice to God; fulfill your vows to the Most High.
Then call on me in time of distress; I will rescue you, and you shall honor me."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:41-44.
As he drew near, he saw the city and wept over it,
saying, "If this day you only knew what makes for peace--but now it is hidden from your eyes.
For the days are coming upon you when your enemies will raise a palisade against you; they will encircle you and hem you in on all sides.
They will smash you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave one stone upon another within you because you did not recognize the time of your visitation."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
The City of God, Bk14, §28

"He saw the city and wept over it"
We see then that the two cities were created by two kinds of love: the earthly city was created by self-love reaching the point of contempt for God, the Heavenly City by the love of God carried as far as con­tempt of self. In fact, the earthly city glories in itself, the Heavenly City glories in the Lord. The former looks for glory from men (Jn 5,44), the latter finds its highest glory in God, the witness of a good conscience. The earthly lifts up its head in its own glory, the Heavenly City says to its God: «My glory; you lift up my head» (Ps 3,4). In the former, the lust for domination lords it over its princes as over the nations it sub­jugates; in the other both those put in authority and those subject to them serve one another in love, the rulers by their counsel, the subjects by obedience. The one city loves its own strength shown in its powerful leaders; the other says to its God: «I will love you, my Lord, my strength» (Ps 18[17],2).

Consequently, in the earthly city its wise men who live by men's standards have pursued the goods of the body or of their own mind, or of both. Or those of them who were able to know God «did not honor him as God, nor did they give thanks to him, but they dwindled into futility in their thoughts, and their senseless heart was darkened: in asserting their wisdom;... they worshiped and served created things instead of the Creator, who is blessed for ever» (Rm 1,21-25). In the Heavenly City, on the other hand, man's only wisdom is the devotion which rightly worships the true God, and looks for its reward in the fellowship of the saints, not only holy men but also holy angels, «so that God may be all in all» (1Cor 15,28).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Nov 19 2011, 01:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 18 November 2011

Friday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, Religious (1769-1852)

John Tauler : "Every day he was teaching in the temple area"

2nd book of Maccabees 4:36-37.52-59.

Then Judas and his brothers said, "Now that our enemies have been crushed, let us go up to purify the sanctuary and rededicate it."
So the whole army assembled, and went up to Mount Zion.
Early in the morning on the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month, that is, the month of Chislev, in the year one hundred and forty-eight,
they arose and offered sacrifice according to the law on the new altar of holocausts that they had made.
On the anniversary of the day on which the Gentiles had defiled it, on that very day it was reconsecrated with songs, harps, flutes, and cymbals.
All the people prostrated themselves and adored and praised Heaven, who had given them success.
For eight days they celebrated the dedication of the altar and joyfully offered holocausts and sacrifices of deliverance and praise.
They ornamented the facade of the temple with gold crowns and shields; they repaired the gates and the priests' chambers and furnished them with doors.
There was great joy among the people now that the disgrace of the Gentiles was removed.
Then Judas and his brothers and the entire congregation of Israel decreed that the days of the dedication of the altar should be observed with joy and gladness on the anniversary every year for eight days, from the twenty-fifth day of the month Chislev.

1st book of Chronicles 29:10.11abc-11d.12a-12bcd.
Then David blessed the LORD in the presence of the whole assembly, praying in these words: "Blessed may you be, O LORD, God of Israel our father, from eternity to eternity.
"Yours, O LORD, are grandeur and power, majesty, splendor, and glory. For all in heaven and on earth is yours; yours, O LORD, is the sovereignty; you are exalted as head over all.
"Riches and honor are from you, and you have dominion over all. In your hand are power and might; it is yours to give grandeur and strength to all.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 19:45-48.
Then Jesus entered the temple area and proceeded to drive out those who were selling things,
saying to them, "It is written, 'My house shall be a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of thieves.'"
And every day he was teaching in the temple area. The chief priests, the scribes, and the leaders of the people, meanwhile, were seeking to put him to death,
but they could find no way to accomplish their purpose because all the people were hanging on his words.

Commentary of the day :

John Tauler (c.1300-1361), Dominican
Sermon 69

"Every day he was teaching in the temple area"
Our Lord himself teaches us what to do if our interior self is to become a house of prayer since the human person is, in truth, a temple dedicated to God. First of all we have to expel the merchants, that is to say the images and representations of created goods, and everything that gives us satisfaction in worldly things and pleasure in our own will. Then we are to wash the temple with our tears to make it clean. Not every temple is holy just because it is a habitable dwelling...; God alone makes it holy.

The temple we are talking about here is God's delightful temple in which God is proclaimed in truth when... we have made it clean. How could God choose to make his home in a soul before it has given even the slightest thought to God? Isn't it often cluttered up with too many other things?

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Nov 19 2011, 11:20

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 19 November 2011

Saturday of the Thirty-third week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Mechtildis of Helfta (13th century)

Blessed John-Paul II: "They are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise"

2nd book of Maccabees 6:1-13.

As King Antiochus was traversing the inland provinces, he heard that in Persia there was a city called Elymais, famous for its wealth in silver and gold,
and that its temple was very rich, containing gold helmets, breastplates, and weapons left there by Alexander, son of Philip, king of Macedon, the first king of the Greeks.
He went therefore and tried to capture and pillage the city. But he could not do so, because his plan became known to the people of the city
who rose up in battle against him. So he retreated and in great dismay withdrew from there to return to Babylon.
While he was in Persia, a messenger brought him news that the armies sent into the land of Judah had been put to flight;
that Lysias had gone at first with a strong army and been driven back by the Israelites; that they had grown strong by reason of the arms, men, and abundant possessions taken from the armies they had destroyed;
that they had pulled down the Abomination which he had built upon the altar in Jerusalem; and that they had surrounded with high walls both the sanctuary, as it had been before, and his city of Beth-zur.
When the king heard this news, he was struck with fear and very much shaken. Sick with grief because his designs had failed, he took to his bed.
There he remained many days, overwhelmed with sorrow, for he knew he was going to die.
So he called in all his Friends and said to them: "Sleep has departed from my eyes, for my heart is sinking with anxiety.
I said to myself: 'Into what tribulation have I come, and in what floods of sorrow am I now!
Yet I was kindly and beloved in my rule.' But I now recall the evils I did in Jerusalem, when I carried away all the vessels of gold and silver that were in it, and for no cause gave orders that the inhabitants of Judah be destroyed.
I know that this is why these evils have overtaken me; and now I am dying, in bitter grief, in a foreign land."

