PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:48

DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Tuesday, 08 September 2009
The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Feast

Today the Church celebrates : The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Feast

Saint Andrew of Crete : Today is the dawn of our salvation

Book of Micah 5:1-4.

But you, Bethlehem-Ephrathah too small to be among the clans of Judah, From you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel; Whose origin is from of old, from ancient times. (Therefore the Lord will give them up, until the time when she who is to give birth has borne, And the rest of his brethren shall return to the children of Israel.) He shall stand firm and shepherd his flock by the strength of the LORD, in the majestic name of the LORD, his God; And they shall remain, for now his greatness shall reach to the ends of the earth; he shall be peace. If Assyria invades our country and treads upon our land, We shall raise against it seven shepherds, eight men of royal rank;

Psalms 13:6.

I trust in your faithfulness. Grant my heart joy in your help, That I may sing of the LORD, "How good our God has been to me!"

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 1:1-16.18-23.

The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham became the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers. Judah became the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar. Perez became the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab. Amminadab became the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab. Boaz became the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth. Obed became the father of Jesse, Jesse the father of David the king. David became the father of Solomon, whose mother had been the wife of Uriah. Solomon became the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, Abijah the father of Asaph. Asaph became the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, Joram the father of Uzziah. Uzziah became the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, Ahaz the father of Hezekiah. Hezekiah became the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amos, Amos the father of Josiah. Josiah became the father of Jechoniah and his brothers at the time of the Babylonian exile. After the Babylonian exile, Jechoniah became the father of Shealtiel, Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel, Zerubbabel the father of Abiud. Abiud became the father of Eliakim, Eliakim the father of Azor, Azor the father of Zadok. Zadok became the father of Achim, Achim the father of Eliud, Eliud the father of Eleazar. Eleazar became the father of Matthan, Matthan the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary. Of her was born Jesus who is called the Messiah. Now this is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child through the holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly. Such was his intention when, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home. For it is through the holy Spirit that this child has been conceived in her. She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel, which means "God is with us."

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Saint Andrew of Crete (660-740), monk and Bishop
Homily 1 for the Nativity of the Holy Mother of God; PG 97, 805 (trans. Breviary)

Today is the dawn of our salvation

We are no longer to be enslaved by the elemental spirits of the world, as the apostle Paul says, or held in the yoke of slavery to the letter of the law (Col 2,8 ; Rom 7,6). This is the summary of the benefits of Christ for us; this is the unveiling of the mystery; this is nature made new: God is made man, and human nature assumed by God is deified. But so radiant, so glorious a visitation of God to us needed some prelude of joy to introduce to us the great gift of salvation. The present feast is such: the prelude is the birth of the Mother of God, and the concluding act is the union which is destined between the Word and human nature.

A virgin is now born..., and is made ready to be mother of God, the king of all for ever... A double gain will be ours: we shall be led towards the truth, and we shall be led away from a life of slavery to the letter of the law. How will this be? Clearly, inasmuch as the shadow yields to the presence of the light, and grace introduces freedom in place of the letter. The present feast stands on the border between these: it joins us to the truth instead of signs and figures, and it brings in the new in place of the old.

Let the whole creation therefore sing praise and dance and unite to celebrate the glories of this day. Today let there be one common feast of those in heaven and those on earth. Let everything that is, in the world and above the world, join together in rejoicing. For today a shrine is built for the Creator of the universe. The creature is newly made ready as a divine dwelling for the Creator.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:48

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 09 September 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Peter Claver,Priest (1580-1654)

Isaac of Stella : "Blessed are you who weep now"

Letter to the Colossians 3:1-11.

If then you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Think of what is above, not of what is on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ your life appears, then you too will appear with him in glory. Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry. Because of these the wrath of God is coming (upon the disobedient). By these you too once conducted yourselves, when you lived in that way. But now you must put them all away: anger, fury, malice, slander, and obscene language out of your mouths. Stop lying to one another, since you have taken off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed, for knowledge, in the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all and in all.

Psalms 145(144):2-3.10-11.12-13.

Every day I will bless you; I will praise your name forever.
Great is the LORD and worthy of high praise; God's grandeur is beyond understanding.
All your works give you thanks, O LORD and your faithful bless you.
They speak of the glory of your reign and tell of your great works,
Making known to all your power, the glorious splendor of your rule.
Your reign is a reign for all ages, your dominion for all generations. The LORD is trustworthy in every word, and faithful in every work.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:20-26.

And raising his eyes toward his disciples he said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours. Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who are now weeping, for you will laugh. Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude and insult you, and denounce your name as evil on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice and leap for joy on that day! Behold, your reward will be great in heaven. For their ancestors treated the prophets in the same way. But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. But woe to you who are filled now, for you will be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will grieve and weep. Woe to you when all speak well of you, for their ancestors treated the false prophets in this way.

Commentary of the day :

Isaac of Stella (?-c.1171), Cistercian monk
Sermon 2 for All Saints, 13-20

"Blessed are you who weep now"

"Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted" (Mt 5:5). By this saying the Lord wants us to understand that the path of joy lies in tears. It is through desolation one goes to consolation; in losing one's life that one finds it; in forsaking it that one possesses it; in hating it that one loves it; in despising it that one keeps it (cf. Mt 16,24f.). If you would know and have the mastery over yourself, enter within yourself and do not seek yourself without... Return to yourself, you sinner, return to where you are, to your heart ... Will not the one who returns to himself discover himself to be far away, like the prodigal son, in a region of unlikeness, in a foreign land, where he sits and weeps at the memory of his father and his native country? (Lk 15,17) ...

"Adam, where are you? "(Genesis 3,9) Perhaps still in the shadows, so as not to see yourself, you are sewing leaves together in a vain desire to cover your shame, looking at what is around you and what belongs to you .. Look inside, look at yourself ... Return within yourself, you sinner, return to your soul. See and weep for this soul subject to vanity and restlessness who cannot set himself free from his captivity ... It is clear, my brethren, that we live outside ourselves, we are forgetful of ourselves whenever we fritter our lives away in empty pursuits or distractions decked out with trifles. That is why Wisdom is more concerned to invite us to the house of repentance than the house of feasting, that is to say to call back into himself the man outside himself, saying: "Blessed are they that mourn" and in another passage: "Woe to you who laugh now."

My brethren, let us groan in the presence of the Lord whose goodness moves him to forgive; let us turn to him "with fasting, weeping and mourning " (Joel 2,12) so that one day his ... consolation may delight our souls. Blessed indeed are those who weep now, not because they are weeping but because they shall be comforted. Weeping is the way, blessedness the consolation.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:49

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 10 September 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Nicholas of Tolentino, Confessor (+ 1310)

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta : "Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return"

Letter to the Colossians 3:12-17.

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection. And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Psalms 150(149):1-2.3-4.5-6.

Hallelujah! Praise God in his holy sanctuary; give praise in the mighty dome of heaven.
Give praise for his mighty deeds, praise him for his great majesty.
Give praise with blasts upon the horn, praise him with harp and lyre.
Give praise with tambourines and dance, praise him with flutes and strings.
Give praise with crashing cymbals, praise him with sounding cymbals.
Let everything that has breath give praise to the LORD! Hallelujah!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:27-38.

But to you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. To the person who strikes you on one cheek, offer the other one as well, and from the person who takes your cloak, do not withhold even your tunic. Give to everyone who asks of you, and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. For if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same. If you lend money to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit (is) that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, and get back the same amount. But rather, love your enemies and do good to them, and lend expecting nothing back; then your reward will be great and you will be children of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as (also) your Father is merciful. Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you."

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997), founder of the Missionary Sisters of Charity
No Greater Love

"Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return"

Perhaps in an apartment or house next to yours there lives a blind man who would welcome a visit from you to read the newspaper to him. Perhaps there is a family that is in need of something of small importance to you, something as simple as looking after their child for half an hour. There are so many little things that are so small that a lot of people forget them.

