Ilaw ng Konek

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:32

DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Friday, 02 October 2009
The Guardian Angels, memorial

Today the Church celebrates : The Holy Guardian Angels

Saint John-Mary Vianney : "Their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father"

Book of Exodus 23:20-23.

"See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. Be attentive to him and heed his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority resides in him. If you heed his voice and carry out all I tell you, I will be an enemy to your enemies and a foe to your foes. "My angel will go before you and bring you to the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites; and I will wipe them out.

Psalms 91(90):1-2.3-4.5-6.10-11.

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the LORD, "My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust."
God will rescue you from the fowler's snare, from the destroying plague,
Will shelter you with pinions, spread wings that you may take refuge; God's faithfulness is a protecting shield.
You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day,
Nor the pestilence that roams in darkness, nor the plague that ravages at noon.
No evil shall befall you, no affliction come near your tent.
For God commands the angels to guard you in all your ways.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 18:1-5.10.

At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Saint John-Mary Vianney (1786-1859), priest, curé of Ars
Sermon for the feast of the Holy Guardian Angels

"Their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father"

My brethren, our most faithful friends are our guardian angels because they stay with us day and night, at all times and in all places; faith teaches us that we have them always at our side. That is why it was said to David: «No evil shall befall us... for to his angels the Lord has given command that they guard us in all our ways» (Ps 91[90],10-11). And to show us just how much care he has for us the prophet says that they bear us in their hands as a mother carries her child. Ah! It's because God foresees the innumerable dangers to which we are exposed while on earth, in the midst of so many enemies all seeking our fall. Yes, these are our good angels who console us in our trials, warn us when the devil is coming to tempt us, offer our prayers and all our good actions to God, assist us in our death and offer our souls to their sovereign judge...

Since the beginning of the world the interchange of angels with humans has been so frequent that Holy Scripture constantly refers to it... Almost all the patriarchs and prophets were instructed by angels concerning the Lord's wishes. And very often we even see God causing himself to be represented by angels. But are you going to tell me that if they could be seen we would have far greater trust? If it had been necessary for our soul's salvation the good God would have made them visible. But it matters little since, in our religion, we only have knowledge by faith in order that all our actions may have the more merit...

If you would like to know the number of the angels and their function I will tell you that they are without number. Some were created to honor Jesus Christ in his hidden life, suffering and glorious, or to be the guardians of men without ceasing, for all that, to rejoice in the divine presence. Others are occupied in contemplating God's perfections, or they watch over our preservation by providing us with all the means we need for our sanctification. Even though the good God is sufficient in himself yet he makes use, nonetheless, of the ministry of angels to rule over the world.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 03 October 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-sixth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Gerard of Brogne

Cardinal John Henry Newman : "Many prophets and kings desired to see what you see"

Book of Baruch 4:5-12.27-29.

Fear not, my people! Remember, Israel, You were sold to the nations not for your destruction; It was because you angered God that you were handed over to your foes. For you provoked your Maker with sacrifices to demons, to no-gods; You forsook the Eternal God who nourished you, and you grieved Jerusalem who fostered you. She indeed saw coming upon you the anger of God; and she said: "Hear, you neighbors of Zion! God has brought great mourning upon me, For I have seen the captivity that the Eternal God has brought upon my sons and daughters. With joy I fostered them; but with mourning and lament I let them go. Let no one gloat over me, a widow, bereft of many: For the sins of my children I am left desolate, because they turned from the law of God, Fear not, my children; call out to God! He who brought this upon you will remember you. As your hearts have been disposed to stray from God, turn now ten times the more to seek him; For he who has brought disaster upon you will, in saving you, bring you back enduring joy."

Psalms 69(68):33-35.36-37.

"See, you lowly ones, and be glad; you who seek God, take heart!
For the LORD hears the poor, does not spurn those in bondage.
Let the heavens and the earth sing praise, the seas and whatever moves in them!"
God will rescue Zion, rebuild the cities of Judah. God's servants shall dwell in the land and possess it;
it shall be the heritage of their descendants; those who love God's name shall dwell there.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 10:17-24.

The seventy (-two) returned rejoicing, and said, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name." Jesus said, "I have observed Satan fall like lightning from the sky. Behold, I have given you the power 'to tread upon serpents' and scorpions and upon the full force of the enemy and nothing will harm you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice because your names are written in heaven." At that very moment he rejoiced (in) the holy Spirit and said, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him." Turning to the disciples in private he said, "Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it."

Commentary of the day :

Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-1890), priest, Founder of a religious community, theologian
Meditations and Devotions: Part III, 2, 2 « Our Lord refuses sympathy »

"Many prophets and kings desired to see what you see"

Sympathy may be called an eternal law, for it is signified or rather transcendentally and archetypically fulfilled in the ineffable mutual love of the Divine Trinity. God, though infinitely One, has ever been Three. He ever has rejoiced in His Son and His Spirit, and they in Him... When, for our sakes, the Son came on earth and took our flesh, for thirty years He lived with Mary and Joseph and thus formed a shadow of the Heavenly Trinity on earth...

For in truth it was fitting that He who was to be the true High Priest, should thus, while He exercised His office for the whole race of man, be free from all human ties, and sympathies of the flesh... So, in the old time, Melchisedech is described as without father or mother (Heb 7,3)... In like manner our Lord said to Mary, "What is between Me and thee?" (Jn 2,4). It was the setting apart of the sacrifice, the first ritual step of the Great Act which was to be solemnly performed for the salvation of the world... Nor did He, as time went on, give up Mary and Joseph only. There still remained to Him invisible attendants and friends, and He had their sympathy, but them He at length gave up also.

From the time of His birth we may suppose He held communion with the spirits of the Old Fathers, who had prepared His coming and prophesied of it. On one occasion He was seen all through the night, conversing with Moses and Elias, and that conversation was about His Passion. What a field of thought is thus opened to us, of which we know how little. When He passed whole nights in prayer... Who could support and (so to say) re-invigorate the Divine Lord better than that "praiseworthy number" of Prophets of which He was the fulfilment and antitype? Then He might talk with Abraham who saw His day (Jn 8,56), or... David and Jeremias; or with those who spoke most of Him, as Isaias and Daniel. And here was a fund of great sympathy. When He came up to Jerusalem to suffer, He might be met in spirit by all the holy priests, who had offered sacrifices in shadow of Him
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 04 October 2009
Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Francis of Assisi

Vatican Council II: "Let the children come to me"

Book of Genesis 2:18-24.

The LORD God said: "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him." So the LORD God formed out of the ground various wild animals and various birds of the air, and he brought them to the man to see what he would call them; whatever the man called each of them would be its name. The man gave names to all the cattle, all the birds of the air, and all the wild animals; but none proved to be the suitable partner for the man. So the LORD God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. The LORD God then built up into a woman the rib that he had taken from the man. When he brought her to the man, the man said: "This one, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; This one shall be called 'woman,' for out of 'her man' this one has been taken." That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body.

Psalms 128(127):1-2.3.4-5.6.

A song of ascents. Happy are all who fear the LORD, who walk in the ways of God.
What your hands provide you will enjoy; you will be happy and prosper:
Like a fruitful vine your wife within your home, Like olive plants your children around your table.
Just so will they be blessed who fear the LORD.
May the LORD bless you from Zion, all the days of your life That you may share Jerusalem's joy
and live to see your children's children. Peace upon Israel!

Letter to the Hebrews 2:9-11.

but we do see Jesus "crowned with glory and honor" because he suffered death, he who "for a little while" was made "lower than the angels," that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. For it was fitting that he, for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the leader to their salvation perfect through suffering. He who consecrates and those who are being consecrated all have one origin. Therefore, he is not ashamed to call them "brothers,"

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 10:2-16.

The Pharisees approached and asked, "Is it lawful for a husband to divorce his wife?" They were testing him. He said to them in reply, "What did Moses command you?" They replied, "Moses permitted him to write a bill of divorce and dismiss her." But Jesus told them, "Because of the hardness of your hearts he wrote you this commandment. But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother (and be joined to his wife), and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate." In the house the disciples again questioned him about this. He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery." And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it." Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them.

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Declaration on Christian Education « Gravissimum Educationis », 3

"Let the children come to me"

Since parents have given children their life, they are bound by the most serious obligation to educate their offspring and therefore must be recognized as the primary and principal educators. This role in education is so important that only with difficulty can it be supplied where it is lacking. Parents are the ones who must create a family atmosphere animated by love and respect for God and man, in which the well-rounded personal and social education of children is fostered. Hence the family is the first school of the social virtues that every society needs.