Psalms 9(9A):2-3.4.6.16b.19.
I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; I will declare all your wondrous deeds.
I will delight and rejoice in you; I will sing hymns to your name, Most High.
For my enemies turn back; they stumble and perish before you.
You rebuked the nations, you destroyed the wicked; their name you blotted out for all time

The nations fall into the pit they dig; in the snare they hide, their own foot is caught.
The needy will never be forgotten, nor will the hope of the afflicted ever fade.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 20:27-40.
Some Sadducees, those who deny that there is a resurrection, came forward and put this question to him,
saying, "Teacher, Moses wrote for us, 'If someone's brother dies leaving a wife but no child, his brother must take the wife and raise up descendants for his brother.'
Now there were seven brothers; the first married a woman but died childless.
Then the second
and the third married her, and likewise all the seven died childless.
Finally the woman also died.
Now at the resurrection whose wife will that woman be? For all seven had been married to her."
Jesus said to them, "The children of this age marry and remarry;
but those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.
They can no longer die, for they are like angels; and they are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise.
That the dead will rise even Moses made known in the passage about the bush, when he called 'Lord' the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob;
and he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive."
Some of the scribes said in reply, "Teacher, you have answered well."
And they no longer dared to ask him anything.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed John-Paul II, Pope from 1978 to 2005
General Audience of 01/12/1982

"They are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise"
As a sacrament born from the mystery of Redemption and, in a certain sense, reborn from the nuptial love between Christ and the Church (cf. Eph 5,22-23), marriage is an efficacious expression of God's saving power, bringing to realization his eternal design even after sin and in spite of the concupiscence that is hidden in the hearts of every human being, both man and woman... As a sacrament of the Church, marriage is by nature indissoluble. As a sacrament of the Church it is also a word spoken by the Spirit, who exhorts man and woman to shape their whole life together by drawing strength from the mystery of the redemption of the body... The redemption of the body means... that hope which, in the context of marriage, can be defined as hope in daily life, hope in what is temporal...

The dignity of married couples... is expressed in their profound awareness of the sanctity of life, to which both contribute by participating – as co-founders of a family – in the forces belonging to the mystery of creation. In the light of this hope, which is linked to the mystery of the redemption of the body, this new human life, the child conceived and born of the conjugal union of its father and mother, opens itself to the «firstfruits of the Spirit» «to enter into the freedom of the glory of the children of God». And if «all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now», a special hope accompanies the woman in the pains of childbirth, namely the hope of «the revelation of the children of God» (cf. Rm 8,19-23), a hope of which every newborn child carries a spark when it comes into the world... This is what Christ's words refer to when he called attention to the resurrection of the body... «They are children of God, being children of the resurrection.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 20 2011, 11:02

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 20 November 2011

Our Lord Jesus Christ the King - Solemnity

Feast of the Church : Christ the King, solemnity
Saint(s) of the day : St. Edmund the Martyr (841-870)

Saint Hilary : "Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world"

Book of Ezekiel 34:11-12.15-17.

For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself will look after and tend my sheep.
As a shepherd tends his flock when he finds himself among his scattered sheep, so will I tend my sheep. I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered when it was cloudy and dark.
I myself will pasture my sheep; I myself will give them rest, says the Lord GOD.
The lost I will seek out, the strayed I will bring back, the injured I will bind up, the sick I will heal (but the sleek and the strong I will destroy), shepherding them rightly.
As for you, my sheep, says the Lord GOD, I will judge between one sheep and another, between rams and goats.

Psalms 23(22):1-2a.2b-3.5.6.
A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

First Letter to the Corinthians 15:20-26.28.
But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead came also through a human being.
For just as in Adam all die, so too in Christ shall all be brought to life,
but each one in proper order: Christ the firstfruits; then, at his coming, those who belong to Christ;
then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father, when he has destroyed every sovereignty and every authority and power.
For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.
The last enemy to be destroyed is death,
When everything is subjected to him, then the Son himself will (also) be subjected to the one who subjected everything to him, so that God may be all in all.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:31-46.
Jesus said to his disciples: «When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne,
and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,
naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'
Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'
And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.'
Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?'
He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.'
And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers, Doctor of the Church
The Trinity, 11, 38-39

"Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world"
Christ «will hand over the Kingdom to his Father» says Saint Paul (1Cor 15,24), not in the sense that he will let go of his own power by handing over the Kingdom but because we are the ones who will become the Kingdom of God when we have been conformed to his glorious body... It is ourselves he will hand over to God when he has constituted us «Kingdom of God» through the glorification of his body. It is ourselves he will hand over as Kingdom to the Father, as the Gospel says: «Come, blessed of my Father, receive the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world».

«Then the righteous shall shine like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father» (Mt 13,43). For the Son will hand over to God those he has invited into his Kingdom as being his Kingdom, those to whom he promised with these words the blessedness proper to this mystery: «Blessed the pure in heart for they shall see God» (Mt 5,8)... Christ delivers the Kingdom to God and now those whom he hands over as his Kingdom to God will see God. Our Lord himself made known to his apostles in what this Kingdom consists: «The Kingdom of God is within you» (Lk 17,21).

And if one of you is wanting to know who he is who is handing over the Kingdom, listen to this: «Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead came also through a human being» (1Cor 15,20-21). This has to do with the mystery of the Body, for Christ was the first to be raised from the dead... And so it is for the sake of the development of the humanity assumed by Christ that «God will be all in all» (1Cor 15,28).

Back to top Go down
alia
Konek Thread Setter
  Konek Thread Setter

Date Joined : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:39

amen....... praying

Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Nov 21 2011, 13:28

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 21 November 2011

Monday of the Thirty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Feast of the Church : Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Blessed Charles de Foucauld : To give one's all because Christ has given his all

Book of Daniel 1:1-6.8-20.

In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon came and laid siege to Jerusalem.
The Lord handed over to him Jehoiakim, king of Judah, and some of the vessels of the temple of God, which he carried off to the land of Shinar, and placed in the temple treasury of his god.
The king told Ashpenaz, his chief chamberlain, to bring in some of the Israelites of royal blood and of the nobility,
young men without any defect, handsome, intelligent and wise, quick to learn, and prudent in judgment, such as could take their place in the king's palace; they were to be taught the language and literature of the Chaldeans;
after three years' training they were to enter the king's service. The king allotted them a daily portion of food and wine from the royal table.
Among these were men of Judah: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.
But Daniel was resolved not to defile himself with the king's food or wine; so he begged the chief chamberlain to spare him this defilement.
Though God had given Daniel the favor and sympathy of the chief chamberlain,
he nevertheless said to Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king; it is he who allotted your food and drink. If he sees that you look wretched by comparison with the other young men of your age, you will endanger my life with the king."
Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief chamberlain had put in charge of Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah,
"Please test your servants for ten days. Give us vegetables to eat and water to drink.
Then see how we look in comparison with the other young men who eat from the royal table, and treat your servants according to what you see."
He acceded to this request, and tested them for ten days;
after ten days they looked healthier and better fed than any of the young men who ate from the royal table.
So the steward continued to take away the food and wine they were to receive, and gave them vegetables.
To these four young men God gave knowledge and proficiency in all literature and science, and to Daniel the understanding of all visions and dreams.
At the end of the time the king had specified for their preparation, the chief chamberlain brought them before Nebuchadnezzar.
When the king had spoken with all of them, none was found equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; and so they entered the king's service.
In any question of wisdom or prudence which the king put to them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his kingdom.