Don't think have to be a simpleton to do the cooking. Don't think that sitting, standing, coming and going, and all that you do is not important to God.

God does not ask you how many books you've read, how many miracles you've done. He asks you if you did your best for his sake. Can you say in all sincerity: "I did my best»? Even if the best should be a failure, it must be our best. If you're really in love with Christ, no matter how unimportant your work is, it will be better done, from your heart. Your work will bear witness to your love. You can wear yourself out at your work, you can even kill yourself at it, but until it is mixed with love, it is of no value.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:50

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 11 September 2009
Friday of the Twenty-third week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Paphnutius, Bishop (4th century)

Saint Augustine : The splinter and the beam

First Letter to Timothy 1:1-2.12-14.

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our savior and of Christ Jesus our hope, to Timothy, my true child in faith: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I am grateful to him who has strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he considered me trustworthy in appointing me to the ministry. I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and an arrogant man, but I have been mercifully treated because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief. Indeed, the grace of our Lord has been abundant, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Psalms 16(15):1-2.5.7-8.11.

A miktam of David. Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge
I say to the Lord, you are my Lord, you are my only good.
LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you have made my destiny secure.
I bless the LORD who counsels me; even at night my heart exhorts me.
I keep the LORD always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.
You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 6:39-42.

And he told them a parable, "Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher. Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own? How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,' when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You hypocrite! Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter in your brother's eye.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount, 19,63 (©Fathers of the Church)

The splinter and the beam

The Lord in this passage warns us against rash and unjust judgement. He wants us to act with a heart that is single and intent on God alone. Because there are many things about which it would be rash to pass judgement since we do not know with what kind of a heart they are done. For the most part, those who readily judge and condemn are those who love to find fault and to condemn rather than to reprove and correct (and this is the vice of pride or envy)... So if, for instance, someone sins through anger, you would reprove him through hatred. There is as much difference between anger and hatred as there is between a speck and a beam. For hatred is an inveterate anger which, in time, has come to such a pitch that it may aptly be called a beam. Even though you are angry with someone, you may nevertheless wish them to amend. But if you hate someone, you cannot wish them to change for the better... First rid yourself of hatred, and then you will immediately be able to correct the person you love.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 13 September 2009
Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Saint Teresa-Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] : "Let him take up his cross, and follow me"

Book of Isaiah 50:4-9.

The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue, That I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them. Morning after morning he opens my ear that I may hear; And I have not rebelled, have not turned back. I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; My face I did not shield from buffets and spitting. The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame. He is near who upholds my right; if anyone wishes to oppose me, let us appear together. Who disputes my right? Let him confront me. See, the Lord GOD is my help; who will prove me wrong? Lo, they will all wear out like cloth, the moth will eat them up.

Psalms 116(114):1-2.3-4.5-6.8-9.

I love the LORD, who listened to my voice in supplication,
Who turned an ear to me on the day I called.
I was caught by the cords of death; the snares of Sheol had seized me; I felt agony and dread.
Then I called on the name of the LORD, "O LORD, save my life!"
Gracious is the LORD and just; yes, our God is merciful.
The LORD protects the simple; I was helpless, but God saved me.
For my soul has been freed from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling.
I shall walk before the LORD in the land of the living.

Letter of James 2:14-18.

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead. Indeed someone might say, "You have faith and I have works." Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 8:27-35.

Now Jesus and his disciples set out for the villages of Caesarea Philippi. Along the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" They said in reply, "John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others one of the prophets." And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said to him in reply, "You are the Messiah." Then he warned them not to tell anyone about him. He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days. He spoke this openly. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do." He summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Teresa-Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] (1891-1942), Carmelite, martyr, co-patron of Europe
Love of the Cross, 24/11/1934 (©Institute of Carmelite Studies)

"Let him take up his cross, and follow me"

Being one with Christ is our sanctity, and progressively becoming one with him our happiness on earth, the love of the cross in no way contradicts being a joyful child of God. Helping Christ carry his cross fills one with a strong and pure joy, and those who may and can do so, the builders of God's kingdom, are the most authentic children of God. And so those who have a predilection for the way of the cross by no means deny that Good Friday is past and that the work of salvation has been accomplished. Only those who are saved, only children of grace, can in fact be bearers of Christ's cross. Only in union with the divine Head does human suffering take an expiatory power.

To suffer and to be happy although suffering, to have one's feet on the earth, to walk on the dirty and rough paths of this earth and yet to be enthroned with Christ at the Father's right hand, to laugh and cry with the children of this world and ceaselessly sing the praises of God with the choirs of angels - this is the life of the Christian until the morning of eternity breaks forth.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 14 September 2009
The Exaltation of the Holy Cross - Feast

THE EXALTATION OF THE HOLY CROSS , feast
Today the Church celebrates : , St. Maternus, Bishop of Cologne (+ c. 325)

Pope Benedict XVI: "He gave himself up to death and by his resurrection he destroyed death and restored life" (Eucharistic Prayer IV)

Book of Numbers 21:4-9.

From Mount Hor they set out on the Red Sea road, to by-pass the land of Edom. But with their patience worn out by the journey, the people complained against God and Moses, "Why have you brought us up from Egypt to die in this desert, where there is no food or water? We are disgusted with this wretched food!" In punishment the LORD sent among the people saraph serpents, which bit the people so that many of them died. Then the people came to Moses and said, "We have sinned in complaining against the LORD and you. Pray the LORD to take the serpents from us." So Moses prayed for the people, and the LORD said to Moses, "Make a saraph and mount it on a pole, and if anyone who has been bitten looks at it, he will recover." Moses accordingly made a bronze serpent and mounted it on a pole, and whenever anyone who had been bitten by a serpent looked at the bronze serpent, he recovered.

Psalms 78(77):1-2.34-35.36-37.38.

A maskil of Asaph. Attend, my people, to my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth in story, drawing lessons from of old.
When he slew them, they began to seek him; they again inquired of their God.
They remembered that God was their rock, God Most High, their redeemer.
But they deceived him with their mouths, lied to him with their tongues.
Their hearts were not constant toward him; they were not faithful to his covenant.
But God is merciful and forgave their sin; he did not utterly destroy them. Time and again he turned back his anger, unwilling to unleash all his rage.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 3:13-17.

No one has gone up to heaven except the one who has come down from heaven, the Son of Man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life." For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

Commentary of the day :

Pope Benedict XVI
Homily the Paschal Vigil, 07/04/2007 (©Libreria Editrice Vaticana)

"He gave himself up to death and by his resurrection he destroyed death and restored life" (Eucharistic Prayer IV)

In the Creed we say about Christ's journey that he «descended into hell»... The liturgy applies to Jesus' descent into the night of death the words of Psalm 23[24]: «Lift up your heads, O gates; be lifted up, O ancient doors!» The gates of death are closed, no one can return from there. There is no key for those iron doors. But Christ has the key. His Cross opens wide the gates of death, the stern doors. They are barred no longer. His Cross, his radical love, is the key that opens them. The love of the One who, though God, became man in order to die – this love has the power to open those doors. This love is stronger than death.

The Easter icons of the Oriental Church show how Christ enters the world of the dead. He is clothed with light, for God is light. «The night is bright as the day, the darkness is as light» (cf. Ps 138[139]12). Entering the world of the dead, Jesus bears the stigmata, the signs of his passion: his wounds, his suffering, have become power: they are love that conquers death. He meets Adam and all the men and women waiting in the night of death. As we look at them, we can hear an echo of the prayer of Jonah: «Out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice» (Jon 2:2).