It is particularly in the Christian family, enriched by the grace and office of the sacrament of matrimony, that children should be taught from their early years to have a knowledge of God according to the faith received in Baptism, to worship Him, and to love their neighbor. Here, too, they find their first experience of a wholesome human society and of the Church. Finally, it is through the family that they are gradually led to a companionship with their fellowmen and with the people of God. Let parents, then, recognize the inestimable importance a truly Christian family has for the life and progress of God's own people
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:34

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 05 October 2009
Monday of the Twenty-seventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Placid, Martyr (6th century)

Origen : Christ, the Good Samaritan

Book of Jonah 1:1-17.2:1.11.

This is the word of the LORD that came to Jonah, son of Amittai: "Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and preach against it; their wickedness has come up before me." But Jonah made ready to flee to Tarshish away from the LORD. He went down to Joppa, found a ship going to Tarshish, paid the fare, and went aboard to journey with them to Tarshish, away from the LORD. The LORD, however, hurled a violent wind upon the sea, and in the furious tempest that arose the ship was on the point of breaking up. Then the mariners became frightened and each one cried to his god. To lighten the ship for themselves, they threw its cargo into the sea. Meanwhile, Jonah had gone down into the hold of the ship, and lay there fast asleep. The captain came to him and said, "What are you doing asleep? Rise up, call upon your God! Perhaps God will be mindful of us so that we may not perish." Then they said to one another, "Come, let us cast lots to find out on whose account we have met with this misfortune." So they cast lots, and thus singled out Jonah. "Tell us," they said, "what is your business? Where do you come from? What is your country, and to what people do you belong?" "I am a Hebrew," Jonah answered them; "I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land." Now the men were seized with great fear and said to him, "How could you do such a thing!"--They knew that he was fleeing from the LORD, because he had told them.-- "What shall we do with you," they asked, "that the sea may quiet down for us?" For the sea was growing more and more turbulent. Jonah said to them, "Pick me up and throw me into the sea, that it may quiet down for you; since I know it is because of me that this violent storm has come upon you." Still the men rowed hard to regain the land, but they could not, for the sea grew ever more turbulent. Then they cried to the LORD: "We beseech you, O LORD, let us not perish for taking this man's life; do not charge us with shedding innocent blood, for you, LORD, have done as you saw fit." Then they took Jonah and threw him into the sea, and the sea's raging abated. Struck with great fear of the LORD, the men offered sacrifice and made vows to him. But the LORD sent a large fish, that swallowed Jonah; and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. Then the LORD commanded the fish to spew Jonah upon the shore.

Jonah 2:2.3.4.5.8.

From the belly of the fish Jonah said this prayer to the LORD, his God:
Out of my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me; From the midst of the nether world I cried for help, and you heard my voice.
For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the sea, and the flood enveloped me; All your breakers and your billows passed over me.
Then I said, "I am banished from your sight! yet would I again look upon your holy temple."
When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; My prayer reached you in your holy temple.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 10:25-37.

There was a scholar of the law who stood up to test him and said, "Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?" He said in reply, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." He replied to him, "You have answered correctly; do this and you will live." But because he wished to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" Jesus replied, "A man fell victim to robbers as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho. They stripped and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead. A priest happened to be going down that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. Likewise a Levite came to the place, and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight. He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction, 'Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.' Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers' victim?" He answered, "The one who treated him with mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Commentary of the day :

Origen (c.185-253), priest and theologian
Homilies on Saint Luke's Gospel, 34, 3.7-9; GCS 9, 201-202.204-205. (©Friends of Henry Ashworth)

Christ, the Good Samaritan

To interpret the parable of the Good Samaritan, one of the elders used to say that the man going down from Jerusalem to Jericho was Adam. He said Jerusalem was paradise, Jericho was the world, and the brigands were enemy powers. The priest was the law, the levite the prophets, and the Samaritan Christ. Adam's wounds were his disobedience, the animal that carried him was the body of the Lord... and the promised return of the Samaritan, according to this interpeter, was a figure of the Second Coming of the Savior...

This Samaritan bore our sins and suffered on our behalf; he carried the half dead man to the inn which takes in everyone, denying no one its help; in other words, to the Church. To this inn Jesus invites all when he says: «Come to me, all who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you new strength» After bringing in the man half dead the Samaritan did not immediately depart, but remained and dressed his wounds by night as well as by day, showing his concern and doing everything he could for him... This guardian of souls «who showed mercy to the man who fell into the hands of brigands» was a better neighbor to him than were either the law or the prophets, and he proved this more by deeds than by words.

Now the saying: «be imitators of me as I am of Christ» makes it clear that we can imitate Christ by showing mercy to those who have «fallen into the hands of brigands». We can go to them, bandage their wounds after pouring in oil and wine, place them on our own mount, and bear their burdens. And so the Son of God exhorts us to do these things, in words addressed not only to the teacher of the law but to all of us: «Go and do likewise.»
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:34

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 06 October 2009
Tuesday of the Twenty-seventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Bruno, Priest (c. 1030-1101)

Saint Augustine : Two women, two images of our life

Book of Jonah 3:1-10.

The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: "Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and announce to it the message that I will tell you." So Jonah made ready and went to Nineveh, according to the LORD'S bidding. Now Nineveh was an enormously large city; it took three days to go through it. Jonah began his journey through the city, and had gone but a single day's walk announcing, "Forty days more and Nineveh shall be destroyed," when the people of Nineveh believed God; they proclaimed a fast and all of them, great and small, put on sackcloth. When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, laid aside his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in the ashes. Then he had this proclaimed throughout Nineveh, by decree of the king and his nobles: "Neither man nor beast, neither cattle nor sheep, shall taste anything; they shall not eat, nor shall they drink water. Man and beast shall be covered with sackcloth and call loudly to God; every man shall turn from his evil way and from the violence he has in hand. Who knows, God may relent and forgive, and withhold his blazing wrath, so that we shall not perish." When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; he did not carry it out.

Psalms 130(129):1-2.3-4.7-8.

A song of ascents. Out of the depths I call to you, LORD;
Lord, hear my cry! May your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If you, LORD, mark our sins, Lord, who can stand?
But with you is forgiveness and so you are revered.
let Israel look for the LORD, For with the LORD is kindness, with him is full redemption,
And God will redeem Israel from all their sins.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 10:38-42.

As they continued their journey he entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary (who) sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me." The Lord said to her in reply, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 104 ; PL 38, 616

Two women, two images of our life

You already know, I believe, that these two women, both of whom were dear to our Lord, both worthy of his love, and both his disciples..., these two women, then, are an image of two forms of life: the life of this world and the life of the world to come; the life of work and the life of rest; the life of care and life in blessedness; life in time and life in eternity.

Two forms of life: let us reflect on them at greater length. Consider what this life here is composed of: I am not referring to a blameworthy life..., a life of debauchery and impiousness; no, what I'm talking about is a life of work, burdened by trials, troubles and temptations, of a life without blame, the life that was very much like that of Martha... Evil was wholly absent from this house, with Martha as with Mary - and if there had been any, our Lord's arrival would have dispersed it. And so, two women lived there, both of whom welcomed the Lord, two admirable, upright lives, one composed of work, the other of rest... One was a life of work but free from compromise, the hazard of a life devoted to action; the other was free from indolence, the hazard of a life of rest. There we have two lives and the very source of life...

Martha's life is our own world; Mary's life, the world we are waiting for. Let us live this one in uprightness so that we may gain the other in its fullness. What do we already possess of that life there?... At this moment, precisely, we are leading the life to come to a certain extent: you have gathered together, away from matters of business, apart from family cares, and are present there to listen. When you act like this, then you resemble Mary. And that's easier for you than for me who have to speak! What I'm saying, however, I'm drawing from Christ and this food is Christ's food. For he is the bread shared by all of us and, for this reason, I'm living in communion with you.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 07 2009, 11:35

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 07 October 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-seventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Our Lady of Rosary

: «Teach us to pray»

Book of Jonah 4:1-11.

But this was greatly displeasing to Jonah, and he became angry. "I beseech you, LORD," he prayed, "is not this what I said while I was still in my own country? This is why I fled at first to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger, rich in clemency, loathe to punish. And now, LORD, please take my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live." But the LORD asked, "Have you reason to be angry?" Jonah then left the city for a place to the east of it, where he built himself a hut and waited under it in the shade, to see what would happen to the city. And when the LORD God provided a gourd plant, that grew up over Jonah's head, giving shade that relieved him of any discomfort, Jonah was very happy over the plant. But the next morning at dawn God sent a worm which attacked the plant, so that it withered. And when the sun arose, God sent a burning east wind; and the sun beat upon Jonah's head till he became faint. Then he asked for death, saying, "I would be better off dead than alive." But God said to Jonah, "Have you reason to be angry over the plant?" "I have reason to be angry," Jonah answered, "angry enough to die." Then the LORD said, "You are concerned over the plant which cost you no labor and which you did not raise; it came up in one night and in one night it perished. And should I not be concerned over Nineveh, the great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot distinguish their right hand from their left, not to mention the many cattle?"