Book of Daniel 3:52.53.54.55.56.
"Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of our fathers, praiseworthy and exalted above all forever; And blessed is your holy and glorious name, praiseworthy and exalted above all for all ages.
Blessed are you in the temple of your holy glory, praiseworthy and glorious above all forever.
Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom, praiseworthy and exalted above all forever.
Blessed are you who look into the depths from your throne upon the cherubim, praiseworthy and exalted above all forever.
Blessed are you in the firmament of heaven, praiseworthy and glorious forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 21:1-4.
When he looked up he saw some wealthy people putting their offerings into the treasury
and he noticed a poor widow putting in two small coins.
He said, "I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest;
for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood."

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Charles de Foucauld (1858-1916), hermit and missionary in the Sahara
Retreat made at Nazareth, 1897

To give one's all because Christ has given his all
O my Lord Jesus, how quickly will a person become poor who, loving you with all his heart, is unable to bear being more wealthy than his Beloved. How speedily will he become poor who, reflecting that all that is done to one of these little ones is done to you and that all that is not done to them is not done to you (Mt 25,40.45), brings comfort to all the neediness within his power. How quickly will he become poor who receives your words in faith: «If you would be perfect, sell what you have and give to the poor. Blessed are the poor. Everyone who has given up his possessions for my sake will receive a hundred times more and in heaven, eternal life» (Mt 19,21.29; 5,3) and so much more.

O my God, I cannot believe some souls are able to see you poor and yet choose to remain rich, to see themselves as so much greater than their lord, their Beloved, and not want to be like you in everything insofar as it depends on them, especially in your humiliations... In my view, anyway, I cannot think of love without a pressing need for conformity, for likeness and, above all, for sharing all the pains and difficulties, all the hardships of life. To be rich, at ease, living comfortably off my possessions when you were poor, afflicted and living painfully off a hard labor – no, I cannot, my God; I cannot love like that.

It isn't right that «the slave should be greater than his master» (Jn 13,16), nor that the bride should be rich when the Bridegroom is poor... As for me, it seems impossible to me to comprehend love without a seeking for likeness..., without a need to share in every cross.

Back to top Go down
raven
Konek Thread Setter
  Konek Thread Setter

Date Joined : 2011-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Nov 21 2011, 16:29

nice gospel sana may mga maantig nito lalo na yung mga naliligaw..

alia
Konek Thread Setter
  Konek Thread Setter

Date Joined : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:09

well..nice gospel sis @elyn......

Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Nov 22 2011, 11:20

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Tuesday of the Thirty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Cecilia, Virgin and Martyr († 230) - Memorial

Saint John Chrysostom : "When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified"

Book of Daniel 2:31-45.

"In your vision, O king, you saw a statue, very large and exceedingly bright, terrifying in appearance as it stood before you.
The head of the statue was pure gold, its chest and arms were silver, its belly and thighs bronze,
the legs iron, its feet partly iron and partly tile.
While you looked at the statue, a stone which was hewn from a mountain without a hand being put to it, struck its iron and tile feet, breaking them in pieces.
The iron, tile, bronze, silver, and gold all crumbled at once, fine as the chaff on the threshing floor in summer, and the wind blew them away without leaving a trace. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.
"This was the dream; the interpretation we shall also give in the king's presence.
You, O king, are the king of kings; to you the God of heaven has given dominion and strength, power and glory;
men, wild beasts, and birds of the air, wherever they may dwell, he has handed over to you, making you ruler over them all; you are the head of gold.
Another kingdom shall take your place, inferior to yours, then a third kingdom, of bronze, which shall rule over the whole earth.
There shall be a fourth kingdom, strong as iron; it shall break in pieces and subdue all these others, just as iron breaks in pieces and crushes everything else.
The feet and toes you saw, partly of potter's tile and partly of iron, mean that it shall be a divided kingdom, but yet have some of the hardness of iron. As you saw the iron mixed with clay tile,
and the toes partly iron and partly tile, the kingdom shall be partly strong and partly fragile.
The iron mixed with clay tile means that they shall seal their alliances by intermarriage, but they shall not stay united, any more than iron mixes with clay.
In the lifetime of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed or delivered up to another people; rather, it shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and put an end to them, and it shall stand forever.
That is the meaning of the stone you saw hewn from the mountain without a hand being put to it, which broke in pieces the tile, iron, bronze, silver, and gold. The great God has revealed to the king what shall be in the future; this is exactly what you dreamed, and its meaning is sure."

Book of Daniel 3:57.58.59.60.61.
Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever.
Angels of the Lord, bless the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever.
You heavens, bless the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you waters above the heavens, bless the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you hosts of the Lord, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 21:5-11.
While some people were speaking about how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings, he said,
All that you see here--the days will come when there will not be left a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down.
Then they asked him, "Teacher, when will this happen? And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?"
He answered, "See that you not be deceived, for many will come in my name, saying, 'I am he,' and 'The time has come.' Do not follow them!
When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for such things must happen first, but it will not immediately be the end."
Then he said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues from place to place; and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky.

Commentary of the day :

Saint John Chrysostom (c.345-407), priest at Antioch then Bishop of Constantinople, Doctor of the Church
Homilies on the letter to the Romans, no.24

"When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified"
The nearer the king approaches, the more we should pray. The nearer the moment arrives for bestowing the trophy on the combatant, the harder we should struggle. This is what they do at the races: as the end of the course comes and they are reaching the goal, they stir up the horses' enthusiasm even more. In the same way Paul says: «Now is salvation nearer to us than when first we believed. The night is far gone, the day is at hand» (Rm 13,11-12).

Since night is disappearing and day is coming into view, let us carry out the works of day and leave behind the works of darkness. This is what we do in the course of life: when we see night giving way to dawn and hear the swallows singing, then we wake one another up even though it is still dark... We hurry to our daily tasks; we get dressed after being snatched from sleep so that the sun will find us ready. What we do then, let us do now. Let us shake off our dreams, rouse ourselves from thoughts of this present life, leave our heavy slumber and put on the garment of virtue. This is what the apostle clearly says to us: «Cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light» (v.12). For day is calling us to the battle, to the fight.

But don't be afraid when you hear these words about fighting and combat! For if it is uncomfortable to put on heavy material armor, it is pleasant, on the other hand, to put on spiritual armor, for this is an armor of light. So will you shine more brightly than the sun and, even as you sparkle brightly, you will be safe because these are weapons..., weapons of light. So then? Are we excused from fighting? Not at all! We are to fight but without being overcome by fatigue and without pain. For it is not so much a war to which we are being summoned as a feast and celebration.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 23 2011, 11:18

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Wednesday of the Thirty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Clement I, Pope and martyr († 100), St. Columban, abbot († 615)

Vatican Council II: "It will lead to your giving testimony"

Book of Daniel 5:1-6.13-14.16-17.23-28.