In the incarnation, the Son of God became one with human beings – with Adam. But only at this moment, when he accomplishes the supreme act of love by descending into the night of death, does he bring the journey of the incarnation to its completion. By his death he now clasps the hand of Adam, of every man and woman who awaits him, and brings them to the light.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Sep 15 2009, 17:51

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 15 September 2009
Our Lady of Sorrows - Memorial

Today the Church celebrates : Our Lady of Sorrows, memorial

Rupert of Deutz : "Behold, your mother."

Letter to the Hebrews 5:7-9.

In the days when he was in the flesh, he offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered; and when he was made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him,

Psalms 31(30):2-6.15-16.20.

In you, LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice deliver me;
incline your ear to me; make haste to rescue me! Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to save me.
You are my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead and guide me.
Free me from the net they have set for me, for you are my refuge.
Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, LORD, faithful God.
But I trust in you, LORD; I say, "You are my God."
My times are in your hands; rescue me from my enemies, from the hands of my pursuers.
How great is your goodness, Lord, stored up for those who fear you. You display it for those who trust you, in the sight of all the people.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 19:25-27.

Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary of Magdala. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son." Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother." And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.

Commentary of the day :

Rupert of Deutz (c.1075-1130), Benedictine monk
Commentary on Saint Johns Gospel, 13 ; PL 169, 789

"Behold, your mother."

Woman, this is your son. This is your mother.» By what right is the disciple whom Jesus loved the son of the Lord's mother? By what right is she his mother? By the fact that, without pain, she brought into the world the salvation of us all when she gave birth in the flesh to the God-man. But now she is in labor with great pain as she stands at the foot of the cross.

At the hour of his Passion, the Lord himself rightly compared the apostles to a woman in childbirth when he said: «When a woman is in labor she is in anguish because a child is born into the world» (cf. Jn 16,21). How much more, then, might such a son compare such a mother, the mother standing at the foot of his cross, to a woman in labor? What am I saying? «Compare»? She is indeed truly a woman and truly a mother and, at this hour, she is truly experiencing the pains of childbirth. When her son was born she did not experience the anguish of giving birth in pain as other women do; it is now that she is suffering, that she is crucified, that she experiences sorrow like a woman in labor, because her hour has come ( Jn 16,21; cf.13,1; 17,1)...

When this hour has passed, when the sword of sorrow has completely pierced her soul in labor (Lk 2,35), then no more shall she «remember the pain because a child has been born into the world» – the new man who renews the entire human race and reigns for ever over the whole world, truly born, beyond all suffering, immortal, the firstborn from the dead. If the Virgin has thus brought the salvation of us all into the world, in her son's Passion, then she is indeed the mother of us all.
Back to top Go down
RINGO STARR
Haligi ng Konek
 Haligi ng Konek

Date Joined : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Sep 16 2009, 12:45

thanks binabasa ko naman... sana araw araw may ganito.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Sep 17 2009, 12:49

sensya na bro ha..kung minsan kz nakkaligtaan ko magpost dito sa busynezz ng lola mo..hihi..
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Sep 17 2009, 12:50

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 16 September 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : , Saint Cyprian, Bishop, Martyr and Saint Cornelius, Pope and Martyr

Saint Bernard : The ignorance of those who will not repent

First Letter to Timothy 3:14-16.

I am writing you about these matters, although I hope to visit you soon. But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth. Undeniably great is the mystery of devotion, Who was manifested in the flesh, vindicated in the spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed to the Gentiles, believed in throughout the world, taken up in glory.

Psalms 111(110):1-2.3-4.5-6.

Hallelujah. I will praise the LORD with all my heart in the assembled congregation of the upright.
Great are the works of the LORD, to be treasured for all their delights.
Majestic and glorious is your work, your wise design endures forever.
You won renown for your wondrous deeds; gracious and merciful is the LORD.
You gave food to those who fear you, mindful of your covenant forever.
You showed powerful deeds to your people, giving them the lands of the nations.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 7:31-35.

Then to what shall I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? They are like children who sit in the marketplace and call to one another, 'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance. We sang a dirge, but you did not weep.' For John the Baptist came neither eating food nor drinking wine, and you said, 'He is possessed by a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking and you said, 'Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is vindicated by all her children."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bernard (1091-1153), Cistercian monk and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 38 on the Song of Songs (©Cistercian publications)

The ignorance of those who will not repent

The Apostle Paul says that there are some who have no knowledge of God (1Cor 15,34). My opinion is that all those who lack knowledge of God are those who refuse to turn to him. I am certain that they refuse because they imagine this kindly posed God to be harsh and severe, this merciful God to be callous and inflexible, this lovable God to be cruel and oppressive. So it is that wickedness plays false to itself, setting up for itself an image that does not represent him.

What you afraid of, you men of little faith? That he will not pardon your sins? But with his own hands he has nailed them to the cross. That you are used to soft living and your tastes are fastidious? But he is aware of our weakness. That a prolonged habit of sinning binds you like a chain? But the Lord loosens the shackles of prisoners (Ps 145,7). Or perhaps angered by the enormity and frequency of your sins he is slow to extend a helping hand? But where sin abounded, grace became superabundant (Rom 5,20). Are you worried about clothing and food and other bodily necessities so that you hesitate to give up your possessions? But he knows that you need all these things (Mt 6,32). What more can you wish? What else is there to hold you back from the way of salvation? This is what I say: you do not know God, yet you will not believe what we have heard. I should like you to believe those whom experience has taught.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Sep 17 2009, 12:51

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 17 September 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Robert Bellarmine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (1542-1621)

Saint Bernard : "She has shown great love"

First Letter to Timothy 4:12-16.

Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. Until I arrive, attend to the reading, exhortation, and teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was conferred on you through the prophetic word with the imposition of hands of the presbyterate. Be diligent in these matters, be absorbed in them, so that your progress may be evident to everyone. Attend to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in both tasks, for by doing so you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.

Psalms 111(110):7-8.9.10.

The works of your hands are right and true, reliable all your decrees,
Established forever and ever, to be observed with loyalty and care.
You sent deliverance to your people, ratified your covenant forever; holy and awesome is your name.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; prudent are all who live by it. Your praise endures forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 7:36-50.

A Pharisee invited him to dine with him, and he entered the Pharisee's house and reclined at table. Now there was a sinful woman in the city who learned that he was at table in the house of the Pharisee. Bringing an alabaster flask of ointment, she stood behind him at his feet weeping and began to bathe his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them, and anointed them with the ointment. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, that she is a sinner." Jesus said to him in reply, "Simon, I have something to say to you." "Tell me, teacher," he said. Two people were in debt to a certain creditor; one owed five hundred days' wages and the other owed fifty. Since they were unable to repay the debt, he forgave it for both. Which of them will love him more?" Simon said in reply, "The one, I suppose, whose larger debt was forgiven." He said to him, "You have judged rightly." Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? When I entered your house, you did not give me water for my feet, but she has bathed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing my feet since the time I entered. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my feet with ointment. So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little." He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." The others at table said to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" But he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Bernard (1091-1153), Cistercian monk and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 7 on the Song of Songs

"She has shown great love"

"Let him kiss me," she says, "with the kiss of his mouth" (Sg 1,1). Who is speaking? The Bride. But why "Bride"? She is the soul which thirsts for God. And to whom does she speak. To her God... For no names can be found as sweet as those in which the Word and the soul exchange affections, as Bridegroom and Bride, for to such everything is common. Nothing is the property of one and not the other, nothing is held separately. They share one inheritance, one table, one house, one bed, one flesh. For this she leaves her father and her mother and clings to her husband and they two are one flesh (Gn 2,24)...

So then love especially and chiefly belongs to those who are married and it is not inappropriate to call the loving soul a Bride. For she who asks a kiss feels love. She does not ask for freedom or payment or an inheritance or learning, but for a kiss, in the manner of a most chaste bride, who sighs for holy love; and she cannot disguise the flame which is so evident...