Psalms 86(85):3-4.5-6.9-10.

You are my God; pity me, Lord; to you I call all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant; to you, Lord, I lift up my soul.
Lord, you are kind and forgiving, most loving to all who call on you.
LORD, hear my prayer; listen to my cry for help.
All the nations you have made shall come to bow before you, Lord, and give honor to your name.
For you are great and do wondrous deeds; and you alone are God.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:1-4.

He was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples." He said to them, "When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread and forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us, and do not subject us to the final test."

Commentary of the day :

5th century homily wrongly attributed to Saint John Chrysostom, no.6 on prayer; PG 64, 461

«Teach us to pray»

The highest good of all is prayer, a familiar conversation with God. Prayer is a relationship with God and union with him. Just as our bodily eyes are lit up at the sight of light, so the soul that is directed towards God is illumined by his indescribable light. Prayer is not the consequence of our exterior posture but comes from the heart. It is not circumscribed by fixed times or moments but is a continuous activity, by night as much as by day. Don't let us be satisfied by turning our thoughts to God when we apply ourselves specifically to prayer, but also when absorbed in other occupations – such as caring for the poor or some other concern to do with good and useful work – it matters that we include in these the desire and remembrance of God so as to offer a sweet food to the Lord of the universe, seasoned with the salt of love for God. We can draw great profit from this all our life long if we set aside a good part of our time to it.

Prayer is the light of the soul, the true knowledge of God, the mediator between God and men. Through it the soul rises heavenwards and grasps our Lord in an indescribable embrace. Like a nursling for its mother, it cries to God in tears, thirsty for divine milk. It expresses it profound desires and accepts gifts surpassing all to be seen in the natural world. Prayer, in which we respectfully come before God, is joy to the heart, rest to the soul.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Oct 10 2009, 23:47

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 08 October 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-seventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Pelagia

Saint Hilary : "Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find"

Book of Malachi 3:13-20.

You have defied me in word, says the LORD, yet you ask, "What have we spoken against you?" You have said, "It is vain to serve God, and what do we profit by keeping his command, And going about in penitential dress in awe of the LORD of hosts? Rather must we call the proud blessed; for indeed evildoers prosper, and even tempt God with impunity." Then they who fear the LORD spoke with one another, and the LORD listened attentively; And a record book was written before him of those who fear the LORD and trust in his name. And they shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts, my own special possession, on the day I take action. And I will have compassion on them, as a man has compassion on his son who serves him. Then you will again see the distinction between the just and the wicked; Between him who serves God, and him who does not serve him. For lo, the day is coming, blazing like an oven, when all the proud and all evildoers will be stubble, And the day that is coming will set them on fire, leaving them neither root nor branch, says the LORD of hosts. But for you who fear my name, there will arise the sun of justice with its healing rays; And you will gambol like calves out of the stall

Psalms 1:1-2.3.4.6.

Happy those who do not follow the counsel of the wicked, Nor go the way of sinners, nor sit in company with scoffers.
Rather, the law of the LORD is their joy; God's law they study day and night.
They are like a tree planted near streams of water, that yields its fruit in season; Its leaves never wither; whatever they do prospers.
But not the wicked! They are like chaff driven by the wind.
The LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:5-13.

And he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,' and he says in reply from within, 'Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.' I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence. And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the holy Spirit to those who ask him?"

Commentary of the day :

Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers and Doctor of the Church
The Trinity, I, 37-38

"Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find"

How well I know, O God, all-powerful Father, that to offer myself to you in such a way that everything within me... speaks of you is the chief object of my life. You have granted me the gift of speech and it can bring me no greater reward than the honor of serving you and showing the world that ignores it and the heretic who denies it who you are, O Father of God's only Son. Yes, that is indeed my only wish! However, I am in great need of begging for the help of your mercy so that you may swell the sails of my faith, spread out for you, with the breath of your Spirit and may prompt me to preach everywhere your holy name. For it is was not in vain that you made this promise: «Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you».

Poor, we beg for what we lack. We will zealously apply ourselves to studying your prophets and apostles. We will knock at all the doors our minds find closed. But you alone can answer our prayer...; you alone can open this door we are knocking at. You will give encouragement to difficult beginnings, affirm our progress, and call us to share in the Spirit who guided your prophets and apostles. In this way we won't give their words a meaning different to the one they intended.

So grant us true understanding of the words, the light of intelligence, beauty of expression and faith in the truth. Grant us to speak what we believe...: that there is only one God, the Father, and one Lord, Jesus Christ.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Oct 10 2009, 23:48

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 09 October 2009
Friday of the Twenty-seventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Denis

Saint [Padre] Pio of Pietrelcina : The field of spiritual combat

Book of Joel 1:13-15.2:1-2.

Gird yourselves and weep, O priests! wail, O ministers of the altar! Come, spend the night in sackcloth, O ministers of my God! The house of your God is deprived of offering and libation. Proclaim a fast, call an assembly; Gather the elders, all who dwell in the land, Into the house of the LORD, your God, and cry to the LORD! Alas, the day! for near is the day of the LORD, and it comes as ruin from the Almighty. Blow the trumpet in Zion, sound the alarm on my holy mountain! Let all who dwell in the land tremble, for the day of the LORD is coming; Yes, it is near, a day of darkness and of gloom, a day of clouds and somberness! Like dawn spreading over the mountains, a people numerous and mighty! Their like has not been from of old, nor will it be after them, even to the years of distant generations.

Psalms 9(9A):2-3.6.16.8-9.

I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; I will declare all your wondrous deeds.
I will delight and rejoice in you; I will sing hymns to your name, Most High.
You rebuked the nations, you destroyed the wicked; their name you blotted out for all time
The nations fall into the pit they dig; in the snare they hide, their own foot is caught.
The LORD rules forever, has set up a throne for judgment.
It is God who governs the world with justice, who judges the peoples with fairness.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:15-26.

Some of them said, "By the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he drives out demons." Others, to test him, asked him for a sign from heaven. But he knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste and house will fall against house. And if Satan is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that it is by Beelzebul that I drive out demons. If I, then, drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your own people drive them out? Therefore they will be your judges. But if it is by the finger of God that (I) drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe. But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he takes away the armor on which he relied and distributes the spoils. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. When an unclean spirit goes out of someone, it roams through arid regions searching for rest but, finding none, it says, 'I shall return to my home from which I came.' But upon returning, it finds it swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and brings back seven other spirits more wicked than itself who move in and dwell there, and the last condition of that person is worse than the first."

Commentary of the day :

Saint [Padre] Pio of Pietrelcina (1887-1968), Capuchin
CE 33

The field of spiritual combat

At every moment of life the human soul is the field of combat between God and Satan. So it is essential that the soul allows free access to the Lord so that he can strengthen it on every side and with all kinds of weapons. Thus his light will be able to enlighten it so as to fight better against the darkness of error. Clothed with Christ (Gal 3,27), with his truth and righteousness, protected by the shield of faith and the word of God, it will overcome its enemies however strong they may be (Eph 6,13f.). Even so, however, to be clothed with Christ we must die to ourselves.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sat Oct 10 2009, 23:49

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 10 October 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-seventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Francis Borgia, St. Ghislain

Saint Peter Damian : Blessed are they who welcome the Word of God

Book of Joel 4:12-21.

Let the nations bestir themselves and come up to the Valley of Jehoshaphat; For there I will sit in judgment upon all the neighboring nations. Apply the sickle, for the harvest is ripe; Come and tread, for the wine press is full; The vats overflow, for great is their malice. Crowd upon crowd in the valley of decision; For near is the day of the LORD in the valley of decision. Sun and moon are darkened, and the stars withhold their brightness. The LORD roars from Zion, and from Jerusalem raises his voice; The heavens and the earth quake, but the LORD is a refuge to his people, a stronghold to the men of Israel. Then shall you know that I, the LORD, am your God, dwelling on Zion, my holy mountain; Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall pass through her no more. And then, on that day, the mountains shall drip new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk; And the channels of Judah shall flow with water: A fountain shall issue from the house of the LORD, to water the Valley of Shittim. Egypt shall be a waste, and Edom a desert waste, Because of violence done to the people of Judah, because they shed innocent blood in their land. But Judah shall abide forever, and Jerusalem for all generations. I will avenge their blood, and not leave it unpunished. The LORD dwells in Zion.

Psalms 97(96):1-2.5-6.11-12.

The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many islands be glad.
Cloud and darkness surround the Lord; justice and right are the foundation of his throne.
The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
The heavens proclaim God's justice; all peoples see his glory.
Light dawns for the just; gladness, for the honest of heart.
Rejoice in the LORD, you just, and praise his holy name.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:27-28.