King Belshazzar gave a great banquet for a thousand of his lords, with whom he drank.
Under the influence of the wine, he ordered the gold and silver vessels which Nebuchadnezzar, his father, had taken from the temple in Jerusalem, to be brought in so that the king, his lords, his wives and his entertainers might drink from them.
When the gold and silver vessels taken from the house of God in Jerusalem had been brought in, and while the king, his lords, his wives and his entertainers were drinking
wine from them, they praised their gods of gold and silver, bronze and iron, wood and stone.
Suddenly, opposite the lampstand, the fingers of a human hand appeared, writing on the plaster of the wall in the king's palace. When the king saw the wrist and hand that wrote,
his face blanched; his thoughts terrified him, his hip joints shook, and his knees knocked.
Then Daniel was brought into the presence of the king. The king asked him, "Are you the Daniel, the Jewish exile, whom my father, the king, brought from Judah?
I have heard that the spirit of God is in you, that you possess brilliant knowledge and extraordinary wisdom.
But I have heard that you can interpret dreams and solve difficulties; if you are able to read the writing and tell me what it means, you shall be clothed in purple, wear a gold collar about your neck, and be third in the government of the kingdom."
Daniel answered the king: "You may keep your gifts, or give your presents to someone else; but the writing I will read for you, O king, and tell you what it means.
you have rebelled against the Lord of heaven. You had the vessels of his temple brought before you, so that you and your nobles, your wives and your entertainers, might drink wine from them; and you praised the gods of silver and gold, bronze and iron, wood and stone, that neither see nor hear nor have intelligence. But the God in whose hand is your life breath and the whole course of your life, you did not glorify.
By him were the wrist and hand sent, and the writing set down.
"This is the writing that was inscribed: MENE, TEKEL, and PERES. These words mean:
MENE, God has numbered your kingdom and put an end to it;
TEKEL, you have been weighed on the scales and found wanting;
PERES, your kingdom has been divided and given to the Medes and Persians."

Book of Daniel 3:62.63.64.65.66.67.
Sun and moon, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Stars of heaven, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Every shower and dew, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you winds, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Fire and heat, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
[Cold and chill, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 21:12-19.
Before all this happens, however, they will seize and persecute you, they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons, and they will have you led before kings and governors because of my name.
It will lead to your giving testimony.
Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand,
for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute.
You will even be handed over by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends, and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but not a hair on your head will be destroyed.
By your perseverance you will secure your lives.

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Dogmatic Constitution on the Church « Lumen gentium » §41-42 (©Libreria Vaticana editrice)

"It will lead to your giving testimony"
May all those who are weighed down with poverty, infirmity and sickness, as well as those who must bear various hardships or who suffer persecution for justice sake—may they all know they are united with the suffering Christ in a special way for the salvation of the world. The Lord called them blessed in His Gospel and they are those whom "the God of all graces, who has called us unto His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself, after we have suffered a little while, perfect, strengthen and establish" (1Pt 5,10)...

Since Jesus, the Son of God, manifested His charity by laying down His life for us, so too no one has greater love than he who lays down his life for Christ and His brothers.(cf 1Jn 3,16; Jn 15,13). From the earliest times, then, some Christians have been called upon—and some will always be called upon—to give the supreme testimony of this love to all men, but especially to persecutors. The Church, then, considers martyrdom as an exceptional gift and as the fullest proof of love. By martyrdom a disciple is transformed into an image of his Master by freely accepting death for the salvation of the world—as well as his conformity to Christ in the shedding of his blood. Though few are presented such an opportunity, nevertheless all must be prepared to confess Christ before men. They must be prepared to make this profession of faith even in the midst of persecutions, which will never be lacking to the Church, in following the way of the cross.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Nov 24 2011, 10:52

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 24 November 2011

Thursday of the Thirty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Feast of the Church : In the USA : Thanksgiving Day
Saint(s) of the day : St. Andrew Dung-Lac and his companions, martyrs (1745-1862) - Memorial

A Greek homily of the 4th century : The victory of the Son of Man, who has come and who comes

Book of Daniel 6:12-28.

So these men rushed in and found Daniel praying and pleading before his God.
Then they went to remind the king about the prohibition: "Did you not decree, O king, that no one is to address a petition to god or man for thirty days, except to you, O king; otherwise he shall be cast into a den of lions?" The king answered them, "The decree is absolute, irrevocable under the Mede and Persian law."
To this they replied, "Daniel, the Jewish exile, has paid no attention to you, O king, or to the decree you issued; three times a day he offers his prayer."
The king was deeply grieved at this news and he made up his mind to save Daniel; he worked till sunset to rescue him.
But these men insisted. "Keep in mind, O king," they said, "that under the Mede and Persian law every royal prohibition or decree is irrevocable."
So the king ordered Daniel to be brought and cast into the lions' den. To Daniel he said, "May your God, whom you serve so constantly, save you."
To forestall any tampering, the king sealed with his own ring and the rings of the lords the stone that had been brought to block the opening of the den.
Then the king returned to his palace for the night; he refused to eat and he dismissed the entertainers. Since sleep was impossible for him,
the king rose very early the next morning and hastened to the lions' den.
As he drew near, he cried out to Daniel sorrowfully, "O Daniel, servant of the living God, has the God whom you serve so constantly been able to save you from the lions?"
Daniel answered the king: "O king, live forever!
My God has sent his angel and closed the lions' mouths so that they have not hurt me. For I have been found innocent before him; neither to you have I done any harm, O king!"
This gave the king great joy. At his order Daniel was removed from the den, unhurt because he trusted in his God.
The king then ordered the men who had accused Daniel, along with their children and their wives, to be cast into the lions' den. Before they reached the bottom of the den, the lions overpowered them and crushed all their bones.
Then King Darius wrote to the nations and peoples of every language, wherever they dwell on the earth: "All peace to you!
I decree that throughout my royal domain the God of Daniel is to be reverenced and feared: "For he is the living God, enduring forever; his kingdom shall not be destroyed, and his dominion shall be without end.
He is a deliverer and savior, working signs and wonders in heaven and on earth, and he delivered Daniel from the lions' power."

Book of Daniel 3:68.69.70.71.72.73.74.
Dew and rain, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Frost and chill, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Ice and snow, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Nights and days, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Light and darkness, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Lightnings and clouds, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Let the earth bless the Lord, praise and exalt him above all forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 21:20-28.
When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, know that its desolation is at hand.
Then those in Judea must flee to the mountains. Let those within the city escape from it, and let those in the countryside not enter the city,
for these days are the time of punishment when all the scriptures are fulfilled.
Woe to pregnant women and nursing mothers in those days, for a terrible calamity will come upon the earth and a wrathful judgment upon this people.
They will fall by the edge of the sword and be taken as captives to all the Gentiles; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on earth nations will be in dismay, perplexed by the roaring of the sea and the waves.
People will die of fright in anticipation of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
But when these signs begin to happen, stand erect and raise your heads because your redemption is at hand."

Commentary of the day :

A Greek homily of the 4th century
On the Holy Pasch, 44-48 ; PG 59, 743 ; SC 27 (inspired by a lost homily of Hippolytus, trans. SC rev.)