She loves most chastely who seeks him whom she loves and not some other thing which belongs to him. She loves in a holy way, because she does not love in fleshly desire but in purity of spirit. She loves ardently, because she is drunk with love so that she cannot see his majesty. What? He it is "who looks on the earth and causes it to tremble" (Ps 103,32). And she asks him for a kiss? Is she drunk? Indeed she is drunk with love for God!... Oh, what force of love! What great confidence of spirit! What freedom! What is more evident than that perfect love casts out fear? (1Jn 4,18).
Back to top Go down
***JESSICA***
Magiting ng Konek
Magiting ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Thu Sep 17 2009, 13:52

Thanks...... for sharing the words of God.....God bless.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.tagged.com/jocyjeck2007
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 10:23

SORRY..d ko na na update to... waaaaaaaaaaaa..pasaway ako..huhuh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 18 September 2009
Friday of the Twenty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Saint Thomas of Villanova (+1555), Bishop

John-Paul II: "Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women"

First Letter to Timothy 6:2-12.

Those whose masters are believers must not take advantage of them because they are brothers but must give better service because those who will profit from their work are believers and are beloved. Whoever teaches something different and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the religious teaching is conceited, understanding nothing, and has a morbid disposition for arguments and verbal disputes. From these come envy, rivalry, insults, evil suspicions, and mutual friction among people with corrupted minds, who are deprived of the truth, supposing religion to be a means of gain. Indeed, religion with contentment is a great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, just as we shall not be able to take anything out of it. If we have food and clothing, we shall be content with that. Those who want to be rich are falling into temptation and into a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires, which plunge them into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all evils, and some people in their desire for it have strayed from the faith and have pierced themselves with many pains. But you, man of God, avoid all this. Instead, pursue righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience, and gentleness. Compete well for the faith. Lay hold of eternal life, to which you were called when you made the noble confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Psalms 49(48):6-7.8-10.17-18.19-20.

Why should I fear in evil days, when my wicked pursuers ring me round,
Those who trust in their wealth and boast of their abundant riches?
One cannot redeem oneself, pay to God a ransom.
Too high the price to redeem a life; one would never have enough
To stay alive forever and never see the pit.
Do not fear when others become rich, when the wealth of their houses grows great.
When they die they will take nothing with them, their wealth will not follow them down.
When living, they congratulate themselves and say: "All praise you, you do so well."
But they will join the company of their forebears, never again to see the light.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 8:1-3.

Afterward he journeyed from one town and village to another, preaching and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, Joanna, the wife of Herod's steward Chuza, Susanna, and many others who provided for them out of their resources.

Commentary of the day :

John-Paul II, Pope from 1978 to 2005
Mulieris Dignitatem, § 16 (©Libreria Editrice Vaticana)

"Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women"

From the beginning of Christ's mission, women show to him and to his mystery a special sensitivity which is characteristic of their femininity. It must also be said that this is especially confirmed in the Paschal Mystery, not only at the Cross but also at the dawn of the Resurrection. The women are the first at the tomb. They are the first to find it empty. They are the first to hear: "He is not here. He has risen, as he said" (Mt 28:6). They are the first to embrace his feet (cf. Mt 28:9). They are also the first to be called to announce this truth to the Apostles (cf. Mt 28:1-10; Lk 24:8-11).

The Gospel of John (cf. also Mk 16: 9) emphasizes the special role of Mary Magdalene. She is the first to meet the Risen Christ... Hence she came to be called "the apostle of the Apostles". Mary Magdalene was the first eyewitness of the Risen Christ, and for this reason she was also the first to bear witness to him before the Apostles.

This event, in a sense, crowns all that has been said previously about Christ entrusting divine truths to women as well as men. One can say that this fulfilled the words of the Prophet: "I will pour out my spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy" (Jl 3:1). On the fiftieth day after Christ's Resurrection, these words are confirmed once more in the Upper Room in Jerusalem, at the descent of the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete (cf. Act 2:17). Everything that has been said so far about Christ's attitude to women confirms and clarifies, in the Holy Spirit, the truth about the equality of man and woman.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 10:25

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 19 September 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Januarius, Bishop and Martyr (+305)

Saint John Chrysostom : "Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear."

First Letter to Timothy 6:13-16.

I charge (you) before God, who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus, who gave testimony under Pontius Pilate for the noble confession, to keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ that the blessed and only ruler will make manifest at the proper time, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, and whom no human being has seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal power. Amen.

Psalms 100:2.3.4.5.

worship the LORD with cries of gladness; come before him with joyful song.
Know that the LORD is God, our maker to whom we belong, whosepeople we are, God's well-tended flock.
Enter the temple gates with praise, its courts with thanksgiving. Give thanks to God, bless his name;
good indeed is the LORD, Whose love endures forever, whose faithfulness lasts through every age.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 8:4-15.

When a large crowd gathered, with people from one town after another journeying to him, he spoke in a parable. A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path and was trampled, and the birds of the sky ate it up. Some seed fell on rocky ground, and when it grew, it withered for lack of moisture. Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew with it and choked it. And some seed fell on good soil, and when it grew, it produced fruit a hundredfold." After saying this, he called out, "Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear." Then his disciples asked him what the meaning of this parable might be. He answered, "Knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been granted to you; but to the rest, they are made known through parables so that 'they may look but not see, and hear but not understand.' This is the meaning of the parable. The seed is the word of God. Those on the path are the ones who have heard, but the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts that they may not believe and be saved. Those on rocky ground are the ones who, when they hear, receive the word with joy, but they have no root; they believe only for a time and fall away in time of trial. As for the seed that fell among thorns, they are the ones who have heard, but as they go along, they are choked by the anxieties and riches and pleasures of life, and they fail to produce mature fruit. But as for the seed that fell on rich soil, they are the ones who, when they have heard the word, embrace it with a generous and good heart, and bear fruit through perseverance.

Commentary of the day :

Saint John Chrysostom (c.345-407), priest at Antioch then Bishop of Constantinople, Doctor of the Church
Sermon no. 44 on St Matthew's Gospel ; PG 57, 467

"Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear."

If the seed dries up this is not due to the heat. Jesus did not say that it had dried up because of the heat but «for lack of roots». If the Word is choked it is not due to the thorns but to those who allowed them to spring up unhindered. With a little bit of willpower you could stop them from growing, you could put your riches to good use. That is why our Savior does not talk about «the world» but about «the cares of the world», not of «riches» but of «the lure of riches». So don't let us blame the things themselves but the perversion of our consciences...

You see, it isn't the gardener, it isn't the seed but it is the earth where it falls that provides the answer – namely, the dispositions of our hearts. And here, too, God's goodness towards us is very great in that, far from demanding an identical measure of virtue, he welcomes the firstcomers, does not turn away those who come second and makes room for the third...

So first of all we have to listen attentively to the Word, then faithfully commit it to memory, then be courageous, then despise wealth and free ourselves from love of all worldly goods. And if Jesus puts attentiveness to the Word in first place and before every other condition it is because this is the essential one. «How believe without hearing?» (Rom 10,14). And we, too, unless we attend to what we are told, will not know what duties to carry out. Only after this comes courage and scorn for worldly goods. To profit by these lessons, let us strengthen ourselves by every means, be attentive to the Word, push our roots down deeply and throw off all worldly care.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 10:27

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 19 September 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-fourth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Januarius, Bishop and Martyr (+305)

Saint John Chrysostom : "Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear."

First Letter to Timothy 6:13-16.

I charge (you) before God, who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus, who gave testimony under Pontius Pilate for the noble confession, to keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ that the blessed and only ruler will make manifest at the proper time, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, and whom no human being has seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal power. Amen.

Psalms 100:2.3.4.5.

worship the LORD with cries of gladness; come before him with joyful song.
Know that the LORD is God, our maker to whom we belong, whosepeople we are, God's well-tended flock.
Enter the temple gates with praise, its courts with thanksgiving. Give thanks to God, bless his name;
good indeed is the LORD, Whose love endures forever, whose faithfulness lasts through every age.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 8:4-15.