While he was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed." He replied, "Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Peter Damian (1007-1072), hermit then Bishop, Doctor of the Church
Sermon 45, PL 144, 747

Blessed are they who welcome the Word of God

It is true of the Virgin Mary that she conceived Christ in her womb, but all who are chosen share in carrying him in their heart with love. Blessed, yes, very blessed the woman who carried Jesus in her womb for nine months (Lk 11:27). We too are blessed when we are mindful of carrying him constantly in our heart. Certainly, Christ's conception in Mary's womb was a great marvel, but it is no less of a marvel to see him become the guest of our heart. That is the meaning of John's testimony: «Here I stand knocking at the door. If anyone hears me calling and opens the door, I will enter his house and have supper with him, and he with me.» (Rev 3:20) ... Here again, my brothers, let us consider our dignity and our resemblance to Mary. The Virgin conceived Christ in her womb of flesh, and we carry him in the womb of our heart. Mary nourished Christ by giving his lips milk from her breast, and we can offer him a varied meal with the good works, which delight him.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Sun Oct 11 2009, 09:18

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 11 October 2009
Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Firminus, St. Tarachus and his Companions, Martyrs (+ 304)

Saint John Chrysostom : "You will have treasure in heaven"

Book of Wisdom 7:7-11.

Therefore I prayed, and prudence was given me; I pleaded and the spirit of Wisdom came to me. I preferred her to scepter and throne, And deemed riches nothing in comparison with her, nor did I liken any priceless gem to her; Because all gold, in view of her, is a little sand, and before her, silver is to be accounted mire. Beyond health and comeliness I loved her, And I chose to have her rather than the light, because the splendor of her never yields to sleep. Yet all good things together came to me in her company, and countless riches at her hands;

Psalms 90(89):12-13.14-15.16-17.

Teach us to count our days aright, that we may gain wisdom of heart.
Relent, O LORD! How long? Have pity on your servants!
Fill us at daybreak with your love, that all our days we may sing for joy.
Make us glad as many days as you humbled us, for as many years as we have seen trouble.
Show your deeds to your servants, your glory to their children.
May the favor of the Lord our God be ours. Prosper the work of our hands! Prosper the work of our hands!

Letter to the Hebrews 4:12-13.

Indeed, the word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart. No creature is concealed from him, but everything is naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must render an account.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 10:17-30.

As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up, knelt down before him, and asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus answered him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: 'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall not defraud; honor your father and your mother.'" He replied and said to him, "Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth." Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him, "You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to (the) poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!" The disciples were amazed at his words. So Jesus again said to them in reply, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to pass through (the) eye of (a) needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." They were exceedingly astonished and said among themselves, "Then who can be saved?" Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God." Peter began to say to him, "We have given up everything and followed you." Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come.

Commentary of the day :

Saint John Chrysostom (c.345-407), priest at Antioch then Bishop of Constantinople, Doctor of the Church
Sermon 63 on St Matthew ; PG 58,603

"You will have treasure in heaven"

Christ had said to the young man: «If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments» (Mt 19,17). He asks: «Which ones?», not at all to test him but because he imagines that there must be some further commandments for him that will win him life besides the commandments of the Law of Moses. It proved his eager desire. When Jesus had repeated the commandments of the Law, the young man said: «All these I have observed since my youth». Nor did he stop there; he asked: «What do I still lack?» (Mt 19,20), this being proof itself of his eager desire. It is no small-minded person who believes himself to be still lacking something and who finds the ideal put forward for attaining the object of his desire to be deficient.

And what will Christ say? He suggests something great. First of all he sets out the reward when he says: «If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me». Do you notice what a prize, what crowns he offers for this sporting pursuit?... To draw him he shows him a costly reward and leaves everything to his own judgement. Whatever might appear more difficult he leaves in shadow. Before speaking to him of conflicts and effort he shows him the reward: « If you wish to be perfect» he says: this is the glory and happiness!... «You will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me»: this is the reward, the wonderful reward of following Christ and being his companion and friend! That young man valued earthly riches; Christ counsels him to rid himself of them, not to reduce him to abject poverty but to make him even richer.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 12 2009, 14:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 12 October 2009
Monday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

In Canada : Thanksgiving Day
Today the Church celebrates : St. Wilfrid, Bishop (c.634-709), Our Lady of Pillar

Saint Gregory de Nyssa : « There is a greater than Solomon here»

Letter to the Romans 1:1-7.

Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised previously through his prophets in the holy scriptures, the gospel about his Son, descended from David according to the flesh, but established as Son of God in power according to the spirit of holiness through resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord. Through him we have received the grace of apostleship, to bring about the obedience of faith, for the sake of his name, among all the Gentiles, among whom are you also, who are called to belong to Jesus Christ; to all the beloved of God in Rome, called to be holy. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalms 98:1.2-4.

Sing a new song to the LORD, who has done marvelous deeds, Whose right hand and holy arm have won the victory.
The LORD has made his victory known; has revealed his triumph for the nations to see,
Has remembered faithful love toward the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the LORD, all the earth; break into song; sing praise.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:29-32.

While still more people gathered in the crowd, he said to them, "This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it, except the sign of Jonah. Just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. At the judgment the queen of the south will rise with the men of this generation and she will condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and there is something greater than Solomon here. At the judgment the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because at the preaching of Jonah they repented, and there is something greater than Jonah here.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory de Nyssa (c.335-395), monk and Bishop
Homily 1 on the Song of Songs (Migne 1992, p.40 rev.)

« There is a greater than Solomon here»

In the sacred text of the Song of Songs we shall find the soul clothed, in a sense, in the garment of a bride to prepare it for a pure and spiritual marriage with God that has nothing to do with the body. For He, «who wills everyone to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth» (I Tim. 2,4), shows us in this book the most perfect and glorious path of salvation, I mean, by way of love. For some are saved by fear, as for example, when we break off from sin because we have our eyes on the threatened punishment of Hell. There are others, too who live lives of virtue because of the rewards promised to the good; and these possess their goal not by charity but by their hope of reward.

But he who runs in spirit to reach perfection, casts out fear. For this is the attitude of a
slave, who does not stay with his master out of love... He loves with his «whole heart and soul and strength» (Mk 12,30) not the creatures that come from God but he who is the source of all good. This disposition should be in the souls of all of us, according to the words of Solomon...

Do you suppose I'm referring to Solomon, Bathsheba's son, who offered a thousand oxen on the mountain and who sinned by following the advice of the foreign woman? I am not. No, I am thinking of another Solomon who was also born of the seed of David according to the flesh, whose name was «peace». [the name 'Solomon' means «man of peace» (1 Ch 22,9)]. He is the true King of Israel, the builder of God's Temple, the possessor of universal knowledge. His wisdom is measureless; more, his essence is wisdom and truth; his name and his thoughts are perfectly divine, wholly sublime. Solomon was used by him as an instrument and he is the one who, through his voice, speaks to us first in Proverbs, then in Ecclesiastes, then in the Song of Songs. Thus he presents methodically and in order for our reflection the means of making progress towards perfection.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Oct 13 2009, 12:57

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 13 October 2009
Tuesday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Edward the Confessor

Letter to the Romans 1:16-25.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel. It is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: for Jew first, and then Greek. For in it is revealed the righteousness of God from faith to faith; as it is written, "The one who is righteous by faith will live." The wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against every impiety and wickedness of those who suppress the truth by their wickedness. For what can be known about God is evident to them, because God made it evident to them. Ever since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made. As a result, they have no excuse; for although they knew God they did not accord him glory as God or give him thanks. Instead, they became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless minds were darkened. While claiming to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for the likeness of an image of mortal man or of birds or of four-legged animals or of snakes. Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Psalms 19(18):2-3.4-5.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder's craft.
One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge.
There is no word or sound; no voice is heard;
Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world. God has pitched there a tent for the sun;

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:37-41.

After he had spoken, a Pharisee invited him to dine at his home. He entered and reclined at table to eat. The Pharisee was amazed to see that he did not observe the prescribed washing before the meal. The Lord said to him, "Oh you Pharisees! Although you cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish, inside you are filled with plunder and evil. You fools! Did not the maker of the outside also make the inside? But as to what is within, give alms, and behold, everything will be clean for you.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Wed Oct 14 2009, 12:07

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 14 October 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Callistus I

Sayings of the Desert Fathers : "Woe also to you ! You impose on people burdens hard to carry"

Letter to the Romans 2:1-11.

Therefore, you are without excuse, every one of you who passes judgment. For by the standard by which you judge another you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the very same things. We know that the judgment of God on those who do such things is true. Do you suppose, then, you who judge those who engage in such things and yet do them yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you hold his priceless kindness, forbearance, and patience in low esteem, unaware that the kindness of God would lead you to repentance? By your stubbornness and impenitent heart, you are storing up wrath for yourself for the day of wrath and revelation of the just judgment of God, who will repay everyone according to his works: eternal life to those who seek glory, honor, and immortality through perseverance in good works, but wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness. Yes, affliction and distress will come upon every human being who does evil, Jew first and then Greek. But there will be glory, honor, and peace for everyone who does good, Jew first and then Greek. There is no partiality with God.