The victory of the Son of Man, who has come and who comes
What is the coming of Christ? It is deliverance from slavery and casting aside of the ancient bondage, the beginning of freedom and honor of adoption, the origin of the remission of our sins and a truly immortal life for all. When the Word, the Utterance of God, looked down on us from on high, under the tyranny of death, without form, bound by the bonds of dissipation, carried off along a road without return, he came by God's design to take on the nature of Adam, the first man. Neither to angels nor archangels did he entrust our salvation, but in obedience to the Father's command he himself took on himself the struggle on our behalf... Incorporating and including in himself all the majesty of his divinity, he came according to the measure he had determined...; by the Father's power he lost nothing of what he had, but taking what he had not he came in such fashion as would delimit him...

See, he is Lord: «The Lord said to my Lord: 'Sit on my right'» (Ps 110[109],1)... See, he is Son: «He shall say to me 'You are my Father' and I will make him my first-born» (Ps 89[88], 27-28)... See, too, he is God: «The great ones of the earth shall come; they shall bow down before you, saying in prayer: 'God is in you'»(Is 45,14)... See, he is the eternal king: «A sceptre of justice is the sceptre of your kingdom... therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness» (Ps 45[44],7-8)... See, the Lord of armies: «Who is the king of glory? He, the Lord of armies, he is the king of glory» (Ps 24[23],8)... And see, he is the eternal high priest: «You are a priest for ever» (Ps 110[109],4). But if he is Lord and God, Son and king, Lord and eternal high priest, when he willed it, «He is also man: who can grasp it?» (Jr 17,9 LXX)...

Truly it was as God and man that this great Jesus came amongst us... He clothed himself with our wretched body and with death...; he cleansed our bodies of their infirmities, healed every one of our wounds by his might, that the word might be fulfilled: «I am the Lord... I will take you by my right hand and uphold you... I am the Lord, that is my name... And the last enemy, death, shall be destroyed. Death, where is your sting?» (Is 42,6; 1Cor 15,26.55).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Fri Nov 25 2011, 13:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 25 November 2011

Friday of the Thirty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Catherine of Alexandria, Virgin & Martyr († c. 307)

Blessed Guerric of Igny : "Know that the kingdom of God is near"

Book of Daniel 7:2-14.

In the vision I saw during the night, suddenly the four winds of heaven stirred up the great sea,
from which emerged four immense beasts, each different from the others.
The first was like a lion, but with eagle's wings. While I watched, the wings were plucked; it was raised from the ground to stand on two feet like a man, and given a human mind.
The second was like a bear; it was raised up on one side, and among the teeth in its mouth were three tusks. It was given the order, "Up, devour much flesh."
After this I looked and saw another beast, like a leopard; on its back were four wings like those of a bird, and it had four heads. To this beast dominion was given.
After this, in the visions of the night I saw the fourth beast, different from all the others, terrifying, horrible, and of extraordinary strength; it had great iron teeth with which it devoured and crushed, and what was left it trampled with its feet.
I was considering the ten horns it had, when suddenly another, a little horn, sprang out of their midst, and three of the previous horns were torn away to make room for it. This horn had eyes like a man, and a mouth that spoke arrogantly.
As I watched, Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire.
A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened.
I watched, then, from the first of the arrogant words which the horn spoke, until the beast was slain and its body thrown into the fire to be burnt up.
The other beasts, which also lost their dominion, were granted a prolongation of life for a time and a season.
As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him,
He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

Book of Daniel 3:75.76.77.78.79.80.81.
Mountains and hills, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Everything growing from the earth, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
You springs, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Seas and rivers, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
You dolphins and all water creatures, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you birds of the air, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 21:29-33.
He taught them a lesson. "Consider the fig tree and all the other trees.
When their buds burst open, you see for yourselves and know that summer is now near;
in the same way, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near.
Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Guerric of Igny (c.1080-1157), Cistercian abbot
1st Sermon for Advent ; PL 185,11 ; SC 166

"Know that the kingdom of God is near"
"We are waiting for the Savior," (Latin liturgy; cf. Phil 3,20). Such waiting is truly a joy to the righteous, who are waiting for «the hope of blessedness, the glorious coming of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,» (Tit 2,13). "What am I waiting for," a righteous man may ask, "but the Lord?" (Ps 39[38],8). "I know," he says, turning towards him, "that you will not disappoint me after such a wait as mine (Ps 119[118],116). Already my being is with you; for our nature, taken from amongst us and offered on our behalf, is glorified with you. This gives us hope; for all flesh will come to you (Ps 65[64],3)...»

But a man can wait for the Lord the more trustfully if his conscience is so at rest as to let him say: "Every smallest possession of mine, Lord, is entirely yours, for 'I have treasured up in heaven' (Mt 6,20) all my powers, either by giving them to you or by renouncing them for you. At your feet I have laid down all that is mine, knowing you will... restore it to me multiplied a hundred-fold and add to it eternal life" (Mk 10,30). How blessed are you, poor in spirit (Mt 5,3)... "For," the Lord says, "where your treasure is there your heart is also" (Mt 6,21). Let your hearts go then, let them go after their treasures; let your attention be fixed on high and your expectancy hang upon the Lord, so that you can justly say with the apostle Paul: "Our abiding place is in heaven, from where we are expecting the Savior to come" (Phil 3,20).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Nov 26 2011, 21:19

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 26 November 2011

Saturday of the Thirty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Saint(s) of the day : St. Peter of Alexandria, Bishop & Martyr († 311)

Saint Maximus the Confessor : "To stand before the Son of Man"

Book of Daniel 7:15-27.

I, Daniel, found my spirit anguished within its sheath of flesh, and I was terrified by the visions of my mind.
I approached one of those present and asked him what all this meant in truth; in answer, he made known to me the meaning of the things:
"These four great beasts stand for four kingdoms which shall arise on the earth.
But the holy ones of the Most High shall receive the kingship, to possess it forever and ever."
But I wished to make certain about the fourth beast, so very terrible and different from the others, devouring and crushing with its iron teeth and bronze claws, and trampling with its feet what was left;
about the ten horns on its head, and the other one that sprang up, before which three horns fell; about the horn with the eyes and the mouth that spoke arrogantly, which appeared greater than its fellows.
For, as I watched, that horn made war against the holy ones and was victorious
until the Ancient One arrived; judgment was pronounced in favor of the holy ones of the Most High, and the time came when the holy ones possessed the kingdom.
He answered me thus: "The fourth beast shall be a fourth kingdom on earth, different from all the others; It shall devour the whole earth, beat it down, and crush it.
The ten horns shall be ten kings rising out of that kingdom; another shall rise up after them, Different from those before him, who shall lay low three kings.
He shall speak against the Most High and oppress the holy ones of the Most High, thinking to change the feast days and the law. They shall be handed over to him for a year, two years, and a half-year.
But when the court is convened, and his power is taken away by final and absolute destruction,
Then the kingship and dominion and majesty of all the kingdoms under the heavens shall be given to the holy people of the Most High, Whose kingdom shall be everlasting: all dominions shall serve and obey him."