When a large crowd gathered, with people from one town after another journeying to him, he spoke in a parable. A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path and was trampled, and the birds of the sky ate it up. Some seed fell on rocky ground, and when it grew, it withered for lack of moisture. Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew with it and choked it. And some seed fell on good soil, and when it grew, it produced fruit a hundredfold." After saying this, he called out, "Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear." Then his disciples asked him what the meaning of this parable might be. He answered, "Knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been granted to you; but to the rest, they are made known through parables so that 'they may look but not see, and hear but not understand.' This is the meaning of the parable. The seed is the word of God. Those on the path are the ones who have heard, but the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts that they may not believe and be saved. Those on rocky ground are the ones who, when they hear, receive the word with joy, but they have no root; they believe only for a time and fall away in time of trial. As for the seed that fell among thorns, they are the ones who have heard, but as they go along, they are choked by the anxieties and riches and pleasures of life, and they fail to produce mature fruit. But as for the seed that fell on rich soil, they are the ones who, when they have heard the word, embrace it with a generous and good heart, and bear fruit through perseverance.

Commentary of the day :

Saint John Chrysostom (c.345-407), priest at Antioch then Bishop of Constantinople, Doctor of the Church
Sermon no. 44 on St Matthew's Gospel ; PG 57, 467

"Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear."

If the seed dries up this is not due to the heat. Jesus did not say that it had dried up because of the heat but «for lack of roots». If the Word is choked it is not due to the thorns but to those who allowed them to spring up unhindered. With a little bit of willpower you could stop them from growing, you could put your riches to good use. That is why our Savior does not talk about «the world» but about «the cares of the world», not of «riches» but of «the lure of riches». So don't let us blame the things themselves but the perversion of our consciences...

You see, it isn't the gardener, it isn't the seed but it is the earth where it falls that provides the answer – namely, the dispositions of our hearts. And here, too, God's goodness towards us is very great in that, far from demanding an identical measure of virtue, he welcomes the firstcomers, does not turn away those who come second and makes room for the third...

So first of all we have to listen attentively to the Word, then faithfully commit it to memory, then be courageous, then despise wealth and free ourselves from love of all worldly goods. And if Jesus puts attentiveness to the Word in first place and before every other condition it is because this is the essential one. «How believe without hearing?» (Rom 10,14). And we, too, unless we attend to what we are told, will not know what duties to carry out. Only after this comes courage and scorn for worldly goods. To profit by these lessons, let us strengthen ourselves by every means, be attentive to the Word, push our roots down deeply and throw off all worldly care.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:05

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 22 September 2009
Tuesday of the Twenty-fifth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : The Theban Legion, Martyrs (c.287)

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] : "My mother and my brothers"

Book of Ezra 6:7-8.12.14-20.

Let the governor and the elders of the Jews continue the work on that house of God; they are to rebuild it on its former site. I also issue this decree concerning your dealing with these elders of the Jews in the rebuilding of that house of God: From the royal revenue, the taxes of West-of-Euphrates, let these men be repaid for their expenses, in full and without delay. And may the God who causes his name to dwell there overthrow every king or people who may undertake to alter this or to destroy this house of God in Jerusalem. I, Darius, have issued this decree; let it be carefully executed." The elders of the Jews continued to make progress in the building, supported by the message of the prophets, Haggai and Zechariah, son of Iddo. They finished the building according to the command of the God of Israel and the decrees of Cyrus and Darius (and of Artaxerxes, king of Persia). They completed this house on the third day of the month Adar, in the sixth year of the reign of King Darius. The Israelites--priests, Levites, and the other returned exiles--celebrated the dedication of this house of God with joy. For the dedication of this house of God, they offered one hundred bulls, two hundred rams, and four hundred lambs, together with twelve he-goats as a sin-offering for all Israel, in keeping with the number of the tribes of Israel. Finally, they set up the priests in their classes and the Levites in their divisions for the service of God in Jerusalem, as is prescribed in the book of Moses. The exiles kept the Passover on the fourteenth day of the first month. The Levites, every one of whom had purified himself for the occasion, sacrificed the Passover for the rest of the exiles, for their brethren the priests, and for themselves.

Psalms 122(121):1-2.3-5.

A song of ascents. Of David. I rejoiced when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD."
And now our feet are standing within your gates, Jerusalem.
Jerusalem, built as a city, walled round about.
Here the tribes have come, the tribes of the LORD, As it was decreed for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
Here are the thrones of justice, the thrones of the house of David.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 8:19-21.

Then his mother and his brothers came to him but were unable to join him because of the crowd. He was told, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside and they wish to see you." He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] (1891-1942), Carmelite, martyr, co-patron of Europe
Woman's position within the Church (©Institute of Carmelite Studies)

"My mother and my brothers"

In spite of the real organic oneness of head and body, the Church stands by the side of Christ like an independent person. Christ lived prior to all time and all humanity as Son of the eternal Father. Humankind came into being by the act of creation before Christ assumed its nature and entered into it. By entering into creation, he brought his divine life into it. From himself, he generated human nature anew, in that, through his redemption, he made humanity receptive to His grace and fulfilled it by grace. The Church is that humanity newly created and redeemed through Christ.

The original cell of all redeemed humanity is Mary, in whom purification and sanctification through Christ, and impregnation by the Holy Spirit, first took place. Before the Son of Man was born of the Virgin, the Son of God conceived of this very virgin as one full of grace, and He created the Church in and with her.

Every soul purified through baptism and raised to the state of grace is thereby conceived through Christ and for his sake. Yet the soul is conceived in and born through the Church... The Church is thus the mother of all the redeemed. But it is so because of its most intimate union with Christ, and because it stands at his side as the Spouse of Christ and cooperates with him in his work, the redemption of humanity.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:17

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 23 September 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-fifth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St Pio da Pietrelcina, Capuchin Priest (1887-1968), St. Thecla, Virgin & Martyr (1st century)

Saint Hilary : "They went from village to village proclaiming the good news "

Book of Ezra 9:5-9.

Then, at the time of the evening sacrifice, I rose in my wretchedness, and with cloak and mantle torn I fell on my knees, stretching out my hands to the LORD, my God. I said: "My God, I am too ashamed and confounded to raise my face to you, O my God, for our wicked deeds are heaped up above our heads and our guilt reaches up to heaven. From the time of our fathers even to this day great has been our guilt, and for our wicked deeds we have been delivered over, we and our kings and our priests, to the will of the kings of foreign lands, to the sword, to captivity, to pillage, and to disgrace, as is the case today. "And now, but a short time ago, mercy came to us from the LORD, our God, who left us a remnant and gave us a stake in his holy place; thus our God has brightened our eyes and given us relief in our servitude. For slaves we are, but in our servitude our God has not abandoned us; rather, he has turned the good will of the kings of Persia toward us. Thus he has given us new life to raise again the house of our God and restore its ruins, and has granted us a fence in Judah and Jerusalem.

Tob. 13:2.3-4.5.8.

For he scourges and then has mercy; he casts down to the depths of the nether world, and he brings up from the great abyss. No one can escape his hand.
Praise him, you Israelites, before the Gentiles, for though he has scattered you among them,
he has shown you his greatness even there. Exalt him before every living being, because he is the Lord our God, our Father and God forever.
He scourged you for your iniquities, but will again have mercy on you all. He will gather you from all the Gentiles among whom you have been scattered.
Let all men speak of his majesty, and sing his praises in Jerusalem."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:1-6.

He summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal (the sick). He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there. And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them." Then they set out and went from village to village proclaiming the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers, Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Psalm 65, §19-20 ; CSEL 22, 261

"They went from village to village proclaiming the good news "

What is this «sound of praise» (Ps 66[65],8) we are to proclaim? Surely this: «He has given life to the souls» of believers (v.9). For God has granted us constancy and perseverance in professing our faith by the apostles' preaching and martyrs' witness, and preaching about the Kingdom of Heaven has traversed the earth in every direction as if by strides. Indeed, «their message has spread to the ends of the world» (Ps 19[18],5). And elsewhere the Holy Spirit declares the splendor of this spiritual course: «How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings glad tidings, announcing peace» (Is 52,7). This, then, is the sound of God's praises that our proclamation should make known, as the psalmist bears witness: «He gave life to my soul and did not allow my foot to slip» (LXX). For indeed, the apostles were not deterred from the course of their preaching by fear of human threats, and the firmness of their footsteps, soundly set, were not allowed to slip from the path of faith...

Nevertheless, after saying: «He has not let my feet slip», the psalmist adds: «You have tested us, O God! You have tried us as silver is tried» (v.10). Thus, this statement, which began in the singular, refers to several. For the Spirit is one and one the faith of believers, as it is written in the Acts if the Apostles: «The community of believers was of one heart and mind» (Acts 4,32)...

But what does this simile refer to: «They were tried as silver is tried»? As I understand it, if you try silver it is purely to separate off the scoria attached to unrefined matter... That is why, when God tries those who believe in him, it is not that he ignores their faith but because «endurance proves character» as the apostle Paul says (Rom 5,4). God puts them to the proof, not that he might know them, but that he might lead them to the perfect attainment of virtue. And so, purified by fire and separated from every alloy with the vices of the flesh, they can shine out with all the splendor of an innocence that has proved itself true.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:18

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 24 September 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-fifth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Our Lady of Mercy

Saint Clement of Rome: God granted us to see in Jesus his well-beloved Son

Book of Haggai 1:1-8.

On the first day of the sixth month in the second year of King Darius, the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai to the governor of Judah, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and to the high priest Joshua, son of Jehozadak: Thus says the LORD of hosts: This people says: "Not now has the time come to rebuild the house of the LORD." (Then this word of the LORD came through Haggai, the prophet:) Is it time for you to dwell in your own paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? Now thus says the LORD of hosts: Consider your ways! You have sown much, but have brought in little; you have eaten, but have not been satisfied; You have drunk, but have not been exhilarated; have clothed yourselves, but not been warmed; And he who earned wages earned them for a bag with holes in it. Thus says the LORD of hosts: Consider your ways! Go up into the hill country; bring timber, and build the house That I may take pleasure in it and receive my glory, says the LORD.

Psalms 149(148):1-2.3-4.5-6.9.

Hallelujah! Sing to the LORD a new song, a hymn in the assembly of the faithful.
Let Israel be glad in their maker, the people of Zion rejoice in their king.
Let them praise his name in festive dance, make music with tambourine and lyre.
For the LORD takes delight in his people, honors the poor with victory.
Let the faithful rejoice in their glory, cry out for joy at their banquet,
With the praise of God in their mouths, and a two-edged sword in their hands,
To execute the judgments decreed for them-- such is the glory of all God's faithful. Hallelujah!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:7-9.

Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was happening, and he was greatly perplexed because some were saying, "John has been raised from the dead"; others were saying, "Elijah has appeared"; still others, "One of the ancient prophets has arisen." But Herod said, "John I beheaded. Who then is this about whom I hear such things?" And he kept trying to see him.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Clement of Rome, Pope from 90 to about 100
Letter to the Corinthians ; universal prayer (©Ancient Christian Writers)

God granted us to see in Jesus his well-beloved Son

May the Creator of the universe
preserve undiminished
the established number of His elect in all the world
through His beloved Son Jesus Christ,

through him he has called us out of darkness into light,
out of ignorance into the full knowledge of the splendor of His name.
we place our hope in your name
who gave existence to all creation.

Open the eyes of our heart,
that we may know You
who alone art Highest among the highest
and Holy, reposing among the holy.

You humble the pride of the haughty,
destroy the designs of the heathens;
you raise up the lowly and humble the lofty,
make rich and make poor,
slay and bring to life.

Only Benefactor of spirits
and God of all flesh,
you gaze upon the deep,
behold the works of men,
Helper in danger,
Savior in despair,
Creator and Watcher of every spirit...

We beg you, O Master,
to be our Helper and Protector.
Deliver those of us who are in distress,
raise up the fallen,
show your face to those in need,
heal the infirm,
bring back the erring of your people,
feed the hungry,
ransom our prisoners,
set the infirm upon their feet,
comfort the fainthearted.
Let all the nations know
that you are the only God,
that Jesus Christ is your Son,
that we are your people and the sheep of your pasture.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:21

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 25 September 2009
Friday of the Twenty-fifth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Finbarr, Bishop (6th century)

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus : « 'And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.' He said this indicating the kind of death he would die» (Jn 12 ,32-33)

Book of Haggai 1:15.2:1-9.

on the twenty-fourth day of the sixth month. In the second year of King Darius, on the twenty-first day of the seventh month, the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai: Tell this to the governor of Judah, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and to the high priest Joshua, son of Jehozadak, and to the remnant of the people: Who is left among you that saw this house in its former glory? And how do you see it now? Does it not seem like nothing in your eyes? But now take courage, Zerubbabel, says the LORD, and take courage, Joshua, high priest, son of Jehozadak, And take courage, all you people of the land, says the LORD, and work! For I am with you, says the LORD of hosts. This is the pact that I made with you when you came out of Egypt, And my spirit continues in your midst; do not fear! For thus says the LORD of hosts: One moment yet, a little while, and I will shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. I will shake all the nations, and the treasures of all the nations will come in, And I will fill this house with glory, says the LORD of hosts. Mine is the silver and mine the gold, says the LORD of hosts. Greater will be the future glory of this house than the former, says the LORD of hosts; And in this place I will give you peace, says the LORD of hosts.

Psalms 43:1.2.3.4.

Grant me justice, God; defend me from a faithless people; from the deceitful and unjust rescue me.
You, God, are my strength. Why then do you spurn me? Why must I go about mourning, with the enemy oppressing me?
Send your light and fidelity, that they may be my guide And bring me to your holy mountain, to the place of your dwelling,
That I may come to the altar of God, to God, my joy, my delight. Then I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:18-22.

Once when Jesus was praying in solitude, and the disciples were with him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say that I am?" They said in reply, "John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, 'One of the ancient prophets has arisen.'" Then he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said in reply, "The Messiah of God." He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone. He said, "The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus (1873-1897), Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Poem 52 « L'Abandon est le fruit délicieux de l'amour »

« 'And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.' He said this indicating the kind of death he would die» (Jn 12 ,32-33)

There is on this earth
A marvelous Tree,
Its root, O mystery!
Is in Heaven...

In its shade
Never could anything cause pain.
One can rest there
Without fearing the storm.

Love is the name
Of this ineffable Tree,
And its delectable fruit
Is called Abandonment.

Even in this life this fruit
Gives me happiness.
My soul delights
In its divine fragrance.

It seems a treasure.
Putting it to my mouth,
It is sweeter still.

It gives me in this world
An ocean of peace.
In this deep peace
I rest forever...

Abandonment alone brings me
Into your arms, O Jesus.
It alone makes me live
The life of the Elect.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:24

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 26 September 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-fifth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Sts. Cosmas & Damian

Saint Thomas Aquinas : Our sign of glory : the Son of Man delivered into the hands of men

Book of Zechariah 2:5-9.14-15.