Psalms 62(61):2-3.6-7.9.

My soul rests in God alone, from whom comes my salvation.
God alone is my rock and salvation, my secure height; I shall never fall.
My soul, be at rest in God alone, from whom comes my hope.
God alone is my rock and my salvation, my secure height; I shall not fall.
Trust God at all times, my people! Pour out your hearts to God our refuge! Selah

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:42-46.

Woe to you Pharisees! You pay tithes of mint and of rue and of every garden herb, but you pay no attention to judgment and to love for God. These you should have done, without overlooking the others. Woe to you Pharisees! You love the seat of honor in synagogues and greetings in marketplaces. Woe to you! You are like unseen graves over which people unknowingly walk." Then one of the scholars of the law said to him in reply, "Teacher, by saying this you are insulting us too." And he said, "Woe also to you scholars of the law! You impose on people burdens hard to carry, but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them.

Commentary of the day :

Sayings of the Desert Fathers (4th-5th centuries)
Systematic Collection, ch. 9 (SC 387, p. 427f.)

"Woe also to you ! You impose on people burdens hard to carry"

A brother who had sinned was dismissed from the church by the priest, and Abba Bessarion rose and went out with him, saying: «I, too, am a sinner»...

One of the brothers at Scete committed a sin. A council was held to which Abba Moses was called. But he refused to come. Then the priest sent someone to say to him: «Come; everyone is waiting for you». He stood up and came with a basket with a hole in it on his back which he filled with sand. And that is how he carried it. The others, coming out to meet him, said to him: «Father, what is this?» The old man said: «My sins are pouring out behind me and I do not see them, and am I coming today to judge the sins of another?» Hearing this they said nothing to that brother but forgave him.

Abba Joseph questioned Abba Poemen, saying: «Tell me how to become a monk». The old man said: «If you want to find rest in this life and in the world to come, say on every occasion: 'As for me, who am I? And judge no one'».

A brother questioned this same Abba Poemen, saying: «If I see a sin in my brother, is it better to hide it?» The old man said: «The moment we hide our brother's sin, God hides ours too; and the moment we reveal the sins of our brother, God also reveals ours».
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:31

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 15 October 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Teresa of Avila, Virgin and Doctor of the Church (1515-1582)

Severian of Gabala : «A blood for purification that speaks more eloquently than that of Abel » (Heb 12,24)

Letter to the Romans 3:21-30.

But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, though testified to by the law and the prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God. They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed, through the forbearance of God--to prove his righteousness in the present time, that he might be righteous and justify the one who has faith in Jesus. What occasion is there then for boasting? It is ruled out. On what principle, that of works? No, rather on the principle of faith. For we consider that a person is justified by faith apart from works of the law. Does God belong to Jews alone? Does he not belong to Gentiles, too? Yes, also to Gentiles, for God is one and will justify the circumcised on the basis of faith and the uncircumcised through faith.

Psalms 130(129):1-2.3-4.5-6.

A song of ascents. Out of the depths I call to you, LORD;
Lord, hear my cry! May your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If you, LORD, mark our sins, Lord, who can stand?
But with you is forgiveness and so you are revered.
I wait with longing for the LORD, my soul waits for his word.
My soul looks for the Lord more than sentinels for daybreak. More than sentinels for daybreak,

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 11:47-54.

Woe to you! You build the memorials of the prophets whom your ancestors killed. Consequently, you bear witness and give consent to the deeds of your ancestors, for they killed them and you do the building. Therefore, the wisdom of God said, 'I will send to them prophets and apostles; some of them they will kill and persecute' in order that this generation might be charged with the blood of all the prophets shed since the foundation of the world, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who died between the altar and the temple building. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be charged with their blood! Woe to you, scholars of the law! You have taken away the key of knowledge. You yourselves did not enter and you stopped those trying to enter." When he left, the scribes and Pharisees began to act with hostility toward him and to interrogate him about many things, for they were plotting to catch him at something he might say.

Commentary of the day :

Severian of Gabala (?-c.408), Bishop in Syria
Sermon on Caïn and Abel

«A blood for purification that speaks more eloquently than that of Abel » (Heb 12,24)

Cain and Abel both appeared to worship God with exactly the same rites, but in reality they made their offerings with very different dispositions. Those of the elder only seemed like a gift whereas those of the younger bore witness to his reverence and piety. From this arose feelings of jealousy..., and so Abel was murdered (Gen 4,3f.)...

In holy Abel I find the image of Christ. For indeed, our Savior is the supremely Righteous One... But amongst all the men of the Old Covenant Abel was the prince of righteousness... Besides, our Savior himself placed Abel at the head of the line of all the righteous when he said to the Jews: «Amen, I tell you, the blood of all the righteous shed since the beginning of the world will be charged to this generation, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar»...

Here is a wonderful thing: because he was the first to fight for justice, Abel had the honor of being the first to suffer for his piety. He is a true prefiguration of Christ who was put to death for truth's sake. The blood of Abel foretold the blood of Christ: it cried out from the earth (Gen 4,10). Our Lord's blood cries out too; but the blood of Abel was a supplication, the blood of Christ the reconciliation of the world... That is why the apostle Paul, recalling both of them, confesses the superiority of Christ's blood. He writes: «We have approached Mount Zion and the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and countless angels in festal gathering, and the assembly of the firstborn enrolled in heaven, and God the judge of all, and the spirits of the just made perfect, and Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and the sprinkled blood that speaks more eloquently than that of Abel» (Heb 12,22-24)... Yes, this blood speaks: it prays for sinners, intercedes for the world. The blood of Christ is truly for the purification of the world; the blood of Christ is our redemption.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:34

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 16 October 2009
Friday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Hedwig, Religious (1174-1243), St. Gerard Majella, Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, Virgin (1647-1690)

Jean-Pierre de Caussade : "Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid"

Letter to the Romans 4:1-8.

What then can we say that Abraham found, our ancestor according to the flesh? Indeed, if Abraham was justified on the basis of his works, he has reason to boast; but this was not so in the sight of God. For what does the scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." A worker's wage is credited not as a gift, but as something due. But when one does not work, yet believes in the one who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness. So also David declares the blessedness of the person to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not record."

Psalms 32(31):1-2.5.11.

Of David. A maskil. Happy the sinner whose fault is removed, whose sin is forgiven.
Happy those to whom the LORD imputes no guilt, in whose spirit is no deceit.
Then I declared my sin to you; my guilt I did not hide. I said, "I confess my faults to the LORD," and you took away the guilt of my sin. Selah
Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you just; exult, all you upright of heart.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:1-7.

Meanwhile, so many people were crowding together that they were trampling one another underfoot. He began to speak, first to his disciples, "Beware of the leaven--that is, the hypocrisy--of the Pharisees. There is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known. Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed on the housetops. I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body but after that can do no more. I shall show you whom to fear. Be afraid of the one who after killing has the power to cast into Gehenna; yes, I tell you, be afraid of that one. Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins? Yet not one of them has escaped the notice of God. Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows.

Commentary of the day :

Jean-Pierre de Caussade (1675-1751), Jesuit
Abandonment to Divine Providence (trans.Algar Thorold)

"Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid"

When one is being led by night across fields, through an unknown roadless country by a guide who follows his own ideas without asking the way of anyone and without revealing his plans, what can one do but abandon oneself to his care? What is the use of trying to find out where one is, of asking the passers-by or of looking at the map? The intentions... of a guide who insists on our trusting him will be contrary to all that. He will take pleasure in confounding the soul's anxiety and suspicions. He demands a complete confidence in himself...

The divine action is essentially good. it needs neither reform nor control. It commenced at the moment of the Creation and up to this moment it has brought forth novelties, its operations have no limits, its fecundity is never exhausted. This was done yesterday, something else is done today; the same action which is applied at all moments produces constantly new effects, and its manifestations will go on eternally
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:38

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 17 October 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, St. Ignatius of Antioch

Letter of the church of Smyrna concerning its martyrs : "Everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge"

Letter to the Romans 4:13.16-18.

It was not through the law that the promise was made to Abraham and his descendants that he would inherit the world, but through the righteousness that comes from faith. For this reason, it depends on faith, so that it may be a gift, and the promise may be guaranteed to all his descendants, not to those who only adhere to the law but to those who follow the faith of Abraham, who is the father of all of us, as it is written, "I have made you father of many nations." He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into being what does not exist. He believed, hoping against hope, that he would become "the father of many nations," according to what was said, "Thus shall your descendants be."

Psalms 105(104):6-7.8-9.42-43.