Book of Daniel 3:82.83.84.85.86.87.
You sons of men, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
O Israel, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Priests of the Lord, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Servants of the Lord, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Spirits and souls of the just, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
Holy men of humble heart, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 21:34-36.
Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life, and that day catch you by surprise
like a trap. For that day will assault everyone who lives on the face of the earth.
Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent and to stand before the Son of Man."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Maximus the Confessor (c.580-662), monk and theologian
Dialogue on the ascetic life ; PG 90, 912

"To stand before the Son of Man"
We implore you, O Lord, God of all goodness, that the unfolding of the mystery of salvation accomplished for us in your only Son may not turn to our condemnation, that he may not «cast us away from your face». Hold not our wretched condition in abhorrence but have pity on us in your great compassion: «according to your great mercy, wipe away our sins.» Then, when we appear before your glory, rather than receiving condemnation we shall obtain the protection of your only Son and will not be rebuked like wicked servants... Yes, almighty Lord and Master, hearken to our supplication: «We know none other but you.» We invoke your name for you are he who «works all in all things» and in you we seek for help.

«Lord, look down from heaven and see, from your holy and glorious dwelling. Where is your zealous care and your might, your surge of pity and your mercy? You are our Father were Abraham not to know us... You, Lord, are our Father; redeem us, for from the beginning was your name spoken over us» as was the name of your only Son and of your Holy Spirit. «Why do you suffer us to wander far from your ways?... Why have you abandoned us to our own devices and left us to stray?» Bring us back to you, O Lord, in the name of your holy Church and in the name of all the saints of days gone by...

«Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down, with the mountains quaking before you! Before you they would melt like wax before fire... From of old no ear has ever heard, no eye has seen any God but you... You are our Father..., we are all the work of your hands... We are all your people.»

( Biblical references: Ps 51[50],13.3; Jdt 8,20; 1Co 12,6; Is 63,15-16 LXX; Ps 96,5; Is 63,19; 64, 3.7-8)

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Nov 27 2011, 10:47

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 27 November 2011

First Sunday of Advent – Year B

Saint(s) of the day : St. Maximus, Bishop († 460), St. Virgil, Bishop († 784)

Saint Aelred of Rielvaux : The Lord's coming

Book of Isaiah 63:16b-17.19b.64:2b-7.

for you are our father. Were Abraham not to know us, nor Israel to acknowledge us, You, LORD, are our father, our redeemer you are named forever.
Why do you let us wander, O LORD, from your ways, and harden our hearts so that we fear you not? Return for the sake of your servants, the tribes of your heritage.
Too long have we been like those you do not rule, who do not bear your name. Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down, with the mountains quaking before you,
While you wrought awesome deeds we could not hope for,
such as they had not heard of from of old. No ear has ever heard, no eye ever seen, any God but you doing such deeds for those who wait for him.
Would that you might meet us doing right, that we were mindful of you in our ways! Behold, you are angry, and we are sinful;
all of us have become like unclean men, all our good deeds are like polluted rags; We have all withered like leaves, and our guilt carries us away like the wind.
There is none who calls upon your name, who rouses himself to cling to you; For you have hidden your face from us and have delivered us up to our guilt.
Yet, O LORD, you are our father; we are the clay and you the potter: we are all the work of your hands.

Psalms 80(79):2ac.3b.15-16.18-19.
Shepherd of Israel, listen, guide of the flock of Joseph! From your throne upon the cherubim reveal yourself
to Ephraim, Benjamin, and Manasseh. Stir up your power, come to save us.
Turn again, LORD of hosts; look down from heaven and see; Attend to this vine,
the shoot your right hand has planted.

May your help be with the man at your right hand, with the one whom you once made strong.
Then we will not withdraw from you; revive us, and we will call on your name.

First Letter to the Corinthians 1:3-9.
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I give thanks to my God always on your account for the grace of God bestowed on you in Christ Jesus,
that in him you were enriched in every way, with all discourse and all knowledge,
as the testimony to Christ was confirmed among you,
so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
He will keep you firm to the end, irreproachable on the day of our Lord Jesus (Christ).
God is faithful, and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 13:33-37.
Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come.
It is like a man traveling abroad. He leaves home and places his servants in charge, each with his work, and orders the gatekeeper to be on the watch.
Watch, therefore; you do not know when the lord of the house is coming, whether in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or in the morning.
May he not come suddenly and find you sleeping.
What I say to you, I say to all: 'Watch!'"

Commentary of the day :

Saint Aelred of Rielvaux (1110-1167), Cistercian monk
Sermon for Advent, (Durham collection)

The Lord's coming
Behold the time is now here for us, dearest brethren, when we are to «sing of kindness and judgement to the Lord» (Ps 101[100],1). This is the Lord's Advent, the arrival of the Lord of all who comes and is to come (Rv 1,8). But how and where is he to come? How and where is he coming? Has he not said: «I fill the heaven and the earth?» (Jr 23,24). How, then, is he who fills heaven and earth coming to heaven and earth? Listen to the Gospel: «He was in the world and world was made by him and the world did not know him» (Jn 1,10). Therefore he was both present and absent at the same time: present in that he was in the world; absent because the world did not know him... How could he who was not recognised not be far away, he in whom people did not believe, who was not feared, who was not loved?...

He comes, then, so that he who was not known might be recognized; he in whom no one believed might be believed; he who was not loved might be loved. He who was present according to his nature is coming in his mercy... Think on God a little and see what it means that he should transfer so great a might; how he humbles so great a power, weakens so great a strength, makes feeble so great a wisdom! Was this a requirement of justice towards us? Most certainly not!...

In truth, my Lord, not my righteousness but your mercy guided you; not your necessity but my need. As you have said: «My mercy is established in the heavens» (Ps 89[88],3). Rightly so, for our neediness abounds on earth. That is why «I shall sing for ever of your love, O Lord», which you manifested at your coming. When he showed himself humble in his humanity, powerful in his miracles, strong against the tyranny of the demons, gentle in his welcome of sinners: all these things came from his mercy, all came from his inmost goodness. That is why «I shall sing your love, O Lord» made known at your first coming. And rightly so, for «the earth is filled with the mercy of the Lord» (Ps 119[118],64).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Nov 28 2011, 10:55

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 28 November 2011

Monday of the First week of Advent

Saint(s) of the day : St. James of the Marches, Franciscan Priest (1394-1476)

Saint Bonaventure : "Many will come from the east and the west, and will recline... at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven"

Book of Isaiah 2:1-5.

This is what Isaiah, son of Amoz, saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
In days to come, The mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established as the highest mountain and raised above the hills. All nations shall stream toward it;
many peoples shall come and say: "Come, let us climb the LORD'S mountain, to the house of the God of Jacob, That he may instruct us in his ways, and we may walk in his paths." For from Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
He shall judge between the nations, and impose terms on many peoples. They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; One nation shall not raise the sword against another, nor shall they train for war again.
O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the LORD!