Again I raised my eyes and looked: there was a man with a measuring line in his hand. "Where are you going?" I asked. "To measure Jerusalem," he answered; "to see how great is its width and how great its length." Then the angel who spoke with me advanced, and another angel came out to meet him, and said to him, "Run, tell this to that young man: People will live in Jerusalem as though in open country, because of the multitude of men and beasts in her midst. But I will be for her an encircling wall of fire, says the LORD, and I will be the glory in her midst." Sing and rejoice, O daughter Zion! See, I am coming to dwell among you, says the LORD. Many nations shall join themselves to the LORD on that day, and they shall be his people, and he will dwell among you, and you shall know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you.

Jer. 31:10.11-12.13.

Hear the word of the LORD, O nations, proclaim it on distant coasts, and say: He who scattered Israel, now gathers them together, he guards them as a shepherd his flock.
The LORD shall ransom Jacob, he shall redeem him from the hand of his conqueror.
Shouting, they shall mount the heights of Zion, they shall come streaming to the LORD'S blessings: The grain, the wine, and the oil, the sheep and the oxen; They themselves shall be like watered gardens, never again shall they languish.
Then the virgins shall make merry and dance, and young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into joy, I will console and gladden them after their sorrows.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:43-45.

And all were astonished by the majesty of God. While they were all amazed at his every deed, he said to his disciples, Pay attention to what I am telling you. The Son of Man is to be handed over to men. But they did not understand this saying; its meaning was hidden from them so that they should not understand it, and they were afraid to ask him about this saying.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), Dominican theologian, Doctor of the Church
Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians, 6

Our sign of glory : the Son of Man delivered into the hands of men

«As for me,» says Saint Paul, «may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.» And Saint Augustine observes: «See how, where the wise of this world believed shame to lie, the apostle Paul finds riches; what seemed folly to them was wisdom and a sign of glory to him» (1Cor 1,17f.).

Now everyone assumes distinction from what seems important in their own eyes. People who think themselves great because of their riches glory in their goods. Those who see no glory but in Jesus Christ set their glory only in Jesus. Of these was the apostle Paul: «I live, yet no longer I, but Christ lives in me,» he said (Gal 2,20). That is why he does not boast in anything except Christ and, above all, the cross of Christ. For every motive one could possibly have is brought together in this.

There are people who vaunt their friendship with the great and powerful; Paul needs nothing but Christ's cross to disclose the unmistakable sign of God's friendship. «God proves his love for us in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us» (Rom 5,8). No, nothing manifests God's love for us so much as the death of Christ. «Oh inimitable testimony of love!» exclaims Saint Gregory: «To redeem the slave you delivered up the Son.»
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:25

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 27 September 2009
Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Vincent de Paul

Saint Augustine : "Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ... will surely not lose his reward"

Book of Numbers 11:25-29.

The LORD then came down in the cloud and spoke to him. Taking some of the spirit that was on Moses, he bestowed it on the seventy elders; and as the spirit came to rest on them, they prophesied. Now two men, one named Eldad and the other Medad, were not in the gathering but had been left in the camp. They too had been on the list, but had not gone out to the tent; yet the spirit came to rest on them also, and they prophesied in the camp. So, when a young man quickly told Moses, "Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp," Joshua, son of Nun, who from his youth had been Moses' aide, said, "Moses, my lord, stop them." But Moses answered him, "Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the people of the LORD were prophets! Would that the LORD might bestow his spirit on them all!"

Psalms 19:8.10.12-13.14.

The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple.
The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The statutes of the LORD are true, all of them just;
By them your servant is instructed; obeying them brings much reward.
Who can detect heedless failings? Cleanse me from my unknown faults.
But from willful sins keep your servant; let them never control me. Then shall I be blameless, innocent of grave sin.

Letter of James 5:1-6.

Come now, you rich, weep and wail over your impending miseries. Your wealth has rotted away, your clothes have become moth-eaten, your gold and silver have corroded, and that corrosion will be a testimony against you; it will devour your flesh like a fire. You have stored up treasure for the last days. Behold, the wages you withheld from the workers who harvested your fields are crying aloud, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and pleasure; you have fattened your hearts for the day of slaughter. You have condemned; you have murdered the righteous one; he offers you no resistance.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 9:38-43.45.47-48.

John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us." Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us. Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward. Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe (in me) to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna, where 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
3rd. Sermon on Psalm 36

"Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ... will surely not lose his reward"

Give of your earthly goods and receive eternal ones; give earth and receive heaven. But give to whom?... Hear Scripture telling you how you are to lend to the Lord himself: «He who has compassion on the poor lends to the Lord» (Prv 19,17). God most certainly is in no need of you, but another is in need; what you give to the one is received by another. For the poor has nothing with which to pay you back; he would like to but cannot find anything. The only thing he has is a kindly wish to pray for you. But when a poor man prays for you it is as though he were to say to God: «Lord, I've received a loan; be my security.» From then on, if the poor man you do business with is insolvent, he has a sound guarantee, for God says to you: «Give with assurance; I stand surety... It is I who will pay back, I who receive, I to whom you give.»

Do you really believe that God would say to you: «It is I who receive and to me that you give»? Yes indeed, if Christ is God – and of that there is no question. For he said: «I was hungry and you gave me food.» And when asked: «When did we see you hungry?», wanting to prove that he is indeed surety for the poor he answers on behalf of all his members... declaring, «Whatever you did for the least of my disciples, you have done to me» (Mt 25,34f.).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:26

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 28 September 2009
Monday of the Twenty-sixth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Wenceslaus, Martyr (+ 936)

John Cassian : « Learn from me» (Mt 11,29)

Book of Zechariah 8:1-8.

This word of the LORD of hosts came: Thus says the LORD of hosts: I am intensely jealous for Zion, stirred to jealous wrath for her. Thus says the LORD: I will return to Zion, and I will dwell within Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the LORD of hosts, the holy mountain. Thus says the LORD of hosts: Old men and old women, each with staff in hand because of old age, shall again sit in the streets of Jerusalem. The city shall be filled with boys and girls playing in her streets. Thus says the LORD of hosts: Even if this should seem impossible in the eyes of the remnant of this people, shall it in those days be impossible in my eyes also, says the LORD of hosts? Thus says the LORD of hosts: Lo, I will rescue my people from the land of the rising sun, and from the land of the setting sun. I will bring them back to dwell within Jerusalem. They shall be my people, and I will be their God, with faithfulness and justice.

Psalms 102(101):16-18.19-21.29.22-23.

The nations shall revere your name, LORD, all the kings of the earth, your glory,
Once the LORD has rebuilt Zion and appeared in glory,
Heeding the plea of the lowly, not scorning their prayer.
Let this be written for the next generation, for a people not yet born, that they may praise the LORD:
"The LORD looked down from the holy heights, viewed the earth from heaven,
To attend to the groaning of the prisoners, to release those doomed to die."
May the children of your servants live on; may their descendants live in your presence.
Then the LORD'S name will be declared on Zion, the praise of God in Jerusalem,
When all peoples and kingdoms gather to worship the LORD.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:46-50.

An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the greatest. Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by his side and said to them, "Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest." Then John said in reply, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow in our company." Jesus said to him, "Do not prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you."

Commentary of the day :

John Cassian (c.360-435), Founder of a monastery at Marseilles
Conferences, no.15, 6-7 (©Ancient Christian Writers; SC 54, p. 216)

« Learn from me» (Mt 11,29)

These men who were great in faith took no credit for themselves for being able to perform such marvels, because they acknowledged that they accomplished them not by their own virtuousness but by the Lord's mercy, and with the words of the apostles they rejected the human glory that arose from admiration for their miracles: 'Men brothers, why do you marvel at this, or why do you look at us if we had made this man walk by our own power or holiness?'
They considered that a person should not be praised for God's and marvels...