You descendants of Abraham his servant, offspring of Jacob the chosen one!
The LORD is our God who rules the whole earth.
He remembers forever his covenant, the pact imposed for a thousand generations,
Which was made with Abraham, confirmed by oath to Isaac,
For he remembered his sacred word to Abraham his servant.
He brought his people out with joy, his chosen ones with shouts of triumph.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:8-12.

I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God. Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven. When they take you before synagogues and before rulers and authorities, do not worry about how or what your defense will be or about what you are to say. For the holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say."

Commentary of the day :

Letter of the church of Smyrna concerning its martyrs (c.155)
(Acts of the Christian Martyrs, trans. Herbert Musurillo; cf. SC 10)

"Everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge"

The most admirable of the martyrs was Polycarp. When he heard of all that had taken place, he was not disturbed and even decided to stay in Smyrna; but most people advised him to slip out quietly. And so he left secretly for a small estate on the outskirts, staying there with a few friends. Day and night he did little else but pray for everyone and for all the churches scattered throughout the world, as he was indeed accustomed to do...

The police and cavalry set out... with the usual arms as though against a brigand. It was late in the evening when they closed in: they found him reclining in a small room upstairs. He could have left and gone elsewhere but he refused, saying: «May the will of God be done.» And so, hearing that they had arrived he went downstairs to talk with them, while all those present were surprised at his composure and his old age, and why there should have been such concern to capture so elderly a man. At any rate Polycarp immediately ordered food and drink to be set before them, as much as they wished, even at this hour, and only requested that they might grant him an hour to pray undisturbed. When they consented, he stood up and began to pray..., and so full was he of God's grace that he was unable to stop for two hours, to the amazement of those who heard him, and many were sorry that they had come out to arrest such a godlike old man.

Finally he finished his prayer, after calling to mind all those who had ever come into contact with him, both important and insignificant, famous and obscure, and the entire Catholic Church scattered throughout the world. It was now time to go, and so they put him on a donkey and thus conducted him into the city. It was a great Sabbath day.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:48

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 18 October 2009
Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Luke, Evangelist (Feast)

Saint Thomas Aquinas : "Whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant"

Book of Isaiah 53:10-11.

(But the LORD was pleased to crush him in infirmity.) If he gives his life as an offering for sin, he shall see his descendants in a long life, and the will of the LORD shall be accomplished through him. Because of his affliction he shall see the light in fullness of days; Through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear.

Psalms 33(32):4-5.18-19.20.22.

For the LORD'S word is true; all his works are trustworthy.
The LORD loves justice and right and fills the earth with goodness.
But the LORD'S eyes are upon the reverent, upon those who hope for his gracious help,
Delivering them from death, keeping them alive in times of famine.
Our soul waits for the LORD, who is our help and shield.
May your kindness, LORD, be upon us; we have put our hope in you.

Letter to the Hebrews 4:14-16.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin. So let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 10:35-45.

Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him and said to him, "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you." He replied, "What do you wish (me) to do for you?" They answered him, "Grant that in your glory we may sit one at your right and the other at your left." Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are asking. Can you drink the cup that I drink or be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?" They said to him, "We can." Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink, you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at my right or at my left is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared." When the ten heard this, they became indignant at James and John. Jesus summoned them and said to them, "You know that those who are recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones make their authority over them felt. But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), Dominican theologian, Doctor of the Church
On the Apostles' Creed (Collationes In Symbolum apostolorum, art. 4 § 64.70.72-76; (trans. Joseph Collins)

"Whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant"

What need was there that the Son of God should suffer for us? There was great need: and indeed it can be assigned to two reasons. The first is that it was a remedy against sin, and the second is for an example of what we should do... For the Passion of Christ can bring about a complete reformation of our lives... If you seek an example of charity, then «no one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends» (Jn 15,13)... If you seek an example of patience, you will find it in its highest degree on the cross... Christ suffered greatly upon the cross and with all patience, because «when he was insulted, he returned no insult» (1Pt 2,23), «like a lamb led to the slaughter, he opened not his mouth» (Is 53,7)... «Let us persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame» (Heb 12,1-2).

If you seek an example of humility, look upon him who is crucified; although he was God, he chose to be judged by Pontius Pilate and put to death... If you seek an example of obedience, imitate him who was obedient to the Father «even to death» (Phil 2,8). «For just as through the disobedience of one person, Adam, the many were made sinners, so through the obedience of one the many will be made righteous» (Rom 5,19)... If you seek an example of contempt for earthly things, imitate him who is «King of kings and Lord of lords» (1Tm 6,15), «in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge» (Col 2,3). On the cross he was stripped naked, ridiculed, spat upon, bruised, crowned with thorns, given to drink of vinegar and gall.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:52

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 19 October 2009
Monday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Paul of the Cross, Priest (1693-1775), Sts. Isaac Jogues, John de Brebeuf and Companions

Saint Basil : «What shall I do? For I do not have space to store my harvest »

Letter to the Romans 4:20-25.

He did not doubt God's promise in unbelief; rather, he was empowered by faith and gave glory to God and was fully convinced that what he had promised he was also able to do. That is why "it was credited to him as righteousness." But it was not for him alone that it was written that "it was credited to him"; it was also for us, to whom it will be credited, who believe in the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, who was handed over for our transgressions and was raised for our justification.

Lk 1:69-70.71-72.73-75.

He has raised up a horn for our salvation within the house of David his servant,
even as he promised through the mouth of his holy prophets from of old:
salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us,
to show mercy to our fathers and to be mindful of his holy covenant
and of the oath he swore to Abraham our father, and to grant us that,
rescued from the hand of enemies, without fear we might worship him
in holiness and righteousness before him all our days.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:13-21.

Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me." He replied to him, "Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?" Then he said to the crowd, "Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions." Then he told them a parable. "There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?' And he said, 'This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!" But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?' Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Basil (c.330-379), monk and Bishop of Caesarea in Cappadocia, Doctor of the Church
Sermon 6,on wealth; PG 31, 261f.

«What shall I do? For I do not have space to store my harvest »

«What shall I do?» There was a ready response to this: «I will satisfy hungry souls, open up my barns, call in everyone in need... I will speak out words of generosity: all you who are short of bread, come to me; each according to your needs, take your share of God's gifts flowing like a public fountain». Yet you, you foolish rich man, are very far from doing this! And why? Jealous of seeing others enjoy their wealth you give yourself up to wretched calculations: you are not anxious about how to distribute to each according to their need but how to take everything and deprive everyone else of the profit they might have drawn from it...

So then, my brethren, take care you don't experience the same fate as that man! If Scripture gives us this example it is so that we can avoid behaving in the same way. Imitate the earth: bear fruit and don't prove yourself worse than it, soulless as it is. It yields crops, not for its own pleasure but to serve you. To the contrary, all the fruit of the kindnesses you show will be gathered for yourself since the graces that arise from good works return to those who bestow them. You have given to the hungry and what you gave remains with you and even comes back to you with increase. As the grain of wheat that fell into the earth brings profit to the sower so the bread given to the hungry will bring you superabundant profit later on. May the end of all your labours be for you the commencement of your sowing in heaven.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:56

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 21 October 2009
Wednesday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Celine

Saint Fulgentius of Ruspe : « Servants of Christ and stewards of God's mysteries » (1Cor 4,1)

Letter to the Romans 6:12-18.

Therefore, sin must not reign over your mortal bodies so that you obey their desires. And do not present the parts of your bodies to sin as weapons for wickedness, but present yourselves to God as raised from the dead to life and the parts of your bodies to God as weapons for righteousness. For sin is not to have any power over you, since you are not under the law but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? Of course not! Do you not know that if you present yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that, although you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient from the heart to the pattern of teaching to which you were entrusted. Freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.

Psalms 124(123):1-3.4-6.7-8.

A song of ascents. Of David. I Had not the LORD been with us, let Israel say,
Had not the LORD been with us, when people rose against us,
They would have swallowed us alive, for their fury blazed against us.
The waters would have engulfed us, the torrent overwhelmed us;
seething waters would have drowned us.
Blessed be the LORD, who did not leave us to be torn by their fangs.
We escaped with our lives like a bird from the fowler's snare; the snare was broken and we escaped.
Our help is the name of the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:39-48.

Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour when the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come." Then Peter said, "Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?" And the Lord replied, "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute (the) food allowance at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master on arrival finds doing so. Truly, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property. But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, to eat and drink and get drunk, then that servant's master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the unfaithful. That servant who knew his master's will but did not make preparations nor act in accord with his will shall be beaten severely; and the servant who was ignorant of his master's will but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating shall be beaten only lightly. Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Fulgentius of Ruspe (467-532), Bishop in North Africa
Sermon 1 ; CCL 91A, 889

« Servants of Christ and stewards of God's mysteries » (1Cor 4,1)

Our Lord spoke these words, recorded by the Gospel, to clarify the function of the servants he had set at the head of his people: «Who is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute the food allowance at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master on arrival finds doing so». Who is that steward, my friends? Undoubtedly, it is Christ, who said to his disciples: «You call me 'teacher' and 'master', and rightly so, for indeed I am» (Jn 13,13). And what is that master's household? Surely the one that our Lord himself redeemed from the hands of the enemy and took to himself. This household is the holy and universal Church, spreading with remarkable fecundity throughout the world and priding itself on having been redeemed at the price of his blood...