Psalms 122(121):1-2.3-4a.8-9.
A song of ascents. Of David. I rejoiced when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD."
And now our feet are standing within your gates, Jerusalem.
Jerusalem, built as a city, walled round about.
Here the tribes have come, the tribes of the LORD, As it was decreed for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD.

For family and friends I say, "May peace be yours."
For the house of the LORD, our God, I pray, "May blessings be yours."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:5-11.
When he entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him,
saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully."
He said to him, "I will come and cure him."
The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.
For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.
I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven,

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bonaventure (1221-1274), Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
On the Kingdom of the Gospel

"Many will come from the east and the west, and will recline... at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven"
The Kingdom of heaven is as broad as the breadth of endless charity. Although it is composed of individuals «of every language and people, of every tribe and nation» (Rv 5,9) yet none is found wanting because, to the contrary, it expands, and the glory of each is increased all the more. Which prompted Saint Augustine to say that: «When many people share the same joy, the joy of each is all the greater because each one inflames the other.» This breadth of the Kingdom is expressed in these words of Scripture: «Ask, and I shall give you the nations for your heritage» (Ps 2,8) and: «Many shall come from east and west and take their places with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the Kingdom of heaven.» Neither the multitude of those who long for it, nor the multitude of those who now live, nor the multitude of those who possess it, nor the multitude of those arriving can restrict the space in this Kingdom nor compromise anyone.

But why should I trust or hope I shall possess God's Kingdom? Because, or course, of the generosity of the God inviting me: «Seek first the Kingdom of God» (Mt 6,33). Because of the truth that comforts me: «Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's will to give you the Kingdom» (Lk 12,32). Because of the goodness and love that have redeemed me: «You are worthy, O Lord, to take the scroll and break open its seals, for you were slain and with your blood you purchased for God those from every tribe and tongue, people and nation. You made them a kingdom of priests for God and they shall reign on earth» (Rv 5,9-10).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Nov 29 2011, 11:02

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Tuesday of the First week of Advent

Saint(s) of the day : St. Saturninus, Bishop and Martyr († 250)

Saint Alphonsus Liguori : "You have hidden these things from the wise and the learned [and] you have revealed them to the childlike"

Book of Isaiah 11:1-10.

But a shoot shall sprout from the stump of Jesse, and from his roots a bud shall blossom.
The spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him: a spirit of wisdom and of understanding, A spirit of counsel and of strength, a spirit of knowledge and of fear of the LORD,
and his delight shall be the fear of the LORD. Not by appearance shall he judge, nor by hearsay shall he decide,
But he shall judge the poor with justice, and decide aright for the land's afflicted. He shall strike the ruthless with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall slay the wicked.
Justice shall be the band around his waist, and faithfulness a belt upon his hips.
Then the wolf shall be a guest of the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; The calf and the young lion shall browse together, with a little child to guide them.
The cow and the bear shall be neighbors, together their young shall rest; the lion shall eat hay like the ox.
The baby shall play by the cobra's den, and the child lay his hand on the adder's lair.
There shall be no harm or ruin on all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be filled with knowledge of the LORD, as water covers the sea.
On that day, The root of Jesse, set up as a signal for the nations, The Gentiles shall seek out, for his dwelling shall be glorious.

Psalms 72(71):1.7-8.12-13.17.
Of Solomon.
That abundance may flourish in his days, great bounty, till the moon be no more.
May he rule from sea to sea, from the river to the ends of the earth.
For he rescues the poor when they cry out, the oppressed who have no one to help.

He shows pity to the needy and the poor and saves the lives of the poor.
May his name be blessed forever; as long as the sun, may his name endure. May the tribes of the earth give blessings with his name; may all the nations regard him as favored.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 10:21-24.
At that very moment he rejoiced (in) the holy Spirit and said, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him."
Turning to the disciples in private he said, "Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.
For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Alphonsus Liguori (1696-1787), Bishop and Doctor of the Church
3rd Discourse for the Octave of Christmas

"You have hidden these things from the wise and the learned [and] you have revealed them to the childlike"
God has caused us to be born after the coming of Christ: what great thanks we owe him! For now redemption has been brought into effect by Jesus Christ, how much greater are the blessings we have received! Abraham, the patriarchs and prophets, all longed to see the Savior but they did not know this happiness. They wore out heaven, so to speak, with their sighs and pleas: «O heavens,» they cried, «like dew from above, like gentle rain let the skies drop down the Just One!... Send forth the Lamb, the Ruler of the land (Is 45,8; 16,1 Vg)... Then he will rule in our hearts and free us from the slavery in which we so wretchedly dwell. Show us, O Lord, your kindness and grant us your salvation (Ps 85[84],8).» Which is to say: «Make haste, most merciful God, and make your kindness rain down upon us by sending us the chief object of your promises, he who is to save us.» Such were the sighs, such the burning pleas of the saints before the coming of Christ and yet for four thousand years they were deprived the happiness of witnessing his birth.

This happiness was reserved for us, but what are we doing about it? What gain do we draw from it? Let us learn how to love this most loving Savior now that he is here and has freed us from the hands of our enemies, now that he has delivered us from eternal death at the price of his life... and has opened paradise, now that he has furnished us with so many sacraments and with such powerful help so that we can love and serve him in peace in this life and be happy for ever in the next... O my soul, how truly ungrateful you are if you do not love your God, this God who wanted to be shackled that you might be released from the chains of hell, weak to make you strong against your enemies, bowed down by suffering and sadness to wash your sins clean with his tears.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Nov 30 2011, 15:43

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Saint Andrew, apostle - Feast

Saint(s) of the day : St. Andrew, Apostle

Byzantine Liturgy: "Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men"

Letter to the Romans 10:9-18.

for, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.
For the scripture says, "No one who believes in him will be put to shame."
For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all, enriching all who call upon him.
For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
But how can they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone to preach?
And how can people preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring (the) good news!"
But not everyone has heeded the good news; for Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what was heard from us?"
Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.
But I ask, did they not hear? Certainly they did; for "Their voice has gone forth to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world."

Psalms 19(18):2-3.4-5.
The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder's craft.
One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge.
There is no word or sound; no voice is heard;
Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world. God has pitched there a tent for the sun;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 4:18-22.
As he was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter, and his brother Andrew, casting a net into the sea; they were fishermen.
He said to them, "Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men."
At once they left their nets and followed him.
He walked along from there and saw two other brothers, James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat, with their father Zebedee, mending their nets. He called them,
and immediately they left their boat and their father and followed him.

Commentary of the day :

Byzantine Liturgy
From Vespers for the 30th November

"Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men"
When you heard the voice of the Forerunner..., when the Word became flesh and brought the Gospel of salvation to earth, you stepped forward to follow him when you offered yourself to Him as his firstfruits, as a first gift to Him whom afterwards you would make known, and you pointed him out to your brother as our God (Jn 1,35-41): beseech him to save and enlighten our souls...