For there are many people, as has already been said before, who are corrupt in mind and reprobate in faith but who cast out demons and work mighty deeds in the name of the Lord. It is true that when the apostles were talking about these and saying: «Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us,» Christ replied to them at the time: «Do not forbid him, for the one who is not against you is for you.» Nonetheless, to those who say: «Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty deeds in your name?» it is testified that he will reply: «I never knew you. Depart from me, you workers of wickedness» (Mt 7,22).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:30

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 29 September 2009
Saint Michael, Saint Gabriel, and Saint Raphael, archangels - Feast

Today the Church celebrates : St. Raphael Archangel, St. Gabriel Archangel, St. Michael Archangel

Book of Daniel 7:9-10.13-14.

As I watched, Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire. A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened. As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him, He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

Psalms 138(137):1-5.

Of David. I thank you, LORD, with all my heart; before the gods to you I sing.
I bow low toward your holy temple; I praise your name for your fidelity and love. For you have exalted over all your name and your promise.
When I cried out, you answered; you strengthened my spirit.
All the kings of earth will praise you, LORD, when they hear the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the LORD: "How great is the glory of the LORD!"

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 1:47-51.

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, "Here is a true Israelite. There is no duplicity in him." Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, I saw you under the fig tree." Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel." Jesus answered and said to him, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this." And he said to him, "Amen, amen, I say to you, you will see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:31

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 30 September 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Jerome, Priest & Doctor of the Church (c. 340- c. 420)

Saint Ignatius Loyola : «Follow me »

Book of Nehemiah 2:1-8.

In the month Nisan of the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when the wine was in my charge, I took some and offered it to the king. As I had never before been sad in his presence, the king asked me, "Why do you look sad? If you are not sick, you must be sad at heart." Though I was seized with great fear, I answered the king: "May the king live forever! How could I not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been eaten out by fire?" The king asked me, "What is it, then, that you wish?" I prayed to the God of heaven and then answered the king: "If it please the king, and if your servant is deserving of your favor, send me to Judah, to the city of my ancestors' graves, to rebuild it." Then the king, and the queen seated beside him, asked me how long my journey would take and when I would return. I set a date that was acceptable to him, and the king agreed that I might go. I asked the king further: "If it please the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of West-of-Euphrates, that they may afford me safe-conduct till I arrive in Judah; also a letter for Asaph, the keeper of the royal park, that he may give me wood for timbering the gates of the temple-citadel and for the city wall and the house that I shall occupy." The king granted my requests, for the favoring hand of my God was upon me.

Psalms 137(136):1-2.3.4-5.6.

By the rivers of Babylon we sat mourning and weeping when we remembered Zion.
On the poplars of that land we hung up our harps.
There our captors asked us for the words of a song; Our tormentors, for a joyful song: "Sing for us a song of Zion!"
But how could we sing a song of the LORD in a foreign land?
If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand wither.
May my tongue stick to my palate if I do not remember you, If I do not exalt Jerusalem beyond all my delights.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:57-62.

As they were proceeding on their journey someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." And to another he said, "Follow me." But he replied, "(Lord,) let me go first and bury my father." But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." And another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home." (To him) Jesus said, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556), Founder of the Jesuits
Spiritual Exercises, 2nd.Week, 12th.Day (trans.Thomas Corbishley)

«Follow me »

The three ways of humility. The first way of humility is necessary for salvation. It consists in my subjecting and abasing myself as far as I can, so that I always obey the law of God our Lord, at least to this extent: even if men were to offer to make me Lord of the entire creation, even were my life threatened, I should yet not think of breaking any commandment, divine or human...

The second way of humility is more perfect than the first. It means that I so submit myself that I neither seek nor desire to be rich rather than poor, I do not try to be well thought of rather than disregarded, I do not want to live many years rather than few, where the service of our Lord God and my own salvation are equally promoted...

The third way of humility is the most perfect. Supposing that I have attained to the first two ways, and granted an equal measure of praise and glory to God, I desire to be poor along with Christ in poverty rather than rich, to be insulted along with Christ so grossly insulted, rather than to be thought well of: I would rather be thought a helpless fool for the sake of Christ who was so treated, rather than to be thought «wise and prudent» in the world's eyes (Mt 11,25).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:32

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 01 October 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-sixth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Therese of Lisieux, Virgin & Doctor of the Church (1873-1897)

Saint Ambrose : «Like lambs among wolves»

Book of Nehemiah 8:1-4.5-6.7-12.

Now when the seventh month came, the whole people gathered as one man in the open space before the Water Gate, and they called upon Ezra the scribe to bring forth the book of the law of Moses which the LORD prescribed for Israel. On the first day of the seventh month, therefore, Ezra the priest brought the law before the assembly, which consisted of men, women, and those children old enough to understand. Standing at one end of the open place that was before the Water Gate, he read out of the book from daybreak till midday, in the presence of the men, the women, and those children old enough to understand; and all the people listened attentively to the book of the law. Ezra the scribe stood on a wooden platform that had been made for the occasion; at his right side stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, and on his left Pedaiah, Mishael, Malchijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah, Meshullam. Ezra opened the scroll so that all the people might see it (for he was standing higher up than any of the people); and, as he opened it, all the people rose. Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God, and all the people, their hands raised high, answered, "Amen, amen!" Then they bowed down and prostrated themselves before the LORD, their faces to the ground. (The Levites Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, and Pelaiah explained the law to the people, who remained in their places.) Ezra read plainly from the book of the law of God, interpreting it so that all could understand what was read. Then (Nehemiah, that is, His Excellency, and) Ezra the priest-scribe (and the Levites who were instructing the people) said to all the people: "Today is holy to the LORD your God. Do not be sad, and do not weep"-for all the people were weeping as they heard the words of the law. He said further: "Go, eat rich foods and drink sweet drinks, and allot portions to those who had nothing prepared; for today is holy to our LORD. Do not be saddened this day, for rejoicing in the LORD must be your strength!" (And the Levites quieted all the people, saying, "Hush, for today is holy, and you must not be saddened.") Then all the people went to eat and drink, to distribute portions, and to celebrate with great joy, for they understood the words that had been expounded to them.

Psalms 19:8.9.10.11.

The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart. The command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye.
The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The statutes of the LORD are true, all of them just;
More desirable than gold, than a hoard of purest gold, Sweeter also than honey or drippings from the comb.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 10:1-12.

After this the Lord appointed seventy (-two) others whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit. He said to them, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest. Go on your way; behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves. Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals; and greet no one along the way. Into whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace to this household.' If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. Do not move about from one house to another. Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, cure the sick in it and say to them, 'The kingdom of God is at hand for you.' Whatever town you enter and they do not receive you, go out into the streets and say, 'The dust of your town that clings to our feet, even that we shake off against you.' Yet know this: the kingdom of God is at hand. I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom on that day than for that town.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Saint Luke's Gospel, 7, 44.59 (SC 52, p. 23-28)

«Like lambs among wolves»

As he sent out some of his disciples to the harvest Jesus said to them: «Behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves». Among animals these are indeed foes, yet the good shepherd has no dread of wolves where his flock is concerned: these disciples have not been sent out as prey but to spread grace. The good shepherd's care means that wolves cannot devise anything against the lambs. And so he sends them out that these words might be accomplished: «On that day the wolf and the lamb shall graze alike» (Is 65,25)...

Besides, the disciples who were sent out received an order not to carry a stick. And what is this stick if not the insignia of power, an instrument for avenging hurt? Thus, what our humble Lord decreed, his disciples would fulfil through the practice of humility. For he sent them to sow the faith, not by force but by instruction, not by exercising the strength of their power but by exalting the doctrine of humility. And he thought it good here to join humility to patience, as Peter bears witness: «When he was insulted Christ returned no insult; when struck he did not strike back in return» (1Pt 2,23).

What this amounts to saying is: «Be imitators of me; drop your desire for revenge; respond to the blows of arrogance, not by behaving badly in return but with a patience full of kindness. Nobody ought to imitate themselves the very things they would correct in others; gentleness causes far more severe blows to the insolent». Our Lord responded to just such a blow by saying: «When someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other» (Mt 5,39).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next