But who is the faithful and wise steward? The apostle Paul shows us when he says – speaking of himself and his companions – «One should regard us as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Now it is of course required of stewards that they be found trustworthy» (1Cor 4,1-2). And lest any of you should think that only the apostles became stewards or lest some lazy and unfaithful servant should abandon the spiritual combat and fall asleep, the holy apostle demonstrates that bishops are just as much stewards, too: «As God's steward», he says, «a bishop must be irreproachable» (Ti 1,7). Therefore we are servants of the householder, stewards of our Lord, and it is we who have received the measure of wheat to be distributed among you.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 15:59

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 22 October 2009
Thursday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Mary Salome, St. Mello, Bishop

Saint Ambrose : "Everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother... for the sake of my name, will receive a hundred times more » (Mt 19,29)

Letter to the Romans 6:19-23.

I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your nature. For just as you presented the parts of your bodies as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness for lawless ness, so now present them as slaves to righteousness for sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free from righteousness. But what profit did you get then from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now that you have been freed from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit that you have leads to sanctification, and its end is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalms 1:1-2.3.4.6.

Happy those who do not follow the counsel of the wicked, Nor go the way of sinners, nor sit in company with scoffers.
Rather, the law of the LORD is their joy; God's law they study day and night.
They are like a tree planted near streams of water, that yields its fruit in season; Its leaves never wither; whatever they do prospers.
But not the wicked! They are like chaff driven by the wind.
The LORD watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked leads to ruin.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:49-53.

I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing! There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on the Gospel of Luke, 7, 134 (cf. SC 52, p. 55f.)

"Everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother... for the sake of my name, will receive a hundred times more » (Mt 19,29)

In almost every passage of Scripture the spiritual meaning plays an important part. But in this passage especially we must look for spiritual depth within the thread of its meaning... How is it that he himself can say: «Peace I leave with you, my own peace I give you» (Jn 14,27) if he has come to divide fathers from their sons, sons from their fathers, breaking their connection? How can we be called «cursed if you dishonor your father» (Dt 27,16) yet fervent if we abandon him?

If we understand that religion comes first and filial devotion second then we will understand this question to be clarified: for we have to pass on to the human after the divine. For if we have duties towards our parents, how much more to the Father of our parents to whom we owe thanksgiving for our parents?... He doesn't say, then, that we must give up those we love but that we must prefer God before all else. Besides, do we not find in another book: «Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me» (Mt 10,37). What is forbidden is not to love your parents but to prefer them to God. For our blood relations are among God's blessings and no one is to love the good things they have received more than the God who conserves the blessings he has given.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 16:04

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 23 October 2009
Friday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Saint John of Capistrano, priest (+1456)

Pope Benedict XVI: Recognizing here and now the goods of eternity

Letter to the Romans 7:18-25.

For I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh. The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not. For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want. Now if (I) do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand. For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Therefore, I myself, with my mind, serve the law of God but, with my flesh, the law of sin.

Psalms 119:66.68.76.77.93.94.

Teach me wisdom and knowledge, for in your commands I trust.
You are good and do what is good; teach me your laws.
May your love comfort me in accord with your promise to your servant.
Show me compassion that I may live, for your teaching is my delight.
I will never forget your precepts; through them you give me life.
I am yours; save me, for I cherish your precepts.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:54-59.

He also said to the crowds, "When you see (a) cloud rising in the west you say immediately that it is going to rain--and so it does; and when you notice that the wind is blowing from the south you say that it is going to be hot--and so it is. You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky; why do you not know how to interpret the present time? Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right? If you are to go with your opponent before a magistrate, make an effort to settle the matter on the way; otherwise your opponent will turn you over to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the constable, and the constable throw you into prison. I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny."

Commentary of the day :

Pope Benedict XVI
Encyclical « Caritas in veritate », 7 (©Libreria Editrice Vaticana)

Recognizing here and now the goods of eternity

The good of the individual is a good that is linked to living in society: the common good. It is the good of «all of us», made up of individuals, families and intermediate groups who together constitute society. It is a good that is sought not for its own sake, but for the people who belong to the social community... To desire the common good and strive towards it is a requirement of justice and charity...

Every Christian is called to practise this charity, in a manner corresponding to his vocation and according to the degree of influence he wields in the pólis. This is the institutional path — we might also call it the political path — of charity, no less excellent and effective than the kind of charity which encounters the neighbour directly, outside the institutional mediation of the pólis. When animated by charity, commitment to the common good has greater worth than a merely secular and political stand would have. Like all commitment to justice, it has a place within the testimony of divine charity that paves the way for eternity through temporal action.

Man's earthly activity, when inspired and sustained by charity, contributes to the building of the universal city of God, which is the goal of the history of the human family. In an increasingly globalized society, the common good and the effort to obtain it cannot fail to assume the dimensions of the whole human family, that is to say, the community of peoples and nations, in such a way as to shape the earthly city in unity and peace, rendering it to some degree an anticipation and a prefiguration of the undivided city of God.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 16:09

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 24 October 2009
Saturday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Anthony Mary Claret, Archbishop (1807-1870), St. Magloire, Bishop (+ c. 575)

Didache : «Choose life» (Dt 30,19)

Letter to the Romans 8:1-11.

Hence, now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has freed you from the law of sin and death. For what the law, weakened by the flesh, was powerless to do, this God has done: by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for the sake of sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, so that the righteous decree of the law might be fulfilled in us, who live not according to the flesh but according to the spirit. For those who live according to the flesh are concerned with the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit with the things of the spirit. The concern of the flesh is death, but the concern of the spirit is life and peace. For the concern of the flesh is hostility toward God; it does not submit to the law of God, nor can it; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you. Whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness. If the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also, through his Spirit that dwells in you.

Psalms 24(23):1-2.3-4.5-6.

A psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S and all it holds, the world and those who live there.
For God founded it on the seas, established it over the rivers.
Who may go up the mountain of the LORD? Who can stand in his holy place?
"The clean of hand and pure of heart, who are not devoted to idols, who have not sworn falsely.
They will receive blessings from the LORD, and justice from their saving God.
Such are the people that love the LORD, that seek the face of the God of Jacob." Selah

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:1-9.

At that time some people who were present there told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the blood of their sacrifices. He said to them in reply, "Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were greater sinners than all other Galileans? By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did! Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them --do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem? By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!" And he told them this parable: "There once was a person who had a fig tree planted in his orchard, and when he came in search of fruit on it but found none, he said to the gardener, 'For three years now I have come in search of fruit on this fig tree but have found none. (So) cut it down. Why should it exhaust the soil?' He said to him in reply, 'Sir, leave it for this year also, and I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it; it may bear fruit in the future. If not you can cut it down.'"

Commentary of the day :

Didache (between 60-120), judeo-christian catechesis
§ 1-6 (trans. Maxwell Staniforth)

«Choose life» (Dt 30,19)

There are two ways: a way of life and a way of death, and the difference between these two ways is great. The way of life is this: you shall love first the Lord your Creator, and secondly your neighbour as yourself; and you shall do nothing to anyone that you would not wish to be done to yourself. What you may learn from those words is to bless those who curse you, to pray for your enemies, and to fast for your persecutors. For where is the merit in loving only those who return your love? Even the heathen do as much as that. But if you love those who hate you, you will have nobody to be your enemy. Beware of the carnal appetites of the body...

The second commandment in the teaching means: Commit no murder, adultery, sodomy, fornication, or theft. Practise no magic, sorcery, abortion, or infanticide. See that you do not covet anything your neighbour possesses, and never be guilty of perjury, false witness, slander, or malice. Do not equivocate in thought or speech, for a double tongue is a deadly snare; the words you speak should not be false or empty phrases, but fraught with purposeful action. You are not to be avaricious or extortionate, and you must resist any temptation to hypocrisy, spitefulness, or superiority. You are to have no malicious designs on a neighbour. You are to cherish no feelings of hatred for anybody; some you are to reprove, some to pray for, and some again to love more than your own life.

Keep away from every bad man, my son, and from all his kind... Take care that nobody tempts you away from the path of this teaching, for such a man's tuition can have nothing to do with God. If you can shoulder the lord's yoke in its entirety, then you will be perfect; but if that is too much for you, do as much as you can.

(Biblical references: Mt 22,37f; 7,12; Tb 4,15; Mt 5,44f; 1Pt 2,11; Ex 20; Mt 24,4)
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 16:13

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 25 October 2009
Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Sts. Crispin & Crispinian, Martyrs (+ c. 287)

Saint Gregory of Nyssa : "Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way"

Book of Jeremiah 31:7-9.