You abandon your fishing to fish for men with the line of preaching and the dragnet of faith. You rescued all peoples from the pit of error, O Andrew, brother of the leader of the choir of apostles, whose voice resounds to teach the whole wide world. O come, enlighten all those who celebrate the sweetness of your memory, all those whose lives are lost in darkness...

Andrew, the first to be called of your disciples, has shared your Passion, O Lord, and in death he also made himself one like you. With your cross he fished from the depths of ignorance those who were lost there from former times that he might bring them back to you. Therefore, Good Lord, we sing to you: by his intercession give peace to our souls...

O Andrew, rejoice!, who everywhere declare the glory of our God like the eloquent heavens (Ps 19[18],2). You were the first to answer Christ's call and became his close companion; imitating his kindness, you reflect his light on those who dwell in darkness. Therefore we celebrate your holy feast, singing: «Through all the earth their voice resounds, and to the ends of the world, their message» (Ps 19[18],5).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Dec 01 2011, 13:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 01 December 2011

Thursday of the First week of Advent

Saint(s) of the day : Blessed brother Charles of Jesus, Priest (1858-1916), St. Eligius, Bishop († 665)

Blessed John Henry Newman : "Only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven... will enter the kingdom of heaven"

Book of Isaiah 26:1-6.
On that day they will sing this song in the land of Judah: "A strong city have we; he sets up walls and ramparts to protect us.
Open up the gates to let in a nation that is just, one that keeps faith.
A nation of firm purpose you keep in peace; in peace, for its trust in you."
Trust in the LORD forever! For the LORD is an eternal Rock.
He humbles those in high places, and the lofty city he brings down; He tumbles it to the ground, levels it with the dust.
It is trampled underfoot by the needy, by the footsteps of the poor.

Psalms 118(117):1.8-9.19-21.25-27a.
Give thanks to the LORD, who is good, whose love endures forever.
Better to take refuge in the LORD than to put one's trust in mortals.
Better to take refuge in the LORD than to put one's trust in princes.
Open the gates of victory; I will enter and thank the LORD.

This is the LORD'S own gate, where the victors enter.
I thank you for you answered me; you have been my savior.
LORD, grant salvation! LORD, grant good fortune!
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. We bless you from the LORD'S house.

The LORD is God and has given us light. Join in procession with leafy branches up to the horns of the altar.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 7:21.24-27.
Jesus said to his disciples: «Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.
The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.
And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand.
The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined."

Commentary of the day :

Blessed John Henry Newman (1801-1890), priest, founder of a religious community, theologian
Sermon « Watching », PPS vol. 4, no.22

"Only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven... will enter the kingdom of heaven"
Year passes after year silently; Christ's coming is ever nearer than it was. O that, as He comes nearer earth, we may approach nearer heaven! O, my brethren, pray Him to give you the heart to seek Him in sincerity. Pray Him to make you in earnest... Pray Him to give you what Scripture calls "an honest and good heart," or "a perfect heart" (Lk 8,15; Ps 101[100],2), and, without waiting, begin at once to obey Him with the best heart you have. Any obedience is better than none...

You have to seek His face (Ps 28[27],8); obedience is the only way of seeking Him. All your duties are obediences... To do what He bids is to obey Him, and to obey Him is to approach Him. Every act of obedience is an approach,—an approach to Him who is not far off, though He seems so, but close behind this visible screen of things which hides Him from us. He is behind this material framework; earth and sky are but a veil going between Him and us; the day will come when He will rend that veil, and show Himself to us. And then, according as we have waited for Him, will He recompense us. If we have forgotten Him, He will not know us; but "blessed are those servants whom the Lord, when He cometh, shall find watching» (Lk 12,37)... May this be the portion of every one of us! It is hard to attain it; but it is woeful to fail. Life is short; death is certain; and the world to come is everlasting.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Fri Dec 02 2011, 18:04

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 02 December 2011

Friday of the First week of Advent

Saint(s) of the day : St. Bibiana, Virgin and Martyr (4th century)

Saint Augustine : "Their eyes were opened"

Book of Isaiah 29:17-24.

But a very little while, and Lebanon shall be changed into an orchard, and the orchard be regarded as a forest!
On that day the deaf shall hear the words of a book; And out of gloom and darkness, the eyes of the blind shall see.
The lowly will ever find joy in the LORD, and the poor rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
For the tyrant will be no more and the arrogant will have gone; All who are alert to do evil will be cut off,
those whose mere word condemns a man, Who ensnare his defender at the gate, and leave the just man with an empty claim.
Therefore thus says the LORD, the God of the house of Jacob, who redeemed Abraham: Now Jacob shall have nothing to be ashamed of, nor shall his face grow pale.
When his children see the work of my hands in his midst, They shall keep my name holy; they shall reverence the Holy One of Jacob, and be in awe of the God of Israel.
Those who err in spirit shall acquire understanding, and those who find fault shall receive instruction.

Psalms 27(26):1.4.13-14.
Of David The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? The LORD is my life's refuge; of whom am I afraid?
One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, To gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.
But I believe I shall enjoy the LORD'S goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the LORD!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 9:27-31.
And as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed (him), crying out, "Son of David, have pity on us!"
When he entered the house, the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I can do this?" "Yes, Lord," they said to him.
Then he touched their eyes and said, "Let it be done for you according to your faith."
And their eyes were opened. Jesus warned them sternly, "See that no one knows about this."
But they went out and spread word of him through all that land.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 18 ; PL 38, 128 (©Friends of Henry Ashworth)

"Their eyes were opened"
«Our God will come openly and will not keep silent» (Ps 50[49],3 Vg). The first coming of Christ the Lord, God's Son and our God, was in obscurity; the second will be in sight of the whole world. When he came in obscurity no one recognized him but his own servants; when he comes openly he will be known by both good people and bad. When he came in obscurity, it was to be judged; when he comes openly it will be to judge. He was silent at his trial, as the prophet foretold: «He was like a sheep led to the slaughter, like a lamb before his shearers. He did not open his mouth» (Is 53,7). But, «Our God will come openly; our God will come and will not keep silence»...

Nowadays, good people and bad enjoy this world's so-called happiness; good people and bad suffer from what are deemed this world's misfortunes. Those whose lives are geared to the present rather than the future are impressed by the fact that this world's blessings and sufferings fall to the lot of good and bad without distinction. If wealth is their ambition, they see it being enjoyed not only by decent folk, but also by people of the worst kind. If they are in dread of poverty and all the other miseries of this world, they also see that the good and the bad both suffer from them. Therefore they say to themselves, "God does not see» (Ps 94[93],7); he does not care about human affairs, he exercises no control over them. On the contrary; he has sent us into the abyss of this world, and simply abandoned us to its sufferings. He shows no sign of his providence. Consequently, seeing no evidence of anyone being called to account, such people hold God's commands in derision...

If God always gave sentence here and now, there would be nothing reserved for the Day of Judgment. That is why much is kept for that day. But in order to put the fear of God into those whose cases are deferred, and so convert them, some judgments are made here and now. For it is clear that God takes no pleasure in condemning. His desire is to save, and he bears patiently with evil people in order to make them good.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next