For thus says the LORD: Shout with joy for Jacob, exult at the head of the nations; proclaim your praise and say: The LORD has delivered his people, the remnant of Israel. Behold, I will bring them back from the land of the north; I will gather them from the ends of the world, with the blind and the lame in their midst, The mothers and those with child; they shall return as an immense throng. They departed in tears, but I will console them and guide them; I will lead them to brooks of water, on a level road, so that none shall stumble. For I am a father to Israel, Ephraim is my first-born.

Psalms 126(125):1-3.4-5.6.

A song of ascents. When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, then we thought we were dreaming.
Our mouths were filled with laughter; our tongues sang for joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD had done great things for them."
The LORD has done great things for us; Oh, how happy we were!
Restore again our fortunes, LORD, like the dry stream beds of the Negeb.
Those who sow in tears will reap with cries of joy.
Those who go forth weeping, carrying sacks of seed, Will return with cries of joy, carrying their bundled sheaves.

Letter to the Hebrews 5:1-6.

Every high priest is taken from among men and made their representative before God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal patiently with the ignorant and erring, for he himself is beset by weakness and so, for this reason, must make sin offerings for himself as well as for the people. No one takes this honor upon himself but only when called by God, just as Aaron was. In the same way, it was not Christ who glorified himself in becoming high priest, but rather the one who said to him: "You are my son; this day I have begotten you"; just as he says in another place: "You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 10:46-52.

They came to Jericho. And as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging. On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, son of David, have pity on me." And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he kept calling out all the more, "Son of David, have pity on me." Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." So they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage; get up, he is calling you." He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus. Jesus said to him in reply, "What do you want me to do for you?" The blind man replied to him, "Master, I want to see." Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you." Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Gregory of Nyssa (c.335-395), monk and Bishop
The Life of Moses, II, 231-233, 251-253 (copyright Classics of Western Spirituality)

"Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way"

[The Lord said to Moses on Mount Sinai: «Let me see your glory!» He answered: «I will make all my beauty pass before you... But my face you cannot see» (Ex 33,18f).] Such an experience seems to me to belong to the soul which loves what is beautiful. Hope always draws the soul from the beauty which is seen to what is beyond... And the bold request which goes up the mountains of desire asks this: to enjoy the Beauty not in mirrors and reflections, but face to face. The divine voice granted what was requested in what was denied...: the munificence of God assented to the fulfilment of the desire but did not promise any cessation or satiety of the desire... The true sight of God consists in this, that the one who looks up to God never ceases in that desire. For he says: «You cannot see my face and live»...

But when the Lord who spoke to Moses came to fulfill his own law, he likewise gave a clear explanation to his disciples, laying bare the meaning of what had previously been said in a figure when he said: «If anyone wants to be a follower of mine « (Lk 9,23) and not "If any man will go before me." And to the one asking about eternal life he proposes the same thing, for he says: «Come, follow me» (Lk 18,22). Now, he who follows sees the back. So Moses, who eagerly seeks to behold God, is now taught how he can behold Him: to follow God wherever he might lead is to behold God...

Someone who does not know the way cannot complete his journey safely in any other way than by following behind his guide. He who leads, then, by his guidance shows the way to the one following. He who follows will not turn aside from the right way if he always keeps the back of his leader in view. For he who moves to one side or brings himself to face his guide assumes another direction for himself than the one his guide shows him. Therefore God says to the one who is led: «My face is not to be seen», that is, «Do not face your guide». If he does so, his course will certainly be in the opposite direction... You see how it is so great a thing to learn how to follow God... No longer does any offense which comes about through evil withstand the one who thus follows him.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Mon Oct 26 2009, 16:19

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 26 October 2009
Monday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Demetrius, St. Evaristus, Pope and Martyr (+ 112)

Gregory of Narek : "She at once stood up straight and glorified God"

Letter to the Romans 8:12-17.

Consequently, brothers, we are not debtors to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received a spirit of adoption, through which we cry, "Abba, Father!" The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if only we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.

Psalms 68:2.4.6-7.20-21.

God will arise for battle; the enemy will be scattered; those who hate God will flee.
Then the just will be glad; they will rejoice before God; they will celebrate with great joy.
Father of the fatherless, defender of widows-- this is the God whose abode is holy,
Who gives a home to the forsaken, who leads prisoners out to prosperity, while rebels live in the desert.
Blessed be the Lord day by day, God, our salvation, who carries us. Selah
Our God is a God who saves; escape from death is in the LORD God's hands.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:10-17.

He was teaching in a synagogue on the sabbath. And a woman was there who for eighteen years had been crippled by a spirit; she was bent over, completely incapable of standing erect. When Jesus saw her, he called to her and said, "Woman, you are set free of your infirmity." He laid his hands on her, and she at once stood up straight and glorified God. But the leader of the synagogue, indignant that Jesus had cured on the sabbath, said to the crowd in reply, "There are six days when work should be done. Come on those days to be cured, not on the sabbath day." The Lord said to him in reply, "Hypocrites! Does not each one of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his ass from the manger and lead it out for watering? This daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound for eighteen years now, ought she not to have been set free on the sabbath day from this bondage?" When he said this, all his adversaries were humiliated; and the whole crowd rejoiced at all the splendid deeds done by him.

Commentary of the day :

Gregory of Narek (c.944-1010), Armenian monk and poet
Book of prayers, n°18 (SC 78, p. 123 rev.)

"She at once stood up straight and glorified God"

There was a time when I was not, and you created me.
I had not prayed yet you made me.
I had not yet come into the light yet you saw me.
I had not appeared yet you took pity on me.
I had not invoked you yet you cared for me.
I had not signalled yet you looked at me.
I had not craved your pardon yet you had mercy on me.
I had not breathed a word yet you heard me.
I had not sighed yet you listened.

Even though you knew what would now happen to me
you did not despise me.
Even after considering with your foreseeing gaze
the offences of the sinner that I am,
you nonetheless formed me.
And even now may I, whom you created,
whom you saved,
who have been the object of such care,
not be lost forever by the wounds of sins
aroused in me by the Accuser!...

Bound, paralyzed,
bent double like the afflicted woman,
my poor soul is unable to stand upright.
It cleaves to the earth beneath the weight of sin
because of Satan's heavy bonds...
Incline towards me, Merciful One,
poor fallen, thinking tree.
Make me flower again in beauty and splendor,
I who am withered and dry,
according to the divine words spoken by the holy prophet (Ez 17,22-24)...
You who alone are our Protector
deign to cast your glance at me
out of the concern of your inexpressible love...
and, out of nothing, you will create within me
light itself. (cf. Gn 1,3).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   Tue Oct 27 2009, 17:01

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 27 October 2009
Tuesday of the Thirtieth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Frumentius, Bishop (4th century)

Saint Maximus of Turin : "It is like a mustard seed that a person took and planted in the garden"

Letter to the Romans 8:18-25.

I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us. For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God; for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it, in hope that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now; and not only that, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, we also groan within ourselves as we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance.

Psalms 126(125):1-3.4-5.6.

A song of ascents. When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, then we thought we were dreaming.
Our mouths were filled with laughter; our tongues sang for joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD had done great things for them."
The LORD has done great things for us; Oh, how happy we were!
Restore again our fortunes, LORD, like the dry stream beds of the Negeb.
Those who sow in tears will reap with cries of joy.
Those who go forth weeping, carrying sacks of seed, Will return with cries of joy, carrying their bundled sheaves.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 13:18-21.

Then he said, "What is the kingdom of God like? To what can I compare it? It is like a mustard seed that a person took and planted in the garden. When it was fully grown, it became a large bush and 'the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches.'" Again he said, "To what shall I compare the kingdom of God? It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed (in) with three measures of wheat flour until the whole batch of dough was leavened."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Maximus of Turin (?-c.420), Bishop
Sermon 26 (Migne 1996, p. 124)

"It is like a mustard seed that a person took and planted in the garden"

With regard to the Gospel's words: «A man took it and sowed it in his garden», who do you think is this man who sowed the seed he had received like a mustard seed in his garden plot? I myself think it is he of whom the Gospel says: «Now there was a man named Joseph, a member of the council, from Arimathea»... He went to Pilate. He asked permission to take down the Lord's body and bury it. When permission was granted he placed it in the tomb he had prepared in his garden (cf. Lk 23,50-53). That is why Scripture says: «A man took it and buried it in his garden». In Joseph's garden there mingled the scent of many different flowers but such a seed as this had never yet been placed there. The spiritual garden of his soul was embalmed with the scent of his virtue but Christ's embalmed body had not yet occupied its place. When he buried the Savior in the memorial place of his garden, he received him even more deeply into the crevice of his heart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next